Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

2 minutes ago, TtomTerrific said:

did either Slater or Johnny transform this program? 

fuck... my favorite player ever is Travis Mays, but I still understand who should be front and center on a picture of Longhorn greats

Slater and Junior played in a much different time. That question doesn't apply. I believe that picture was of KD's team and not a picture of Longhorn greats.

Supposedly Shaka offered one of my guys today- KJ Adams, a soon-to-be sophomore. He's a good kid and a great athlete. His mom played ball at A&M, but he did come over to us from St.Stephens where he knew Jarrett Allen. No telling where he's going to end up at this point, but I'm happy for him regardless. We have a pretty good young team with a bunch of talented, high character guys. Looking forward to the future at SAS.

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

Supposedly Shaka offered one of my guys today- KJ Adams, a soon-to-be sophomore. He's a good kid and a great athlete. His mom played ball at A&M, but he did come over to us from St.Stephens where he knew Jarrett Allen. No telling where he's going to end up at this point, but I'm happy for him regardless. We have a pretty good young team with a bunch of talented, high character guys. Looking forward to the future at SAS.

Yep. You should let him know the proper nomenclature for UT, though.

Edited by Machinator

9 hours ago, GotThatFire said:

I’m saying I don’t know why people get butthurt when aggy says Texas University, it dont make a shit.  It’s not actually an insult or a put down ...

Does it bother you when your boys refer to your fire dank as shwag?

• Like 1

Recruiting notes from Inside Texas:

BASKETBALL

With the July recruiting period now squarely upon us, basketball recruiting will go from theoretical to practical as we make our way closer to the November signing period. The EYBL and Gauntlet series from April gave coaches an evaluation opportunity for prospects playing against other recruits of comparable ability. From those evaluations, coaches make contact and decide who to further evaluate and pursue during July.

For Shaka Smart and Texas, July represents an interesting time for the future of the program.

For the first time since, well, ever, Shaka’s current roster has veteran, experienced leadership with players who have been through the toils of a Big 12 schedule, qualified for an NCAA berth and not left for greener pastures elsewhere (well, other than Mo who everybody knew was gone, and Banks and Young).

We know that Osetkowski and Roach, both seniors, will need to be replaced after this season. There is a possibility that Sims or Coleman could leave, though I’m more likely to see them declare after their junior years rather than sophomore. Andrew Jones, should he return, as is the hope, will almost for sure leave after this year even if it’s simply for the G-League.

So Smart is recruiting with some unknowns but also probably with a sense of knowing that he’ll still have a solid roster (particularly in the backcourt) that he’s working to build upon.

With that in mind, here are the names to keep an eye on with an understanding that the number could be anywhere from two to five (and probably ends up at three):

Will Baker: Two months ago the Austin Westlake five-star was considered more likely to break local hearts by leaving the state than he was to pledge to the Longhorns but that changed after a couple of terrific unofficial visits and the chance to spend time with the current roster on the 40 acres. Keep an eye on Baker as I wouldn’t say a commitment is imminent, but it could happen just about anytime. UCLA is the other team to watch.

Drew Timme: Timme is the big man I would have put money on ending up in burnt orange had you asked me earlier this year but he could well be preempted by Baker. If Baker opts elsewhere, the versatile and tough big man from Richardson would be a terrific fit, especially as a replacement for Osetkowski. It would be shocking for Texas to land both Timme and Baker, so I wouldn’t really bother considering it.

Donovan Williams: The Elkins guard has plenty to play for this summer as he covets a Texas offer and would likely jump on the chance should he get it. Texas will be watching him closely, but he is behind some other options at this point.

Sam Williamson: The Rockwall native is one of the best pure shooters in the country and is my personal favorite wing option Texas is in on in the class. The question for Williamson is that he covets a Kansas offer. As of yet, that hasn’t come and it might not in the future. If so, Texas looks as good as anybody. If KU offers, they become the favorite.

Isaiah Stewart: the bruising big man out of La Lumiere has offers from everybody and Texas will have to fight off the usual blue blooded competition, but Stewart is interested and doesn’t really have a like for like on the current Texas roster, so he could come in right away and be a force.

Any combination of the above would be a stellar class. However, while those are players thus far, Shaka’s previous classes have looked different in May than we assumed they would the previous summer, so expect different names and different focal points to materialize.

Still, with so many high level prospects, much needs to be shown by the 2018-19 Longhorns in order to woo those recruits.

We’ll have a mid-summer review for the guys already in Austin next week.

This will be an interesting cycle based on the numbers. We for sure have 2 scholarships available with Roach and Osetkowski graduating. After that it's a guessing game. Sims and Jones could declare after next season but that's far from a certainty. Maybe there's more attrition. 

Everything points to this being a smaller class around 2 to 4 possible commits/signees. 

I still think Will Baker is headed to UCLA. Texas is the only side that is confident. Most of the national media seems to think he's headed to UCLA. I won't be upset at all if Baker doesn't pick Texas because he's likely a one and done. While different positions/molds I would much rather have somebody like Timme who can do similar things and will be a 3 or 4 year guy. 

I hope we land Donovan Williams at SG. He's only the #98 composite recruit right now but will finish around the 50 range once they adjust the rankings. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Moving forward after this year

PG (Coleman and Ramey): 2

SG (Febres): 1

Combo guards (Long and Jones) Jones is a maybe dependent on what happens this year. So 1 or 2 

SF (Liddell and Cunningham): Cunningham can probably play multiple positions but this is where I'm putting him. 2

PF (Hepa and Hamm): Hepa can probably play the 4 or 5 but putting him here. 2

C (Hayes and Sims) Sims is a maybe dependent on what happens this year. So 1 or 2

We should be good at point. Priority probably needs to be 1) another shooting/combo guard 2) another big and 3) another SF. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Moving forward after this year
PG (Coleman and Ramey): 2
SG (Febres): 1
Combo guards (Long and Jones) : Jones is a maybe dependent on what happens this year. So 1 or 2 
SF (Liddell and Cunningham): Cunningham can probably play multiple positions but this is where I'm putting him. 2
PF (Hepa and Hamm): Hepa can probably play the 4 or 5 but putting him here. 2
C (Hayes and Sims) : Sims is a maybe dependent on what happens this year. So 1 or 2
We should be good at point. Priority probably needs to be 1) another shooting/combo guard 2) another big and 3) another SF. 

Could Coleman declare after this year?

23 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

You have to like our chances here if John Lucas is involved. His son Jai is on staff. 

The IT guys think this is the offer Williams has been waiting for.

NEW BASKETBALL OFFER OUT

Donovan Williams... the offer he desired came through recently.

“Man, it felt good and it just shows all my hard work has been paying off," Williams said. 

The Fort Bend Elkins four-Star tripped to Texas last Monday.

“I visited campus and really enjoyed the trip," said Williams, who holds offers from Texas, Miami, Arizona State, and SMU among others.

The 6-foot-5, 190-pounder is the definition of a combo guard. “It was great, got to see the facilities and meet all the coaches, and even watch some of the players workout.”

Shaka Smart has shown he can recruit. Williams agrees. 

“I think coach Smart is really genuine and real,” said Williams. “The players are dedicated to their development and making each other better.”

17 minutes ago, Tony Soprano said:

I hope that Baker is more than a one year guy. Timme is a stud and likely to play 3 or 4 years. I wonder if we have any shot at him.

The problem is we probably have a much better shot of landing Baker because he's in our backyard. Baker is definitely the better player but is likely a one and done candidate. 

Duke is starting to show real interest in Timme. If they offer it's probably game over in that recruitment. 

Edited by texasstrong12
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Very unlikely Baker and Timme end up at the same school. I guess it could happen but probably doubtful. 

Just sell them on being the second set of twin towers in the state of Texas's basketball history to feature a Timme/Timmy.

Edited by Katfid54

Just now, Bolero88 said:

Timme and Baker both look weak and terrible on defense. Hope they improve in college. Timme definitely looks more skilled offensively at this point, at least from that game's highlights. 

Please write a letter saying this and mail it to Coach K.

37 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Some serious talent on that floor.  Do want pretty much all of both teams.

That Drive Nation team (white jerseys) is loaded. 

Williamson #10 is another player we want this cycle but is probably headed to Kansas. 

Cade Cunningham #25 is the 13th ranked recruit in the '20 cycle. 

Ramsey #20 is the 34th ranked recruit in the '19 cycle. 

Iwuakor #0 is the 166th ranked recruit in the '19 cycle. 

There's some other D1 players on that team too. 

43 minutes ago, DeAngelloBeige said:

Baker looks slow on defense, not even a threat to challenge shots in the paint.  I don’t recall him grabbing a rebound in the video either which is pathetic for a 7 footer.  I don’t see the big deal about this kid other than the fact he’s tall

You're reaching these conclusions off a single AAU highlight clip? 

I'm not even saying this as a biased Texas fan because there's a good chance he doesn't end up at Texas. Baker is going to be a first round draft pick in 2 years. Top tier coaches throughout the country want him. 

Watch the move at 5:30 in that highlight clip. There are very few collegiate players at 7 foot that can do that off the dribble. 

Good god. 

Edited by texasstrong12