Texas @ West Virginia Series Thread

Horny Bull

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This weekend saved me the trouble of having hope that the team could pull some magic and win the conference. So it was productive in that way. 

I think it’s still mathematically possible.  Jim Carey GIF.  I mean in a normal year in the big12 you could be safe wiritig our chances off but the league is down this year and some mediocre to decent team is going to win it.

3 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Well, Pierce has almost two years of coaching here.  He needs to show something, find new and better players, and the pitching is gonna have to improve....big time...  CDC is watching.

We were ranked #19 in the country coming into the weekend in the 2nd year. 

Pierce is nowhere even close to the hot seat. "CDC isn't watching" anything in relation to Pierce. It's year 2 and they've been a fringe top 20/25 team in both years. 

Edited by texasstrong12

14 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

We were ranked #19 in the country coming into the weekend in the 2nd year. 

Pierce is nowhere even close to the hot seat. "CDC isn't watching" anything in relation to Pierce. It's year 2 and they've been a fringe top 20/25 team in both years. 

CDC damn well better be watching Pierce but simply because that is his job.  Pierce should not be on the hotseat by any means though.  He does need to find a real pitching coach in a bad way.

Augie's first 3 years at Texas:

Missed the postseason 2/3 years, won 1 postseason game against Texas State. Finished  46th, 51st, and 27th in RPI. 

Pierce in his 2nd year at Texas:

Will likely make the postseason in both years and already won 2 postseason games. Finished 16th in RPI in year 1 and is currently 30th in RPI in year 2. 

I'm not arguing that Pierce > Augie but there's absolutely no reason he should be anywhere close to the hot seat. I'm just glad Augie didn't start his career in this era because there's no doubt people would have been calling for his head after year 2 and 3. 

Edited by texasstrong12

5 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Missed the postseason 2/3 years, won 1 postseason game against Texas State. Finished  46th, 51st, and 27th in RPI. 

Will likely make the postseason in both years and already won 2 postseason games. Finished 16th in RPI in year 1 and is currently 30th in RPI in year 2. 

I'm not arguing that Pierce > Augie but there's absolutely no reason he should be anywhere close to the hot seat. I'm just glad Augie didn't start his career in this era because there's no doubt people would have been calling for his head after year 2 and 3. 

People were calling for his head 20 years ago.  But yeah, Pierce gets more time.  In keeping with our other recent hires, it appears that assistant coaches need to change a bit.  It's startling a) that we have a volunteer pitching coach and b) what we're seeing from the pitching, which is decenially bad.  The latter may not be related to the former, but item a) is fairly disturbing.  The pitchers that are really stinking up the joint are Augie/Skip recruits, the young'uns remain to be seen.  What appears to be the regression (appearances can be deceiving, though), at least superficially indicate the perhaps a volunteer coach isn't the way to go, or not this particular volunteer coach.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Joe Cook at IT summarized my thoughts perfectly on this. 

Remains a valid point.  Strong had to go, I suppose, but we sort of treat it as carte blanche to start dismissing coaches after 3 years, which I agree is bad business.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Pierce isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.  We understand that.  We all want to see progress, better play, better pitching, hell,  better everything....and better players.  It's just extremely aggravating watching this team, at times.  We are spoiled and want a much better team than what we are watching.  Pierce will have the opportunity to do what he was brought here to do.    We expect him to be successful.

• Like 1

Just now, Cairn Horn88 said:

Pierce isn't going anywhere, anytime soon.  We understand that.  We all want to see progress, better play, better pitching, hell,  better everything....and better players.  It's just extremely aggravating watching this team, at times.  We are spoiled and want a much better team than what we are watching.  Pierce will have the opportunity to do what he was brought here to do.    We expect him to be successful.

As with most things these days, it seems talent is a bit/lot more spread out than it used to be.  TCU is objectively a better program over the last decade.  Rice is as good or better.  OSU is coming back, OU can always threaten for talent if they avoid coaching mistakes.  Tadlock seems to have it going on. Et cetera, etc.  Pierce is going to have a harder go of it than Garrido did, because he's not Garrido and Texas isn't Texas anymore.

• Like 1

Comparing Augue to Pierce based on their starts at UT is pretty stupid considering what Augue had accomplished prior to getting here.  Augie was a proven coach,  nobody knows what Pierce is yet.  That said he’s not going anywhere in the near term.

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Comparing Augue to Pierce based on their starts at UT is pretty stupid considering what Augue had accomplished prior to getting here.  Augie was a proven coach,  nobody knows what Pierce is yet.  That said he’s not going anywhere in the near term.

This is true, but we do know that he's never failed to reach the post season. That's something.

1 hour ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

If he doesn’t get to the CWS by year 4, he gone. Texas Baseball has the highest expectations on the 40 of the big 3.

47 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

That's fair, I guess. 

If we hired a "proven coach" and he struggled in his first 3 years I bet it wouldn't make a difference. There would still be people calling for his head. 

Proven coach or not, they deserve time. 

2 minutes ago, Tailleur17 said:

If he doesn’t get to the CWS by year 4, he gone. Texas Baseball has the highest expectations on the 40 of the big 3.

How long does it take to lose those expectations, though?  I suppose USC had really high expectations until the mid 70s.  Aint been shit since.

56 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

How long does it take to lose those expectations, though?  I suppose USC had really high expectations until the mid 70s.  Aint been shit since.

The biggest issue as you alluded to earlier is that there's so much more parity now in college sports. Making the CWS is a lot more difficult now than it was 10 to 15 years ago. 

The USC example is interesting because they are probably about to be on their 5th coach since '06. Trying to replace coaches like Gillespie and Dedeaux is no easy task. I would bet the "expectations" you speak of is a big reason USC has made 1 regional appearance since 2005. They've been going through coaches like it's candy, which isn't healthy for any program. 

Edited by texasstrong12

13 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

People were calling for augie’s head. Laid back California mystic mumbo jumbo doesn’t work at Texas and such things. 

Tech and TCU made one another look quite vulnerable in all aspects of the game at different points this weekend.  I'm still feeling optimistic we can close out the season at 4-2 in conference play.  And of course sweep the two with Texas State.  That's a solid #2 in the conference.  However, I still think that puts us on the bubble to host, so the conference tournament is as critical as ever.  My worry is our staff is nowhere near as deep as it has been in years past.  We can't really make a deep run unless something else clicks.  I worry we go 1-2 or some shit up there and get relegated to a nearby #2.  What are the most likely host teams in the 4-state area?  

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It’ll be after I’m dead that’s for sure. No excuses for Texas not being *the* destination program in this State and we all know Texas high school baseball is the best around.

I’m happy with the defense and the turn around in offense.  Bring in a pitching coach and get that back on track and we should be legit.

i think DP can win it all he’s just going to have a championship experience learning curve that we haven’t had to endure with any Texas baseball coach in all of our lifetimes.

Edited by troph

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

People were calling for augie’s head. Laid back California mystic mumbo jumbo doesn’t work at Texas and such things. 

Yep. I specifically remember sitting in the Disch hearing old timers go off on exactly this same subject during Augie's second year. They'd also scoff and sarcastically reference "Augie-Ball" whenever we'd make some terrible play...which that year, was unfortunately quite often.