Bourbon

Jimbaround

Spec's guy tried to sell me some 6th Street 10 year. I politely listened to pitch and told him I'd think about it. I kind of wish I had pulled the trigger on that one. It's priced pretty well for 10 year old MGP. 
Nobody loves MGP more than you Brick Top. 
Not to be an asshole or anything, but why do people care about the MGP designation? It just feels like wedge marketing that has no real quality difference in the process. Either the whiskey is good or it's not. It's like people that try to tell you old Vines make better wine than new ones.

4 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Spec's guy tried to sell me some 6th Street 10 year. I politely listened to pitch and told him I'd think about it. I kind of wish I had pulled the trigger on that one. It's priced pretty well for 10 year old MGP. 

Not to be an asshole or anything, but why do people care about the MGP designation? It just feels like wedge marketing that has no real quality difference in the process. Either the whiskey is good or it's not. It's like people that try to tell you old Vines make better wine than new ones.

Not sure what you’re getting at. That’s like saying “I dont get why people care about the Buffalo Trace designation”. 

7 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:
12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's like people that try to tell you old Vines make better wine than new ones.

no, those two things are not the same.  it's more like people telling you mass-produced things taste better than hand-crafted ones.  some people like mgp, and you're right the process is the same, you're just skipping a step and paying someone else to do part of the process for you. theres not as much respect in that, compared to a grain to glass outfit. 

no, those two things are not the same.  it's more like people telling you mass-produced things taste better than hand-crafted ones.  some people like mgp, and you're right the process is the same, you're just skipping a step and paying someone else to do part of the process for you. theres not as much respect in that, compared to a grain to glass outfit. 
Tell that to the taters out there pretty please

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I do love me some MGP. But don’t buy the 6th Street. It’s good but way overpriced. 

12 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

I’m sipping the Uncle Nearest right now. I know it’s 2/3 hype and the juice is sourced but damn it’s tasty.

it is tasty.  I actually loved the bottle I bought.  if you read the bio of uncle nearest he sounds remarkably like jack daniels, and he makes bourbon the exact same way as jack daniels. but the bourbon is better.  not sure its worth the $50+ price point but it was pretty good.

6 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

fae4aba1e48d0841b29d334657ee3ddf.jpg

Today’s finds - Excited to try the Nearest!

Store near me raised McKenna B-i-B to $100 after it won the SF competition last year.  Yesterday I saw they had a couple bottles of it on the shelf for $70.  Still could not bring myself to pull the trigger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Store near me raised McKenna B-i-B to $100 after it won the SF competition last year.  Yesterday I saw they had a couple bottles of it on the shelf for $70.  Still could not bring myself to pull the trigger.

It’s an awesome sub $50 bourbon. I think I bought 5-6 bottles the last time I saw it on the shelf for $30.

• Like 1

I've passed on it north of 50. It's good, but not that good, imo.

5 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Ok. One of my 2 best buds is turning 50 this summer and I’ve been searching high and low for a bottle of W12 with zero luck. Online prices are just dumb from what I can find. Any suggestions ?

I’m in Dallas.

I’d reach out to @BigDHornfan. The guy gets more picks than the Patriots. 

If that doesn’t work, I’d go the biggest, ugliest Spec’s in town and spin your yarn. Weller 12 is a tough get. I’ve picked up a liter, one, that’s it, in 3 years. 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2020 at 6:11 PM, Carl Spackler said:

Picked up a bottle for $27 yesterday. They even had it locked up, so I was expecting an exorbitant price.

• Like 1

Is Maker's Mark 101 a distillery only release? I can't find it on the interwebs, and it's not listed on the Maker's website.  The Bourbon Pursuit guys reviewed it recently and gave it a really good review. 
MM101 is supposed to have similar tasting notes to Weller Antique. 
I think it's Kentucky only now, but was originally distillery only. I've seen it pop up every now and then, but haven't been able to grab one yet.
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Is Maker's Mark 101 a distillery only release? I can't find it on the interwebs, and it's not listed on the Maker's website.  The Bourbon Pursuit guys reviewed it recently and gave it a really good review. 

I think it's Kentucky only now, but was originally distillery only. I've seen it pop up every now and then, but haven't been able to grab one yet.

Thanks for clearing that up. Antique is the same price, and probably superior, but I’d still like to try MM101. 

Thanks for clearing that up. Antique is the same price, and probably superior, but I’d still like to try MM101. 
Yeah I would like to grab one too. One difference between antique is I believe the MM101 is 1 liter at around 50 bucks, not positive though. Costco near me put out a pallet of them right before covid hit for like 42 dollars each, they went fast.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It started as a duty free store exclusive, then went to distillery and select KY stores.
I have about a third of a bottle left and it is pretty damn good.  It is similar to OWA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:

Yeah I would like to grab one too. One difference between antique is I believe the MM101 is 1 liter at around 50 bucks, not positive though. Costco near me put out a pallet of them right before covid hit for like 42 dollars each, they went fast.

Correct. MM101 is one liter, so a little extra value. I assume the MM101 price will be less in Texas. It seems like everything is $5-10 cheaper here than the national average MSRP. Maker's Cask Strength is only $40 at Spec's. 

8 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Made a Queen Bee tonight... just what the doctor ordered on a hot day.

c1fe71c80de10fb00e3f454df591bca4.jpg81d24cab8eb0ad190ac5295e204cd035.jpg

Is it better than the Buffalo Trace Root Beer Ice Cream Float? 

Buffalo Float – The grown up Root Beer Float!

2 oz  Buffalo Trace Distillery Bourbon Cream

4 oz root beer

Combine in glass and serve.
For extra richness, pour over 1 scoop vanilla ice-cream.

It definitely needs the ice cream. Trust me. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Has anyone found Rebel Yell 10 year single barrel?  I’ve been looking for like two months without any luck. 

It’s pretty good, and certainly worth buying. It’s contract distilled by Heaven Hill, and I believe it’s their standard wheater mashbill. It reminds of a better, older Larceny. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It’s pretty good, and certainly worth buying. It’s contract distilled by Heaven Hill, and I believe it’s their standard wheater mashbill. It reminds of a better, older Larceny. 

Where did you find yours?  I’ve had no luck in SA at Total Wine, Twin Liquors, etc. 

Is it better than the Buffalo Trace Root Beer Ice Cream Float? 
Buffalo Float – The grown up Root Beer Float!
2 oz  Buffalo Trace Distillery Bourbon Cream
4 oz root beer
Combine in glass and serve.
For extra richness, pour over 1 scoop vanilla ice-cream.

It definitely needs the ice cream. Trust me. 

I’ll let you know this weekend - The honey took it over the top for sweetness, but damn that Bee was refreshing.

I also hate you. 
I find solace in my love, and the wide availability of Maker’s Mark Private Select. 

Do you like it better than RRSB store picks?
Those have been my go to recently and I think you were the one that turned me in to it some months back on this very thread.

13 minutes ago, TxTower said:

Those have been my go to recently and I think you were the one that turned me in to it some months back on this very thread.

I put them about even but MMPS is about $10 more...

The RRPBS unfiltered is my favorite bottle I can usually find currently.  $59

Very good one from Tony Ks recently

55 minutes ago, TxTower said:

I’m partial to Wild Turkey, but Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel Store picks usually spend 10 years in the barrel. Maker’s Mark Private select is aged 5.75 - 7 years plus an additional 9 weeks undergoing the stave combo process. I’d give the Russell’s the nod, but Maker’s Mark Private Select is good stuff and very unique.

I think both are better than regular Antique if you’re looking for an additional comparison. And I love Antique. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

27 minutes ago, TxTower said:

I’ve had some really really good ones as I kept going back for more and one here lately that was merely very good that I’ve had no problem finishing. But I guess that speaks to the variability of Single Barrel picks.

The place we love to hate, Spec’s, has a very good store pick program. I haven’t tasted one I didn’t enjoy. They might have knowledgeable folks picking them, but I suspect Spec’s is frequently offered the honey barrels at picks. It would make sense. Largest liquor store in the largest bourbon drinking state. 

Huge mentioned Tony K’s in a previous post. Tony K’s is owned by Spec’s. I’m not trying to call Huge out, the guy knows his stuff. But I am attempting to bring attention to how good the Spec’s picks are. 

Total Wine store picks are little hit and miss for me. The locals in Kentucky seem a bit annoyed that Total bullies their competitors. They’re very litigious. I wonder if it’s filtered down to their pick program. 

The place we love to hate, Spec’s, has a very good store pick program. I haven’t tasted one I didn’t enjoy. They might have knowledgeable folks picking them, but I suspect Spec’s is frequently offered the honey barrels at picks. It would make sense. Largest liquor store in the largest bourbon drinking state. 

Huge mentioned Tony K’s in a previous post. Tony K’s is owned by Spec’s. I’m not trying to call Huge out, the guy knows his stuff. But I am attempting to bring attention to how good the Spec’s picks are. 

Total Wine store picks are little hit and miss for me. The locals in Kentucky seem a bit annoyed that Total bullies their competitors. They’re very litigious. I wonder if it’s filtered down to their pick program. 

I snagged a Spec’s 1792 Small Batch pick today. Have you tried that one before?

3 hours ago, huge said:

I put them about even but MMPS is about $10 more...

The RRPBS unfiltered is my favorite bottle I can usually find currently.  $59

Very good one from Tony Ks recently

I have a MMPS from Alamo City Liquors and I really enjoy it, but I have a regular RRSB that I enjoy a bit better. Once I polish off that bottle I’m going to get a RRSB pick from TW and hope it’s better than the regular bottle. The TW by me has their pick of RRSB for like $63, which beats their MMPS by like $8.