Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My thought process on that is that with the high price point on Cigar Blend they probably don’t order too many at a time. 
It may just be a distribution thing. I’ve seen Cigar Blend all over Florida for whatever reason.  I wish our stores here focused on procuring better options than most of the local Texas shit they shill on us. 
Yeah it's not sitting on shelves where I am either but like you said also not the most rare thing in the world. Worst they can say is no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HouTex said:


I’ve seen it at GG lately but not at Spec’s downtown.

I admittedly haven’t looked in a while at that location. 

Total Wine Memorial usually has handles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Did you get both dates?.. I prefer the 14.5 year old from Longhorn Steakhouse put in the barrel on 6/13. 
Local store had both.. or did. 

So is this sold AT the Longhorn Steakhouse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

My thought process on that is that with the high price point on Cigar Blend they probably don’t order too many at a time. 

It may just be a distribution thing. I’ve seen Cigar Blend all over Florida for whatever reason.  I wish our stores here focused on procuring better options than most of the local Texas shit they shill on us. 

Cigar Blend was all over TWs in Houston earlier this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Godzillatron said:


So is this sold AT the Longhorn Steakhouse?

Nope, pretty sure this is over stock from their barrels picked for their Restaurant Group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prob drink as much Weller SR as anyone on this thread, but it’s readily available where I’m at. I’d venture to guess I go through a 1.75 every 2 weeks at a minimum as it’s my everyday drinker. We went through a spell in late June where it was harder to find but it’s back in full force now. Three of us went through an entire 1.75 on Saturday night from seal bust to empty. Sunday sucked balls.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, burns_312 said:

I prob drink as much Weller SR as anyone on this thread, but it’s readily available where I’m at. I’d venture to guess I go through a 1.75 every 2 weeks at a minimum as it’s my everyday drinker. We went through a spell in late June where it was harder to find but it’s back in full force now. Three of us went through an entire 1.75 on Saturday night from seal bust to empty. Sunday sucked balls.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd bet there was some ball sucking on Saturday night, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Specs on Memorial/Westcott usually has a ton of Weller SR including handles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Interesting. That's a postage stamp sized store. 

I drive by it every day on the way home from downtown. For grins, I will go by this evening. I can always use another handle of Weller SR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, HouTex said:


I drive by it every day on the way home from downtown. For grins, I will go by this evening. I can always use another handle of Weller SR.

If my memory serves me correctly, their prices a few dollars higher than larger Spec's stores. They have a really good wine selection, given their size, if you're into that. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If mine memory serves me correctly, their prices a few higher than larger Spec's store. They have a really good wine selection given the size if you're into that. 

Yes, I know the store fairly well. I bought W12 there last summer the day it was released. The guy behind me bought the last bottle. Lately I’ve been going more to GG on Woodway across from Second Baptist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HouTex said:


Yes, I know the store fairly well. I bought W12 there last summer the day it was released. The guy behind me bought the last bottle. Lately I’ve been going more to GG on Woodway across from Second Baptist.

Nice on W12. Mixed feelings about the GG on Woodway. If a bourbon "expert" works there, I still haven't met him. It's always 2-3 people working the registers, one guy stocking, and a manager walking around. I've been in there plenty and I only shop the bourbon/rye aisle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Nice on W12. Mixed feelings about the GG on Woodway. If a bourbon "expert" works there, I still haven't met him. It's always 2-3 people working the registers, one guy stocking, and a manager walking around. I've been in there plenty and I only shop the bourbon/rye aisle. 

That's pretty much my experience with the bourbon guys at that GG, but they are nice guys and I always ask if they have anything nice in the back.  It's been a while, but I've scored W12 there as well as W107.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So is this sold AT the Longhorn Steakhouse?
Negative. Local small liquor store in Euless.


Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2020 at 9:20 PM, Buzzrock said:

Went back for another birthday present and while O was there picked up the Redemption Wheated. I’ve only had a little pour but I think I like it.

I drank a ton of good tequila on Saturday night, and while I didn’t feel great this morning I would have felt worse if it had been bourbon. I may switch to good silver tequilas on the go-hard nights.

Picked up Redemption earlier today.  Wheat's are by far my favorite bourbons.  Thx for the rec.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
c'mon, you don't enjoy hunting unicorns?
waiting in line for overpriced products that end up having a negligible difference in taste/ quality doesn't appeal to you?


Lately I like my bourbon like my guitars: cheap and pretty good and fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Picked up Redemption earlier today.  Wheat's are by far my favorite bourbons.  Thx for the rec.


I’m on my second double pour this evening. I really like it. My buddy with the whiskey bar agrees fwiw.

Wheater fans: pick this one up. I’d put it above Makers Private easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

 


Lately I like my bourbon like my guitars: cheap and pretty good and fun.

 

Got a Maker's Cask Strength 750ml for 39.99 today.  Hoping I didn't bite off more than I can chew with the high proof, but it seemed like a good value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

 


I’m on my second double pour this evening. I really like it. My buddy with the whiskey bar agrees fwiw.

Wheater fans: pick this one up. I’d put it above Makers Private easily.

 

That’s a bold statement my friend 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

 


I’m on my second double pour this evening. I really like it. My buddy with the whiskey bar agrees fwiw.

Wheater fans: pick this one up. I’d put it above Makers Private easily.

 

I’m going to have to double check that statement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Killing a local one not too many people have had. It’s different as it’s 100% Texas Wheat. Distillery is in Forney.
I dig it.
bb8be351b94b1fe59fcbf69695333458.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

That’s a bold statement my friend 

Guess what won this blind with Redemption Wheated, NCF store pick OWA and Maker’s RC6?

7C7932A0-58A1-4B29-99C5-13ADE3E4DC73.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guess what won this blind with Redemption Wheated, NCF store pick OWA and Maker’s RC6?
7C7932A0-58A1-4B29-99C5-13ADE3E4DC73.thumb.jpeg.5b02796cc682a69faa026b7f642ae7ac.jpeg

I guess OWA

(Kind of a joke)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'd bet there was some ball sucking on Saturday night, too. 

Yeah, your mom sucking on mine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got the last Redemption Wheated on the shelf at Twin Liquors South Lamar.  Can’t wait to try it.  

They have a bottles of OWA and Blanton’s and a 375ml of Eagle Rare at the front counter, but they are each bundled with a bottle of something random and you have to buy both to get them. The OWA was over $100 for the pair, so I didn’t bother asking about the other two. Thought someone might be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Druggist said:

Just got the last Redemption Wheated on the shelf at Twin Liquors South Lamar.  Can’t wait to try it.  

They have a bottles of OWA and Blanton’s and a 375ml of Eagle Rare at the front counter, but they are each bundled with a bottle of something random and you have to buy both to get them. The OWA was over $100 for the pair, so I didn’t bother asking about the other two. Thought someone might be interested.

This unfortunately, is getting very popular at liquor stores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

This unfortunately, is getting very popular at liquor stores.

I could see this as a way to cut into the secondary market. If flippers have to take a bite out of their margins by buying a “worthless” bottle (to them), perhaps not as many will be eager to just scoop up allocated bottles. 

For example, right now OWA goes anywhere from $100-120 on secondary.  If they have to drop $100 to flip OWA to maybe make an extra $20, that’s not a great ROI. 

I wouldn’t mind spending $100 on OWA package with whatever they throw in there. At worst you’ve got an extra mixer for your bar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

I could see this as a way to cut into the secondary market. If flippers have to take a bite out of their margins by buying a “worthless” bottle (to them), perhaps not as many will be eager to just scoop up allocated bottles. 

For example, right now OWA goes anywhere from $100-120 on secondary.  If they have to drop $100 to flip OWA to maybe make an extra $20, that’s not a great ROI. 

I wouldn’t mind spending $100 on OWA package with whatever they throw in there. At worst you’ve got an extra mixer for your bar. 

Taking known flippers off their call lists would be more effective. But it’s the Wild West if Total really is going to put every allocated bottle on the shelf. 

I still don’t see the good margins for flippers unless they can get cases of BTAC at MSRP. They could make a lot more money, with a lot less effort working a job instead of flipping Antique. How broke are these assholes?

I think for most, they’re bourbon enthusiasts/hoarders under orders from their wives to clear out the pantry. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The flippers will stay until demand subsides or distilleries raise their price. Distilleries won’t raise their price because they believe everyone should be able to afford their product, which is noble and good. It just means only people in Kentucky, or people who spend a lot of money weekly at local stores, or those that will pay secondary prices will enjoy said product. It’s possible to get a unicorn without paying a lot of money, but that’s more exception than rule. You’re either spending X amount limit at TW or Specs, or your paying secondary. But this system still gives you a chance at a MSRP bottle. It’s possible. Raising prices to actual makers value fucks everyone but the rich. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

The flippers will stay until demand subsides or distilleries raise their price. Distilleries won’t raise their price because they believe everyone should be able to afford their product, which is noble and good. It just means only people in Kentucky, or people who spend a lot of money weekly at local stores, or those that will pay secondary prices will enjoy said product. It’s possible to get a unicorn without paying a lot of money, but that’s more exception than rule. You’re either spending X amount limit at TW or Specs, or your paying secondary. But this system still gives you a chance at a MSRP bottle. It’s possible. Raising prices to actual makers value fucks everyone but the rich. 

After saying I’ll never pay secondary, I paid secondary twice this year on international products. When the hell is anybody going to be traveling internationally again? I can live with it, but I’m not proud of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2020 at 10:43 PM, huge said:


I guess OWA

(Kind of a joke)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wanted OWA to win because I’ve killed a few picks with friends as we all went on about how good it was.  But yeah, Redemption beat OWA by a hair and RC6 brought up the rear with a weird young corn note.  OWA and Blanton’s are probably my most frequently drained bottles because that’s what people want when they look at my shelf.  The hype is real. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, USCATX said:

I wanted OWA to win because I’ve killed a few picks with friends as we all went on about how good it was.  But yeah, Redemption beat OWA by a hair and RC6 brought up the rear with a weird young corn note.  OWA and Blanton’s are probably my most frequently drained bottles because that’s what people want when they look at my shelf.  The hype is real. 

Redemption Wheated’s mashbill scares me a little bit. 45% wheat is on the extreme end of wheaters. 

I can’t put my finger on it, but Antique has declined the past 3 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Redemption Wheated’s mashbill scares me a little bit. 45% wheat is on the extreme end of wheaters. 

I can’t put my finger on it, but Antique has declined the past 3 years. 

Scares you to death I tell you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

f9c200403e0b305659b792dfadb1bbf6.jpg

Happy Friday to me...

Didn’t think you could even get Old Tub outside of Kentucky, so I’m excited to try it.

Where did you pick up the Old Tub?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Local shop here in Baltimore... every once in a while they get something interesting. Paid $26.

Ever had it before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

Local shop here in Baltimore... every once in a while they get something interesting. Paid $26.

Ever had it before?

It hasn’t hit Texas to my knowledge, but I’ve been looking for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big Weller Full Proof store pick drop at Total Wines here in DFW.   Of all days to forget my fucking wallet at home.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

Big Weller Full Proof store pick drop at Total Wines here in DFW.   Of all days to forget my fucking wallet at home.  

 

God's talkin' to you.....

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Big Weller Full Proof store pick drop at Total Wines here in DFW.   Of all days to forget my fucking wallet at home.  
 
Judging off Facebook, it's definitely clear that full proof dropped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

USCATX got me intrigued so I finished another Repeal Reserve and then opened up the 14 year. He is correct. It’s not great value. In fact I would say just buy the Repeal if you want aged MGP.

To be fair this doesn’t suck, but its not $100 better. It lasts longer on the palate and has more depth in flavor

552c0d318e9a483b7b2d522bb7a17943.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up Redemption Wheated at Total Wine Lakeline. They had 4-5 more bottles.

The spice note was a bit surprising on the first sip, but it’s really grown on me as the juice has been exposed to oxygen more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up a bottle today at Liquor King in Lewisville. Said it arrived today. Nice little store. Lots of Four Roses products, and a lot of small, craft bourbon not found in the big chains.

 

40cf0e9c21a97d9ef302f314e479dea0.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

f9c200403e0b305659b792dfadb1bbf6.jpg

Happy Friday to me...

Didn’t think you could even get Old Tub outside of Kentucky, so I’m excited to try it.

Hd Waiting GIF by moodman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s the consensus on bulleit 12 rye and 10 bourbon? Can’t find the redemption wheated but found those two and sorta remember Good reviews on here but couldn’t exactly recall. Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Specs on Memorial/Westcott usually has a ton of Weller SR including handles.

No Weller SR at the Memorial/Westcott or the Spring Valley locations. They said it’s been a while since they had any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What’s the consensus on bulleit 12 rye and 10 bourbon? Can’t find the redemption wheated but found those two and sorta remember Good reviews on here but couldn’t exactly recall. Thanks in advance!

They are both solid and worth owning. I think the 10 year bourbon is slightly better than the 12 year Rye, but you can’t go wrong with either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, achooloco said:

What’s the consensus on bulleit 12 rye and 10 bourbon? Can’t find the redemption wheated but found those two and sorta remember Good reviews on here but couldn’t exactly recall. Thanks in advance!

The Bourbon was sourced from 4Roses and some Barton. I know 10 year old 4Roses is delicious. The Rye is sourced from MGP which makes outstanding rye. Bulleit is owned by Diageo, but they’ve been sourcing the good stuff for decades so they have great connections obviously and good product. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, got caught up with a bottle of Weller Single Barrel at the local haunt... honestly didn’t even know that bottle existed, so we got familiar.

Very interesting for a Weller product and perhaps the smoothest. Couldn’t quite put my finger on the front, but there’s a distinct flavor there that I don’t necessarily love, but it’s intriguing.

Anyway, the Old Tub doesn’t live up to the hype for me... very dusty up front, qualities of terpentine in the middle and finishes with fermented green apple

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...