Gen-C (The Covid Generation)

DanTheHorn

Goodbye Generation Alpha meet The Covid Generation.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/11/us/covid-generation-gen-c/index.html

I think their date range from the article (2016 to 2030) will prove to be wrong and the Alpha dates (early 2010s to mid 2020s) in the Wiki will hold. Considering Gen-Xrs are 1965 to 1980. Millennials from 1981 to 1996. Gen-Zers will probably end up being 1997 to 2010. I say the Covid Generation is probably going to be 2011 to 2025 since kids that are 10 years old now will be defined by this mess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation#:~:text=The generation is generally defined,or countercultures since the 1950s.

I think the generation should be expanded to include kids that were in school (not college) during this last year.  There will be some lasting effects from this that we won't fully realize for several years. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This sounds like a nickname that just might stick.   I agree it should go back to kids born at least in 2010, if not a bit earlier.  2010 births would be roughly 5th graders.  If you go back a couple more years you capture the kids currently in middle school.  Those are the formative years, and the kids who will be most directly impacted by the events of the last year.  High school kids are impacted as well, but not so much in a developmental way.  They're mostly just getting screwed out of having a good time like the rest of the adults.

• Hook 'Em 2

My kids are 2007 and 2009, now age 13 and 11, so this started for them in 4th and 6th grade.  They're definitely going to be affected by it, and in some ways shaped by it, for the rest of their lives.  It's not all bad, they've shown a tremendous amount of fortitude and resilience.  But it will most certainly be a defining factor for them, forever.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2

My VY baby - born in 2005 and at grandmas house for the Rose Bowl - is a sophomore and 16. He’s more defined by this already than his brothers.  High school where social distancing is contrary to their very existence is the generation that I think will be most effected. My middle schooler just said tonight  it wasn’t that big of a deal for him. 

Calling it the "Covid Generation" for kids born between 2017 and into the next few years is a bit silly. My two year old and infant have no idea what's going on. My two year old might vaguely remember the masks (which he thinks are funny) but he's not going to associate them with anything.

Covid generation would be any kid that's in at least pre-school through high-school, whatever years that ends up being.

In my opinion the images that are associated with each generation including the incomplete images for the Covid Generation. The greatest generation needs no images listed since there is one and only one.

Baby Boomers

ac1a-abb9-4452-ae0e-124166ba46bc

WoodstockCrowdandBindyWoods_crMuseumatBe

Gen-X

c13e185c309c0b507d9c3d4d63ec8c99.jpg

bluray-1977-star-wars-episode-4-a-new-ho

2015-02-24%20Miracle%20on%20Ice.jpg

Millennials

hqdefault.jpg

Nirvana_1_1_1603883064Muzooka.jpg?itok=s

19990118_400.jpg?quality=85&w=400&h=524&

Gen-Z

file-20180904-41720-xwahre.jpg?ixlib=rb-

blog-social-media-080320.jpg

Covid Generation
tile-news-online-learning-mental-health_

shutterstock-1751409812___22135120092.jp

Edited by DanTheHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Calling it the "Covid Generation" for kids born between 2017 and into the next few years is a bit silly. My two year old and infant have no idea what's going on. My two year old might vaguely remember the masks (which he thinks are funny) but he's not going to associate them with anything.

Covid generation would be any kid that's in at least pre-school through high-school, whatever years that ends up being.

Agree with this, my 3rd grader has been effected without a doubt and this will shape her early learning and how she sees the world. My Kinder kid knows about it, but it might be a stretch even for her to remember a ton about this other then play time was different for a little while. 

My youngest grandkids (10 & 18) have been affected, but perhaps not quite as bad as some. The lack of social interaction with their peer groups at school is the biggest loss (besides the Covid death of their other grandfather).

The youngest has had carefully controlled “playdates” at home with a few close friends, and his older brother (a gamer) has undoubtedly snuck out for a rendezvous now & then with his friends and a girl or two. Kinda difficult for a single working dad to monitor 24/7.

At least the boys are keeping their remote grades up and dad has ordered a cap & gown for the oldest’s graduation from Austin High. I do feel bad for him missing the fun campus social activities though. 

I’m just grateful that my son’s district has been open all year. We held him out for the first nine weeks because we didn’t expect it to go very well. But thankfully it has been great and having him back at school has been very good for him.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hate said:

I’m just grateful that my son’s district has been open all year. We held him out for the first nine weeks because we didn’t expect it to go very well. But thankfully it has been great and having him back at school has been very good for him.

My girls school allows for in-person or remote.  They get plenty of social interaction through sports.  They were given the option and as long as they kept their grades up, I didn't care if they attended class from their beds.  They've done a great job and I think it has prepared them to be able to take online or virtual classes in college.  We're blessed with daughters that were able to pull this whole thing off with little to no assistance from us.  I can only imagine how hard it has been for some families - I would have been awful at virtual learning.

58 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

My girls school allows for in-person or remote.  They get plenty of social interaction through sports.  They were given the option and as long as they kept their grades up, I didn't care if they attended class from their beds.  They've done a great job and I think it has prepared them to be able to take online or virtual classes in college.  We're blessed with daughters that were able to pull this whole thing off with little to no assistance from us.  I can only imagine how hard it has been for some families - I would have been awful at virtual learning.

Some schools handled the remote learning better than others.  I didn't want my kids back in school necessarily for social interaction, but mainly because they weren't learning anything despite their grades being fine.  The prepared online course work at the grade school level was a joke.  Not that that was all the schools fault they can't design a rigorous online curriculum on the fly, and nor do the parents want to be over the kids shoulder explaining everything.  I assume the higher grades where more responsibility falls on the students to self study probably had better programs, but our grade school program was useless.

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

In my opinion the images that are associated with each generation including the incomplete images for the Covid Generation. The greatest generation needs no images listed since there is one and only one.

Baby Boomers

Gen-X

Millennials

hqdefault.jpg

19990118_400.jpg?quality=85&w=400&h=524&

Gen-Z

file-20180904-41720-xwahre.jpg?ixlib=rb-

blog-social-media-080320.jpg

Covid Generation
tile-news-online-learning-mental-health_

shutterstock-1751409812___22135120092.jp

I'm not gen z but I was in 3rd grade during world trade center's fall. Y2k though was a non issue for me.

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Shit, horny, and on adhd meds? That shit would be the worst. I know I wouldn't be able to.

Just now, DallasHorn26 said:

Born in 84 here.   I  think it depends on your parents.  Mom and dad where 20/21 when mom squirted me out. I grew up on waylon, willie, chuck berry, Beatles, Skynrd, My kids prefer to be at school (4th,6th, 7th) , and have done ok. 

My ding a ling is the best chuck berry song ever fyi

4 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Baby Boomers

Gen-X

Fixed it to put Nirvana in Gen X where they belong.  Millennials were 10 at the oldest when Nevermind was released.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

4. Last generation with a social media free youth 

I am SO happy this is one of my generation's traits.  I can't imagine dealing with social media in middle school/high school.  It has psychologically warped a bunch of kids.  The ones that didn't kill themselves.

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, J.R. Juniors Junior Jr. said:

Fixed it to put Nirvana in Gen X where they belong.  Millennials were 10 at the oldest when Nevermind was released.

I agree they belong in Gen X, especially since the members themselves were Gen X, but they kinda span both generations.  Seattle Grunge HIGHLY influenced my music tastes, as I started listening to them around 93/94 when I was in middle school.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I am SO happy this is one of my generation's traits.  I can't imagine dealing with social media in middle school/high school.  It has psychologically warped a bunch of kids.  The ones that didn't kill themselves.

I remember being a kid and listen to how some girl killed herself because of online harassment. Everyone was pissed.

On 3/11/2021 at 2:01 PM, DanTheHorn said:

Goodbye Generation Alpha meet The Covid Generation.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/11/us/covid-generation-gen-c/index.html

I think their date range from the article (2016 to 2030) will prove to be wrong and the Alpha dates (early 2010s to mid 2020s) in the Wiki will hold. Considering Gen-Xrs are 1965 to 1980. Millennials from 1981 to 1996. Gen-Zers will probably end up being 1997 to 2010. I say the Covid Generation is probably going to be 2011 to 2025 since kids that are 10 years old now will be defined by this mess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation#:~:text=The generation is generally defined,or countercultures since the 1950s.

Your dates are off, in my opinion.  It's going to come down to how these kids remember Covid.  What we're really talking about right now is defining the end of Gen Z.  Gen Z are those who don't remember 9/11, but do remember Covid.  Millenials were old enough to experience and remember 9/11.  If Gen C is a new generation, it's going to be the generation that doesn't remember experiencing Covid.  For them, it will be a historical event that shaped their world but not a first hand experience they remember. 

What's interesting is that Covid impacted really young kids (very different from 9/11 which kids were probably shielded from).  So, my first grader who turned 6 last year (born 2014) will be part of Gen Z.  Will a kid born in 2016 remember that experience in a similar way?  Maybe, because it surely impacted them.  The line between Gen X and Millenials is blurry, because there wasn't a huge event like Vietnam or 9/11 to mark it.  The best approximation is the Challenger disaster.  Like Covid, the Challenger resonated with really young kids because they watched it in school.  

The other thing is that we can't predict yet when this new Gen C will end.  Maybe it will span 10-12 years like Gen X and Millenials.  Boomers and Gen Z are both closer to 20 years in duration.  We can't mark the end of Gen C until we get there.

https://jasondorsey.com/about-generations/generations-birth-years/

image.thumb.png.aeafc830cb8eef827511e95ade281409.png

8 hours ago, fuggled said:

Your dates are off, in my opinion.  It's going to come down to how these kids remember Covid.  What we're really talking about right now is defining the end of Gen Z.  Gen Z are those who don't remember 9/11, but do remember Covid.  Millenials were old enough to experience and remember 9/11.  If Gen C is a new generation, it's going to be the generation that doesn't remember experiencing Covid.  For them, it will be a historical event that shaped their world but not a first hand experience they remember. 

What's interesting is that Covid impacted really young kids (very different from 9/11 which kids were probably shielded from).  So, my first grader who turned 6 last year (born 2014) will be part of Gen Z.  Will a kid born in 2016 remember that experience in a similar way?  Maybe, because it surely impacted them.  The line between Gen X and Millenials is blurry, because there wasn't a huge event like Vietnam or 9/11 to mark it.  The best approximation is the Challenger disaster.  Like Covid, the Challenger resonated with really young kids because they watched it in school.  

The other thing is that we can't predict yet when this new Gen C will end.  Maybe it will span 10-12 years like Gen X and Millenials.  Boomers and Gen Z are both closer to 20 years in duration.  We can't mark the end of Gen C until we get there.

https://jasondorsey.com/about-generations/generations-birth-years/

image.thumb.png.aeafc830cb8eef827511e95ade281409.png

According to the graphic: Baby Boomers begat Millennials, Gen X begat Gen-Z, and Millennials begat Gen-C?

Also I think your logic is off: GenZ's are a couple years into the workforce already. No way there should be a 5 year old and a 25 year old in the same generation, if you are trying to generally bucket an experience or shared experience. That gulf is way too wide, especially with respect to how fast technology has moved and the impact/influence on life.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

According to the graphic: Baby Boomers begat Millennials, Gen X begat Gen-Z, and Millennials begat Gen-C?
Also I think your logic is off: GenZ's are a couple years into the workforce already. No way there should be a 5 year old and a 25 year old in the same generation, if you are trying to generally bucket an experience or shared experience. That gulf is way too wide, especially with respect to how fast technology has moved and the impact/influence on life.
Like I said, generations are established based on defining events. I agree that Gen Z is going to be a pretty big and diverse group. But, I don't think any event has been identified yet to mark the end of that group. Maybe the 2008 financial crash should, that would make sense to me. I would think we'd know by now if that was the case though.

And also, this isn't my logic. Read up on the link I provided.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk