Loki on Disney+

mdmost

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I'm really enjoying this season. It's enough of a multiverse deal to be good but not over the top on it. I'm getting a little tired already of the multiverse. Anyone notice Timely got spaghettied like Reed Richards did in Dr. Strange 2?

Yeah I'm not sure if that was intentional, but I'm sure it was intentionality like how some of the antmen got spaghetti-fied in quantumania 

Spoiler

My working theory is it all goes back to who pruned who and when.  Renslayer pruned Loki back in Season 1, that led Loki on the path to find “he who remains” who was then killed by Sylvie.

In the previous episode, Renslayer was pruned by Slyvie’s thrall which most likely sets Renslayer on a path to find “he who remains” and they end up creating the TVA with Miss Minutes to eventually have everyone’s mind wiped.  

Additionally, in the previous episode we saw a Loki prune a Loki which has yet to be fully explained.  The whole thing is probably a giant loop created by Miss Minutes and/or Loki. 

Working theory in spoilers. 

It’s a good show. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

11 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I have to be honest. I don't quite understand what I'm watching, but I do enjoy it and am liking it better than anything like it on Disney+ in a while, since probably Wandavision

Same. I liked Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk, but Loki season 2 is way up there for the shows 

19 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:
  Hide contents

My working theory is it all goes back to who pruned who and when.  Renslayer pruned Loki back in Season 1, that led Loki on the path to find “he who remains” who was then killed by Sylvie.

In the previous episode, Renslayer was pruned by Slyvie’s thrall which most likely sets Renslayer on a path to find “he who remains” and they end up creating the TVA with Miss Minutes to eventually have everyone’s mind wiped.  

Additionally, in the previous episode we saw a Loki prune a Loki which has yet to be fully explained.  The whole thing is probably a giant loop created by Miss Minutes and/or Loki. 

Working theory in spoilers. 

It’s a good show. 

First episode - Loki was time slipping. In order to stop it loki had to be dematerialized at exactly right time while Möbius adjusted loom. He keeps skipping and can’t get a stick. He’s about to run out of time and then is mysteriously zapped when he sees Sylvie.  Flash forward a few episodes, we see that it was Loki in the future realizing he has to zap himself so that his past self can be saved. It’s not that complicated 

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

First episode - Loki was time slipping. In order to stop it loki had to be dematerialized at exactly right time while Möbius adjusted loom. He keeps skipping and can’t get a stick. He’s about to run out of time and then is mysteriously zapped when he sees Sylvie.  Flash forward a few episodes, we see that it was Loki in the future realizing he has to zap himself so that his past self can be saved. It’s not that complicated 

I still don't understand this "explanation," so let's agree to disagree. 

• Hook 'Em 1

You know “stick” these days has about 5 different meanings so anyone not up on “lingo”, let’s limit stick. I thought you meant he couldn’t get a gun, beard and horny above thought he was stuck to the wall, and you’re probably talking about being stuck in time. You can stick a stick back in time and stick it to a stick but you can’t unstick a stick in a stick in a stick. *breathes* 

4 minutes ago, hornian said:

Why not both? 

I think it was less that he's the tree and more that Loki replaced the analogy of the timelines needing to be woven into a single thread to be weaved to the timelines being a tree that branches out and and grows. 

Edited by Viper

No, I think with the strike this wasn't a re-write. 

Saw the MCU calendar today as they've yet again made adjustments. After The Marvels, there's nothing until 2025 now. Deadpool 3 is next up in 2024 but that's not a full-on MCU property. I'm sure it will tie in but it's not going to be doing the Kang storyline. After that it's the Sam Captain America movie and then Thunderbolts. So that's a lot of Earth centered MCU vs. multiverse. Plenty of time to pivot. Fantastic Four could be the resetting point for Kang to Dr. Doom. Maybe Doom becomes the worst of the Kang variants. 

Edited by mdmost

I loved S2. It was beautiful and interesting and during season 1 and again early in season 2 (1st episode, after the long break) it took a while to get used to the anachronism of the 70's bureaucracy, but by the end it worked.

Felt like An Imitation Game meets a Time Heist and Loki's character growth over the two seasons, and highlighting it with the first Mobious meeting, gave this episode a lot of emotional depth which paid off with how it ended, I thought.

Shame that Jonathan Majors is a bully because when it comes to acting that creep can roll. Thought he completely owned the HWR character in finale of S1 and in S2 and did a great job with Victor Timely variant. Was ready to flush him after the horrible effort that was Quantomania Ant Man movie because his Kang sucked, but will have some compartmentalized regret we will miss out on the future HWR. Oh well.

I spoilered things I didn't understand that maybe comic book fans can help flesh out for me:

Spoiler

I didn't understand the Renslayer ending, waking up next to a volcano with a broken slab of TVA and completely forgot about her arc and what she was supposed to be doing, actually. Same with creepy miss minutes. We just saw her back in action with a quasi-comical "will she try to kill us again? idk lol""

Didn't get the significance of the TVA handbook 2.0

Were we supposed to see that in the adjusted timeline that Victor Timely doesn't get a handbook dropped through his window as a child and so that sequence of events never happens?

I further didn't understand the Loki ending and how he replaced the loom and how he would even know that was a possibility, when wrestling with the morality of freewill and killing Syvlia and how to make the hard choices. How did he not get spaghett'ed in the first place? Why wouldn't he have just taken the thing to the loom and launched it instead of spending 100's of years learning physics if he could just walk through the radiation?

Edited by BeardIP

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

No, I think with the strike this wasn't a re-write. 

Saw the MCU calendar today as they've yet again made adjustments. After The Marvels, there's nothing until 2025 now. Deadpool 3 is next up in 2024 but that's not a full-on MCU property. I'm sure it will tie in but it's not going to be doing the Kang storyline. After that it's the Sam Captain America movie and then Thunderbolts. So that's a lot of Earth centered MCU vs. multiverse. Plenty of time to pivot. Fantastic Four could be the resetting point for Kang to Dr. Doom. Maybe Doom becomes the worst of the Kang variants. 

I was reading in Variety that the pivot is coming not just because Jonathan Majors legal issues but because the multiverse is bombing as a lucrative storyline with more casual fans. I wonder if that means they pivot away from the heavy sci-fi storyline and into something more digestible for the common man.

Apparently The Marvels is going to be a huge flop based on budget ($250mm) and expected sales (opening weekend of a high-end estimate of $80mm) and really bad early reviews, along with Bob Igor bringing back some financial rigor to the business (e.g. the volume of shows, the spiraling out of control costs of rewrites and post-production on everything and keeping all the balls in the air, etc.).

7 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I loved S2. It was beautiful and interesting and during season 1 and again early in season 2 (1st episode, after the long break) it took a while to get used to the anachronism of the 70's bureaucracy, but by the end it worked.

Felt like An Imitation Game meets a Time Heist and Loki's character growth over the two seasons, and highlighting it with the first Mobious meeting, gave this episode a lot of emotional depth which paid off with how it ended, I thought.

Shame that Jonathan Majors is a bully because when it comes to acting that creep can roll. Thought he completely owned the HWR character in finale of S1 and in S2 and did a great job with Victor Timely variant. Was ready to flush him after the horrible effort that was Quantomania Ant Man movie because his Kang sucked, but will have some compartmentalized regret we will miss out on the future HWR. Oh well.

I spoilered things I didn't understand that maybe comic book fans can help flesh out for me:

Hide contents

I didn't understand the Renslayer ending, waking up next to a volcano with a broken slab of TVA and completely forgot about her arc and what she was supposed to be doing, actually.

I further didn't understand the Loki ending and how he replaced the loom and how he would even know that was a possibility, when wrestling with the morality of freewill and killing Syvlia and how to make the hard choices. How did he not get spaghett'ed in the first place? Why wouldn't he have just taken the thing to the loom and launched it instead of spending 100's of years learning physics if he could just walk through the radiation?

She woke up on the realm where Ailoth resides, the Void. It's the place all variants go to after they are pruned in season 1, where Loki meets all the other Lokis. Basically she went there to meet the fate she metered out to all the other variants.

He survived because he's a god. The only one that could ever kill him was Thanos, who became a god. He knew he had to sacrifice himself to save everyone. He got his kingdom and found his glorious purpose.

• Hook 'Em 3

22 hours ago, mdmost said:

Reveal hidden contents

She woke up on the realm where Ailoth resides, the Void. It's the place all variants go to after they are pruned in season 1, where Loki meets all the other Lokis. Basically she went there to meet the fate she metered out to all the other variants.

He survived because he's a god. The only one that could ever kill him was Thanos, who became a god. He knew he had to sacrifice himself to save everyone. He got his kingdom and found his glorious purpose.

Spoiler

It also revealed the great foreshadowing by old Loki in S1.

On 11/9/2023 at 10:32 PM, hornian said:

So Loki turned into Yggdrasil (The Tree of Life) at the end?

Fitting. 

So my wife's church is a Presbyterian church, and on the wall in their main worship area, they have various banners with important symbols, including  a big banner of the Tree of Life (roots = death, branches/leaves = life, etc.).

My son isn't fully up on the Loki mythos in the comics or Norse mythology, but he asked "is that what Loki became" and without wanting to explain the God of Stories, etc., I just told him "yes son, when you are in this church, Loki is looking down upon you."  

• Haha 3

• 2 months later...