Best College Towns Map

BurntOrange&White

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It was posted somewhere upthread, but it’s insane that Greater Baton Rouge is up to 800k. I guess former New Orleans residents like their backyards and staying dry during hurricanes. 

Off the top of my head, Baton Rouge would be the largest city in the SEC. Bigger than Nashville. 

That's not correct.

Baton Rouge only has 200,000 or so in the city limits.  As you said, the 800,000 is the metro population.

Nashville is 600,000+ in the city limits, and near 2 million in it's metro.

Ac

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If I were ready to retire right now, San Marcos would be the pick. The food scene needs to get better, and it probably will. Plenty of good chefs in Austin looking for sites with lower rent.

Rumor has it that a bus goes from San Marcos to Austin every Thursday.  You could ride that up for some food game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/4/2021 at 7:24 PM, BurntOrange&White said:

One could argue that Austin really isn’t a college town anymore. I think I’d lean San Marcos(Texas State) for Texas. 

Since this is the immediate focal point of the map as a whole I'd agree with this initial take and would also probably go San Marcos. Maybe Denton after that? 

On 5/5/2021 at 1:21 AM, Hook1997 said:

There is a reason they still have bus that goes from San Marcos to Austin every Thursday thru Saturday night just like many years ago.   A lot more college bars with cheaper drinks still around and now they hop over to west sixth, Rainey, ect to look for new sugar daddies.  

The cheapest drinks I've had in Texas were on the square in San Marcos and the talent isn't lacking, either. 

Of course they hop on a party bus to 6th street. That isn't a knock on SanMo and doesn't mean you can't have a good time there without going up to Austin (believe me I've had many). 

On 5/9/2021 at 8:54 AM, MirrOlure said:

All you fuckers with the “Austin isn’t a college town”....

That’s like saying “Austin isn’t a Capitol City.” Geographically, economically, relevance, culturally, and population-wise from August through May....it is every bit a “college town.”

Of course it’s grown, matured (or devolved?) into more than JUST a college town or Capitol City....but a significant amount of the growth is as a direct result of the University.

And there a reason hotel availability and prices are different for six weekends in the fall than in the middle of February or July.....point being...the University is and always will be fundamentally and inextricably intertwined with the existence of the City of Austin.

6be7f8d7e9e09788adefd00cb55b2a1e.jpg

Whatever. There are people that come here that don't even know UT is here or ever go see campus. Or they don't know which school it is that is there. The biggest thing going on in Austin is not the University of Texas anymore. 

Population-wise students are becoming a blip, anyway. Like 5% of the city and half that of the metro. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Whatever. There are people that come here that don't even know UT is here or ever go see campus. Or they don't know which school it is that is there. The biggest thing going on in Austin is not the University of Texas anymore. 

Population-wise students are becoming a blip, anyway. Like 5% of the city and half that of the metro. 

Austin Metro has 2,117,000 people as of 2021

Currenty enrollment sits at 51,832(according to a random google search) 

So that's 2.45% of the population being students.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Austin Metro has 2,117,000 people as of 2021

Currenty enrollment sits at 51,832(according to a random google search) 

So that's 2.45% of the population being students.

So off the top of my head I was .05% off. 

Good work, Lou.