Austin: General traffic and roadway construction thread

Chet Steadman

This thread’s predecessor extended 80+ pages and over five years.  Most of it was bitching about the Mopac construction, which, not surprisingly, is still not complete and is now almost three years behind schedule.  Kirk Watson’s nephew got rich, residents of Austin got screwed.  And who really needs those soundwalls anyway?

On the near horizon for Austin is the Hwy 183 expansion to the airport (which actually appears to be ahead of schedule,) an I-35/183 flyover which is 15 years too late and $95,000,000 in sidewalk and bike lanes which were approved by the City of Austin voters this past November. And maybe tolls.  Or maybe not.  

Another sloppy, half-assed light rail measure is likely in the works too.     

Oh yea, and traffic still sucks.    

I feel for anyone who has to go through the Y when they are building that because it's going to fuck up traffic there for years.  Traffic is going to be backed up on 71 damn near to 35 on occasion I'll wager.

Edited by kevwun

17 hours ago, Armybrat said:

WTF? One lane flyover eastbound to 71?

The building the pizza place on the corner is in is a historic landmark.  To do this project correctly, that building would have to be torn down which is going to cause them lots of problems.

18 hours ago, DanRydell said:

Was the Watson nephew thing actually true or was it just something some random Jeff Ward caller said and everybody ran with? 

i don't think it was ever properly vetted, but the caller sounded damn credible. 

there is no doubt that it was massively underbid, which is demonstrated by the shitshow still going on. so it was a sweetheart deal of some kind.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The building the pizza place on the corner is in is a historic landmark.  To do this project correctly, that building would have to be torn down which is going to cause them lots of problems.

and i love austin pizza garden

35 minutes ago, kevwun said:

It can be moved , just like Round Rock's Stagecoach Inn was last week.

That would also work though it looks like the Pizza Garden might be quite a bit bigger than the Inn and is also two stories instead of one.  Moving it would be one hell of a project by itself.  I would think they'll welcome a move because the flyovers would make getting to it a bitch.

Edited by kevwun

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, texhorn said:

That kind of shit is why I moved out of Lakeway 6 years ago. I could not handle that commute any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And the good news is there supposed to begin a massive construction project from somewhere just past the damn up past Four Points.

I'd rather drive down a road full of IEDs with ISIS shooting at me than get on that shit for the next five years. Wait did I say 5 years, let's make it 10 years. Austin construction and all...

Best thing about where I ended up is it's just a straight shot up Congress.  It may not always be quick, getting south of the river from downtown is horrible if I have to leave at rush hour, and the Disneyworld section of South Congress gets backed up too, but it's so great to just not be on the fucking highway.  And they actually did the construction at Oltorf pretty quick.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

And the good news is there supposed to begin a massive construction project from somewhere just past the damn up past Four Points.

I'd rather drive down a road full of IEDs with ISIS shooting at me than get on that shit for the next five years. Wait did I say 5 years, let's make it 10 years. Austin construction and all...

If I’m not mistaken, I think they’re going to redo a lot 620 towards Lakeway too. Going to be a fun decade out there. 

• 1 year later...