Escuela Me on Mexican Music

MaybeACoordinator

21 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Love Lila. I talked to for a while some years back. She is half India and half American professor...She spent half her time as a DeadHead and the other half as a Mixtec. She is a fucking star. 

Yeah, that's a peppy tune, but my Uprising Detector tells me there's a 50/50 chance somebody in the audience yells "Kill Whitey", and the next thing I know, my still-beating heart is being raised up to the sun while my vision grows strangely dim.

3 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

Yeah, that's a peppy tune, but my Uprising Detector tells me there's a 50/50 chance somebody in the audience yells "Kill Whitey", and the next thing I know, my still-beating heart is being raised up to the sun while my vision grows strangely dim.

Worst ways to leave this planet than having Lila eat your heart 

• Like 1

Ah, you caught the last gasp of the inflated Old Peso with 3 extra zeroes.

When I was in Colima, I never had AC, just went into lizard mode. Never even got a fan. The cleaning lady and I would have these long talks about who had the best oscillating fans (at $30 bucks US), but whenever I was in the actual store, I was always like "I could take this wad of pesos and go out drankin tonight instead."

Edited by RDCanecutter

Kenny y los Electricos are still in business. I bet you could go somewhere in Mexico right now and buy a ticket to see Kenny. Bet the joint would be full of middle-aged teenagers reliving the 80s. Hell, everybody who runs that town would be there. You'd get a job. And a place to say. It'd all be taken care of.

Cafe Tacvba tend towards mellow and jazzy. But the lead singer is from Monterrey and did this song in tribute to the lovin-drankin-killin ballads of the area. Sometimes when my students whine about Spanish being too fast, I teach them to sing the chorus of this.

On 5/11/2018 at 1:04 PM, thrillhammer said:

when i lived in san antonio i went to the conjunto fest about 6 yrs in a row.  discovered it late but once i did i never missed it.  it was the most fun of any festival in town.  so cool to see the dancers, and the music is happy music.  upbeat.  i own at least 4 cd's from the merch booth there.

great stuff.  It never dawned on me about the origin of Conjunto until someone mentioned it was the Germans that came to Tejas and introduced the accordian.  Makes so much sense, and I also lover the German polkas. 

OK, we gotta have some Top 40 Rock En Eshpanyol Wey.

I heard this sitting in a corner taco joint. Stood up and walked away without paying. They chased me down and got my pesos. I hummed it for days so as not to forget it. A pal's teen son clued me in to who it was by while we were eating pozole with a big pig's foot in it to freak the gringo. (I ate that pata up.)

22 hours ago, BurdineBandit said:

One of the many reasons I wish I was fluent en espanol is bc of the way the language can convey feeling that you just don't see in English. The metaphors and analogies they use that would seem weird in the states. 

Still trying to become fluent myself, but I think by listening to music, you are on the right track. csb: There was a Juanes song I listened to, didn't get it 100%, but liked it. OK, so one day on the radio, they played the English version of it. I'm rocking out, understand everything, then I realize it's not an English version, it's the same ol' Spanish version. It took a 100 tries, but one day I "stepped through the door". It happens.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RDCanecutter said:

OK, we gotta have some Top 40 Rock En Eshpanyol Wey.

and some 80s mexican music, including the teen/kids groups.  many evolved to become influential artists (paulina rubio, pedro fernandez, sasha, thalia, luis miguel)

• Like 1

went to a Mana concert a couple years ago. had a great time. knew like one song. didn't understand any lyrics. but there were some caliente chicas there and they were really into it. if they were an American band playing their music in English it would probably be something i despise, but it worked in Spanish.