Black Marching Bands

MaybeACoordinator

Lily white suburban high school band, waiting in the stands at the end zone in the Astrodome while the previous game between Madison and another more inner city school wrapped up their playoff game.  The new QB that's coming to UT plays for this team apparently, but holy shit this band man.

Edited by Celery Man

I've served more than enough time in great marching bands and drum corps, but one of my most eye-opening experiences was as a freshman in HS when our band was invited to Memphis to march in the Cotton Carnival Parade.

We worked up a classic rural midwestern book of Sousa marches, some classical hits like "Festive Overture", etc.  We were READY.  They were gonna LOVE us.  (Never mind that parade marching sucks.)

We got down there and soon discovered we were directly following a black marching band playing mostly 70's funk tunes.  Their drum major used a live snake for a baton.

We did not go over well.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've served more than enough time in great marching bands and drum corps, but one of my most eye-opening experiences was as a freshman in HS when our band was invited to Memphis to march in the Cotton Carnival Parade.

We worked up a classic rural midwestern book of Sousa marches, some classical hits like "Festive Overture", etc.  We were READY.  They were gonna LOVE us.  (Never mind that parade marching sucks.)

We got down there and soon discovered we were directly following a black marching band playing mostly 70's funk tunes.  Their drum major used a live snake for a baton.

We did not go over well.

Olu Dara, a highly regarded musician in his own right but today best known as the father of Nas, recalled once that his HS marching band from somewhere in Mississippi went down to New Orleans to compete against the Louisiana bands. They just knew they were gonna go down there and kick ass. They arrived at the big parking lot where they were all assembling, and the director got off the bus and heard the NOLA bands warming up, and just told the kids that they weren't getting off the bus. And so they headed back north to Mississippi without playing a note.  

I have often lamented the fact that the stupid NFL can't just get an awesome band like one these to play at halftime of the Super Bowl. Instead of the contrived bullshit they offer up.

Drum lines are really cool. Of course, I can't play any instrument. At Pitt during basketball season the drum line plays a few halftimes during hoops season. It's the only time I actually stay at my seat during halftime.