TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

RPM

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

George Kennedy was better and got the Oscar for it.
DwwFF14UwAAp0jd.jpg

Everybody looks better when they get to play opposite Mr. Paul.  He raises the bar of the cast.  The Verdict is one of my favorites though.  Also love Absence of Malice. .

There are no other cases, only this one.  There are no there cases, only this one.

5 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Paul Newman as Fast Eddie Felson(both films) is peak Newman.

I'm embarrassed that I forgot about that, definitely one of my favorites.  It's been on movie channel rotation for about a month now.  I think Jackie Gleason and George C. Scott had the better roles though.

3 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

This is a great movie and it may have been Newman's best performance of his career in my opinion.

Some of the best boxing scenes I have ever seen in a movie.

Newman totally nailed style of the boxer with zero technique, laughably undisciplined and untrained, but a brawling SOB. I would think that's not easy to pull off without looking completely fake. It's a funny and sad movie with a nice Hollywood ending, and a fantastic supporting cast.

It's not the greatest movie he has done, but it's my favorite, and a fantastic performance from the young actor.

Separate Tables. David Niven, Burt Lancaster, Deborah Kerr, Rita Hayworth, Wendy Hiller. Directed by Delbert Mann. Very, very good! All the actors are cast against type and they're great. It was nominated for seven Oscars and won 2. Niven - Best Actor, Hiller - Best Supporting Actress. Kerr was robbed of Best Actress by Susan Hayward (I Want To Live).

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Newman totally nailed style of the boxer with zero technique, laughably undisciplined and untrained, but a brawling SOB. I would think that's not easy to pull off without looking completely fake. It's a funny and sad movie with a nice Hollywood ending, and a fantastic supporting cast.

It's not the greatest movie he has done, but it's my favorite, and a fantastic performance from the young actor.

It was also Steve McQueen"s second movie of his career. His first movie roll was in Girl On The Run (1953).

Both of these rolls were uncredited however.

Finally watched The Asphalt Jungle I had recorded awhile back.

Good noir movie with some great acting and a strong cast directed by John Huston.

Marc Lawrence gives a very strong performance and it also has a very early role by Marilyn Monroe who is exceptionally hot in this one.98202069-48d1-4c46-9085-d88057c9e16d_1.5

Edited by Steamboat1874

3 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Finally watched The Asphalt Jungle I had recorded awhile back.

Good noir movie with some great acting and a strong cast directed by John Huston.

Marc Lawrence gives a very strong performance and it also has a very early role by Marilyn Monroe who is exceptionally hot in this one.98202069-48d1-4c46-9085-d88057c9e16d_1.5

Brah, she was exceptionally hot in every movie she ever made.  She was much more talented than she was given credit for.

Bad Day at Black Rock starting now. Classic flick. Spencer Tracy, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan, Lee Marvin, Ernest Borgnine, Walter Brennan, Dean Jagger, Anne Francis.

Cool Air Force promo short by Jack Webb/Disney that I've never seen, 24 Hour Alert. Some really sweet aerial footage of mid 50's fighters. 

Edited by RPM

To Be or Not To Be - Jack Benny, Carole Lombard. Benny never was a movie star, but he hit it out of the park with this one. 10/10.

The remake with Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft is pretty good, too.

After The Thin Man coming up next.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:57 PM, DougO said:

Dang, already missed the first part of Ace In The Hole.

Sweet Smell Of Success coming up at 9:15PM, great movie.

"Cat's in the bag, bag's in the river."

Somehow I had never seen this movie.

Wow.....it is great.

Strong performances by Lancaster and Curtis and Martin Milner was very good too.

Solid movie with great dialogue.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dr. Strangelove on tonight.

I record this one every time it's on, watch it once or twice before deleting it, and then record it again and again.  The Cold War has always been fascinating to me, so this and Fail Safe always get watched by me when they are on.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn I miss him. Ben does a good job. He was tutored by the master. But even with his pedigree, he doesn't have the gravitas Robert did. That man knew everything about everybody from the golden age. Eddie Muller may be the closest thing they've found to Robert, but he's limited to noir.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RPM said:

Damn I miss him. Ben does a good job. He was tutored by the master. But even with his pedigree, he doesn't have the gravitas Robert did. That man knew everything about everybody from the golden age. Eddie Muller may be the closest thing they've found to Robert, but he's limited to noir.

I like Ben (he's a good follow on Twitter too), but he'll never be able to replace Robert because I grew up with Robert on the tv most nights from age 5 to 18.

One of my favorite Burt Lancaster films is on at 4:30. The Train. Gritty WW2 story of the French Underground trying to save art masterpieces from being shipped to Berlin by Nazis.