Jump to content
RPM

TCM's 31 Days of Oscar

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, tantric superman said:

? (in the queue),

Charlie Chaplin's Hitler parody. Came out late 1940. Apparently the had quite the disdain for Herr Hitler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Birdman was directed by John Frankenheimer. 

Frankenheimer directed Ronin.

Ergo: Who gives a shit if Birdman is accurate?

source.gif

 

 

I'm bored so I'll ask.  Do you not understand the difference between fictional story lines, and biographical movies ?  I know they're multisyllabic words , so.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm bored so I'll ask.  Do you not understand the difference between fictional story lines, and biographical movies ?  I know they're multisyllabic words , so.......

Absolutely no idea what the difference is.

I do know that Harvey Keitel played a wise guy in Last Temptation of Christ though I didn't think anyone from Brooklyn was in the Holy Land.

And the dude below in the coonskin cap?  They Mexicans found him hiding under a bed!  He never blew up half of Bracketville!

JohnWayneAlamo-Web-600x0-c-default.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THere are basically three types of biographical/historical movies:

A. Innacurate

B. Wildly innacurate

C. Totally made up bullshit

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RPM said:

Holy shit, what a line up today: The Great Dictator, Paths of Glory, Twelve Angry Men, Sweet Smell of Success. That's 4 10's in a row.

My schedule is set. Cat's in the bag, bag's in the river.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Peter Fonda tribute this Saturday night. Ulee's Gold at 7 followed by Easy Rider at 9. Wish they would have worked in a few more films like Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, Race with the Devil and Cannonball Run.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, RPM said:

Peter Fonda tribute this Saturday night. Ulee's Gold at 7 followed by Easy Rider at 9. Wish they would have worked in a few more films like Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, Race with the Devil and Cannonball Run.

What???

No Outlaw Blues filmed in and around Austin including at Dobie Mall.

spacer.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bogie Alert! A mini Bogey film fest this afternoon and tonight. To Have or Have Not, The Big Sleep and Key Largo. Big Sleep is the lesser of the 3, but the other 2 are excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sidney Poitier mini film fest. Watched In The Heat of the Night, The Bedford Incident and Lilies of the Field. 2nd time watching Lilies of the Field in the last week. TCM must have it in high rotation, but I don't care if they do. I've loved this film from the first time I watched it on a grainy 13" B&W tv. Unfortunately it's on the list of films I compulsively have to watch if I see it. Kinda like Cartman and Come Sail Away

Edited by RPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RPM said:

Sidney Poitier mini film fest. Watched In The Heat of the Night, The Bedford Incident and Lilies of the Field. 2nd time watching Lilies of the Field in the last week. TCM must have it in high rotation, but I don't care if they do. I've loved this film from the first time I watched it on a grainy 13" B&W tv. Unfortunately it's on the list of films I compulsively have to watch if I see it. Kinda like Cartman and Come Sail Away

Lilies of the Field is one of my favorite all time movies.

Great performances all of the way around and the song Amen is a classic.

Also love In The Heat of the Night. Rod Steiger is one of the greatest actors in history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent W.C. Fields movie coming on @ 8:30, The Bank Dick. If this movie doesn't make you laugh, you probably subscribe to Stoops newsletter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Springsteen guest host Sat Nov 2nd.

Introducing 'The Searchers' and 'A Face in the Crowd.'

Don't know if this is a new thing where Mankiewicz goes to the celebs home to interview them vs bringing them into the studio or Bruce just telling them to come on by. 'A Face in the Crowd' is an excellent choice since it's one of the more overlooked masterpieces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

Springsteen guest host Sat Nov 2nd.

Introducing 'The Searchers' and 'A Face in the Crowd.'

Don't know if this is a new thing where Mankiewicz goes to the celebs home to interview them vs bringing them into the studio or Bruce just telling them to come on by. 'A Face in the Crowd' is an excellent choice since it's one of the more overlooked masterpieces. 

Saw Elvis Costello last week. He sat at the piano, and started talking about the man from Riddle, Arkansas, talking about how he wanted to play the role, and then broke into a face in the crowd.  A Face In The Crowd is among my top 10 or 20 movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, starting tomorrow, Wednesday 11/6 at 7am:

Casablanca

On the Waterfront

North by Northwest

Bridge on the River Kwai

The Searchers

(Image makers: the Adventures of America's Pioneer Cinematographers)

The Grapes of Wrath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, miguelito said:

So, starting tomorrow, Wednesday 11/6 at 7am:

Casablanca

On the Waterfront

North by Northwest

Bridge on the River Kwai

The Searchers

(Image makers: the Adventures of America's Pioneer Cinematographers)

The Grapes of Wrath

 

105265-200.png

That's 5 of my Top 10 (or so) films. Impressive. The Grapes of Wrath is definitely in my Top 3 (maybe #1).

 

Edited by RPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Neither does John Ford day. I missed most of it, but watching his documentary The Battle of Midway now. It made Eleanor Roosevelt cry and FDR wanted "every Mother in America to see it."

There's a new documentary next John Ford: The Man Who Invented America (this was excellent!), then The Grapes of Wrath followed by Cheyenne Autumn. Gonna be a long night.

Don't know if they ran it, but one of my favorite Ford films (and highly underrated) is The Long Voyage Home. Greatness on so many levels.

Edited by RPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Ben-Hur again for the whatever dozen time. I'm not a fan of religious epics, but damned if this one isn't great. It's premium Chuck Heston with a good script, good crew, good supporting cast and great director (William Wyler). I like the original silent film starring Ramon Novarro, too. It just doesn't get much better than the chariot race for action sequences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2019 at 8:58 PM, RPM said:

That's 5 of my Top 10 (or so) films. Impressive. The Grapes of Wrath is definitely in my Top 3 (maybe #1).

Ford is that great.  Grapes isn't even in my top 5 of Ford's flicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any random day TCM provides more quality filmed entertainment than theaters or streaming or any other medium.  Thank you, you gap-toothed Jane Fonda fucker, you.  I'll DVR Key Largo just to hear Lauren Bacall answer the phone in that whiskey and smokes breathy voice, "Hhhhotell Lahgeau."  Shoot me now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pound for pound, it's the best network on television. 29 days to 31 Days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, DougO said:

Planet Of the Apes coming on at 7pm.

My Friday night is saved.

Nova. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Big Sleep starting now.  I've seen it a dozen times but that's not going to stop me from watching it again.  Martha Vickers was a fox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Continental Op said:

The Big Sleep starting now.  I've seen it a dozen times but that's not going to stop me from watching it again.  Martha Vickers was a fox.

Dorothy Malone was pretty slutty as the book store clerk. Guy walks in, says he's got rye and she locks the door DTF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah.  Pretty much every woman in the movie except Agnes, who is too busy being Arthur Gwynn Geiger's fag hag, is focused on Bogart's sexuality.  It's like a proto-Eyes Wide Shut.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was interesting to hear Mankiewicz say Malone's part was shoehorned in as a demo for  her, then they went in a completely different direction with her until she broke contract and got slutty again. 

Not TCM, but just watched a great movie on FXM which is quickly becoming a formidable opponent.

Down to the Sea in Ships (1949)

Richard Widmark, Lionel Barrymore, Gene Lockhart

Director: Henry Hathaway

It's very Captains Courageous-ish, but a different tale of a seagoing lad. If you're a "Greenpeace Save the Whales type", this might not be for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting format they are using this year. Each film has an actor, not necessarily the lead actor, connected to the next film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my all-time favorites about to start on TCM, Hud. Everyone in this cast is just awesome. Grew up on a ranch just like the one in the movie. The old man always reminded me of my Granddad and Hud was a pretty good imitation of my Dad. Everything about this film just clicks.

Holy shit, seen this movie 100 times and just realized the couch in Hud's bedroom was the same exact couch my grandparents had with the longhorn stitched into the back. Those must have been popular in Texas in the late 50's/early 60's.

Edited by RPM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...