Tell me about Texas Tech

Longboard Horn

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Transfer Portal heating up.... a few more Tech Players may be leaving

Defensive tackle Joe Wallace,  offensive linemen Gio Pancotti , and wide receiver Corey Fultcher all put their name in the transfer portal recently.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Player/Joseph-Wallace-79679/

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Player/Gio-Pancotti-78049/

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Player/Corey-Fulcher-46041721/

Also see another OL in Tech portal.....

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/Player/Cody-Wheeler-58862/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grad-transfer  QB McLane Carter just announced he's going to Rutgers....

Pancotti was going to see zero playing time.Fulcher and Wallace were suspended by the coaching staff and weren't going to be back. 

TT announced what appears to be a decent WR grad transfer today, Reginald Turner out of ULM.  Been a fairly productive guy and looks good on video

In 2016, 23 catches, 38 in 2017, and 36 in 2018.  A little over 1600 career receiving yards and 10 touchdowns.

4 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

He's only hired one at Tech, and that was the guy roughly 99% of Tech fans wanted.

The entire Randy Shannon and Al Golden experience at Miami was a fiasco.  Given your KK thinking I suppose he gets no credit for Beard then.  

The KK hire was of course an abysmal failure and Hocutt made it even worse IMO by the absurd decision to bring Kliff back that last year with absolutely no justification or logical reason to do so.  It delayed considerably the start of hopefully righting the ship. KK went on to have the lowest ranked Power 5 recruiting class in the country that year and we're now taking transfers from  U of La-Monroe.

2 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Tech is putting the money up for a pretty good roster of coaches:

I would add Tadlock of course as well as track coach Wes Kittley whose men's team is currently ranked number one in the country. Additionally, they just upped the salary pool for Beard's 3  main assistants nearly 300k.

15 hours ago, kopp0e said:

Tech is putting the money up for a pretty good roster of coaches:

The jury on Wells is still out for me.  Every year my enthusiasm for Tech's football season gets lower and lower.  I could be wrong and will be happy if I am but I still see the football program struggling for the next several years.

18 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

The entire Randy Shannon and Al Golden experience at Miami was a fiasco.  Given your KK thinking I suppose he gets no credit for Beard then.  

The KK hire was of course an abysmal failure and Hocutt made it even worse IMO by the absurd decision to bring Kliff back that last year with absolutely no justification or logical reason to do so.  It delayed considerably the start of hopefully righting the ship. KK went on to have the lowest ranked Power 5 recruiting class in the country that year and we're now taking transfers from  U of La-Monroe.

Of course he gets credit for Beard, but I don't think Kliff or his extension was totally his call and I have no idea if he was given free reign in hiring those coaches at Miami or what the circumstances there were.  It is quite a different institution and athletic dept. than Tech. 

I just think it's stupid to criticize the guy who's hired the very best coaches Tech has ever had in 2 of the 4 major sports - best by a mile, that is.  I know football is crucial for revenue, but there's no call for picking at Hocutt's track record in hiring coaches at this point. None at all.  Tech athletics have never been this collectively strong across the board.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moby Ric said:

The jury on Wells is still out for me.  Every year my enthusiasm for Tech's football season gets lower and lower.  I could be wrong and will be happy if I am but I still see the football program struggling for the next several years.

Wells could be half brain dead and be a better coach than Kliff....that is not saying much, but it would get Tech a winning season at least

look at the record of Tech the last few season and then go back through each game and see all the stupid shit Kliff did or let happen for so many of those losses and a fucking goat could have had that same record if he shitted on a play card for the offense to call each play and then let the defensive staff do whatever they wanted....the goat would have won more if he could have head butted players to stop dumb penalties and assigned someone to manage the clock and had a special teams coach

I would say recruiting is a bit of a concern, but Wells had a decent class considering what Tech s coming off of and how the "Tech fans" shitted on his hire and I was impressed he kept after that last player they added

he has also done pretty decent in the transfer portal with some areas of need (but he could use some line players).....if Tech can end the season with 7 wins he should be able to pull some recruits and if they can end with 8 wins and a bowl win being a part of that his recruiting should improve greatly

the Arizona game will be big I think he can use a win from that to continue to recruit the west coast (which Tech desperately needs) and all the more so with Rummy on the hot seat for sure if they lose to Tech...that would also start them off 3-0 (barring a disaster against Montana or UTEP) and only needing 3 wins in conference to get to a bowl game.....I think there are 3 wins in conference somewhere

21 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Ben Banogu says hello. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

Of course he gets credit for Beard, but I don't think Kliff or his extension was totally his call and I have no idea if he was given free reign in hiring those coaches at Miami or what the circumstances there were.  It is quite a different institution and athletic dept. than Tech. 

I just think it's stupid to criticize the guy who's hired the very best coaches Tech has ever had in 2 of the 4 major sports - best by a mile, that is.  I know football is crucial for revenue, but there's no call for picking at Hocutt's track record in hiring coaches at this point. None at all.  Tech athletics have never been this collectively strong across the board.

Got it.  Hocutt gets credit for the good hires and no blame for the bad ones.

I certainly agree Beard and Tadlock are great coaches.  How much credit Hocutt deserves in acquiring them is another question.  Shit, Tadlock was already on staff.  Beard was the obvious choice by the masses given his previous tenure in Lubbock. Zero insight in the least required there.

Imo, it is hardly stupid to point out the guy has yet to make his first successful career hire in the most important sport of them all, football.

3 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

You're right, I don't know what I was thinking.  La.-Monroe is one of the most prestigious programs in the country.

Good enough to provide the Frogs with a kid that became the 49th pick in the draft last month.  Talent comes from everywhere.  We got a starting LB from NIU last year.

13 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

Got it.  Hocutt gets credit for the good hires and no blame for the bad ones.

I certainly agree Beard and Tadlock are great coaches.  How much credit Hocutt deserves in acquiring them is another question.  Shit, Tadlock was already on staff.  Beard was the obvious choice by the masses given his previous tenure in Lubbock. Zero insight in the least required there.

Imo, it is hardly stupid to point out the guy has yet to make his first successful career hire in the most important sport of them all, football.

The girls basketball coach (the former Tech player) was a terrible hire and 100% on him, but anyway, now I know he's actually accomplished nothing, since any fool could've hired Beard and Tadlock and retained them after they've been wildly successful.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

A grad transfer from Rice was an integral part of a 10-win Texas team last season.

1 hour ago, angelos's frog said:

Good enough to provide the Frogs with a kid that became the 49th pick in the draft last month.  Talent comes from everywhere.  We got a starting LB from NIU last year.

And yours points are?

It doesn't take much football knowledge to be aware of the fact that obviously great players can come from some very minor programs.  I would have thought it would have gone without saying that generally speaking a school like ULM or Rice is hardly known as the paragon of football talent ownership.

Edited by pigmeat markham

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

The girls basketball coach (the former Tech player) was a terrible hire and 100% on him, but anyway, now I know he's actually accomplished nothing, since any fool could've hired Beard and Tadlock and retained them after they've been wildly successful.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Well, I would think you must admit both coaches certainly have Lubbock roots which not only impacted their hire but their retention as well.

And in regard to the poor women's coach hire you allude to, how bout not only the hire itself, but the contact extension he later followed it up with? Quite the move.

26 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Billy Gillispie too

I'm not sure about that one.  Gillispie was hired less than one month after Hocutt officially started as AD, and IIRC BCG's hire was being discussed in the media even before Hocutt started.  I think he may have just had to sign off on that one.  Either way, he followed that disaster up with another great hire in Tubby Smith.  I know a lot of Tech fans bag on Tubby, mostly because of how he left, but he undeniably brought Tech basketball back from the dead and left a pretty full cupboard for Beard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirk X West said:

I'm not sure about that one.  Gillispie was hired less than one month after Hocutt officially started as AD, and IIRC BCG's hire was being discussed in the media even before Hocutt started.  I think he may have just had to sign off on that one.  Either way, he followed that disaster up with another great hire in Tubby Smith.  I know a lot of Tech fans bag on Tubby, mostly because of how he left, but he undeniably brought Tech basketball back from the dead and left a pretty full cupboard for Beard.

yea the Tubby hire was a good one for sure Tech was a disaster after BCG fell apart and Tubby immediately stabilized that

2 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

so he had to hire BCG because it was already in the works. he had to hire kilff because that's what the alumni and fan base wanted. interesting. so he was just following orders from Feb '11 to Dec '12 even though he was the director of athletics. 

On 5/7/2019 at 9:40 AM, Moby Ric said:

Interesting comments about Wells right after hire...

What offensive style does he utilize?

If Offensive Coordinator David Yost comes with him, you'll see some familiar stuff. Yost has worked with Mike Leach at Washington State and he loves to set up the run with the pass. In many of the Aggie games once the dust settled you would see about a 60-40 discrepancy in play calling in favor of passing more often. It's definitely a one-back spread offense system. They also aren't shy about using a tight end. If things are going well, you'll see the ball in the air 40 or more times. The Aggies either led the nation or where in the top 10 in several offensive categories in 2018, including points scored per game.

What defensive alignment does he employ?

With Coach Wells being an offensive coach he's typically relied on whatever the Defensive Coordinator wants to go with. When Coach Wells took over for the departing Gary Andersen, we ran a 3-4 and that's what we stuck with. Coach Wells hired current Texas Defensive Coordinator Todd Orlando and the defense was very dominant under him. If current Aggie Defensive Coordinator Keith Patterson comes with Coach Wells he brought a 3-3-5 scheme with him and that was extremely successful for the Aggies this season. The Aggie defense finished the regular season in the top 15 in the nation in several defensive categories. Including turnover margin, turnovers forced and interceptions returned for touchdowns.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-tech/ContentGallery/Texas-Tech-Red-Raider-Football-New-Coaches-126126196/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Curious if most Tech fans think Wells is a better hire than Holgy??

My 2 cents opinion:  Wells + David Yost >>> Holgy

Edited by LTtxfan

49 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

so he had to hire BCG because it was already in the works. he had to hire kilff because that's what the alumni and fan base wanted. interesting. so he was just following orders from Feb '11 to Dec '12 even though he was the director of athletics. 

Do you honestly think that he's allowed to draw up contracts and hire head coaches with no oversight or input from anyone else?  Everything I've ever heard about the internal operations of big time college athletic depts in general and about Tech athletics specifically, including the Mike Leach firing, tells me otherwise.  I'm quite willing to concede that that comes to bear when talking about good coaching hires as well as bad ones, as far as that goes.  

With no real inside knowledge of how any of the hires have been made since Hocutt took over, it's pretty clear that he likes a certain type of coach (i.e. experienced, with good character and interested in bringing in good character players, focused on discipline, hard work and fundamentals, and yes, with ties to Tech and/or the panhandle region) and not coincidentally, those have been the ones who have succeeded for the most part, while those that aren't of that type, like Kliff, haven't panned out.  Tadlock and Beard are very similar in many ways (as is Tubby Smith, save for ties to Tech), and Wells seems like an attempt at finding a football analogue.  Kliff just doesn't fit that pattern, and considering his popularity with the fans and the perception that he could help people get over the trauma of the Leach debacle - and that football is so crucial financially - it's just not hard for me to imagine that he was prevailed upon to hire Kliff.  He may not have been against Kliff, but he isn't Hocutt's type of coach.

Again, with all the success Tech athletics is having, it seems bizarre to me that I have to offer some defense of Hocutt, but the neuroses that dwell deep in the subconscious mind of many Tech fans make it hard for many to simply enjoy success.

20 minutes ago, Dirk X West said:

Do you honestly think that he's allowed to draw up contracts and hire head coaches with no oversight or input from anyone else?  Everything I've ever heard about the internal operations of big time college athletic depts in general and about Tech athletics specifically, including the Mike Leach firing, tells me otherwise.  I'm quite willing to concede that that comes to bear when talking about good coaching hires as well as bad ones, as far as that goes.  

With no real inside knowledge of how any of the hires have been made since Hocutt took over, it's pretty clear that he likes a certain type of coach (i.e. experienced, with good character and interested in bringing in good character players, focused on discipline, hard work and fundamentals, and yes, with ties to Tech and/or the panhandle region) and not coincidentally, those have been the ones who have succeeded for the most part, while those that aren't of that type, like Kliff, haven't panned out.  Tadlock and Beard are very similar in many ways (as is Tubby Smith, save for ties to Tech), and Wells seems like an attempt at finding a football analogue.  Kliff just doesn't fit that pattern, and considering his popularity with the fans and the perception that he could help people get over the trauma of the Leach debacle - and that football is so crucial financially - it's just not hard for me to imagine that he was prevailed upon to hire Kliff.  He may not have been against Kliff, but he isn't Hocutt's type of coach.

Again, with all the success Tech athletics is having, it seems bizarre to me that I have to offer some defense of Hocutt, but the neuroses that dwell deep in the subconscious mind of many Tech fans make it hard for many to simply enjoy success.

I love Kirby. I think he's probably the best thing that has ever happened for the University. I just think he needs to be held accountable for a few things. 

Just now, Bash Riprock said:

I love Kirby. I think he's probably the best thing that has ever happened for the University. I just think he needs to be held accountable for a few things. 

He does, like anybody making the kind of $ he is.  But hasn't he done a lot more good than bad so far?

Hocutt got pretty lucky with Beard.  He wanted to hire him so badly he did all but turn cartwheels to keep Tubby from leaving.  Some truth I suppose to the old better lucky than good adage.

As far as Billy Clyde is concerned, granted the hire was in the works prior to Hocutt's arrival, but he most certainly was in a position to, at a minimum, offer up a "let's tap the brakes a little" had he been even slightly aware of the walking disaster that TT was about to hire.  So, in that sense he played a role.

Also, seems to me like KK actually did have quite a few things in common with Beard and Tadlock. Don't find it bizarre at all that one feels the need to offer a defense of the AD during what are pretty good athletic times.  That is, when the discussion at hand is how much credit he deserves in creating that success.

I'm absolutely fine with Kirby being the luckiest motherfucking AD in the country.

This December will be a decade since Texas Tech shitcanned its own fortune on the football field due to severe lack of leadership and so-called acumen of personnel, as it pertains to this discussion.

I don't really give a fuck if he's the smartest motherfucker ever or just lucky at drawing the beans out of the pot.

Just fucking win.   Track, Baseball, and hoops say he can get it done...

From LTtxfan- 

Curious if most Tech fans think Wells is a better hire than Holgy??

My 2 cents opinion:  Wells + David Yost >>> Holgy

I personally would have preferred Littrell, Neal Brown, Holgorsen,  Brent Venables, pretty much a lot of people.  Three of Wells' last 4 years at Utah State were losing seasons. Not overly impressive in my opinion.  I very much like Yost though.

Two prominent donors had their jet ready, flight scheduled and details established for Dana to come visit with Hocutt.  Hocutt would have nothing of it.  Wasn't interested in Seth or Brown either.  They don't even compare with Wells, not worth even a conversation?  He did have a phone conversation with Venables though.

I was ready for a change from the Leach tree, and my admiration for Leach has not been understated on this and other boards.

I too like Neal Brown, and felt Tubby fucked with his game hard and Brown didn't truly get to put his talents on display.

Enough is enough.  Time for moving the fuck on.  I like the clean break.  It can't get worse in the long term.

Edited by slorch

36 minutes ago, pigmeat markham said:

I personally would have preferred Littrell, Neal Brown, Holgorsen,  Brent Venables, pretty much a lot of people.  Three of Wells' last 4 years at Utah State were losing seasons. Not overly impressive in my opinion.  I very much like Yost though. Two prominent donors had their jet ready, flight scheduled and details established for Dana to come visit with Hocutt.  Hocutt would have nothing of it.  Wasn't interested in Seth or Brown either.  They don't even compare with Wells, not worth even a conversation?  He did have a phone conversation with Venables though.

Hard to believe that Littrell & Neal Brown were not considered by Hocutt.  Guess the Okla/W.Tx ties were more important for Kirby.  Still surprised Littrell stayed at North Texas.

The Wells hire at Tech is gonna be interesting to watch vs Neal Brown at West Virginia.

3 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Hocutt got pretty lucky with Beard.  He wanted to hire him so badly he did all but turn cartwheels to keep Tubby from leaving.  Some truth I suppose to the old better lucky than good adage.

He did get lucky, to the extent that the UNLV BOR balked at the contract their AD offered Beard after he had agreed in principle to take the job there, but to me, the bigger point was that when Tubby left - and he left at an inopportune time after most of the positions had been filled and there weren't so many decent candidates to look at - Kirby had done his homework and was ready to move on Beard, and get him, when Tubby did decide to go.  Beard has his Tech ties, but I don't seem to recall people talking about him like some kind of obvious heir apparent for years before he finally got the job.

Edited by Dirk X West

3 hours ago, Dirk X West said:

He did get lucky, to the extent that the UNLV BOR balked at the contract their AD offered Beard after he had agreed in principle to take the job there, but to me, the bigger point was that when Tubby left - and he left at an inopportune time after most of the positions had been filled and there weren't so many decent candidates to look at - Kirby had done his homework and was ready to move on Beard, and get him, when Tubby did decide to go.  Beard has his Tech ties, but I don't seem to recall people talking about him like some kind of obvious heir apparent for years before he finally got the job.

We remember it very differently.  There was no homework to do regarding Beard.  He had been at Tech 10 years or whatever it was at that point.   I believe Beard was the only serious candidate whose name even came up amongst rank and file fans, deep pockets and administrators alike.

6 hours ago, slorch said:

I was ready for a change from the Leach tree, and my admiration for Leach has not been understated on this and other boards.

I too like Neal Brown, and felt Tubby fucked with his game hard and Brown didn't truly get to put his talents on display.

Enough is enough.  Time for moving the fuck on.  I like the clean break.  It can't get worse in the long term.

Thing is, with Yost you're not really getting away from the Leach tree.  Yost at one point was on the staff at Washington State. Lots of similarities.   Big Leach fan here, but I was perfectly fine with getting away from his style.

But Matt Wells?  I've got my doubts.

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Hard to believe that Littrell & Neal Brown were not considered by Hocutt.  Guess the Okla/W.Tx ties were more important for Kirby.  Still surprised Littrell stayed at North Texas.

The Wells hire at Tech is gonna be interesting to watch vs Neal Brown at West Virginia.

Supposedly, the Holgerson concerns were related to character issues.

Littrell's primary negative is Hocutt viewed him as being basically a rent-a-coach until Riley moves on from OU.  I might add Hocutt is very tied in at OU.  He's very close with their current AD and many anticipate Hocutt being named their next AD.

Venables and Hocutt are tight and he indicated he would not consider leaving Clemson until his son was out of high school..  As someone mentioned, it is the general view that given the micromanager that Tuberville was, he didn't really allow Brown to demonstrate his offensive capabilities and truly run his offense.

Littrell, Brown and Holgerson had all coached at Tech, had TT ties and knew the turf.  Likewise, , of course, Tech knew them well.

Edited by pigmeat markham

5 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

We remember it very differently.  There was no homework to do regarding Beard.  He had been at Tech 10 years or whatever it was at that point.   I believe Beard was the only serious candidate whose name even came up amongst rank and file fans, deep pockets and administrators alike.

When the actual job search started, yes, there weren't many candidates besides him, for reasons I explained, but were people talking all the year before about how he would be the next Tech head coach, like UT fans watched Herman for two years before Strong got fired?  Absolutely not.