Bands Chicks Don't Like

MaybeACoordinator

Its one of the basic things about pop music is that guys will want to be the performers and rock stars and a large faction of the female fans will want to "be with" the performers. Its a fundamentally different experience. Its no secret that the pop acts or rock bands with nice haircuts, well groomed and good looking guys will get more exposure, and female fans respond to that kind of thing more. The clothes, costumes, fashion choices have an effect to how a lot of female fans respond. Hair cuts are important for female fans, just think of how many guys with obnoxious over-style hair will have some huge female following. Like all music marketing, having a dance beat and some catchy understandable sing along lyrics help.

Its already been mentioned before, but the progressive rock category fails on many of the metrics that lead to female fans. The bands are fronted by awkward, average to below average or straight up fugly guys, then you have the long song lengths and on top of that the wacky time signature that can't be danced to.

On 6/13/2018 at 8:28 PM, captained said:

yeah, i'll second fugazi.  off the top of my head from recent memory, according to my wife:

the hold steady

grandaddy

nine inch nails

alice in chains

metallica

basically all of the rap/hip hop i listen to (ugk, dj screw, clipse/pusha t, j. cole, childish gambino, 2pac, biggie, nas, etc.)

Agree with the sentiment, but disagree on the hip hop details. Chicks love J. Cole and Childish in my experience. Saw Childish at ACL before Outkast's performance and the crowd was littered with blonde college chicks. White people love Donald Glover. And women from Houston like UGK and DJ Screw now that they're gone and reached legendary status, not sure that they did when they were here though.

Some bands just have a different philosophy, a different reason why they do the things they do. Its like the old baseball writers who would say "Its why they play the game...."

At least some d-bag artists like Kid Rock will admit they only ever made music to get girls attention and get laid, when you look at all the models that a guy like Richie Sambora hooks up with before he hangs it up it all starts to make sense.

On 7/10/2018 at 10:10 AM, trza-hawk said:

NIN is classic angry male music, just set to a dance beat with vintage nineties production values. Not exactly candy for the teenage girls who spend so much time, money, energy following their favorite musicians.

Are you now or have you ever been familiar with girls who wear fishnets