Oklahoma sucks bongs, Med Marijuana passes

Dertyberd

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/elections/medical-marijuana-passes-see-how-each-oklahoma-county-voted-on/article_f00d2998-6206-5698-8b3a-c8b30820b063.html

"Oklahoma voters on Tuesday appear to have made it legal to use, sell and grow marijuana for medicinal purposes in a referendum two years in the making.

About 57 percent of voters approved the measure.

State Question 788 would take effect in just 30 days, so lawmakers are expected to scramble back to the Capitol to tackle the host of regulatory issues raised by the creation of an all-new licensing program and marijuana processing industry."

It will be interesting to see how the legislature handles the regulation.  Problem for the incumbents up for re-election is that it passed by almost 14pts and they can't fuck around before the general or they'll get attacked.  There is a "change" vibe going on in Oklahoma due to the teachers strike, revenue failures, and all around ineptitude of the entrenched Christian Conservatives and Tea Party hardcores.  The Lt. Gov., Trump endorsed (Tump Jr. campaigned for him) candidate for Governor lost in the primary last night, making him the first Lt. Gov. in history to not get the party nomination.  He lost to the moderate mayor from OKC, and a rich mortgage banker outsider (reminds me of Trump). 

Blows my mind that OK legalized pot before Texas.  Never thought I'd see the day.  

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So not just the LG losing, but something like 6 other Republican statehouse incumbents lost and 4 more went to run-offs.

Oklahomans are pissed the fuck off.

As well they should be.  GOP has ruined that state but then again, they did exactly what they said they'd do and the Okies voted for them anyway.

Dem turnout was huge for them but weed was on the ballot so that may have driven some turnout.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Dems took that Governor's seat.

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

So not just the LG losing, but something like 6 other Republican statehouse incumbents lost and 4 more went to run-offs.

Oklahomans are pissed the fuck off.

Yes they are.  The failure of the last 8 years of tax cuts and oil & gas giveaways have finally taken hold here.  Not sure where this will end up, but they might get a D for Gov.  The legislature won't flip D, but there will more of them elected, and certainly be more moderate R's elected.  Sucks to be an R incumbent.  

7 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Good for them. When I was in Tulsa a few weeks ago every damn commercial was against this bill. It sounded like some 1940's MJ is bad and will kill you type of shit. 

The Chamber of Commerce and O&G folks didn't do themselves any favors supporting that crap.  Their holy glow of supreme rule was already tarnished during the teachers strike, this just proves how out of touch they are.  It was an embarrassing campaign to scare the old's and gullible's that wasted a lot of money.  Makes my heart happy when they spend a bunch and lose.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Legalize it, tax it, fund education with it.

I have family in Colorado and go tdy where there several times a year.  I dunno the truth behind it. But apparently this was one of the promises of legal weed here and it still hasn’t come to fruition and no one seems to know where the loot is going 

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I have family in Colorado and go tdy where there several times a year.  I dunno the truth behind it. But apparently this was one of the promises of legal weed here and it still hasn’t come to fruition and no one seems to know where the loot is going 

I actually read about this recently. 

http://www.westword.com/news/heres-where-your-colorado-marijuana-tax-dollars-go-10214271

marijuana.tax.revenue.three.graphic.jpg

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

The nice thing in OK is there was no big campaign promising to fix all the financial ills of the state.  It really was grassroots vs. big money.  More of a fuck you to the establishment than the next thing to save education.  Folks got burned here on the lottery years ago.  No one is buying that there is a single fix to the revenue problem. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’m curious if this is actually occurring or lip service. If so thaTs how it should be. Infrastructure and teachers. 2 things sorely needing an upgrade in America. Especially our underpaid educators 

1 hour ago, dOUblewide said:

Hopefully rec use will get approved in the near future.

I'm sure it will take a few years to prove that the devil is not behind MJ use. 

There's a petition going around now to get a constitutional amendment on the ballot this fall for full recreational. As a Rep voter and teetotaler, I support it. This SQ might get gutted by the legislature. I hope not but I have zero faith in these guys.

IMO there's almost no chance the D candidate wins the primary. I don't really mind the guy (and I plan to vote for him, as I don't like either R) but D's probably won't get the Gov's office back for a long time. 

9 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

I’m curious if this is actually occurring or lip service. If so thaTs how it should be. Infrastructure and teachers. 2 things sorely needing an upgrade in America. Especially our underpaid educators 

Having just moved from Colorado, you must understand. They had to have tax holidays every year because they collected so much mj tax.

The schools were fully funded every year 

The schools building funds were funded every year.

The accounting of the money is released every year.

The shit works, and now that I live in Oklahoma (because of the rise in housing costs in Colorado since post-legalization) I hope the same thing happens here.

10 hours ago, Dertyberd said:

Blows my mind that OK legalized pot before Texas.  Never thought I'd see the day.  

Referendum.

I gotta think if Texas had a referendum process, and we don't, it would also pass here. And yall are surprised the math heads in OK voted for a legal drug? Really?

And I'd like to keep Texas without a referendum process. It just seems to being even more fun to politics.