The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

Whoah!

McCarran ATC flakes out on the job:

https://www.fox5vegas.com/news/concerns-arise-after-las-vegas-air-traffic-controller-is-incapacitated/article_179492aa-e70e-11e8-9715-7f68225cdb4a.html

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -- An air traffic controller at McCarran International Airport was heard in recordings slurring her words before going silent on the job.

It caused confusion among pilots. On Monday, the FAA confirmed that controller is no longer employed. The agency didn’t give any more details about what happened that night.

Controller: Landing at possible [inaudible] enter Las Vegas [inaudible].

Controller: Taxi at Bravo, Charlie, Five, Charlie. I'm sorry, Bravo [inaudible].

Pilot: Uh, you're going to have to repeat that again because you wanted us on Charlie.

FOX5 spoke to passengers at McCarran about the incident.

“That’s not anything that you take lightly,” Connie Moyer said.

“I’d like to see people be a little more concerned about those people they're taking care of in the air,” Kevin Koski said.

Pilot: I hate to uh, ask this but, uh, do you have a supervisor?

In the 20 minute audio clip, the controller slurred her words as she tried to give instructions. At one point, she told a pilot to taxi on the wrong runway.

Controller: Delta, what was your cross lane?

Pilot: Oh, we just took of on right and we're out of here. Delta 1355, want us to switch?

Controller: Oh my gosh, yes. Delta 1355.

The controller began coughing and ignored pilots’ questions.

Controller: Sorry, I’m uh, choking a little bit.

Tower: Our ramp controller just advised everybody to call their respective companies to find out what’s going on.

Pilots were forced to communicate with each other to figure out where to go.

Pilot: Is there anybody there that knows what they’re doing?

A medical team responded to the controller. A second controller was on his break and had to rush to the tower to take over.

“I know it's an overworked job, but still people have to know when they're incapable of performing it and step out as opposed to pass out,” Koski said.

Passengers were surprised she was working in the tower alone.

Edited by Armybrat

Pics from Pima. First, they have quite the collection and in a very nice quality facility. Sure, the stuff outside takes a beating in the harsh Arizona sun, but still you have to marvel at the variety. Sun was in my face for a lot of pics, but that’s just the luck of timing vs. the way their airplanes are set out.

Curtiss F4C Hawk. Love the between war stuff.
bea9ba15ad07b938db1a3f0e7f7c8651.jpg

Weird little one off helicopter
d55637243cc83bca7a240258d722f391.jpg

Drop tank racer
36d21eecbe460774e937876f82d4ab92.jpg

O-52
a20eea204f2faadc01a7b3e7cdad8b28.jpg

F11F
4ff713ef1f3cb0dcac46379d66b83332.jpg

F-4
6256e3236851d38c7dd3c9a669107b4d.jpg

• Like 3

I don’t know when they parked that KB-50 there, but you can pop your head in the back where the spool/hose/drogue is and the smell of jet fuel is potent.

Almost forgot the Guppy:
6ab90b0400c0000b7003e45fddd75e16.jpg

So that’s 3 C-97s and a B-50. If you add in the B-29 there’s five developments of the same airframe. Pretty cool.

Connies:
5a2c8728ca7e91051e31fad2fb5ef152.jpg

34047f59535ee3db11c660d0bfd4ca39.jpg
^Count the Connies in this pic.

07de89fbc76bfa7b077f9fc898c9962e.jpg

0464760f379429eeee349d420facc69d.jpg

d35a6dc6da3b0e95f6783589750070af.jpg

01f63dfac2fed145ec252402059114a1.jpg

• Like 5

On 11/20/2018 at 7:08 PM, Armybrat said:

Wonder if that’s the Connie I rode on from NYC to St. Louis in 1953.

I'm gonna bite on this.  What was that like?  Which airline?

Because I've been on a C-47, and it was loud as hell.  But then again, it was a C-47 with no insulation, etc.  Just the aluminum and then those loud Pratts.  

Speaking of Connies, this popped up while I was hanging with family this weekend.  A Connie with turboprops.  It was later converted back to recips:

Lockheed_R7V-2_turboprop_Connie_in_fligh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_L-1249_Super_Constellation

• Like 1

I met a man yesterday, who according to his son in law is one of the last remaining pilots to have flown the B17 in WWII. This was after the man and I had talked and he walked away. His name is "Bud", that's all I know. Wish I could have thanked him.

8 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I'm gonna bite on this.  What was that like?  Which airline?

Because I've been on a C-47, and it was loud as hell.  But then again, it was a C-47 with no insulation, etc.  Just the aluminum and then those loud Pratts.  

Speaking of Connies, this popped up while I was hanging with family this weekend.  A Connie with turboprops.  It was later converted back to recips:

Lockheed_R7V-2_turboprop_Connie_in_fligh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_L-1249_Super_Constellation

I recall it was pretty loud compared to today’s jets, but nothing like a C-47. Ride was very smooth because the cigarette smoke made me a bit ill. Beautiful plane - can’t remember if it was Pan American or not.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I recall it was pretty loud compared to today’s jets, but nothing like a C-47. Ride was very smooth because the cigarette smoke made me a bit ill. Beautiful plane - can’t remember if it was Pan American or not.

http://www.conniesurvivors.com

^For fans of Connies, this guy runs a pretty comprehensive site.

Edited by Chad Fuck