The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

I had all three of those and they were very helpful. I laughed when I saw the Say Again, Please title. Going into training coms were one of my biggest fears. You will laugh too after you've been at it for a month or so. It becomes automatic pretty fast.

I did the King School online groundschool paired with the Cessna training program. I have also watched the Jeppesen and Sporty's training programs and I seem to remember I got more from the Sporty's training on approach and landing than I took away from John and that criminal whore, Martha.

On 3/6/2019 at 3:10 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Starting to do my research into a PPL.  Since this is for recreation and not a career, it looks like Part 61 would be the recommended path.  Also, I have a full time job, so the strict requirements of a Part 141 don't seem like the right path for me.

Looking at Ground School options.  Is the self-study method an option to pass the written test?  I see Gleim's, Sporty's, King's, and ASA's.

Did not know if anyone had experience or knowledge doing this?  Thought it would be a reasonable investment and a nice option given my full-time job.

No need to expedite the process.  Want to learn everything as well as possible.  However long it takes, it takes.  Thanks for any advice you guys can share.

1) Free online ground school.

2) Read the PHAK. Try and understand it, it's the best textbook in terms of clarity. Mostly just concepts.

3) Sportys for the VFR test question bank and do questions until you feel comfortable. The FAA test is weird. Really old school. 

4) I don't know where you are located. I am a member of North Texas Aviators and Houston Area Aviators. Only reason I ever go on Facebook. Find the one for your local area. Post: "I need a CFI" and you will get many references, as you are a paying customer. The CFI will sign you off for your test and get your student license for you.

You can also get signed off if you do that pay sites: Fly8ma.com and MzeroA.com are both good. I don't like Schappert that much but he's a good teacher.

Flying is awesome. I fucking love it.

Edited by Thetexashammer

Just ordered these 3 books.  They seemed like good references, if not actual study guides:

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge
Say Again, Please : Guide to Radio Communications
Airplane Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-3A)
I have all 3 of those in the attic somewhere.

Debated putting this in Nerds.

https://www.livescience.com/64941-merging-supersonic-shockwaves-photo.html

NASA Just Captured the First-Ever Photos of Merging Supersonic Shock Waves

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1h

In the recent event, NASA's air-to-air schlieren photographic technology captured images of mingling shock waves from two T-38 supersonic U.S. Air Force Test Pilot School airplanes. These craft fly about 30 feet (9 meters) from one another and at a 10-foot (3 m) difference in height, according to a NASA statement.

Snapped by another plane flying at about 2,000 feet (610 m) above the two fast-moving aircraft, the images captured how the shock waves became distorted or curved as they interacted. "We never dreamt that it would be this clear, this beautiful," J.T. Heineck, a physical scientist at NASA's Ames Research Center in California, said in the statement. 

They also snapped a photo that they called a "knife-edge" shot of supersonic shock waves created by a single T-38. Shock waves created by a single aircraft look like straight lines emenating like a cone off the tip of the aircraft. 

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1h

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Thanks for all the information, fellas.  I'll keep you in the loop on the progress.  Up here in Longview (KGGG).

One of my college roommates works there in airport ops. He’ll be the really nice goateed guy racing up and down the runway doing “inspections”. 

On 3/7/2019 at 1:19 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Just ordered these 3 books.  They seemed like good references, if not actual study guides:

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

Say Again, Please : Guide to Radio Communications

Airplane Flying Handbook (FAA-H-8083-3A)

CFI here. Definitely recommend the PHAK. I also really like the book Stick and Rudder. It's really old, but it stands up to the test of time unbelievably well.

Edited by Longhornmaniac8

On 3/9/2019 at 7:23 PM, Thetexashammer said:

The Killing Zone: How and Why Pilots die. Not an intro book, but definitely important for every student to read.

I read this book at ~150 hrs and was constantly on my mind over the following 150+ thinking "when am I going to get complacent and fuck this up?" Luckily never did.

Update. Went ahead and did the $39/month on Fly8MA.  Cancelable at any time.  With this, you get more Ground School lessons and they give you the endorsement for the written exam once done.  Free access didnt.  Shouldn't take me more than 4-6 weeks to get through, then I can cancel.  Seems like a good deal and a good way to supplement with the PHAK and other material.  Flying blind here, pardon the pun.

Voted the other day to drop some big $$$ on our 182.  Engine has been ordered and we are in line with the avionics shop in GGG to get the goods installed.

Digital HSI
Engine from Penn Yan Aero ($36K) 
Battery box
LED strobes
ADS-B (in and out)
Garmin 650 GPS
Engine Analizer  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 10:51 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

anyone know who owns the private jet that has longhorns and a backwards flying texas flag on the tail that's parked in aspen occasionally?

If it's a King Air B200 it's probably Don Evans.  It has a decal under the pilot's window that says "Bevo Air"

I know he has a place in Aspen

On 3/12/2019 at 9:12 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Update. Went ahead and did the $39/month on Fly8MA.  Cancelable at any time.  With this, you get more Ground School lessons and they give you the endorsement for the written exam once done.  Free access didnt.  Shouldn't take me more than 4-6 weeks to get through, then I can cancel.  Seems like a good deal and a good way to supplement with the PHAK and other material.  Flying blind here, pardon the pun.

I know I'm late to the game here.  But I did King for my PPL, but couldn't stand to look at Martha any longer so I'm doing Sporty's for my instrument, it can get dull, but I like the no frills approach.  Just the info you need, no dumb "jokes"

Also, The ASA Oral Exam Guide was huge for my oral exam, It's also a great review for all the info you need on the written.

• 2 weeks later...
Done with the online ground school.  Now studying for the written. Researching CFIs/Flight Schools (Longview area).  Will also get my medical in the next couple weeks.  Anything to worry about for a 3rd class?
Also, there is a flying club at GGG. Can't recall the name though, check with the FBO.

Or go through this list and give somebody a call: http://www.city-data.com/pilots/longview-city-texas.html

On 4/4/2019 at 6:39 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Done with the online ground school.  Now studying for the written. Researching CFIs/Flight Schools (Longview area).  Will also get my medical in the next couple weeks.  Anything to worry about for a 3rd class?

If you find a good one let me know. I want to start the process before long as well and will be looking in the same area depending on where we end up buying when our house finally sells.

Big balls indeed. Those men are truly deserving of the word awesome.

My cousin, Warrant Officer Charles Garvin Dougan, was killed while covering a medivac in his Huey gunship. An NVA rpg hit his chopper, killing all aboard, and they were unable to retrieve the remains for several days. The after action report stated that the cause of death was either gunshots, burns, extreme blunt trauma, or all of the above. RIP Gary.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Big balls indeed. Those men are truly deserving of the word awesome.

My cousin, Warrant Officer Charles Garvin Dougan, was killed while covering a medivac in his Huey gunship. An NVA rpg hit his chopper, killing all aboard, and they were unable to retrieve the remains for several days. The after action report stated that the cause of death was either gunshots, burns, extreme blunt trauma, or all of the above. RIP Gary.

Jesus, that's terrible AB.

In other news, a notable passing: 

Richard Cole, 103, Last Survivor of Doolittle Raid on Japan, Dies

Richard E. Cole, who was Jimmy Doolittle’s co-pilot in the lead plane of a storied mission in the history of American air power, the bombing raid on Japan in retaliation for its attack on Pearl Harbor months earlier, died on Tuesday in San Antonio. He was 103 and the last survivor of the 80 Doolittle raiders, who carried out America’s first strikes against the Japanese homeland in World War II.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/09/obituaries/richard-cole-dead.html

I got to meet him at Oshkosh a couple years ago.  Got a signed profile drawing of he and Doolittle's plane.  

Fair skies and following tailwinds.

• Like 1

Also, 

Japan Finds Wreckage From F-35 Fighter Jet, but Pilot Is Still Missing

The Japanese military said on Wednesday that it had found parts of a fighter jet that crashed into the Pacific on a training exercise, but that the pilot was still missing.

The warplane, an F-35A, disappeared over the waters east of Aomori Prefecture on the northern part of Honshu, Japan’s largest island, on Tuesday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/10/world/asia/missing-f35-japan-stealth-fighter.html?action=click&module=Associated&pgtype=Article&region=Footer&contentCollection=At War