The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

While we're at it, this could probably go in the movie thread but I thought you all are probably the target audience.  Someone has taken William Wyler's 15 hours of original footage for The Memphis Belle movie and taken a deep dive to go beyond the 30 minutes of the original.  

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/the-cold-blue

• Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 6:58 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

The yoke is not a steering wheel. The yoke is not a steering wheel.  The yoke is not a steering wheel. The yoke is not a steering wheel...

I'll pass on what really helps me with wind corrections while taxiing (assuming you are in a tricycle and not a tail wheel)

I set the heading bug to the wind direction when I get the weather.  Then the mnemonic is "turn into, dive away"  When the heading bug is above the line between 270/90, I turn the yoke toward the bug.  When it is below the line, I turn the yoke away from it.  (example if the wind is @300 and I'm pointed at 360, I have the yoke turned all the way to the left or "turned into" the heading bug if the wind is @ 240 and I'm pointed at 360 I have the yoke all the away to the right to "Dive away" from the bug.

Keep us posted

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 9:46 AM, Moby Ric said:

Fuck United is updating their livery.  I wonder how much they spent on this lazy shit?

33814569678_1ccdd2353c_b.jpg

i actually like it.  Not a total departure from a classic design, but a mild update.  Nothing wrong with it, but certainly not really moving the needle either. I prefer the old one.  it was timeless and im not sure it was in need of an update.  That said, it could have been way worse.  Still hate the AA livery change.  

6 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

i actually like it.  Not a total departure from a classic design, but a mild update.  Nothing wrong with it, but certainly not really moving the needle either. I prefer the old one.  it was timeless and im not sure it was in need of an update.  That said, it could have been way worse.  Still hate the AA livery change.  

Speaking of the AA livery change, there's a big bird in those colors now pulling up to the terminal at AUS.  The 773ER operating HKG-DFW was diverted this afternoon presumably due to weather in Dallas.

9 hours ago, BTW said:

I'll pass on what really helps me with wind corrections while taxiing (assuming you are in a tricycle and not a tail wheel)

I set the heading bug to the wind direction when I get the weather.  Then the mnemonic is "turn into, dive away"  When the heading bug is above the line between 270/90, I turn the yoke toward the bug.  When it is below the line, I turn the yoke away from it.  (example if the wind is @300 and I'm pointed at 360, I have the yoke turned all the way to the left or "turned into" the heading bug if the wind is @ 240 and I'm pointed at 360 I have the yoke all the away to the right to "Dive away" from the bug.

Keep us posted

Thanks.  I'll try this out.  I appreciate you more experienced folks putting up with my stream of thoughts.

Had 2nd in-flight lesson on Sunday.  Weather has been horrible, so we finally caught a break.  Winds were calm (6 knots).  Taxi went well.  Take-off was normal.  We had to turn slightly at about 1,500' ft to dodge some clouds.  Got to 3,000', and we performed medium bank turns, Dutch rolls, and slow flight.  Apart from coming out of slow flight once, where I accidentally went from full flaps to no flaps.  I missed the intermediate notch😮.  Did not cause any problems, but my instructor explained to me how important that would be for the checkride.

Some clouds had settled in around the airport when it was time to turn back, so we had to request an IFR/ILS landing.  We got our altitude and vector and threw on the autopilot for a bit.  That was awesome.  No wonder the airline guys keep it smooth.  Flew through a couple clouds on the approach, and I did my first landing.  The airplane and it's passengers all remained intact, so I considered it a very successful first landing. 

Much less nerve-racking experience than the gusty first lesson.  As a golfer, to me, it's about reps and getting comfortable in your environment.  This is no different.  Next lesson we will be doing a bunch of takeoffs and landings.  Looking forward to that.

Edited by Texas St. Armadillos
  • Like 4

On 5/2/2019 at 10:09 PM, markstanco said:

Yea, a 600 is really nice. If you are asking if it is worth buying, then yes?

Yea there might be other issues beyond one servo. Repair bill looks like $5k. The 600 installed with tax is $34k but it should add some value to the plane. 

Partners decided to do it. Can’t wait to fly it sometime in June. 

• Like 1

At my buddy's office in chico and this U2 was circling over for 10 mins doing touch and go at the airport nextdoor.

Wish i took more pics, i have video might post later
4bc7590c59da033280f872842c9e55ad.jpga3db9b7e58a079f0b83f4da78a41846e.jpgee950eeeb4f0368313af10f8137c8fdc.jpg

There’s a great thread on base ops forum about the ‘Lady. It’s insightful, particularly the interview process and what they look for in a pilot to fly to the edge of space...of all the birds that Mr Johnson was fully engaged in, it amazes me that this is the one that’s still an operational cornerstone of usaf. Even Global Hawk can’t match the payload and flexibility of an ancient powered glider. I read Skunk Works during our flight to Thailand, great insight into the strategic needs and drive that lead to its creation.

When I think of coffin corner, I think of the U-2...a few knots below Vmo and a few above stall...great airplane.

First off, thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families in the accident in Alaska.  Horrible and probably avoidable.

Had another lesson Sunday.  Good conditions.  As you guys said, the taxi is coming along nicely now.  Went out to the West practice area (out towards Kilgore and Gladewater).  We did a lot of rudder work.  I was still having a tough time getting my feel, so he made me take my shoes off to get a better feel.  At one point, he covered all instruments up and said "Fly me to Longview".  This was to get me to start identifying landmarks.  Once we got to Longview, he said fly me to your house.  Very cool and we got some pictures.  This seemed like a different session in that it was less about maneuvers and more about VFR flying.  Turning not just to a certain heading, but to a landmark.  Had a good base and turn to final and landed.

A couple things on the landing that I had questions on.  First, it sure seemed like I was going to land short of the runway, but we obviously didn't.  I guess that is about getting more reps and understanding my true position on the final.  I guess as long as I have 2 whites, and 2 reds I'm good.  Also, when is the right time to flare?  How much back pressure (is there a spot on the horizon I should use)?  How long do I hold it (until the back wheels are down?).

Thanks again for this forum.  It really helps me debrief and review my lessons.

Edited by Texas St. Armadillos

There are all kinds of rules of thumb on when to flare and how much back pressure to hold, but (and you'll hate hearing this) you just have to see it a bunch of times, and screw it up a bunch of times to figure out what looks right and what doesn't.  Some guys flare higher but with a gradual round-out, others flare low with a more deliberate round-out.  Either way is ok if you have the right amount of back pressure for that particular landing.  It's like riding a bike, hard to explain... you just have to do it until you can do it.  I know that's frustrating, but just keep at it.  Over time you'll develop an innate feeling of where the wheels are and when they'll touch down.  

One thing that helped me on final was learning to gauge where the threshold and numbers are in relation to the windshield.  On final they should be about 1/3 of the way up the glass.  Now that part is just a rule of thumb and it may vary depending on your height and seat position, but the important part is that If the threshold is appearing to move down the glass you're gonna land long and if the threshold is moving up the glass you are coming in short.  It took me a while to be able to see that, but it works once you get used to looking at it that way.   I don't even look at the VASI or PAPI unless it's dark outside.  I'm colorblind and the lights all look the same to me in the daytime, but the numbers relative to the windshield method never fails.  

I'll defer to you more seasoned vets on advice here, but on short final, I like to pick a small and specific spot on the runway, say the near near of a runway stripe or the top right corner of the left-side runway number.  Then I just keep that spot from moving in any direction relative to my position, if it's centered in the windshield, it shouldn't move, it should only get bigger.  On back-pressure, I just go level and look at the end of the runway before the wheels touch, then I apply however much back pressure is require to keep the plane from sinking.  When I do it right, I can land on the mains and the nose-wheel never touches the ground for a touch and go (which is also good practice for short field take-off).

On 5/14/2019 at 2:23 PM, BTW said:

I'll defer to you more seasoned vets on advice here, but on short final, I like to pick a small and specific spot on the runway, say the near near of a runway stripe or the top right corner of the left-side runway number.  Then I just keep that spot from moving in any direction relative to my position, if it's centered in the windshield, it shouldn't move, it should only get bigger.  On back-pressure, I just go level and look at the end of the runway before the wheels touch, then I apply however much back pressure is require to keep the plane from sinking.  When I do it right, I can land on the mains and the nose-wheel never touches the ground for a touch and go (which is also good practice for short field take-off).

It's been years since I've sat in the seat with a good view, but this was pretty close to how I was taught in a Cessna.  On final, pick a spot past the numbers and keep your eyes/aim on it.  No death grip on the yoke.  As you bring it in, I'd level out a few feet above the runway and bleed off airspeed for a few seconds and the second I felt the plane begin to sink, I'd try to flare at about the rate of sink.  I did it enough that I could feel it out pretty good and grease the runway. 

Of course, when there was a cross-wind, it was a bit more involved and had a more seat of the pants feel to it. 

Elevator trim is your best friend on short final. Don't be shy and crank that sucker back. You will learn that back pressure is minimal when yiu get good at the trim. Exact reason for slow flight. Have patience, you'll get very comfortable behind the power curve.

Edited by Cosimo de' Medici

18 hours ago, Cosimo de' Medici said:

Elevator trim is your best friend on short final. Don't be shy and crank that sucker back. You will learn that back pressure is minimal when yiu get good at the trim. Exact reason for slow flight. Have patience, you'll get very comfortable behind the power curve.

good point here.

On final I am cranking the wheel back as well, where I dont have to add or take away back pressure.  Also, on final, (and I hope your CFI has said this) pick a point down the runway when on final.  I'll find a bug splatter and make sure it isnt moving up or down.  

9 hours ago, markstanco said:

good point here.

On final I am cranking the wheel back as well, where I dont have to add or take away back pressure.  Also, on final, (and I hope your CFI has said this) pick a point down the runway when on final.  I'll find a bug splatter and make sure it isnt moving up or down.  

Hmmm.  I was never taught that bit about cranking the trim wheel back.  Seems like it would set you up for some trouble in the event of an unexpected go around.

11 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

Hmmm.  I was never taught that bit about cranking the trim wheel back.  Seems like it would set you up for some trouble in the event of an unexpected go around.

Ive done numerous go arounds  and it doesnt affect me at all.  Spin the wheel while climbing.  

On 5/16/2019 at 8:24 PM, Bobby_Batronic said:

Yeah, my recollection was to set elevator trim at the Takeoff/Landing setting.  But I wasn't seasoned enough to figure out if such an adjustment was of a lot of value and minimal detriment when things go crossways. 

On 5/17/2019 at 11:00 AM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

As a student pilot, I'm sure my CFI would lose his shit if took my hand off the throttle.  Sounds like an experienced pilot move. :)

Well, some times you have to adjust the flaps, the carb heat, the mixture, the trim, the radio, etc.  Better to use your throttle hand.  :)

On the climb out, you presumably have the throttle to the firewall.  I never had an issue with the knob creeping while I did other checkist items with that hand. 

Edited by dcbc

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Yeah, my recollection was to set elevator trim at the Takeoff/Landing setting.  But I wasn't seasoned enough to figure out if such an adjustment was of a lot of value and minimal detriment when things go crossways. 

I’ve never had anyone say anything about the trim on landing other than to have the plane trimmed for approach. And that’s usually pretty close to climb out speed in a GA plane. Honestly, there’s just not enough back pressure required to have to crank trim in during the flare. 

I may be overthinking it, but it seems like you might be setting yourself up for trouble if you have to go around unexpectedly, and snatch the plane off the ground with nearly full up nose trim. Particularly for less experienced pilots.  

13 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

I’ve never had anyone say anything about the trim on landing other than to have the plane trimmed for approach. And that’s usually pretty close to climb out speed in a GA plane. Honestly, there’s just not enough back pressure required to have to crank trim in during the flare. 

I may be overthinking it, but it seems like you might be setting yourself up for trouble if you have to go around unexpectedly, and snatch the plane off the ground with nearly full up nose trim. Particularly for less experienced pilots.  

I just remember there being some sort of label next to the trim indicator.  It's been a while.

20 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I just remember there being some sort of label next to the trim indicator.  It's been a while.

It might not be a big deal in a GA plane. But I have never done it, and we were instructed not to trim full nose back while demonstrating stalls in every plane I’ve flown since a Cessna for the very reason I’m suggesting. And we knew ahead of time we were recovering from that. 

7 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

It might not be a big deal in a GA plane. But I have never done it, and we were instructed not to trim full nose back while demonstrating stalls in every plane I’ve flown since a Cessna for the very reason I’m suggesting. And we knew ahead of time we were recovering from that. 

I wasn't suggesting otherwise.  I never had an issue getting a cessna to flare.  Trim was something I used to hold what I already had a little easier rather than to help me get there in the first place. 

21 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I wasn't suggesting otherwise.  I never had an issue getting a cessna to flare.  Trim was something I used to hold what I already had a little easier rather than to help me get there in the first place. 

No I know you weren’t suggesting that. Preaching from my soapbox at  large. 

• Like 1

I probably should elaborate. Crank the trim back didn't mean nose up trim to the stops. Really did it to the point of needing minimal back pressure. Realistically ended up being 4 or 5 full turns from base to final timeframe. I've practiced go-around in that setup and the 182s 230hp never presented an unsafe config.