The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

Surprised they could fit their balls through the plane door. 

43341-AFD-D69-B-4-C65-BEE8-2-E49-E57-EF3-AC.jpg

Wow small world. When we lived in Greece, NY a friend of mine was Gary’s kiddo and I saw his medals in their basement but was too young to really grasp it at the time. He worked as a counselor.

The park across from our neighborhood was named after him.

Done with the online ground school.  Now studying for the written. Researching CFIs/Flight Schools (Longview area).  Will also get my medical in the next couple weeks.  Anything to worry about for a 3rd class?

The Medical is cake unless you have a sketchy history. Get it done early so there’s no surprises. A good site to peruse ahead of time if for no other reason than to browse eye charts and look at what meds are ok: https://www.leftseat.com

Also another ggg option for CFI is this guy. Don’t know him but he promotes quite regularly on FB pilot pages.

https://kerrymackey.com/

18 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Had a similar thought at first glance, as well. Every other twin-boom design I've seen features a shared horizontal stabilizer (think P-38).

There was this one:

Heinkel-He-111Z-Zwilling-(T-+KX)-01.jpg

IMG_0277_e3.jpg

Spoiler

The He 111Z Zwilling (English: Twin) was a design that entailed the mating of two He 111s. The design was originally conceived to tow the Messerschmitt Me 321 glider. Initially, four He 111 H-6s were modified. This resulted in an aircraft with twin fuselages and five engines. They were tested at Rechlin in 1941, and the pilots rated them highly.[63]

A batch of 10 were produced and five were built from existing H-6s. The machines were joined by a center wing formed by two sections 6.15 m (20 ft) in length. The powerplants were five Junkers Jumo 211F engines producing 1,000 kW (1,340 hp) each. The total fuel capacity was 8,570 L (2,260 US gal). This was increased by adding of four 600 L (160 US gal) drop tanks.[36] The He111Z could tow a Gotha Go 242 glider or Me 321 for up to 10 hours at cruising speed. It could also remain airborne if the three central powerplants failed. The He 111 Z-2 and Z-3 were also planned as heavy bombers carrying 1,800 kg (3,970 lb) of bombs and having a range of 4,000 km (2,500 mi). The ETC installations allowed for a further four 600 L (160 US gal) drop tanks to be installed.

The He 111 Z-2 could carry four Henschel Hs 293 anti-ship missiles, which were guided by the FuG 203b Kehl III missile control system.[64] With this load, the He 111Z had a range of 1,094 km (680 mi) and a speed of 314 km/h (195 mph). The maximum bombload was 7,200 kg (15,870 lb). To increase power, the five Jumo 211F-2 engines were slated to be fitted with Hirth TK 11 superchargers. Onboard armament was the same as the He 111H-6, with the addition of one 20 mm MG 151/20 in a rotating gun-mount on the center section.

The layout of the He 111Z had the pilot and his controls in the port fuselage only. The controls themselves and essential equipment were all that remained in the starboard section. The aircraft had a crew of seven; a pilot, first mechanic, radio operator and gunner in the port fuselage, and the observer, second mechanic and gunner in the starboard fuselage.[36]

The Z-3 was to be a reconnaissance version and would have had additional fuel tanks, increasing its range to 6,000 km (3,730 mi). Production was due to take place in 1944, just as bomber production was being abandoned. The long-range variants failed to come to fruition.[65] The He 111Z was to have been used in an invasion of Malta in 1942 and as part of an airborne assault on the Soviet cities of Astrakhan and Baku in the Caucasus in the same year. During the Battle of Stalingrad their use was cancelled due to insufficient airfield capacity. Later in 1943, He111Zs helped evacuate German equipment and personnel from the Caucasus region, and during the Allied invasion of Sicily, attempted to deliver reinforcements to the island.[66]

During operations, the He 111Z did not have enough power to lift a fully loaded Me 321. Some He 111s were supplemented by rocket pods for extra takeoff thrust, but this was not a fleet-wide action. Two rockets were mounted beneath each fuselage and one underneath each wing. This added 500 kg (1,100 lb) in weight. The pods were then released by parachute after takeoff.[36]

The He 111Z's operational history was minimal. One machine was caught by RAF fighter aircraft over France on 14 March 1944. The He 111Z was towing a Gotha Go 242, and was shot down.[67] Eight were shot down or destroyed on the ground in 1944.[68]

• Like 1

Here's a rabbit hole for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-fuselage_aircraft

Spoiler

Types are listed in chronological order of first flight or, for those which never flew, of project announcement.

Type Country Class Role Date Status Notes
Belyayev DB-LK USSR Propeller Bomber 1940 Prototype  
Bestetti BN.1 Italy Propeller Private 1940 Experimental Sportplane.
Blackburn T.B. UK Propeller Patrol 1915 Production Floatplane.
Blériot 125 France Propeller Transport 1931 Prototype 12 seat airliner.
Caproni Ca.4 Italy Propeller Bomber and transport 1915 Production Series of types.[1]
Conroy Virtus USA Propeller Transport 1974 Project Shuttle transport
Dornier Do 635 Germany Propeller Fighter 1944 Project Twin Dornier Do 335 Pfeil proposal.
Twin Ercoupe USA Propeller   1946   Twin ERCO Ercoupe one-off conversion.
Fokker K.I Germany Propeller   1915 Prototype Kampfflugzeug (twin fuselage with nacelle)
Fouga CM.88 Gemeaux France Jet Experimental 1951 Operational Twin Cyclope, jet engine testbed, 2 built[2]
General Aircraft Twin Hotspur UK Glider Experimental 1942   Twin General Aircraft Hotspur
Heinkel He 111Z Germany Propeller Utility 1941 Production Glider tug. Variant of the He 111.
Labourdette-Halbronn H.T.1 France Propeller Torpedo bomber 1918 Prototype Flying boat. One H.T.1 (1918) flown.[3]
Labourdette-Halbronn H.T.2 France Propeller Torpedo bomber 1919 Prototype Flying boat. Two H.T.2 (1919) flown.[3]
Twin fuselage Lockheed C-5 Galaxy USA Jet Transport 1974 Project Shuttle transport aircraft proposal.[4][5]
Messerschmitt Bf 109Z Germany Propeller Fighter 1943 Project Twin Bf 109 prototype. Destroyed while under construction.[6]
Messerschmitt Me 609 Germany Propeller Fighter 1941 Project Twin Me 309 proposal.[6]
North American F-82 Twin Mustang USA Propeller Fighter 1945 Production Long-range.
Pipistrel Taurus G4 Slovenia Propeller Experimental 2011 Prototype Electric aircraft and competition winner.
Ricci R.1 Italy Propeller   1917 Prototype Flying-boat
Savoia-Marchetti S.55 Italy Propeller Multirole 1924 Production Flying boat.
Savoia-Marchetti S.66 Italy Propeller Transport 1931 Production Flying boat.
Savoia-Marchetti SM.92 Italy Propeller Fighter 1943 Prototype  
Scaled Composites Model 348 White Knight Two USA Jet Spacecraft launcher 2008 Prototype  
Scaled Composites Model 351 Roc USA Jet Spacecraft launcher 2019 Prototype Launcher for Stratolaunch spacecraft.
Scaled Composites Model 367 BiPod USA Propeller   2011 Experimental Flying car, carried out "hops" under wheeled power.
Thomas-Morse MB-4 USA Propeller Utility 1920 Prototype Mail plane
Towed Glider Air-Launch Concept USA   Spacecraft launcher 2013 Project NASA Dryden[7]
Tupolev ANT-22 USSR Propeller   1934 Prototype Flying boat.
Wagner Twin Cub USA Propeller   1952 Prototype Twin Piper Cub one-off conversion.[8]
Wight Twin Seaplane UK Propeller   1916 Prototype Variant of the Wight Twin Landplane of twin boom configuration.

On 4/11/2019 at 8:53 AM, HiggyBaby said:

The Medical is cake unless you have a sketchy history. Get it done early so there’s no surprises. A good site to peruse ahead of time if for no other reason than to browse eye charts and look at what meds are ok: https://www.leftseat.com

Also another ggg option for CFI is this guy. Don’t know him but he promotes quite regularly on FB pilot pages.

https://kerrymackey.com/

Thank you, sir.  

On 4/18/2019 at 6:49 AM, Your Mom said:

Congrats!! Where you at man?

Republic. Currently MCI-based until I can hold IAH.

On 4/18/2019 at 10:49 AM, markstanco said:

Thats awesome!!  Dont be like chopper pilots are to ASEL guys and look down on us.

Wouldn't dream of it. I instructed for 15 months; I will always have a soft spot for GA.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:16 AM, HiggyBaby said:

Good deal man. Welcome to the club!

Thanks! It's truly a dream come true.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Had two family friends on this plane (I know some older generations in this family, but not the two family members on the plane).  Not sure what happened, but a tremendously sad situation for a sweet family.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/22/us/texas-plane-crash/index.html

Terrible. I’ve been following this all day. Looks like it just pancaked. 

• Like 1

From FlightAware, it looks like the pilot was doing the GPS approach on 12 which requires a procedure turn. Seems a little odd because the weather was mostly clear but maybe he was just trying to get another instrument landing or there were some clouds messing stuff up. Looks to be at 4000' on outbound procedure turn, which seems correct, and by the time he is inbound, he lost 1,200' and is going very slow for a Baron (landing speed is 100 kts and plane was going 80). 

From the crash photos, as others have mentioned, it looks like the plane pancaked and there does not look to be any signs of fire. Fuel exhaustion in one or both engines? 

25 minutes ago, Telegraph_it said:

From FlightAware, it looks like the pilot was doing the GPS approach on 12 which requires a procedure turn. Seems a little odd because the weather was mostly clear but maybe he was just trying to get another instrument landing or there were some clouds messing stuff up. Looks to be at 4000' on outbound procedure turn, which seems correct, and by the time he is inbound, he lost 1,200' and is going very slow for a Baron (landing speed is 100 kts and plane was going 80). 

From the crash photos, as others have mentioned, it looks like the plane pancaked and there does not look to be any signs of fire. Fuel exhaustion in one or both engines? 

Keep in mind that FlightAware will show ground speed, not airspeed. Not disagreeing with your analysis, but it's certainly plausible for them, flying into the wind, to have a considerably slower ground speed than what would be required IAS.

42 minutes ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Keep in mind that FlightAware will show ground speed, not airspeed. Not disagreeing with your analysis, but it's certainly plausible for them, flying into the wind, to have a considerably slower ground speed than what would be required IAS.

Good point, I overlooked that. Seems like winds were out of Southeast around 8 to 10 kts in the morning hours.

Money quote from article about the NTSB investigation of Kerrville Beech Baron crash:  

"Though they did not mention why the plane might have gone down, the NTSB did say the plane had a high vertical speed and low forward speed, which is inconsistent with trying to land. NTSB officials said the plane was about 2,000 feet above ground level, which is "lower and slower than you would expect" from a plane that was 6 miles away from the destination." 

That sounds like a bad combo.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/officials-to-give-update-on-fatal-kerrville-plane-crash

7 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Money quote from article about the NTSB investigation of Kerrville Beech Baron crash:  

"Though they did not mention why the plane might have gone down, the NTSB did say the plane had a high vertical speed and low forward speed, which is inconsistent with trying to land. NTSB officials said the plane was about 2,000 feet above ground level, which is "lower and slower than you would expect" from a plane that was 6 miles away from the destination."

That sounds like a bad combo.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/officials-to-give-update-on-fatal-kerrville-plane-crash

Wut?  Sounds like a normal 3 degree glide path to me.

On 4/23/2019 at 7:02 PM, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Quick update:

Got my 3rd Class Medical today.  Tomorrow (weather permitting) will be my first lesson in the plane.  Will be doing my training with Skypark Aviation out of East Texas Regional.

What are they charging you per hour?  172 I would guess?  For information, our 172 is $116 per hour and instructors charge $50 an hour. 

13 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

$125

$55

Yes, 172.

I used to know an ATC there who had his instructors rating. He said he would go up with me to get hours for free any time I wanted as long as I paid for the rental. But he got fired. I imagine that is pretty tough to do, but he was kinda one of those whiney folks who always have a bone to pick and nothing is their fault. Also from Oklahoma. I should have taken him up on the offer though. My younger brother is in Bend, Oregon getting his flight training in, so once he gets his instructor rating he will hopefully come back down here long enough for me to get some hours in. I think I've finally got the wife on board with me getting my license. She wants the daughter to have the opportunity to be an astronaut one day, and if I can fly with her to get her interested enough to get her pilots license then she would have a better shot at the Air Force Academy. At least that's what I told my wife. It's a pipe dream, but one I can take advantage of.

• Like 1

We went up yesterday for my first flight lesson.  17 knots, gusting to 23-24. We almost didn't go.  My first time taxi was very stressful.  Could not get my mind wrapped around keeping the yoke turned into the wind then switching in the opposite direction.  I could not keep the wind direction as I made directional changes on the taxiways.  In fairness, my mind was racing and I was just trying to get a feel for the rudders and brakes to steer.  Wind was straight runway headwind.  I did the take off using right rudder to compensate for left tenancies. Due to the wind, we were airborne very quickly.  Very bumpy up until about 3k'.  Learned quickly to keep my hand on the throttle until 1,500'. :) Smoothed out at 3k' and we did basic turns.  We were going to do some steeper turns and dutch rolls, but with the winds my CFI decided against it.  Worked our way back and he did the landing given the conditions.  I resumed control for the taxi, and I had noticeably better control of the aircraft (better feel for rudders and brakes). Still need to be more smooth and subtle. My CFI said that this was a trial by fire and that I will not have more difficult conditions than this during my training....so I got that going for me.

• Like 3