The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

More videos:

Dash cam shows the plane after break-up with fire and smoke streaking down.  https://www.yahoo.com/news/dashcam-video-plane-bursts-flames-211406011.html

The next is audio only.  Listen to the engine rev and the doppler effect of plane going in different directions.  My gut tells me disorientation in IFR and the resultant loss of control ended up in the plane pulling too many G's to remain in one peice.

0b0c2c0b9c11557c832225ca622d9caf.jpg

I have both an Uncle and Cousin that are “crop dusters” out of Winnie (SE Texas). This picture was around lunch today after my cousin got fuel for his next trip.

Fun and little planes. I remember as a kid when they had bi-wing planes and my uncle would take me for a ride. He always said that I could touch the stick in the front console, just don’t pull on it!!!!

• Like 2

I have both an Uncle and Cousin that are “crop dusters” out of Winnie (SE Texas). This picture was around lunch today after my cousin got fuel for his next trip.

Fun and little planes. I remember as a kid when they had bi-wing planes and my uncle would take me for a ride. He always said that I could touch the stick in the front console, just don’t pull on it!!!!

..... f977bde795394b2640509918ac221e40.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I was always partial to this particular effort. And more importantly just those equipped with Garrett TFE 731 engines. I know they make em faster, bigger, etc. but as a kid this was what I had hoped to command one day. But, shit happens.

D55-EC01-A-D3-D5-4-E2-D-B963-CF35042-A6-

Never flew this one. The 45 with the 731-20AR was kinda a dog. The BR was somewhat sporty. The -40BR was a hotrod. 

13 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

Random thought: The Avro Lancaster, the RAF’s most widely known heavy bomber in WWII, had one pilot. The FE sat next to and slightly behind him. But one pilot.

Reminds me of a recent DH. I was seated next to two lounge lizards. One eventually looks over and asks if I’m flying the plane back. I told them that it was my turn to run the radios. 

“Oh, so you’re the side bitch.”

Pretty much. 

On 2/6/2019 at 7:41 PM, msucolt45 said:

I remember as a kid when they had bi-wing planes and my uncle would take me for a ride. He always said that I could touch the stick in the front console, just don’t pull on it!!!!

And to add to the PHRASING comment above, you were sitting in his lap!

2 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

These made me smile.

Did anyone else ever get to ride in one of these:

0683825.jpg?v=v40

I've never seen a SW 727 .   I thought they flew only 737's from the get go back in the 70's when Herb started the airline?

The closest you get to the 727 today is the MD-80 and they are being phased out.  I flew one from Jacksonville to DFW on American  a few weeks ago.  Old as heck as I could tell from the inside of the plane.  

39 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I've never seen a SW 727 .   I thought they flew only 737's from the get go back in the 70's when Herb started the airline?

The closest you get to the 727 today is the MD-80 and they are being phased out.  I flew one from Jacksonville to DFW on American  a few weeks ago.  Old as heck as I could tell from the inside of the plane.  

Well, first off--Herb didn't start the airline.

But yeah--they flew them in the early 1980's for several years after they got them from Braniff as part of an anti-trust settlement.  At some point later, they leased a fourth 727 from PeoplExpress.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 10:13 AM, Gladeite said:

I thought I heard on the podcast "How I Built This" that Herb started it?

Rollin King was the original entrepreneur behind the airline.  Herb was his lawyer.  Together, they get credit for co-founding the airline.  Rollin worked the business end and raised the capital, and Herb did the legal work (which was substantial in a regulated industry).

The cocktail napkin is a myth.  The idea was Rollin's.  But the idea changed so much between 1967, when the company was initially incorporated, and 1971 when it took its first flight, that it bore little resemblance to the notion Rollin originally had (e.g., the original plan was to fly Lockheed Electras).  It's completely fair to say that they were co-founders.

M&M? You got a cousin named Lisa?

so EK finally canceled a bunch of their 380s and will take 339s and 359s instead. 380 production will end in 2021

Came here to post this. I’ve always been fascinated by the differences in general phonology between A and B...automation strategies, CFRP vs Al adoption, bleed vs electrical, and how P2P vs Hub n Spoke was a huge bet in the (very different) 787 and A380 launches.

There are huge threads on PPrune and A.net on whether a stretched whale was in the cards...appears that has been answered in the short term at least. Seems the mix of 77W and 787-9/10 hit the mark well for the past decade vs the A388/A33x for the high dollar long haul market. I’m curious to see how round 2 plays out with the 77X vs A35X.

Of course A is cleaning up with the A320 NEO, with B being hurt by (among other things) sticking to an older design with minimal MLG height that hurts the ability to stick larger fans under the wing.

Constant cat and mouse game, I wonder if the A380 ever truly broke even.

Nowhere even close.  I read a few years back that they need to sell 420+ to hit break even.  Currently they're in the mid 230's.

That’s what I figured. They engineered it for the stretch that never happened so it’s a bit heavy and without allowance for freighter work they bet the farm on the A388 selling enough. Whoops.

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

That’s what I figured. They engineered it for the stretch that never happened so it’s a bit heavy and without allowance for freighter work they bet the farm on the A388 selling enough. Whoops.

I wonder if they might find life in the freight business hauling cargo containers. Three decks worth of space, although I wonder if you’d weight out before cubing out as a limitation. Still, that’s a lot of rubber  dog sh*t on each flight. 

• Like 1

I wonder if they might find life in the freight business hauling cargo containers. Three decks worth of space, although I wonder if you’d weight out before cubing out as a limitation. Still, that’s a lot of rubber  dog sh*t on each flight. 

How do you get it in there, and is the floor strong enough? Do you build cargo facilities that can load three decks worth?

And I think they’d bulk out before they’d mass out...but I’m an asshole enthusiast who has no real clue...that’s just thinking there’s no major cargo door to fit really heavy shit, unless you’re bringing in replica Herman balls.

The retroactive genius of ‘people will all be flying Mach 1.2+ soon so might as well plan for a freighter version by putting in this here hump above the main deck...what the fuck is Area Rule??’ blows my mind...early design decisions to compete with the C5 seems to have kept the Queen alive longer than an impressive collection of challengers...MD12, A340, A388...all dead.
  • Like 1

Valid questions. Probably have to strengthen both of the passenger decks and get Airbus to certify the installation of cargo container sized doors much like Boeing had to do for 75-767’s entering new lives as freighters.  But supposing  that’s economically feasible then I don’t see why designing a system to load and offload them would be any great challenge. 

FedEx is in love with the 777 because it can actually carry more weight from MEM to Asia than the 747 so I’m sure someone will take a peak if the numbers work out. The 380 has the legs. 

Also, the supply of relatively young 380’s will far surpass that of 747-8’s in the near future. Just spitballing.  

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

Valid points for sure, especially the last one. I wonder how many Arab princes will also have one to zoom around in given the massive floor space.

I haven’t had the pleasure to ride on one yet, and likely won’t anytime soon...a ride in Cathay J on the upper deck from HKG-LAX is an aviation highlight though...mini cabin, dedicated service, stairs in an airplane are always magic, and you could really tell you were off the center of roll in turns.

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 12:07 AM, lazytexasfan said:

so EK finally canceled a bunch of their 380s and will take 339s and 359s instead. 380 production will end in 2021

not s surprise.  place just doesn't fit the point to point flying almost everyone requires these days.  they should have never gone down that path.  the market was not calling for a plane of this size, etc.  that was evident based on slow passenger sales of 747 at that point.  

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 7:28 AM, Homercles said:

Came here to post this. I’ve always been fascinated by the differences in general phonology between A and B...automation strategies, CFRP vs Al adoption, bleed vs electrical, and how P2P vs Hub n Spoke was a huge bet in the (very different) 787 and A380 launches.

There are huge threads on PPrune and A.net on whether a stretched whale was in the cards...appears that has been answered in the short term at least. Seems the mix of 77W and 787-9/10 hit the mark well for the past decade vs the A388/A33x for the high dollar long haul market. I’m curious to see how round 2 plays out with the 77X vs A35X.

Of course A is cleaning up with the A320 NEO, with B being hurt by (among other things) sticking to an older design with minimal MLG height that hurts the ability to stick larger fans under the wing.

Constant cat and mouse game, I wonder if the A380 ever truly broke even.

zero shot the A380 was ever financially viable.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/2019/02/19/flight-reaches-mph-furious-jet-stream-packs-record-breaking-speeds/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.93f3415b8eec

(Partial copy paste)

Flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds

[https://www]
The jet stream streaks across the country.

By Matthew Cappucci

February 19 at 12:31 PM

Tuesday is a nice day across the Northeast. Temperatures near 40 in New York, light winds out of the north at 5 mph to 10 mph, and wall-to-wall sunshine sound like a tranquil day — especially by February standards. But high up in the atmosphere, it’s a different story.
The jet stream, the high-altitude air current along which storms travel, is furious. The river of air was clocked at more than 230 mph over Long Island on Monday. That measure comes from the 250 millibar pressure level, meaning it was at a height above 75 percent of the atmosphere’s mass. It sets the record for the fastest 250 millibar wind speed ever recorded over New York and, probably, the country.

• 2 weeks later...

Starting to do my research into a PPL.  Since this is for recreation and not a career, it looks like Part 61 would be the recommended path.  Also, I have a full time job, so the strict requirements of a Part 141 don't seem like the right path for me.

Looking at Ground School options.  Is the self-study method an option to pass the written test?  I see Gleim's, Sporty's, King's, and ASA's.

Did not know if anyone had experience or knowledge doing this?  Thought it would be a reasonable investment and a nice option given my full-time job.

No need to expedite the process.  Want to learn everything as well as possible.  However long it takes, it takes.  Thanks for any advice you guys can share.