The Airplane Fanatic Thread

Hornsareus

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:

^^^^^^

Good Lord. You can keep your roomy cockpit, legroom, and unmanly joystick.

It just thinks differently. Once you understand it’s logic it becomes reasonably intuitive. I was dismayed the first time I jumpseated an AA 737 and the plane’s master warning/caution lights went wild because the CA forgot to switch fuel tanks or something. Haven’t thought of that stuff since I flew a PA31. 

It just thinks differently. Once you understand it’s logic it becomes reasonably intuitive. I was dismayed the first time I jumpseated an AA 737 and the plane’s master warning/caution lights went wild because the CA forgot to switch fuel tanks or something. Haven’t thought of that stuff since I flew a PA31. 

We do all sorts of center fuel pump shenanigans since the Navy shot down TWA 800; I mean their center pumps got hot and ran dry.

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:
14 hours ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

We do all sorts of center fuel pump shenanigans since the Navy shot down TWA 800; I mean their center pumps got hot and ran dry.

It does look to me like Boeing cleaned up the overhead on the Max’s, and at least the new motors aren’t struggling to hit 2,000 hours like the Pratt Neo’s  

7 hours ago, Native Horn said:

I did that with my wife and friends maybe 6 years ago. Fascinating trip. Talkeetna is several hours drive from Anchorage through Eagle River, Palmer/Wasilla and on up the road. Lots of land for sale. Biggest Cinnamon rolls I’ve ever seen in Talkeetna. 

We were in some kind of radial conversion that day using a Garrett.   There’s one canyon you fly through called 747 that’s deeper than. The Grand Canyon. Fun trip. 

14 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Some kid building hours I would guess?

Sad story.

I dunno here, but everyone flying those tours when we went were old salts. Probably a pretty good summer flying job if you’re determined to fly small planes in Alaska. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic

Random question...at Minimums do you have to see the actual threshold or just the termination bars on the ALS? Been watching some random videos of CATIII landings where it seems they call ‘continue’ where the threshold isn’t visible (granted on my computer screen) but the lights are.

There are no minimums for a Cat III Fail Operational Approach. In fact, you enter No DH in the MCDU in the minimums section. There is an “alert height” of 100 above the touchdown zone elevation, and several altitudes and calls in the bus to ensure phases of the automation are kicking in. 

You only call “approach lights” at our operation for a Cat 1 approach since the terminating bars or anything after allows you to go below 100 agl whereas any lighting before that allows only 100agl. 

Cat 1- 200 agl

Cat 2- 100agl

Cat 3 Fail Passive- 50 agl

Cat 3 Fail Operarional- No DH. 

Edited by Bobby_Batronic
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Chuychanga said:

At SWA we don't have auto-land.  Cat III's are hand-flown to 50' agl.  By then you have to see the terminating bars or anything downfield from there.  Captain flies it on the HUD, FO makes the altitude calls. 

Don’t be silly. Hobby never gets that low weather wise. It’s some kind of magic. 

I’d trade autoland for a HUD though the plane does a fine job of it. 

I’ve probably noted this here or at Scatty Texas before, but WN is about the only company that has gone from my least favorite in an industry into my top choice.

Before I had kids I hated the boarding process, lack of first class and only flying 73Xs (preferred Mad Dogs or RJs so I could avoid middle seats). That all changed once I started traveling with kids.

Beyond flying direct to most places I need to go, y’all have unbelievable customer service via the cabin crew. They changed my mind instantly a few years ago...

We were traveling to PDX with my boy who was two at the time and we had our hands full with him...but across from us was a mom traveling solo with her own kids, a 2yo girl who was constantly losing her shit and a disinterested boy about 6 who was zero help.

Halfway through the flight the purser comes, takes the girl and walks her back to show her the galley and pick out a snack. The other FA takes the boy to the front, says on the PA ‘friends, here at SWA we don’t take tips but that doesn’t apply to *boys name* here who will be serving our snack and beverage service. The look of utter relief on the moms face while she got a 15m rest was indescribable. The little girl came back with a box of snacks, and the boy was beaming with ‘mom I made $11!’ I was sold and it was the first time I wrote Corporate to thank crew members by name.

In our most recent flight, going to PDX again, my own 1.5yo girl was absolutely not having it while my son (now 4) was pretty chill. Flying up they never batted an eye while I walked her up and down the aisle for over an hour as she just couldn’t sit still.

It was the flight back though I made sure to get the crew names because they saved me an aneurysm. Despite no turbulence or mention of trouble, the captain kept the seatbelt sign on the whole flight. Desperate, I walked my daughter back to the galley where she was amazed by the coffee pots. I apologized and told the crew I was in an awful position between a screaming child or violating the seatbelt sign.

Her reply was like ‘legally I’m required to tell you to take your seats...but I understand *wink*’. My daughter was infatuated with those ladies and stood there, transfixed, just jabbering away and showing her toys. They proceeded to humor her, show her how the galley worked and gave her one of those paper planes. It absolutely saved us and surrounding pax from two hours of hell. Naturally when I wrote Corporate I never mentioned the seatbelt sign but noted my daughter had made friends and is why we prefer SW (in addition to the best FF program, direct flights and family boarding).

I doubt those letters did much, but WN gets us there safely, mostly on time, with little BS and an onboard experience that makes my life a lot easier.

• Like 2

Here's a little Mozambique cargo run; all the lions are sedated for relocation. Note the lack of anything separating the cargo from the cockpit.
Loading+one+of+the+last+Boys+onto+the+Caravan.jpeg?format=500w
IMG_2789.jpg?format=750w

This guy brought a big video camera, just in case:
IMG_2881.jpg?format=500w

Just in case he needed to record his last moments on earth?

Chad Jr. and I checked out the USS Midway yesterday. I cannot recommend it highly enough, especially for those with kids. I’ve been to a lot of museum ships and this one was under down the best. Tons of helpful and friendly docents and they have an audio program for the adults and a separate one geared to kids. He was chasing all over that thing for their “Junior Pilot” program, which is a sort of knowledge scavenger hunt where they earn a prize at the end. Truly first rate.

Here are some plane pics. Would’ve been more but I had very little time to stop as JR. was off to the next thing about every five seconds:

E-2 cockpit. They have 8 cockpits for the kids to climb in:
3e0b733cc8b7f38c287df0a30c38bd06.jpg

Detail on F-4 centerline tank:
2de851080419e8cca168f8ad2b6d447d.jpg

Island:
082aa8b05c13fbed1500a9391ef062c3.heic

Flight deck:
f8b02699c8d066917601e9384940a6ec.heic

348a6a71d4c4fbb77bb4fb5c95752efa.jpg

• Like 1

8dfa74c59dea7a7fac8664ba9e64dfa9.jpg
^Aggressor F-18

F-4
8300f62d96eb18509a8fc797b9929eda.jpg

F9F-5
ea89eb47e0c7b127adda850ce0cb9da5.jpg

This gentleman was on the Bunker Hill when it was hit by kamikazes. He sat and answered all Jr.’s questions and there were a lot. Even had a little notebook full of photos to share. There were two WWII vet pilots there to chat with while we were there. We
missed the other fellow though.
6cc32b390c0f2b07259e16d750829df2.jpg

His mount:
8e7c955909cc8c638b0c970de9430af8.jpg

• Like 1

And here’s a Spirit of St. Louis replica hanging in the baggage claim:
9d06e9e273e28c2e4a4c7745a5aa5ef9.jpg

6008ff14b8730bd00d4d0db1aca13cb9.jpg

A few more from Osh:
My flying pics didn’t turn out so well as we were pretty far away from show center. Here’s the B-29 Doc that got restored to flying last year. It’s pristine.
2cadeb290fca2a28619d87ec79342eb2.jpg

5d2420ace580390b96cecd57373435d0.jpg

Part of the DH-4 rebuilt with an original Liberty engine by some enterprising guys in TN:
7e062036ee342055bff9717e500bfc31.jpg

• Like 2

twitter says Horizon Air gate agent stole a Q400. Dude isn't a pilot.  Radio says he's puked all over himself.  Being chased by F15s.  Now saying he crashed. 

Was off the grid last week and just started reading up on this. Unbelievable in so many ways.

Some ballsy MF’s strapping on those cloth and matchstick biplanes to shoot at each other with machine guns. 

No lie. I’ve been reading up on WWI aviation a fair bit the last few years. All those guys were essentially the “X-treme!!!“ sports types of their generation. True daredevils.

Pro tip: Crash straight down through roof so that the collapsing structure and debris fall into the building. Small planes are so lightly built that they won’t get far past the masonry and first set of structural studs. 

Btw, the Horizon incident above makes me wonder if a whole slew of suicide attempts are made by individuals deciding to go out doing something they’ve always wanted to. 

In my 5 years of flying I finally landed in B today. Passed thru B on houston and KC on the edges but never landed.

Went to Arlington for a meeting and those assholes send me way south because I was in a 172. Racists (or something). Came from txk and they vectored me around a bit.

When I requested entrance can i ask for a higher altitude? I was going west at 6500 because hot, and they dropped me to 3000 immediately. Love field I guess. Anyhow would I get laughed at for asking? 3000 feet in August sucks balls with no AC.