Nobel Prize Awarded to UT Alum...

Eddyline

...and current chair of immunology department at MD Anderson. Outstanding accomplishment!

"What starts here changes the world."

http:// https://news.utexas.edu/2018/10/01/ut-austin-alum-james-allison-awarded-nobel-prize?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=UTAustinSocial

Edited by Eddyline
  • Like 1

I remember reading about him years ago. He is an absolute badass and I believe his impact on cancer treatment will be felt globally for years to come. My mom might still be alive (she died in 2009) if he would have just worked faster! That release in 2011 might have done the trick. She had a rare form of melanoma that MD Anderson was very interested in treating. But, it was too much too fast.

She also though Applewhite should start.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well deserved.  I was at the Texas Exes Distinguished Alum award deal the year he won.  Watching his video, reading about him, hearing him talk... you knew it was a strong possibility that he would be winning the Nobel.  

What starts here changes the world.

On 10/1/2018 at 4:48 PM, Doc Reeves said:

The thing I loved about UT was being able to go at anytime to talk to some big time people in practically any industry. I always went to office hours and even went to office hrs of classes I didn’t have. 

I had a class with Dr James Bill during the Iranian hostage crisis.

I also met Dr. John Wheeler during freshman orientation and spent a fascinating afternoon with Dr. Linda Schele in the late '80s.

You are absolutely right about the quoted sentiment.

• 3 weeks later...

This article certainly seems to back that up. Kind of long but the guy is borderline curing cancer and the article goes into great detail. Sounds like a true Texas Longhorn. Indeed what starts here changes the world.

https://www.wired.com/story/meet-jim-allison-the-texan-who-just-won-a-nobel-cancer-breakthrough/

Jim Allison returned home to Texas, where he works with his wife and fellow prize-winning cancer immunotherapist Padmanee Sharma at MD Anderson in Houston. His work continues to travel the world, and change it. Allison still plays blues harp—he considered backing Willie Nelson on stage a few years ago to have been a lifetime highlight, before he found out about the Nobel—and he regularly hears from former cancer patients whose lives were changed or saved by his work. He sees them in the halls and on planes; they are everywhere. Not only because they now number in the hundreds of thousands, but because they are us.

And, his wife says, Jim cries, every damn time.

• Like 1