Great songs by Austin artists

jimmyjazz

Austin music -- let's hear it.  Not Dallas, not Houston, not San Antonio.  Not San Marcos, 'cause I don't want to hear Blue October.

There's a near infinite well to draw from.  I'll start with one of the catchiest (minor) American hits of the last 20 years.  It should have sold a whole lot more:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

San Antonio.

Yeah, but he did do a reasonable stint in Austin.  Kinda like saying Willie is from Abbott.  It's true, but...

Like this guy.  He's not from Austin, but I went to see him every Sunday at the Continental for a long time.  

What says the gallery?

• Like 2

Now, that brings about the question of one of the biggest hits ever written in Austin . . . but it wasn't written by an Austinite:

"Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffett

What I didn't know until I just googled it was that it was inspired by a margarita at Lung's Cocina del Sur restaurant on Anderson Lane.  That HAS to be a relative of Joe Lung, longtime Austin restaurateur who passed away just this year.  I worked with his wife for years.  Never put the connection together with "Margaritaville".

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Now, that brings about the question of one of the biggest hits ever written in Austin . . . but it wasn't written by an Austinite:

"Margaritaville" by Jimmy Buffett

What I didn't know until I just googled it was that it was inspired by a margarita at Lung's Cocina del Sur restaurant on Anderson Lane.  That HAS to be a relative of Joe Lung, longtime Austin restaurateur who passed away just this year.  I worked with his wife for years.  Never put the connection together with "Margaritaville".

I did not know that...I'm having lunch with Diane in a couple of weeks.

7 minutes ago, Rollo Tomassi said:

I did not know that...I'm having lunch with Diane in a couple of weeks.

I dug a little deeper . . . I believe the patriarch of the family was her husband's paternal grandfather (also "Joe").  He was the one who started the restaurant boom in the family.

There are multiple OLD Austin names in that family tree:  Lung, Dismuke, Freytag.

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I dug a little deeper . . . I believe the patriarch of the family was her husband's paternal grandfather (also "Joe").  He was the one who started the restaurant boom in the family.

There are multiple OLD Austin names in that family tree:  Lung, Dismuke, Freytag.

you should join us, Jimmy.  The whole gang is going to be there.  Nov. 16th.

On 10/24/2018 at 4:33 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Pretty sure Bob Mould was living in Hyde Park when this came out:

Sold Bob the blank 2 inch master reels (3M 996...?...) for File Under Easy Listening working at Pro Tape. I think he could tell I was dorking out half way thru the transaction and was genuinely gracious and patient. 

• Like 2