2019 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Bash Riprock

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Well actually A&M's is worse, but they always play a weak noncon.

Fordham (3 games)

Illinois-Chicago (3 games)

Minute Maid (Baylor, TCU, Houston)

Gonzaga (3 games)

Well they have to come here on April 2nd. That makes up for the Fordham nine blocks of granite.

Baylor has to have one of the worst noncon schedules I've ever seen. 

Holy Cross (4 games)
Cornell (3 games)
Minute Maid Games (A&M, Rice, Tx St)
 @ Nebraska (3 games)
Cal Poly (3 games)
There are a couple midweek games against DBU and SHSU, but overall that's terrible for team starting the year at #15.

Son of a Bitch. I might have to watch the Big Red do battle against the Rapists. One win would be awesome.

I bet I’m the only poster on Surly that has been to a Cornell home baseball game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saturday (2/16):

Texas Tech 12

Oregon 11

South Carolina Upstate 4

Kansas 3 (DH)

South Carolina Upstate 6

Kansas 4 (DH)

Oklahoma 9

Cal Poly 3

Texas 6

UL-Lafayette 5

Baylor 8

Holy Cross 5

UTRGV 5

Oklahoma State 2

West Virginia 8

Georgia State 2

Georgia Tech 5

West Virginia 4

TCU 9

Virginia 4

CSUN 10

Kansas State 8 (DH)

Kansas State 6

CSUN 5 (DH)

On 2/15/2019 at 4:16 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Baylor has to have one of the worst noncon schedules I've ever seen. 

Holy Cross (4 games)

Cornell (3 games)

Minute Maid Games (A&M, Rice, Tx St)

Nebraska (3 games)

Cal Poly (3 games)

There are a couple midweek games against DBU and SHSU, but overall that's terrible for team starting the year at #15.

If you want a good laugh, check out UGA's non conference schedule:

https://georgiadogs.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=2466

Because he had a fucking badass weekend? They’re not awarding team of the week. 

Groshans reached base seven times in 13 plate appearances, including four hits and three walks during the Jayhawks’ season-opening series at USC Upstate. Groshans finished with a league-best three homers and six RBI, while batting .400 (4-for-10) on the weekend.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Because he had a fucking badass weekend? They’re not awarding team of the week. 

Groshans was a Texas commit but either offer was withdrawn or he chose to not sign with present staff.    Previous staff was also targeting his younger brother,  Jordan,  a SS who went in the 1st round to the 'Jays. 

• Like 2

D1 Baseball Weekly Chat B12 info.    D1's format lists the answer before the question.   Link has complete chat.   Only week 1,  but TCU makes a statement beating Vandy, Virginia, and losing to Fullerton 2-0.

Kendall Rogers: Bob — I touched on this a bit ago in my piece on the Pac 12. But I do think Oregon’s offense really piqued my interest. The Ducks pelted Tech’s pitching throughout the weekend. As for the Red Raiders, they ended up having to use a few guys out of the pen I had to look at the roster to figure out who they were, so things got a little tense for those guys. I’ll wait another week and see how the pitching performs before I draw too many conclusions, but the weekend was a plus for Oregon and a little hmm for Tech.

Bob: What’s your take on the TT/Oregon series.  Is it possible that the Ducks have some offense this year, or do the Red Raiders have some pitching issues?

Kendall Rogers: Stats should be updated today. RPI will start showing in early March..

Bob: I loved your stats table last year.  When will we expect to see stats showing this year?  Also, when are the first RPI numbers available?

Kendall Rogers: Jason — Brandon Williamson was really good for TCU. He had good feel for the breaking ball and the fastball was consistently 89-92 mph. I was really impressed with him. The stuff didn’t blow me away, but he simply got the job done. I’m not remotely sold on Vandy’s pitching staff, though. Those guys need to step up. There’s entirely too much talent out there to scuffle the way they did at times.

Jason: So Vanderbilts offensive production was solid in the 1st 2 games at MLB4 Elite this weekend. What do you think the issue was Sunday against TCU?

Kendall Rogers: Cowtown — Absolutely. I thought Janczak and Williamson were really good, and Eissler was special out of the pen. I really liked Porter Brown, Austin Henry and Jake Guenther at the plate, and clearly, Josh Watson having a big year would be huge for this team. I don’t want to go overboard from one weekend, but the MLB4 tourney made me optimistic about these guys.

Cowtown Bill: So TCU looked good obviously, but besides the starting pitching and the new bats, I was encouraged by the rest of the pitching staff. Still early, but do you think this can be an Omaha club?

Kendall Rogers: ATX — I was really impressed with what Texas did over the weekend. Obviously Blair Henley remains a question mark, and that was something we had questions about coming into the season. But how about RHP Bryce Elder? He was dominant on Opening Day with a FB 89-92 and up to 93, with excellent feel for the breaking ball. David Pierce saw something in Elder and it looks like he was right on. Not shocking. Pierce is a wizard.

ATXDude: Early thought on Texas after taking 2/3 from Louisiana on the road?

Kendall Rogers Retweeted

INJURY NEWS ⚠️@BaylorBaseball catcher Shea Langeliers, the No. 3 college prospect in the country, will miss a few weeks after suffering a broken hamate bone. #Baylor hopes to have Langeliers back by conference play. #MLBDraft

https://d1baseball.com/chats/d1baseball-chat-feb-18/

Even though this isn't Big 12 related I'm going to put it here since no one is using the NCAA baseball thread. Florida lost to USF 6-1 on Tuesday in which they were 2 hit and lost on Wednesday to North Florida 7-1... Not saying the sky is falling for the Gators but that ain't good.

Friday-Sunday (2/22-2/24):

Kentucky @ Texas Tech

Grand Canyon @ TCU

Cornell @ Baylor

Purdue @ Texas

Wright State @ Oklahoma State

West Virginia @ Georgia Southern

Texas Southern @ Kansas (moved to neutral site)

Tony Gwynn Legacy:

Oklahoma (vs San Diego, vs San Diego State, vs Cal State Fullerton)

Kansas State (vs Fresno State, vs Utah, vs San Diego State)

Saturday (2/23):

Texas Tech 10

Kentucky 7

TCU 17

Grand Canyon 9

Baylor 10

Cornell 3

Texas 13

Purdue 6 (DH)

Purdue 4

Texas 0 (DH)

Oklahoma State 17

Wright State 5

West Virginia 3

Georgia Southern 1 (DH)

Georgia Southern 1

West Virginia 0 (DH)

Kansas 19

Texas Southern 13 (DH)

Texas Southern 8 

Kansas 3 (DH)

Oklahoma 1

San Diego State 0

Kansas State 6

Utah 4

• Like 1

B12 notes from D1 Baseball Chat and sidebar of Texas' future opponents.

Kendall Rogers: PD — I’ve been encouraged by TCU’s performance the past two weeks. The Frogs are clearly much better offensively and the rotation will be strong with Lodolo-Janczak-Williamson. The one, maybe, concern I have right now is not having Caleb Sloan and Russell Smith in the bullpen. TCU will need to avoid further injuries or that will become an issue. But so far so good.

PD: After a couple of weeks, I’m pleasantly surprised by my Horned Frogs.  We seem a lot deeper and versatile in the lineup and much better defensively.  Pitching has been up and down, but once Janzcak gets into the flow of things I really think this team could make another Omaha run.  Too soon?

Kendall Rogers: JK — I was impressed with the sweep for Sam Houston State, but I also thought the Bearkats were going to be pretty good this season. SHSU has a really deep staff and I think what stood out to me is they get in trouble with the starter on Saturday and are able to turn it over to a quality arm like Matt Dillard. SHSU has a chance to make a big, big splash this weekend.

jkolek: What are your takeaways from the Sam Houston State sweep of Louisiana?

Kendall Rogers: TD — I think it will be a solid series, but I like LSU two out of three. I think I trust LSU’s bullpen and offense a bit more right now, though, I still have major reservations about Zack Hess as the Friday night starter. This is a big weekend for him, IMO.

TD: LSU on the road to Texas this upcoming weekend for a stiff test with the Longhorns. How do you see it playing out?

Kendall Rogers: Brandon — I think Tech has plenty of quality depth, the key is getting consistent outings. I thought Mason Montgomery was solid over the weekend, allowing just two runs in five innings. I think Tadlock will continue to tinker with things until he finds the right formula. My money is on Tech finding that formula. But in the meantime, it’s impressive that when the pitching isn’t the greatest, the Raiders have an offense that can mask those issues for now. Love their club.

Brandon: Early season thoughts on TT’s pitching depth?

Aaron Fitt: I’ll be there. Most excited to see Texas Tech (since I just saw MSU). That offense looked scary this weekend. And Sam Houston has a lot of good arms, looking forward to seeing that pitching staff. And can Nebraska bounce back from a rough weekend? Lots of neat things to watch in that tourney.

KD: Who is going to be covering the Frisco Classic this weekend and what are you most looking forward to out of those 4 teams?

Kendall Rogers: Bryce — We had Texas as a team in the 20-25 range in the preseason with Hamilton, so without Hamilton, I actually thought they might struggle a little more than they have. The big key for Texas right now is the rise of RHP Bryce Elder. I was surprised when Elder was starting on Friday opening weekend, but he’s lived up to the offseason billing. He was up to 93-94 mph with his FB and showed excellent feel for the breaking ball the past couple of weeks. The Longhorns have also done enough offensively to win games. The ultimate test is this weekend against LSU, but so far so good. David Pierce and his staff are doing a solid job.

Bryce Lee: Impressed by the Longhorns early. With David Hamilton healthy, what could Texas potentially do this season? & now obviously without, where do you guys see them?

Aaron Fitt: I have zero long-term concern about Stanford’s offense; really like the personnel there. Deep, athletic, physical lineup. And they showed some flashes of explosiveness last week in Arizona — I saw them beat up on Grand Canyon pretty good last Monday. I’m in on Stanford’s offense.

Ted : Stanford has gotten off to a solid start, but their hitting isn’t exactly on fire. Short-term statistical blip, or something of concern?

Kendall Rogers: Devin — I’ve been encouraged by Arkansas’ start. If you look back at last season, USC gave the Hogs all they could handle in Fayetteville, and I know the Trojans have had this series circle for a long, long time. Still, the Hogs performed at a high level and took the series on the road. I would still like to see Isaiah Campbell perform at a higher level. That is absolutely crucial as SEC play nears.

Devin: How do you feel Arkansas has looked so far in the early season?

Kendall Rogers: Anon — Going back to Aaron’s question about the best pitching staffs in the league, A&M night have the top one-two punch in John Doxakis and Asa Lacy. Both have put up insane early numbers (albeit against junk competition), but the stuff has been crisp, too, with Lacy bumping 95-96 over the weekend. With that said, A&M is in a world of trouble offensively, hitting just .234 against sub-par competition. That must change starting this week at the Shriners tournament or it could be a long season at the plate. But the Aggies certainly have the arms to do big things.

Anonymous : What do you think about Texas A&M

https://d1baseball.com/chats/top-25-chat-feb-25/

IMO this team is better than people nationally are giving us credit for (I know they can't watch every single game). Kennedy and Zubia's batting averages don't reflect how hard they have hit the ball yet simply can't get much to fall. Bryce Elder is going to be a mainstay for this year and next. Cole Quintinilla should be starting this coming weekend against LSU but I doubt he will, this team instantly becomes better once they move Cole into the weekend rotation. The Sunday starter is gravy at this point, Cobb, Whelan, Madden, and Bocchi have all shown the ability to perform. Donny Diaz, Mason Bryant, Kam Fields, Brandon Ivey, Bocchi, and Whelan is a more than solid pen. You can add Ridgeway to that group is he continues to get better

I am actually shocked at the lack of respect this program is getting simply because we lost Kody Clemens and two above average starters in Shugart and Kingham. Sawyer, McGuire, and Parker Joe were all great last year but teams lose quality arms out of the pen every year.