Survivor: Edge of Extinction

Chuckie Finster

8 hours ago, WBT said:

And tonight showed why that was a terrible move by Wardog to vote out Kelley.  It shifted the target directly onto him.  He needed to let her ride as a shield until someone else made the move to take her out.

Yep.  If he were more of a threat in challenges, or had an idol or other advantage to protect himself, it would not have been such a bad play.  Maybe he was thinking he could hide behind Devens.  Oops.

When does Extinction Island come back into play?  It will obviously be rigged so that the player who makes it back in the game has a resume to contend, otherwise, what's the point?  I guess it's an interesting alternative to littering areas around the main camp with idols to keep certain people from being eliminated, though that may be more of a consequence of idols not being played.  Are those who don't make it back in still allowed to quit, or are they obligated to serve on the jury at that point?  I assume they would at least get to move to Ponderosa.

I still don't know who I want to win this thing.  I know that I don't want anyone who has been to Extinction Island winning, just on principle.  That leaves Ron, Gavin, Lauren, Victoria, Aurora, and Julie.  Woof. 

Ron has done the most to play the game, and has recovered nicely from the failure of his majority alliance strategy.  He is probably the most deserving, but I just don't find him likeable.

Gavin has made some minor moves when needed, but has not been able to really control anything.

Victoria seemed into the game early on, but has completely disappeared.  She appears to have shifted to "under the radar," which I don't think is a winning strategy in modern Survivor.  She seems like a strategic thinker, but hasn't made an effort to control her fate.

Julie appears to want to play, but no one seems to value her input or her vote.  As a result, she's often on the wrong side of the vote, and has nothing she can point to as a reason why she should win.  I can see her as someone to take to the final, but the same could be said about anyone not named "Ron."

Lauren looks nice on camera, and has an idol.

I'm still trying to understand why Aurora is such a target.  I get that she is really good at challenges, but no one seems to like her or respect her game, so how is she a threat?  It seems personal for some reason that hasn't really been shown.  I don't know what game she is playing, and I doubt she does either, but I'm sort of pulling for her for reasons I can't explain.    

Edited by idigTexas

15 hours ago, WBT said:

And tonight showed why that was a terrible move by Wardog to vote out Kelley.  It shifted the target directly onto him.  He needed to let her ride as a shield until someone else made the move to take her out.

100% this. 

He gave up a sure fire route to the final 5 by trying to make a big move way too early like we said last week. Just stupid and didn't need to be done. Ron and Devens are both living on borrowed time. 

And kelley got just as much air time this week as she did prior to be voting out. That leads me to believe she's the one that wins the chance to get back in the game. 

sounds like we are all in agreement that Kelly made way too much of a spectacle of herself.  she managed to make tribal all about her, and she's basically not even playing any more.  on extinction island she's all sad and mopey but back in the game she shines like a celebrity.  I hope she's not the one that makes it back in.  and rheem?  sonofabitch is there a more negative worthless player in the history of the game?  why is she even still hanging on?  all the others there are worthy of getting back in. 

back to the real game, if the girls somehow manage to vote on ron and devens, then they'd be left with aurora, victoria, julie, and lauren. that would be super interesting.  every season there's been a star, with two cling ons going to final.  very little suspense.  clearcut who has played the hardest.  of those 4?  they've all been cling ons.  none of them have stood out or been a leader, so it would be cool to see how that would shake out. 

On 4/28/2019 at 2:33 PM, EastTexan said:

Isn't the next show "Loved Ones"? Has always been cringe worthy for me. Editors dedicate too much time to this. Useless.

It's a "pull at your heartstrings" moment that they do spend to much damn time on but also gave us hand's down one of the most memorable moments of the entire series when Johnny Fairplay said his grandmother died. Classic. 

• Like 1

Well that was one of the best tribals evar.  I know it's a game and there's a huge gray area as far as what is "acceptable" and what isn't.  That being said, I don't particularly care for stuff like handing someone a fake idol.  Just seems b.s. to me.  I guess in a vacuum, it may not be that big a deal; however, if players were constantly doing as much, it would take away from, what's left of, the strategy.

11 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Well that was one of the best tribals evar.  I know it's a game and there's a huge gray area as far as what is "acceptable" and what isn't.  That being said, I don't particularly care for stuff like handing someone a fake idol.  Just seems b.s. to me.  I guess in a vacuum, it may not be that big a deal; however, if players were constantly doing as much, it would take away from, what's left of, the strategy.

The game has evolved, and is improved in my opinion, when this is allowed.  This is not the same game it was in the first dozen or so seasons.  It wouldn’t still be on television and a Top 10 show if it was the same game.  The fake idols, advantages, etc give another element that the contestants need to be aware of, and it creates a new level of strategy that can destroy (or solidify) alliances.

Yep.  I'm not a Devens fan, but am even less of a Ron fan, and love it when smug "I'm controlling the game" asshats find out that they aren't.  He already learned that lesson once this season, but was unfortunately not eliminated for it. 

Without  knowing who is going to return from Exile Island, Devens has to be the favorite to win at this point.  I would never vote for someone who has been eliminated, but I doubt the other players share my opinion.

Victoria is playing a dangerous game where she likes to initiate or go along with a blindside, but then votes with the other side to cover her ass if it doesn't happen.  Wheelhouse aside, I don't like that game play at all. 

I'm glad to see that Lauren is at least thinking about doing more than trying to win challenges.  It's about time, but unless she steps it up, it will be too  little too late.

Julie?  I'm looking for some reason to appreciate her game, but...meh.  I can see her being taken to the final three as a "person who can't possible win."

Gavin is playing, and playing well.  If he had more personality, I'd like his chances more.  It shouldn't matter, but it's a social game, and it makes a difference. 

I don't know what it is, but I find myself still pulling for Aurora.  I don't always understand her strategy, or more accurately I don't always think she has one, but she certainly owns her game, and isn't trying to win by making friends.  I can at least respect that. 

The fake idol is fine when there’s some strategy behind it. The last two seasons, it’s been done by Angelina and now Ron for no reason except to show off and make someone look stupid. I was disappointed last season when Allison (?) let Angelina get away with it, but Devins made up for it. I loved seeing him shame Ron like that.
Devens is awesome. Definitely my favorite player this season.

1st lesson in Survivor 101- When you think you are controlling the game and get too over confident- you probably will be getting voted out sooner rather than later. 

Best shot to win as of right now (not including whoever comes back)-

1. Gavin

2. Lauren

3. Victoria

4. Devins

5. Aurora

6. Julie

Gavin doesn't have the best personality but he has been behind the biggest moves of the game. He has made the correct decisions to flip the votes at the right time and has the resume that is needed to win. I also think he is well liked by those that have already been voted out. 

6 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

1st lesson in Survivor 101- When you think you are controlling the game and get too over confident- you probably will be getting voted out sooner rather than later. 

Best shot to win as of right now (not including whoever comes back)-

1. Gavin

2. Lauren

3. Victoria

4. Devins

5. Aurora

6. Julie

Gavin doesn't have the best personality but he has been behind the biggest moves of the game. He has made the correct decisions to flip the votes at the right time and has the resume that is needed to win. I also think he is well liked by those that have already been voted out. 

I think you are undervaluing Devens.  He has a lot of fans on the jury.  There is a big gap between the men and women, and the latter could be in any order, though I think you have Julie in the right spot. 

16 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I think you are undervaluing Devens.  He has a lot of fans on the jury.  There is a big gap between the men and women, and the latter could be in any order, though I think you have Julie in the right spot. 

No doubt the only reason why I have him listed 4th is he should be the #1 target to go for every tribal moving forward so the 1st time he doesn't win immunity he should be gone. That is of course unless from the looks of it they have another idol in play.

That's another nit pick I have with the producers. At some point you have to let the players play the game when it gets down to the final 6 or 5 you need to let the game happen and not continue to give people shots to save themselves. Sure if they have an idol from before great but at some point enough is enough. 

10 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

No doubt the only reason why I have him listed 4th is he should be the #1 target to go for every tribal moving forward so the 1st time he doesn't win immunity he should be gone. That is of course unless from the looks of it they have another idol in play.

That's another nit pick I have with the producers. At some point you have to let the players play the game when it gets down to the final 6 or 5 you need to let the game happen and not continue to give people shots to save themselves. Sure if they have an idol from before great but at some point enough is enough. 

That's a good point.

Man, Lauren is coming up hot down the stretch. Still has her immunity idol, too! Hopefully she uses it correctly.

Devens has literally not voted with the majority on a single vote since the merge, and possibly, since the beginning. He's fun television, he's well-liked, and he's had nine lives -- but I don't see how he has the voting resume to justify a win. Tori, on the other hand, has voted with the majority on EVERY vote. She's a silent assassin, can lie stone cold to your face, and is still likeable in the process. I think she and Gavin are the the two most deserving people of winning, but yeah... if Devens keeps surviving somehow, it'll be hard to vote against him.

Julie's the goat, and Aurora has lost the only advantage she had. She's played a fearless game, but the only final three I can see her in would be Lauren or Tori (depending on who strikes first), Aurora, Julie. 

The stats differ slightly form your summary (Rick has twice voted with the majority since the merge), but I don't think it really changes anything.  This is the number of times the remaining 6 have been to tribal, voted for the person eliminated, and voted for the person eliminated since the merge.  I only counted the first vote for the week Lauren and Wendy split the votes and Wendy was ousted with the re-vote. 

Also, note that this is votes cast for the person eliminated, not necessarily a majority vote.  Last week, for example, the majority voted for Rick, but Ron was eliminated.  That is the only time that the majority vote winner did not get eliminated, so it isn't a huge factor. 

Tribals    Elim    Merge
Aurora             7            4           4
Gavin             10            7           6
Julie                7             4           4
Lauren           12            9           5
Rick                11           5            2
Victoria          10           7            6

My assessment of Victoria's game play is considerably different, but that's okay.  She is at least playing, and has indeed voted to send a lot of people home.  I would not be upset if she ended up winning.  The only two that I would not want to see win would be Julie and Rick.  Julie because she has not done enough to control her own fate, and Rick because he has been eliminated.  I also would not be pleased to see the other person who returns from exile win.

Edited by idigTexas

29 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

My assessment of Victoria's game play is considerably different, but that's okay.  She is at least playing, and has indeed voted to send a lot of people home.  I would not be upset if she ended up winning.  The only two that I would not want to see win would be Julie and Rick.  Julie because she has not done enough to control her own fate, and Rick because he has been eliminated.  I also would not be pleased to see the other person who returns from exile win.

If I had to vote and they are in the final 3 I would vote for Gavin or Lauren. As I said above Gavin has been a part of if not behind the biggest moves of the season. And Lauren has played a great social game when she should have been the next logical person to get voted out for the last several weeks. 

1 minute ago, JimmyHoffa said:

If I had to vote and they are in the final 3 I would vote for Gavin or Lauren. As I said above Gavin has been a part of if not behind the biggest moves of the season. And Lauren has played a great social game when she should have been the next logical person to get voted out for the last several weeks. 

I think Gavin has been playing very well, and would be fine with him winning.  I'm still pulling for Aurora because I like an underdog, and no one seems to like her.

On 4/23/2019 at 8:38 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

It was Season 4 Episode 8.  In my mind, it was a much bigger deal/shock.  Perhaps because it was one of the first true blindsides.  When I rewatched it this evening, it wasn't much different than most modern tribals.  I suppose the first handful of seasons were less produced and dramatized.

Just got to it and was about to report back and say this was DEFINITELY the one you were talking about (before seeing you already named the same episode lol). Yeah, this guy (John) was insufferable. About as cocky about his control as Ron is this season. Another interesting note about this season is Boston Rob gets eliminated right before this episode, but was definitely the architect of the blindside. He's the one who put the doubt into the flipper's head. God he's so great.

• Like 1

I’m watching season 1 Borneo and it’s crazy how the game has evolved. No idols or advantages. Nobody played very hard. An alliance was considered dirty play. 1 guy actually chose his TC vote based on alphabetical order. Hatch was the only one who got it and guess what, he won.

15 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

I’m watching season 1 Borneo and it’s crazy how the game has evolved. No idols or advantages. Nobody played very hard. An alliance was considered dirty play. 1 guy actually chose his TC vote based on alphabetical order. Hatch was the only one who got it and guess what, he won.

Like I said earlier in this thread Sue's finale "rat and snake" rant wouldn't even be viewed as out of the norm if it happened now. It was just a completely different game the first few seasons. 

That was, uh, badass.  The beauty of his play was that he thought about the long game by stating that he and Julie would be voting for one of the other four.  That meant that Victoria, Gaven, and Lauren really had no choice but to vote Aurora.  (3 Gaven, Lauren, Vic to 2 for whoever Devins/Julie voted for to Aurora's one vote for Julie).  This scenario occurred a couple of seasons ago, but the one (I forgot who) that tried to pull it off made the mistake of saying who he/she was voting for.

7 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Who’s the poster who isn’t team Devins just because he earned his way back into the game? Show yourself! And explain yourself too. I don’t get it.

That would be me.  Regardless of how entertaining he is, or how good his game play has been since his return, the fact remains that Devens has already been voted out.  In any other season, he would have been done.  He clearly is working harder than the others, and he is certainly enjoying himself, so good for him.  It is obvious that the production team wants him to win, so I fully expect it to happen.  That doesn't mean I have to like it. 

I recognize that the game has had to evolve to keep an audience, but in most cases, I've never been a fan of allowing eliminated contestants a chance to return.  You lost already, get the fuck out.

My main problem with the returning loser format is that it is unfair to those who get eliminated late, and thus don't get a second chance.  Devens and the survivor returning next week have to be eliminated twice, wile the people who get voted out after that only get one shot.  How is that fair?

It's like having a double elimination tournament, where the winner and the loser both end up with one loss, because television decided the "if necessary" game wasn't necessary.  Any Longhorn baseball fans in the house? 

Also, I was enjoying the sparseness of idols this season, but that seems to have ended.  They should just go ahead and change the name of the show to "Idol Hunters." 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

That would be me.  Regardless of how entertaining he is, or how good his game play has been since his return, the fact remains that Devens has already been voted out.  In any other season, he would have been done.  He clearly is working harder than the others, and he is certainly enjoying himself, so good for him.  It is obvious that the production team wants him to win, so I fully expect it to happen.  That doesn't mean I have to like it. 

I recognize that the game has had to evolve to keep an audience, but in most cases, I've never been a fan of allowing eliminated contestants a chance to return.  You lost already, get the fuck out.

My main problem with the returning loser format is that it is unfair to those who get eliminated late, and thus don't get a second chance.  Devens and the survivor returning next week have to be eliminated twice, wile the people who get voted out after that only get one shot.  How is that fair?

It's like having a double elimination tournament, where the winner and the loser both end up with one loss, because television decided the "if necessary" game wasn't necessary.  Any Longhorn baseball fans in the house? 

Also, I was enjoying the sparseness of idols this season, but that seems to have ended.  They should just go ahead and change the name of the show to "Idol Hunters." 

This is exactly where I am at as well. Devens is entertaining but that is the story we are being told by producers. I think a lot of people forget about that. They change the game again and look here the guy that game back in the game is finding idols left and right. It's the perfect story for producers to cling onto and sell to viewers. 

As for the idols I have said this before and will say it again at some point they need to let the players actually play the game otherwise what the hell is the point??? 

Yes, it's good TV to show Devens looking and finding the idol but to me it just seems overkill. Make them earn the individual immunity (like he did by the way) to save themselves.

I am not as hard line on Devens winning, he has been back in the game for a long time and done what he has needed to do to survive. It would be even worse if one of the people sent home the first couple of weeks comes back in the game next week and makes the final after sitting on their ass for almost the entire season but I'm guessing by the edit that isn't happening. 

I also assume the next vote will be the last time to use an idol. (or I sure as hell hope it is) which makes Devens and Lauren safe. 

At this point I think it's Devens, Lauren, and Gavin that make the final 3.

As for Devens being a top 3 player All time? Not a chance. He was AWFUL before he got voted out the first time and on the wrong side of far too many blindsides that very easily could have been him not the stronger player that went home. Sure you need a little luck to win but Devens wouldn't crack my top 20 players all time. 

I think he meant top 3 all-time favorite.  I don't think any of the people on his list ever won, so I think that's a safe assumption.  I wish the people on the Eof E were doing some kind of competitions and eliminating players each week.  Last one standing gets back in the game.