Survivor: Edge of Extinction

Chuckie Finster

Who knows if they could have won their way back on?  Both of them had a shot at this one and their ball fell off at the very top.  Fuck those two, but especially Wendy.  Keith was 2nd one out so he's been out there a while.  She was on E of E for, I believe she said, long enough to take a nap and then she was back out there doing that comp.   Good riddance to her.  They better not reward that terrible play by ever inviting her back.  She's was kind of interesting to watch and kind of oddly cute in a weird way, but they don't need someone like her that won't even attempt to play the game.  

So, rather than having to sweat out every single tribal council for the next 20 days, Joe is potentially two or three challenge wins away (depending on when they can get back in) from sitting at final tribal with a jury comprised of players he’s been chilling with for 3 weeks outside the stresses of the game? Seems like a pretty sweet deal.

Is the extinction island living that much more terrible than the main camp? It might be more monotonous due to the fact that you’re not mentally playing the game but you also don’t have to worry about burning calories in the comps. Listening to reem all day would be tough but you can also choose to walk 20 feet away.

Overall i give extinction island a C.  I like that they’re trying new things but not a fan.

7 hours ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So, rather than having to sweat out every single tribal council for the next 20 days, Joe is potentially two or three challenge wins away (depending on when they can get back in) from sitting at final tribal with a jury comprised of players he’s been chilling with for 3 weeks outside the stresses of the game? Seems like a pretty sweet deal.

I don't know about "sweet deal."  I think the best benefit is not having to compete in as many challenges, but it comes at the expense of padding your résumé.  Rick may have time to make his case before the end, but the others likely won't.  Even if Joe comes back, I don't see him doing enough to earn votes unless he is against coattail riders who also have done nothing.  Even those who may engineer a lot of votes prior to going to Extinction Island will have a tough sell.  You can't really defend having already been eliminated.  

I am notoriously anti-twist, but Extinction Island does make for some entertaining game scenarios. 

I'm not clear about some of the rules as they pertain to the jury.  Will all the current jurors disappear if they don't earn their way back into the game?  Is it different if they give up by choice?  It seems that the jury could potentially be much larger or much smaller than usual, or anywhere in between.            

50 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Interesting flip.

Am I the only one that gets the "nails on chalkboard" vibe when Audrey talks?  I can't pinpoint what it is, but she annoys the F out of me.

Redhead on the other hand...  

David's "speech" at tribal was pretty damn solid.

I knew the flip was happening when they spent so much time on weatherman talking to wardog and David about why they were screwed and he wasn't flipping. The look on his face at tribal was classic. 

Yes, Audrey is annoying. 

Nice camera work tonight on the challenges, plenty of perfect angles to see the "action". 

Game could be wide open from here on out. Will be interesting to see how it plays out. 

• Like 1

I assume "Audrey" is Aubry?  I don't find her annoying, but different strokes for different folks. 

I enjoyed that episode quite a bit.  Devens playing bitter is not going to turn out well if he can't learn to control that shit.  It was great seeing him on the wrong side of the vote.  I'm very impressed that Wentworth and Lauren have both been able to hold on to their idols.  How many cameras are at tribal council?  Can a player tell who has an idol by seeing who the camera is watching when Jeff asks if anyone wants to play one?

Joe looked defeated.  Unless the edits are being purposely misleading, I think he's done. 

They did not show Aurora using her extra vote, so I assume that she still has it.  Lauren and Wentworth still have idols.  David and Devens have an idol between them, but it is worthless if neither is willing to give up their half.  Something tells me that David is going to end up with it.   I wonder if the second returnee will get the same advantage and if so, if the idol halves are mix and match?  Who else still has an advantage?     

I agree with the suck of Aubry. She's just got some weird superiority complex this time around that's hard to explain but it carries over to her camera time and it's really annoying.

Loved bitter Devens, hoping that the 2 part idol thing with him and David falls apart just for the entertainment factor.

Lulz at Ron's face at the end and Devens.

I'm surprised Gavin voted out Eric but it seems like a pretty solid move.

Wardog, despite throwing like a little bitch and sucking ass in every challenge, has a pretty good grasp of what's going on and it'll be interesting watching him moving forward. At least he's entertaining.

Also lulz at dumbass Julie(I think thats her name) Lauren passes out during the challenge, Victoria asks what happened-"Don't worry just keep going!" Aurora, in a partly desperate and partly kind of smart move tries to get her alliance to show their cards by throwing her the comp, Julie "I can't believe she's doing this right now!" lol fuck off. Stone cold Aurora.

I think it's just the 2 idols, the 2 part idol, and the double vote left. Surely the next returnee gets a different advantage but who knows

I didn't think about that but still find it hypocritical. Not surprising as a viewer since they focused on her not being able to eat rice so many times. Survivor figured out a long time ago that it doesn't do them any good to put the contestants' lives in actual danger but I can see how you wouldn't be focused on that while you're out there

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

She was a out for awhile.  Normally people wake up pretty quickly, but it looked like she didn't for at least a couple of minutes.

Could have been the magic of TV editing. It could have been 30-45 seconds but they made it look longer for TV purposes. 

35 minutes ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

I didn't think about that but still find it hypocritical. Not surprising as a viewer since they focused on her not being able to eat rice so many times. Survivor figured out a long time ago that it doesn't do them any good to put the contestants' lives in actual danger but I can see how you wouldn't be focused on that while you're out there

Agreed. I also thought it was pretty shitty they added in the blur to the camera on her to add to the moment. Like "hey, idiot TV viewers she can't see and that is why she fainted". No shit. 

2 hours ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

I'm surprised Gavin voted out Eric but it seems like a pretty solid move.

Wardog, despite throwing like a little bitch and sucking ass in every challenge, has a pretty good grasp of what's going on and it'll be interesting watching him moving forward. At least he's entertaining.

I agree about Gavin.  I pigged him as a coattailer, but since he has had very little air time, it's hard to know. 

Wardog is an interesting character.  His isn't a personality that I generally like, but he is smarter than he appears to be.  He definitely has a decent lay of the land, but I don't think he has the social game to do anything with it.  And his challenge ability expectation to reality ratio has to be one of the worst of all time.     

4 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

I agree about Gavin.  I pigged him as a coattailer, but since he has had very little air time, it's hard to know. 

Wardog is an interesting character.  His isn't a personality that I generally like, but he is smarter than he appears to be.  He definitely has a decent lay of the land, but I don't think he has the social game to do anything with it.  And his challenge ability expectation to reality ratio has to be one of the worst of all time.     

Wardog, understands the game but he is nothing more than a number for Wentworth, David, Lauren, etc. He will get cut when they no longer need him for the votes. 

8 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Wardog is completely tactless.  He understands how to play the game, but he can't convince anyone to do anything because he doesn't know how to talk to people.

Yeah he's a typical New York asshole. I kind of view Ron the same in a way. Like if you watch the way he went to David and Devens right after tribal, "You know that was YOUR tribe that wanted to vote you out, and believe me it was malicious!" Yeah it was so malicious he waited until after tribal to tell them. I knew right away that David wouldn't buy it that easily but didn't expect Devens to be so butthurt and show his cards so blatantly. And the way he wouldn't let go of the idea that making it to the loved ones visit was some grand prize that couldn't be topped-dude, everyone's here to win a million for themselves. Didn't work, obviously

Lauren's commentary of blacking out was good camerawork. 

I appreciate David calling out the lame goal of making it to the family visit. Obviously that was a ploy to get that group together, but if you absolutely need to see your family, quit. It's fine to look forward to it, but don't claim it as some major goal. The die was cast by that point but the comment was so bad that Eric teed up the ball for David to hit.

On 4/4/2019 at 11:20 AM, kevwun said:

Wardog is completely tactless.  He understands how to play the game, but he can't convince anyone to do anything because he doesn't know how to talk to people.

He is a social idiot and find it hard to believe he is smart enough to be law school.  

22 minutes ago, Horn80 said:

He is a social idiot and find it hard to believe he is smart enough to be law school.  

I've actually been pretty impressed by his intelligence so far.  He dresses like an 80's breakdancer, but he seems to have a keen eye for strategy and a sense of what's going on around him.  Unlike Aubrey, who is probably plenty smart in her real job, but is clueless in this game.

That was one of the better episodes of the season, and it's been a pretty interesting season.  Strong players in the jury that can affect the game from there, as well as by coming back in.  Going to be interesting how devenz and gay dude save face and get back into good graces after being on the wrong side of the last vote.

I can understand why you have that opinion of Aubrey this go round, as she did completely misread the situation that sent her to Extinction Island, but calling her clueless in the game seems overly harsh.  She was runner up in Season 32, and just missed final tribal in Game Changers. 

18 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

It seems wrong to refer to a guy who pretty well known outside the game as “the gay dude”.

it's not a slight, I just cant ever remember his name.  and how is it he's "well known outside the game"?  he seems to only be good at cheerleading.

7 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

it's not a slight, I just cant ever remember his name.  and how is it he's "well known outside the game"?  he seems to only be good at cheerleading.

http://www.ronclarkacademy.com

and

Image result for ron clark movie

I'm honestly shocked that his backstory hasn't been discussed more on the show.  He's a living legend in the teaching profession.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

I had no idea Ron is supposed to be famous, and I’ll need to go back and check those links to see just who the hell he is, beyond being an insufferable asshole in the game.

If we are to believe the editing, it was Wardog who convinced the two younger players to flip on Eric and Famous Ron, and apparently got it locked down so well that Wentworth and Lauren didn’t even feel threatened enough to play their idols.

On a side note, Lauren’s purple undies have been spot on this season.

9 hours ago, Horn80 said:

I don’t care if anyone is gay but remind me which guy is “the gay dude”?  

8 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

I just figured out who “they” were referring to this week. It’s Ron,the guy who thought he was the puppet master

Maybe y'alls gaydar doesn't work. I've read that Ron was on Oprah way back so I'm sure that's out there if you care to watch.

11 hours ago, Vito Andolini said:

I had no idea Ron is supposed to be famous, and I’ll need to go back and check those links to see just who the hell he is, beyond being an insufferable asshole in the game.

If we are to believe the editing, it was Wardog who convinced the two younger players to flip on Eric and Famous Ron, and apparently got it locked down so well that Wentworth and Lauren didn’t even feel threatened enough to play their idols.

On a side note, Lauren’s purple undies have been spot on this season.

they keep describing her as "college athlete".  what sport did she play?  she doesn't seem particularly athletic.  i'm guessing soccer?

On 4/5/2019 at 11:42 AM, idigTexas said:

Perhaps he wants a law degree so he can represent himself.

Had a guy in my class in law school getting his degree and license solely for the purpose of fighting to get his psychiatry license back.

Loved the negotiating that was going on while Lauren was still out-cold in the dirt.  Primarily because it was just so unnecessary on the part of Aurora.  Self-inflicted harm due to paranoia is Survivor at its best.

I actually like the live tribal.  It gives people at the bottom or outside alliances hope. 

Devens had big night, as did David.  Ron has turned into a giant pussy.  It's amazing what learning that you aren't in control does to your confidence.  Wentworth and Lauren, still amazingly have their idols.  I have no idea what game Aurora is playing, but she's getting close to "people you want next to you at final tribal" territory, which could end up being good for her if she can last another few weeks. 

I really hope Julie doesn't make it to the "loved ones" episode, but since she is no threat to win, she will.  I'll just have to fast forward though that part like I usually do.  

I have no idea who is going to win this thing, but it is going to be a fun ride.

that was a fantastic episode.  a great tribal as far as drama goes, but i'm not so sure i'm a fan of live tribals either.  it almost seems like it should be illegal to whisper or powwow at tribal.  i thought kama had two good options - breaking up the lesu two (david/devenz), or breaking up the lesu three (kelly/wardog/lauren).  instead they self-destructed.  that leaves aurora, julie, and ron free agents to join either group.  oh, and victoria.  forgot about her.  she's another free agent that can join any alliance.

Edited by thrillhammer

33 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

that was a fantastic episode.  a great tribal as far as drama goes, but i'm not so sure i'm a fan of live tribals either.  it almost seems like it should be illegal to whisper or powwow at tribal.  i thought kama had two good options - breaking up the lesu two (david/devenz), or breaking up the lesu three (kelly/wardog/lauren).  instead they self-destructed.  that leaves aurora, julie, and ron free agents to join either group.  oh, and victoria.  forgot about her.  she's another free agent that can join any alliance.

I could be wrong but I think it was forbidden or at least frowned upon for however many season until a few seasons ago. They allowed a whisper here or there the viewers seemed to like it and over the last couple of seasons it has gotten worse and now pretty much is allowed to be a free for all. It was fine for one episode but would get old if they did it over and over again. It also doesn't help that the producers are trying to tell a story and then all of a sudden allow a free for all to happen. But I guess it was probably the perfect storm with the number of players that were left and two groups trying to save themselves with a few in the middle.

I have enjoyed this season much more than I thought I would going in. 

11 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Way to run your mouth off the island, Julia.  

I wonder how long the producers let those guys talk it out during tribal.  

I am pretty sure I read somewhere that those tribals are anywhere from 45 min to 2 hours. I'm guessing last night's was of the 2 hour variety. 

Put me in the "Loves live tribal" camp.  I'm surprised some of you don't like it.  What's not to like?  People who come in overconfident are suddenly in danger.  People who thought they were in danger suddenly have some power.  All the whispering has the viewer so confused that we have no idea who the target is.  Good stuff.  

Ron's Eeyore act is hilarious.  Woe is Ron.

I don't think Julie is this crazy in the real world, but she does not seem like she's wired for this game.  

Why aren't any of these people talking about Victoria?!!  When a group of Lesu people were huddled on the right whispering, why the hell were they letting her lurk over their shoulder like she was part of their team?   She's my pick to win this thing because of stuff like that.    

Julie calling Rick a passenger and then Rick hopping in the driver's seat and driving her ass to E of E was great.  She went out like a sweetheart with her little speech, but she was a little mean during TC.   

Wardog seems to be smarter than he looks.  Maybe it's his accent or, but he seems kind of dumb.  But he has been on top of this game from the beginning.   

The Live Tribals can get out of hand, but I think it's great that some players can use it as an option to flip the game. The puppetmaster-type players must hate it because they spend all of this time at the camp trying to manipulate everyone in secret only to have to cross the landmine field at a live tribal.

In the past it seemed like some where afraid or unwilling to call out secret alliances at tribal. To be honest, many times it can be too late to change up the vote. But live tribals allow that.