u20 Men's World Cup - Poland

pacman

1 minute ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Soto has to score there fuck.

Exhibit A for why you have to train with both feet. 

Ive got an 8 year-old soccer fan who hates practicing with his left foot,?but Weah’s goal and Soto’s miss are all you need to watch to understand the importance of practicing with your weaker foot. 

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

if this is first you've watched this tournament we get faster in transition as game goes on

It’s not that USA is bad in transition, it’s that during the first goal the right back was defending TERRIBLY even  when he and everyone else was in position. 

The biggest failing I see is that we still try to take a 2nd touch in every situation.

2nd problem is we try to crash through 4 opponents when we clearly don't have the skill on the ball to do so.

3rd problem is CP, McKennie and Adams should be here and not in the Gold Cup.  Those 3 would have made a huge difference.  We win today for sure.

Sunil and Earnie took their orders and split the squads.

And now we all we play for is to "win" the Gold Cup which has far more downside than up.

It may be difficult to believe, but...

Sargent would have scored on that Soto flub. 

I honestly think that Tyler Adams is better than Durkin. Maybe some will disagree with me. 

You could even argue that Westin McKinnie might even be slightly better than his former FC Dallas stablemate, Paxton Pomykal.

I would like the US to excel at some level of soccer on the Men’s side of things. 

Look I get the frustrations but also there is some serious recency bias going on. At the end of the day it's the U20s. I'd take a senior WC QF appearance over a U20 WC win any day of the week. It isn't even close to me. 

It sucks getting bounced before the semis again but I dont think the answer is throwing all of our best players at the wall to try and win a tournament that borders on an exhibition. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Look I get the frustrations but also there is some serious recency bias going on. At the end of the day it's the U20s. I'd take a senior WC QF appearance over a U20 WC win any day of the week. It isn't even close to me. 

It sucks getting bounced before the semis again but I dont think the answer is throwing all of our best players at the wall to try and win a tournament that borders on an exhibition. 

I’d take a U-20 WC win over a CONCACAF Gold Cup win.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

I’d take a U-20 WC win over a CONCACAF Gold Cup win.

Of course - I think anyone would. But it's not the US' fault that we are in an extremely weak region. 

My concern is that our national team barely looks to have any chemistry right now to begin with. I don't know if pulling our 2 best players from an extended run with the senior team is what we need right now. We were still pretty good in the u20s without them. 

And obviously Sargent not playing in either was total dumbfuckery. 

We'll see how we play tomorrow and in the Gold Cup. 

The US national team program needs to hire coaches at the youngest levels to teach defensive technique because every damn tournament the US gives up stupid goals that cost them games. Ecuador was opportunistic on both goals but they also capitalized on poor defensive efforts which at some point you think it would be a priority to stop.

Ramos' substitution strategy was weird. Made the right call to take De La Fuente off at the half, but Llanez tried to do way too much so it didn't work out as well as it did the last game. He probably waited ten minutes too late for each of the next two substitutions. No reason to wait until the 85th minute for the final sub when you're chasing a goal and Rennicks had been good off the bench.

I know this is going to sound new-agey but the US needs to hire a career counselor of sorts. They need someone within the program that is helping the young players make the right decisions where they sign so that guys end up going places where they develop (The USMNT youth program should forge an agreement with the Bundesliga even though I have no idea if that's legal or not)

Weah, Soto, Pomykal (who a  lot people are high on and I thought was a disappointment in the KO games) and Richards seem earmarked for the Senior team, but I'd expect them to all be part of U23 Olympic qualifying this fall. 

18 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

The US national team program needs to hire coaches at the youngest levels to teach defensive technique because every damn tournament the US gives up stupid goals that cost them games. Ecuador was opportunistic on both goals but they also capitalized on poor defensive efforts which at some point you think it would be a priority to stop.

Ramos' substitution strategy was weird. Made the right call to take De La Fuente off at the half, but Llanez tried to do way too much so it didn't work out as well as it did the last game. He probably waited ten minutes too late for each of the next two substitutions. No reason to wait until the 85th minute for the final sub when you're chasing a goal and Rennicks had been good off the bench.

I know this is going to sound new-agey but the US needs to hire a career counselor of sorts. They need someone within the program that is helping the young players make the right decisions where they sign so that guys end up going places where they develop (The USMNT youth program should forge an agreement with the Bundesliga even though I have no idea if that's legal or not)

Weah, Soto, Pomykal (who a  lot people are high on and I thought was a disappointment in the KO games) and Richards seem earmarked for the Senior team, but I'd expect them to all be part of U23 Olympic qualifying this fall. 

Olympics could be exciting. We could have a pretty badass squad if everyone U23 shows.

1 hour ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Plus you get to bring three players over the age of 23 so that means the US can bring...nevermind.

That's pretty funny.  I got the joke then started thinking of (seriously) who we could bring in over 23.  Uh.. Wow.  I just looked at the Gold Cup roster, and I don't think there's a single full-national that's impressive.  Every player I'd take is U-23.

45 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

That's pretty funny.  I got the joke then started thinking of (seriously) who we could bring in over 23.  Uh.. Wow.  I just looked at the Gold Cup roster, and I don't think there's a single full-national that's impressive.  Every player I'd take is U-23.

I'd take Zack Steffen. He's the only definite I'd take. Other than that maybe Miazga because he and CCV had good chemistry in defense on the U20s? I could see them bringing a guy like Arriola maybe. I dunno. The pickin's are slim.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

The biggest failing I see is that we still try to take a 2nd touch in every situation.

2nd problem is we try to crash through 4 opponents when we clearly don't have the skill on the ball to do so.

3rd problem is CP, McKennie and Adams should be here and not in the Gold Cup.  Those 3 would have made a huge difference.  We win today for sure.

Sunil and Earnie took their orders and split the squads.

And now we all we play for is to "win" the Gold Cup which has far more downside than up.

Agree with points 1&2. If CP and McKennie were here then they'd be in the stands watching.  Should have brought in Aaronson and Sands to this team and I don't understand why Ramos didn't use Cerillo in any game. 

MLS Soccer's writeup of each player at the U-20 World Cup.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019/06/13/armchair-analyst-u-20s-post-mortem-and-whats-come-usmnt

This first clip was of a through pass to Sebastian Soto where he lets the Nigerian keeper slide past him before he chips the ball into the goal with the outside of his right foot.

https://streamable.com/bkhkm

I didn't watch this game, but I realized that he tried to do the exact same thing against Ecuador, because he had had success against the Nigerian keeper. I commented at the time that:

1) He should have kicked it with his LEFT foot and...
2) Josh Sargent would have scored in that instance.

The reason that he scored the first time, but did't the second was because the Ecuadorean keeper didn't suck. He didn't slide past Soto and then leave an open goal. He went AT Soto and slid on his side TOWARD Soto and the ball. Soto's weak attempt to chip the ball was smothered by a keeper who knew how to play the position.

It would have been better for the team if Soto had gotten stuffed by the Nigerian keeper (we were already up 1-0 at the time) and he had learned that you can't weakly chip a ball with the outside of your foot when the opposing keeper is right on you. A stronger chip with the left foot, which would have been further from the keeper and should have been easier to create more lift, was the right move vs Ecuador, but it didn't happen.

Anyway, the article starts with Weah and covers every player*.

*Supposedly, I just started reading.

• Like 1