The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

13 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Tina Weymouth is one of my favorite bass players, and very sneakily so. I think at some point I realized that she influenced a lot of choices I made and I didn't even know her name.

I would never be able to play this slow on SNL

i wonder how much she's made off of samples of this song

Gajillions I'd imagine.  Because the subtext in the book is that Byrne swiped a chunk of writers royalties on some of the earlier stuff by not giving them due credits.  

Nice 66 sunburst Strat he's rocking in that first video.  

8 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Tina Weymouth is one of my favorite bass players, and very sneakily so. I think at some point I realized that she influenced a lot of choices I made and I didn't even know her name.

I would never be able to play this slow on SNL

i wonder how much she's made off of samples of this song

She balls out on the Live in Rome concert film.  Love her!

About to get my tickets to SMS IMAX for tomorrow night.  In other news, Tyler has an IMAX theater.  I'll be interested to find out who the other three Talking Heads fans are around here.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve written more about it before elsewhere on this board but I’m “neighbors” with Chris and Tina - a street over. We (mostly my wife) walk dogs together occasionally (mostly Chris), the kids skate on their little pond, we exchange cards at holidays, etc. Both are as nice and down to earth as can be. Chris does lots of community stuff with our library and the like. I’ve known them now for about 5 years and I’ve barely ever talked music with them much less mentioned that I am any sort of musician. But sometime soon I want to come clean and tell him he - and definitely she - are huge influences and inspiration to me.

They are so nice that it’s silly that I’m so shy about it but I know them more as friendly older neighbors now so it’s kinda awkward.

Anyway, love Talking Heads and I know David has been trying to mend fences so it’s great to see them all together, even briefly.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ohchaucer said:

I’ve written more about it before elsewhere on this board but I’m “neighbors” with Chris and Tina - a street over. We (mostly my wife) walk dogs together occasionally (mostly Chris), the kids skate on their little pond, we exchange cards at holidays, etc. Both are as nice and down to earth as can be. Chris does lots of community stuff with our library and the like. I’ve known them now for about 5 years and I’ve barely ever talked music with them much less mentioned that I am any sort of musician. But sometime soon I want to come clean and tell him he - and definitely she - are huge influences and inspiration to me.

They are so nice that it’s silly that I’m so shy about it but I know them more as friendly older neighbors now so it’s kinda awkward.

Anyway, love Talking Heads and I know David has been trying to mend fences so it’s great to see them all together, even briefly.

You can tell them your buddy Chad F really digs the book, not to mention their decades of good music.  I've been trying to cop Tina's bass riffs of late as well.  Maybe that'll segue into your own musical confession.

I've seen some statement in public by Byrne recently (read his book too) that show some real personal growth.  "I was a tyrant back then and I'm not proud of it," is the quote that stuck with me.   Hopefully the wisdom and maturity of age has helped with that.

Edited by Chad Fuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

I’ll mention it and definitely I need to read his book. We mostly talk about our dogs and tree services and construction/traffic drama in our little town. My wife makes fun of me that, instead of just talking to Chris about drums and how I plays, etc, I instead just play in my music room (which is somewhat audible if you’re walking on our street) and I hope he happens to be out walking the dogs and he comes and knocks on the door or leaves a note in our mailbox or something. That’s what I fantasize anyway. 

Maybe someday I’ll slip him a demo tape of my songs from the monthly group - I’ll share y’all’s too if you ever want! Knowing him he’d probably fly the group up to host a jam session. And yet I’m still reluctant to just talk with him face to face. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Deej said:

Isn't Byrne on the spectrum? I remember a claim that he had Aspergers

He's self-diagnosed, but if you ever watch him in interviews, it's clear he's there.  Just watch his reaction to Dick Clark on their Bandstand video:

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Bro you make a jam session happen and I'll walk up.

Also, tell them Chad F has the best mullet in history.

Or, at least his avatar does.  Let's not oversell it.  

Just now, Chad Fuck said:

He's self-diagnosed, but if you ever watch him in interviews, it's clear he's there.  Just watch his reaction to Dick Clark on their Bandstand video:

Or, at least his avatar does.  Let's not oversell it.  

If we were standing in the same room, I will 100% be picturing your avatar, not gonna lie.

• Like 1

I hereby strenuously object to any besmirchment (outside of the observations that he appears to be on the spectrum, which seems apparent) of David Byrne. ;)

Definitely a Top 5 band for me.  A buddy of mine and his three kids are coming with me.  I think there will be about 10 people present total based on my online ticket purchase availability map.  This gonna be good.  Big suit about to be the BIGGEST SUIT!  I probably will dance.  Not lying.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Same as it ever was

I've got my core crew.  Now I'm inviting a bunch of people.  The only way this could be cooler is if a bunch of my like minded friends showed up and enjoyed it too.  Right now, I'm at 8 or 9.  Gonna need to put the word out.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

I've got my core crew.  Now I'm inviting a bunch of people.  The only way this could be cooler is if a bunch of my like minded friends showed up and enjoyed it too.  Right now, I'm at 8 or 9.  Gonna need to put the word out.

Same same. Looks like our group will be about half the folks in the theater.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

That's a super sharp guitar, but the Surly Guitar Owners Association CC&Rs state that all seafoam green strats require an upgrade to cream-colored plastics.

I'm planning on building a small enclosure where I can play while I smoke two packs of cigarettes every day. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2023 at 6:02 PM, ohchaucer said:

Can you ask them how many gajillions they earned off of Genius of Love?