LSU @ Texas Analysis: LSU Offense

sushihorn

14 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I honestly don’t know what to expect in this game which is why I’m not talking shit.  I’ve watched both these teams closely over the last two seasons.  Both are capable of winning this game and both are capable of blowing it in the fourth quarter.  I just hope it doesn’t come down to something dumb like an obvious blown call or poor officiating in general.

Yep.  This type of game reeks of a bonehead call determining the outcome. 

34 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

It’s absolutely astounding how much SEC team rhetoric revolves around if their team is “dialed in” or “motivated enough”. It’s fucking football, you douche canoes. If you’re not motivated, you’re going pay physically for it. 

This is the secsec narrative.  They are obviously more talented so the only way they can possibly lose is...they didn’t want to be there.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Deculus is a sieve.

To be fair their LT Charles was better last year and did not play in the opener.  The OGs gave up plenty of penetration in the interior gaps as well.  It caused 7 TFLs in the running game but little QB pressure.  GA Southern appeared to be playing the run first so their front would typically penetrate and read rather than penetrate and pursue the QB immediately.

Edited by sushihorn

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

No, the alternative was to say 10+. 

And GTech's win was not the only > double digits win, but it was the largest margin. And it was because they were still using a lot of Rugby rules, including the one where the team that gets scored on has to kick off.

It's okay to say stupid shit, but defending it isn't.

Thanks, Tex.  Good to know you are always in my corner...lol.

Honestly, the last time I saw this much arrogance from a team was 2005 USC. At least they had some skins on the wall and two Heisman winners. Not some offense who has been shut out twice in three years against its biggest conference challenger. But sure. Burrows is the second coming of Drew Brees bc your non-play calling passing game coordinator used to work for the Saints. 
Besides USC, the one I remember is 2010 Nebraska - but I have a lot of relatives in Nebraska and Iowa (some of them who are always GBR despite graduating from ISU) so I really remember the shit-talking beforehand and the crickets afterwards.

It's as if LSU fans forgot who their coach is and what he did at his previous stops. Now he's apparently Bill Belichick and Tom Brady is his qb. In his 8 years of coaching he has exactly one 10 win season (last year), and one 9 win year (the year before when they lost to mighty Troy). Before that, his highest total was 6 wins, twice, and a few 3 wins. Color me unimpressed. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It's as if LSU fans forgot who their coach is and what he did at his previous stops. Now he's apparently Bill Belichick and Tom Brady is his qb. In his 8 years of coaching he has exactly one 10 win season (last year), and one 9 win year (the year before when they lost to mighty Troy). Before that, his highest total was 6 wins, twice, and a few 3 wins. Color me unimpressed. 

little-boy-classroom-speech-therapist-26

The more I read from the LSU players on twitter, the more convinced I am that Texas *could* prison-style rape them Saturday. I’m talking 52-10 type game that is over in the 2nd quarter. Getting Missouri 2008 vibes here with that Chase Daniel douche QB. 

It has never, ever ended well for a team that talks this much shit before the first snap. Not in the history of football. 

The more I read from the LSU players on twitter, the more convinced I am that Texas *could* prison-style rape them Saturday. I’m talking 52-10 type game that is over in the 2nd quarter. Getting Missouri 2008 vibes here with that Chase Daniel douche QB. 
It has never, ever ended well for a team that talks this much shit before the first snap. Not in the history of football. 

college-football-cotton-bowl-miami-victorious-during-game-vs-texas-picture-id91113992
  • Haha 1

On 9/4/2019 at 10:45 AM, HtownHorn said:

Burrow’s a functional retard playing the position. 

22 hours ago, 6th Street said:

even Sterns and B Jones have had issues making open field tackles. 

I’m honestly not sure which of these statements is more stupid, but they certainly give all of these fly by LSU fans we’ve had this week a run for their money.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

And I'm pretty sure 1990 Texas was the team that was talking the most amount of shit before the game.

I don't know about that, but a large portion of our team was certainly arrogant enough to be out partying for NYE in Dallas the night before, drinking and screwing off past 2 AM.  They either thought they were going to handle Miami easily, or they just didn't care. 

LSU called running plays against Georgia Southern from a Youtube video that started with 10:23 remaining in the first quarter. Focusing on the OL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4wbM8TT0g#t=16 - LT pushed back a yard by GSU DE, LG chicken wings one LB then chicken wings another, C engages DT and eventually falls to the ground after his hold is unsuccessful, RG achieves a stalemate with other GSU DE utilizing the classic holding technique that isn't called these days (so it's a decent strategy, not slamming him), RT plays patty cake with LB, TE has LB pinned on the play due to alignment and blitz but somehow lets the LB get away and make the tackle. Verdict - Shitty blocking by LSU OL. All 3 DL for GSU end up on the LSU side of the LOS after being engaged by LSU OL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4wbM8TT0g#t=45 - LSU pulls out a gimmick play against Georgia Southern. LT actually successfully blocks GSU DE, LG stumbles then misses then pats LB on the pack, C blocks DT, LG pulls and picks up LB blitz fairly well, RT doesn't have much to do but does it well. Verdict - Most guys blocked well but LG's incredible slowness  in getting to the second level should have resulted in a loss on the play but RB is too good for GSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4wbM8TT0g#t=111 - GSU not set at the snap, results in actual good push from right side of LSU line and a good gain. Congratulations to the Tigers. A scrum sort of forms, and of note the scrum does not move forward for LSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4wbM8TT0g#t=135 - GSU kind of gets set this time. Two 1-on-1 battles at the LOS result in zero push from the LSU OL. However, the LG does successfully turn the GSU DT thanks to a solid grip/hold on the dude's left shoulder. Makes it pretty easy to turn a guy who has physically stood you up if you can just pull him around like that. Solid strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4wbM8TT0g#t=157 - Holy shit this one is funny. GSU defense and LSU OL are exhausted. This is with 8:18 left in the first quarter. Both sides just stand up and lean on each other. Well, except for LSU's RG #68 who I think is attempting a cut block but essentially just falls face first onto the ground. It's not as funny once you see that the RT stepped on his foot, so don't notice that part. Instead just laugh. But seriously, look at the rest of the line. They all just stand up and lean on someone. Dee Anderson #10 lines up at TE I guess so they can hurry up. Why he lines up there instead of splitting out I don't know because all he does is stand up, put his hands on a guy, then fall down. Also, it's the most impressive block of the play.

After a 2 minute drive 7 minutes into the game the LSU OL is exhausted. Their run blocking doesn't get appreciably better from there. I'm not going to do the rest of the game because I got bored, but here's one from their next drive. Y'all can summarize for yourselves.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KA4wbM8TT0g#t=625

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

LSU called running plays against Georgia Southern from a Youtube video that started with 10:23 remaining in the first quarter. Focusing on the OL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4wbM8TT0g#t=16 - LT pushed back a yard by GSU DE, LG chicken wings one LB then chicken wings another, C engages DT and eventually falls to the ground after his hold is unsuccessful, RG achieves a stalemate with other GSU DE utilizing the classic holding technique that isn't called these days (so it's a decent strategy, not slamming him), RT plays patty cake with LB, TE has LB pinned on the play due to alignment and blitz but somehow lets the LB get away and make the tackle. Verdict - Shitty blocking by LSU OL. All 3 DL for GSU end up on the LSU side of the LOS after being engaged by LSU OL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4wbM8TT0g#t=45 - LSU pulls out a gimmick play against Georgia Southern. LT actually successfully blocks GSU DE, LG stumbles then misses then pats LB on the pack, C blocks DT, LG pulls and picks up LB blitz fairly well, RT doesn't have much to do but does it well. Verdict - Most guys blocked well but LG's incredible slowness  in getting to the second level should have resulted in a loss on the play but RB is too good for GSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4wbM8TT0g#t=111 - GSU not set at the snap, results in actual good push from right side of LSU line and a good gain. Congratulations to the Tigers. A scrum sort of forms, and of note the scrum does not move forward for LSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4wbM8TT0g#t=135 - GSU kind of gets set this time. Two 1-on-1 battles at the LOS result in zero push from the LSU OL. However, the LG does successfully turn the GSU DT thanks to a solid grip/hold on the dude's left shoulder. Makes it pretty easy to turn a guy who has physically stood you up if you can just pull him around like that. Solid strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4wbM8TT0g#t=157 - Holy shit this one is funny. GSU defense and LSU OL are exhausted. This is with 8:18 left in the first quarter. Both sides just stand up and lean on each other. Well, except for LSU's RG #68 who I think is attempting a cut block but essentially just falls face first onto the ground. It's not as funny once you see that the RT stepped on his foot, so don't notice that part. Instead just laugh. But seriously, look at the rest of the line. They all just stand up and lean on someone. Dee Anderson #10 lines up at TE I guess so they can hurry up. Why he lines up there instead of splitting out I don't know because all he does is stand up, put his hands on a guy, then fall down. Also, it's the most impressive block of the play.

After a 2 minute drive 7 minutes into the game the LSU OL is exhausted. Their run blocking doesn't get appreciably better from there. I'm not going to do the rest of the game because I got bored, but here's one from their next drive. Y'all can summarize for yourselves.

So you're saying that losing teams even in a beat-down win some one on one battles throughout the game.  Good to know.

• Fuck You 3

One reason the first game tells us so little about LSU's offense is the fact that Georgia Southern's pass rush was so bad.  26 sacks last year was tied for #74 nationally and they tied for #89 the year before.  When you consider that was in the Sun Belt the lack of pressure is not surprising.  They managed to produce a modicum of a pass rush 4 times, not counting planned releases for screen plays.  Bad things happened for LSU every time that occurred.

7:00 mark 1st Q - edge rusher forces a hurried throw; completed swing pass goes for (-1) yard.

4:25 2nd Q - sound pocket but shrinking; Burrow gets happy feet and starts doing the pee pee dance in the pocket; underthrown into traffic and incomplete

12: 35 3rd Q - forced to retreat within the pocket; check down to the RB complete for (-1) yard.

5:15 2nd Q - only heavy pressure of the game; interior rusher beats the block and comes free; Burrow takes a hit after releasing the ball; short out is underthrown and incomplete.

That last one is worth showing:

Obviously LSU fans aren't accustomed to the implications of a quick passing offense.  It leaves little room for error and an incompletion is very similar to a tackle for no gain in the running game.  The difference between a throw hitting the receiver in stride and one that forces them to stop their momentum can easily be 5-10 yards so even small errors in location can have a big impact on production.

Operating from a clean pocket with clear pre-snap reads and very little pressure, Burrow wasn't even forced to take one step off his preferred spot on most dropbacks.  He was able to hit swing passes and crossing routes in stride regularly.  That enabled LSU's athletes to maximize their large talent margin over the defense.  On the few occasions Georgia Southern got even moderate pressure, that didn't work so well.  That's very encouraging to me because Texas will be able to create more frequent pressure on the front end and LSU's talent margin on the back end will be far smaller or even non-existent.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, GumboPot said:

So you're saying that losing teams even in a beat-down win some one on one battles throughout the game.  Good to know.

You are really struggling with the English language today. You said "some" where you should have said "most" if you wanted to be accurate.

The LSU OL could not physically move the GSU DL. Your OL was completely gassed in the first quarter. I'm not sure if you should hope that they were or weren't exhausted. If they were then, well, their conditioning sucks. If they weren't then, well, they are not as strong as the Georgia Southern DL.

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

You are really struggling with the English language today. You said "some" where you should have said "most" if you wanted to be accurate.

The LSU OL could not physically move the GSU DL. Your OL was completely gassed in the first quarter. I'm not sure if you should hope that they were or weren't exhausted. If they were then, well, their conditioning sucks. If they weren't then, well, they are not as strong as the Georgia Southern DL.

If LSU OL lost "most" of the battles against GSU, GSU would have won the game.  You don't lose "most" of the  battles and win a game much less deliver a beat-down where the game is effectively over before the end of the first quarter.  

• Fuck You 2

36 minutes ago, GumboPot said:

If LSU OL lost "most" of the battles against GSU, GSU would have won the game.  You don't lose "most" of the  battles and win a game much less deliver a beat-down where the game is effectively over before the end of the first quarter.  

hey baw yer readin comp rehenshin is not so good now is it baw 

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Not sure what you were trying to get at with these game clippings. The only thing I see is LSU gaining positive yardage on the GSU defense. 

4 yards, 3 yards, 9 yards, 3 yards (1st Down), Goal line Touchdown, 1 yard, 12 yards.

Maybe I missed it, but how many sacks did LSU give up in this game?

Edited by DayHeGeaux
Question

43 minutes ago, GumboPot said:

Again, I'm talking about the run game. Watch it. Your OL lost most of their one-on-one battles with the GSU DL. It's a fact. Watch this play again:

It's 3rd and 2. It's short yardage. It's time to man up. Which team has the tougher line? It's all on the line.

LT - HAHAHAHAHA. Stands up, tries to cut the DE, completely whiffs, is lying on his back on the ground as the play ends.
LG - Double teams the DT with the C. THE DOUBLE TEAM DOES NOT PUSH THE DT BACK AT ALL. Disengages to throw a chicken wing at the LB, whiffs, falls on his face. Why did he miss the LB and fall on his face? Because the RB ran into his back because the double team got no push whatsoever.
C - Double teams the DT with the LG. STILL LOSES. The Georgia Southern DT was double-teamed by two LSU OL, he did not lose ground, and he was in on the tackle. Read that to yourself again. Or have someone else read it to you again, whatever.
RG - Takes on other GSU DE. Gets pushed back 2 yards. To his credit, the GSU DE is awful and just buries his face in the LG's chest without looking to make a play. Still, he gets shoved back two yards by a fairly bad Georgia Southern defensive lineman. On 3rd and 2.
RT - Holy shit he found a LB and "blocked" him in a somewhat decent manner. Hallelujah!
H-Back - Gets beat easily on a move to the inside by the blitzing GSU LB, grabs on for dear life in a blatant hold, but doesn't get called. I guess that's a "win" sort of.

So I guess I stand corrected on at least one point. Your OL didn't just lose one-on-one battles with the GSU DL. They also lost two-on-one battles. Where they were the two. It's a new world in college football, though. I guess it's possible that GSU has a bunch of Ed Olivers on their team. Stud DL going to smaller schools. Is that the case?

• Like 1

Just now, DayHeGeaux said:

Not sure what you were trying to get at with these game clippings. The only thing I see is LSU gaining positive yardage on the GSU defense. 

4 yards, 3 yards, 9 yards, 3 yards (1st Down), Goal line Touchdown, 1 yard, 12 yards.

Maybe I missed it, but how many sacks did LSU give up in this game. 

I thought he was pretty clear. Your o-line couldn't beat Georgia Southern. Fortunately for you, your talented skill players were able to make some slight positive headway despite piss poor blocking. Again, you averaged under 4 yards per carry in the first half and for the game. Against. Georgia. Southern. 

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

That last one is worth showing:

What exactly are you trying to prove by pointing out a missed assignment by the third string left tackle? That guy won't even be playing on Saturday. You really should have done a little more research on the personnel before breaking down all of that film. LSU had multiple offensive lineman playing out of position. 

• Fuck You 1

Just now, LST said:

What exactly are you trying to prove by pointing out a missed assignment by the third string left tackle? That guy won't even be playing on Saturday. You really should have done a little more research on the personnel before breaking down all of that film. LSU had multiple offensive lineman playing out of position. 

Will the same quarterback who threw a shitty pass to a covered receiver that would have been a pick six against roughly a half-dozen of the actually good defenses y'all will play this season be playing? Or is that guy a third string lineman playing out of position, too?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, LST said:

I'll just quote the actual point that you missed the first time:

On the few occasions Georgia Southern got even moderate pressure, that didn't work so well.  That's very encouraging to me because Texas will be able to create more frequent pressure on the front end and LSU's talent margin on the back end will be far smaller or even non-existent.

edit: negged for lack of reading comprehension (if I'm feeling generous) or utter idiocy

Edited by sushihorn

3 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

Zero Sacks. On the other hand. 

(1) you had zero sacks by design with your quick passing, not really a statement about your o-line;

(2) you were playing Georgia fucking Southern;

(3) La Tech had 1 sack, 3 tackles for a loss (one on a bubble screen), and zero QB hurries for the entire game. Georgia fucking Southern had 7 tackles for a loss against LSU, in addition to at least 3 rushes for no gain. Texas had 1 rush that went for 0, and 1 stopped behind the line. That is it.  

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

(1) you had zero sacks by design with your quick passing, not really a statement about your o-line;

(3) La Tech had 1 sack, 3 tackles for a loss (one on a bubble screen), and zero QB hurries for the entire game. Georgia fucking Southern had 7 tackles for a loss against LSU, in addition to at least 3 rushes for no gain. Texas had 1 rush that went for 0, and 1 stopped behind the line. That is it.  

LOL. I every time I bring up facts you point back to the competition. 

"you had zero sacks by design with your quick passing, not really a statement about your o-line"

Joe Burrow: 10.3 yards/comp

Sam Ehlinger: 7.3 yards/comp

Now what's your excuse?

During the course of a game, the OL is probably going to let someone get by. That happens. Sacks are no fun, but at least you usually still have possession of the football.

What that video shows, and maybe it's an isolated incident or I'm not seeing the whole picture, is Joe Burrow burying his head in the face of pressure and hucking the football towards his last known good passing option. This is a cardinal sin in the spread offense!

The spread doesn't come free. It operates on QBs reading the defense, WRs reading their coverage, and both knowing (without overt communication) what the route is supposed to be. Things happen REALLY quickly once the ball is snapped, so this has to be evident before the snap. Once the ball is snapped, a good QB will read his keys to confirm what he knew, then execute the play (either run or pass) that the defense presented.

Things are bad enough when a WR blows his assignment. There's a decent chance that the defender followed him, and the QB just fires a pass into dead air. However, when a QB (typically under pressure) just guesses and wings the ball into the middle of the field, count on hearing the other school's fight song in short order.

7 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Not to mention the passes for negative gain. 

2 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

"you had zero sacks by design with your quick passing, not really a statement about your o-line"

Now what's your excuse?

Louisiana Tech is a lot better than Georgia Southern.  You should know.  You were in a 3 point 4th quarter game against them last year.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DayHeGeaux said:

Now what's your excuse?

Uh, the level competition is a fact too, a very relevant one when analyzing football stats. Those things go together. You can't just look at stats, without considering the level of competition. 

It was obvious watching your game that the game plan was to get the ball out quickly to your athletes in space. It worked well and is a staple of spread offenses. But, the yards per completion/attempt is largely driven by your skill athletes getting YACs, not the distance the ball travels in the air. You guys weren't really trying to test downfield, and I don't blame you, as it wasn't necessary against a very over matched opponent. Frankly, we weren't trying to do it either for the most part. I think our entire first drive was short throws to Duvernay on the perimeter or Ingram out of the backfield. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Again, I'm talking about the run game. Watch it. Your OL lost most of their one-on-one battles with the GSU DL. It's a fact. Watch this play again:

It's 3rd and 2. It's short yardage. It's time to man up. Which team has the tougher line? It's all on the line.

LT - HAHAHAHAHA. Stands up, tries to cut the DE, completely whiffs, is lying on his back on the ground as the play ends.

Holy shit, what is he doing?  He takes a drop step like he is about to pull and then dives on the ground.  At least he fell in the general vicinity of the DE, I guess.

But yeah the Oline is a weaker part of the team. That's how it was last year too but they should be a bit better than last year. And combined with the new offense LSU should be able to score more often which was the main weakness last year the offense fizzling out and getting the defense wore down. They were able to score last year with a worse line minus Bama. And I respect Texas defense. But it's no Alabama. 

2 minutes ago, Deguello said:

I’m sure Texas has seen nothing like the offense LSU will bring to town, which should be a huge advantage for the Tigers in their first game running it against a P5 team. 

I can almost guarantee LSUs game plan is have the defense shut down Texas offense the best they can and have the new offense be able to do enough to win. The new offense is there to be capable enough so the defense can secure wins. Not necessarily carry the team. 

1 minute ago, Johnny Sack said:

The game will be close.  I’m glad we are are home.  LSU is not nearly as good on the road.  This game is a coin flip.  

Our fans down play this a lot. But this team underperformed like crazy on the road last year. That's what has me concerned, Texas has the athletes to more than take advantage if LSU plays anything like how they played on the road last season. 

Just now, ShadyTiger4TX said:

I can almost guarantee LSUs game plan is have the defense shut down Texas offense the best they can and have the new offense be able to do enough to win. The new offense is there to be capable enough so the defense can secure wins. Not necessarily carry the team. 

Everybody has a plan...

If the LSU OL wasn’t sandbagging last week, their offense is going to struggle mightily, new scheme or not.