Non-Texas Recruiting 2021

angelos's frog

22 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Fair to say tOSU is just handpicking their class at this point? Jesus, have they missed on more than like 3 guys that they want?

To be fair, they took this guy from Clemson because Alabama took their guy. But yeah, basically those 3 schools are picking whoever, with a few exceptions from the next tier of schools (Texas, UNC, UGA, Oregon, LSU)

21 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Fair to say tOSU is just handpicking their class at this point? Jesus, have they missed on more than like 3 guys that they want?

I don't even think it's that many that are at the top of their board. Bama flipped an Ohio CB, Devonta Smith away from them, but he's not Okudah. Not by a long shot. Both Hancock and Johnson are superior prospects, and Denzel Burke could be a corner as well. Maybe they missed on some of the national receivers, but man that class looks like plan a worked out every time so far. 

On 7/18/2020 at 11:32 AM, golfclap said:

Oof. That's... rough. It's an accurate throw but man the mechanics are bad. His dad is a fucking NFL QB coach FFS. There was so much bad there I had to go look at the HUDL and Elite 11 clips. I'll chalk the rest up to a late read with his mental clock running out but there was some stuff in that throw that is really concerning...  
Looks like the wind up is here to stay (WTF dad?) but the rest of that mess is not as present in elite 11 recent throwing ...  except when rolling to his left. His release point dips and he goes across his body more. He looks much more comfortable and accurate throwing to the right side of the field, even when not on the move.       

Sure gotta alotta hitch in his get-along... 

31 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

but man that class looks like plan a worked out every time so far. 

The OL class could be the issue, specifically OT. and it's a really tiny thing - because they have stacks of talent upon talent. 

At OT, they need to land Leigh and are in a dog fight to do that. If they don't land him they are going to end up with a highly-rated class of OGs. Unless they can flip a current OT commit, and while they have shown that they could do that at DB, their OT interests have fallen to just Leigh and then perhaps seeing if Bama can't squeeze Parker into their class and I'm not convinced that he is a pure OT prospect as it is, though I am convinced he's really good. 

they landed Johnson last year and in a rolling 3 year class he and Leigh could be the 2 guys, but the rest of the OT takes last year were projects. Giant guys that are projects (6'7" 320 and 6'8" 355). 2019 was much the same, except that their highest rated OT (Jacboy) is more of a project than Leigh and Johnson. Playing that depth chart out rolling forward - they will be one injury away from a serious issue and a very immobile LT. It's a small thing because they've stacked so much talent, but their development of some of their blue chip OL guys at OT seems to be static. Nicholas Petit-Frere is clearly behind Theyer Munford and at this point he's kind of been relegated to playing RT and new flavor Paris Johnson is expected to be the backup. 

I think Studrawa is an awesome OL coach, clearly, but I think there's a disconnect in terms of what he values vs. Day/Meyer. Studrawa loves those really really big guys. The Ciron Black/Alex Hurst type guys he grabbed at LSU. Guys over 6'5" and well north of 300. By comparison the Buckeyes 2014 team had 3 of the 5 guys at or under the 300 pound mark (C, RG, RT) and really on the entire 2-deep you had 2 out of 10 at 310 and the rest were at 300 or lower. That's a stark contrast to what they have now - where 4 of the starting 5 are over 310 and everyone including the OCs are over 6'4". 

It's been a shift in their recruiting and yes they are simply going to out-talent all but one or two teams in the country but if I was going to pull out a consistent issue, it's that OT recruiting has been weird and disjointed.  Jacoby and Leigh feel like Day guys while Dawand Jones and Trey Leroux seem like Studrawa guys and it feels like there's a pretty clear disconnect. 

2 hours ago, TommyGufano said:

Egbuka (WR) and The poly DL from WA are both trending away. Egbuka to OU which is a top 6 recruiting program right now.

Jager Burton will probably stay home with Kentucky. Guards aren’t particularly valuable, but missing on both Burton and Latham hurts. Golfclap covered it above, but the tackle quality goes from elite to project-ish very quickly.

20 minutes ago, TheStoicPaisano said:

Egbuka (WR) and The poly DL from WA are both trending away. Egbuka to OU which is a top 6 recruiting program right now.

OU's recruiting is only top flight on offense.

34 minutes ago, golfclap said:

The OL class could be the issue, specifically OT. and it's a really tiny thing - because they have stacks of talent upon talent. 

At OT, they need to land Leigh and are in a dog fight to do that. If they don't land him they are going to end up with a highly-rated class of OGs.

At OU, Bedenbaugh doesn't seem to care where OL are projected to play. He seems to shift OG outside and OT inside regularly. This is probably a function of all being > 6-4, 300 lb. Other factors (arm length, power, quickness, decision-making) then decide where they are slotted.

• Like 1

Just now, quigley said:

OU's recruiting is only top flight on offense.

At OU, Bedenbaugh doesn't seem to care where OL are projected to play. He seems to shift OG outside and OT inside regularly. This is probably a function of all being > 6-4, 300 lb. Other factors (arm length, power, quickness, decision-making) then decide where they are slotted.

Bedenbough has done a much better job identifying big guys with plus lateral movement, compared to tOSU. Outside of Darrell Simpson, who just never seemed like a BB recruit and confuses me to this day. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Who's backup plan is Jardin Gilbert? I haven't kept up with his recruitment, but just spent some time with his hudl. He reminds me a lot of Montrell Estell, though it doesn't appear he has the top end speed. Could be a nice pickup for a team with room for developmental guys *ahem*. 

He looked like he was the backup plan for everyone (Bama, Texas, LSU, AU) in the way that Erick Cade is at OT, but Alabama looks like they may be happy taking he and Kaine Williams both out of LA.  

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

He looked like he was the backup plan for everyone (Bama, Texas, LSU, AU) in the way that Erick Cade is at OT, but Alabama looks like they may be happy taking he and Kaine Williams both out of LA.  

He's a good take, imo. If the mental is there, he has a pretty high ceiling. And Kaine isn't a safety which should be more obvious than Kendall Daniels. Maybe they take a 3rd. Their contingency offers are deep, as always. 

So, when are high schools going to start producing safeties that want to be linebackers? Everybody wants an Isaiah Simmons and nobody wants to play the position. It's obviously a spin down position, just like DT, just like OG, so why do schools have such a problem finding players willing to do it? Pass rushing DEs are as averse to a C/G double team as a S would be trying to crawl over muck, but they accept their fate and move on. 

go out to a 7on7 tourney and try to tell any of them that they're going to be LB. hell, you can barely get any of them to commit to playing S at this point. (Jaylon Jones, etc). 

the 7on7 frenzy has caused a few issues and guys willing to be LB/TE/FB/SS is part of it. It's like all the 6'10" guys shooting 20 foot jump shots and not willing to play C or even PF at AAU events. 

Rivals' Mike Farrell called Nick Saban the second best recruiter he's ever seen. "Urban Meyer is the best, and the reason for that is Urban Meyer was able to recruit nationally and Urban Meyer was able to sell stories to kids that nobody on earth should ever believe. He was able to go up north at Ohio State and recruit the Southeast as if it was his own and win a national championship up there," said Farrell. He compared the two coaches recruiting style by saying Meyer would charm the recruits more and Saban uses a more direct style explaining the practicality of his program for top-level recruits.

1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Post the article, fix man.

Chris Hummer, on Scooby Carter's JUCO plans

Spoiler

Former Alabama CB Scooby Carter headed to JUCO – for now23

Chris Hummer

Former Alabama cornerback Scooby Carter will transfer to Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College, he told 247Sports on Saturday. The former five-star recruit intends to play one season of junior college ball before rejoining Alabama as part of the 2021 or 2022 class.

Carter spoke to Alabama’s coaches on Friday to discuss his future. Both parties decided Carter would be best served with a fresh start, an opportunity to prove himself after an up-and-down debut season in Tuscaloosa.

“I talked to everybody yesterday,” Carter told 247Sports, “They’re really supportive about everything. They talked to the coaches at Gulf Coast and were helping to get everything ready. Me and Coach (Nick) Saban were getting on the right page.

“If I go there and do everything I’m supposed to and all that, we’ll go from there.”

Carter played three games as a true freshman. The Mansfield, Texas product was reportedly suspended for Alabama’s game with Mississippi State on Nov. 16 after missing class. Two days later, his name appeared in the transfer portal. Carter eventually pulled his name out of the portal on Jan. 16 with the intention of returning to Alabama. But he ultimately reentered the portal on Feb. 28. 

A few weeks later on March 11, Carter was arrested in Tuscaloosa on a third-degree domestic violence charge. The case has since been dismissed, court records show.

Carter said waiting for the legal process to close was a big reason he’s gone without finding an official landing spot for a few months.

Moving forward, Carter plans to play the 2020 season at Gulf Coast this spring. Following that campaign, he hopes to rejoin the Tide.

“I’m still wanting to be at Alabama,” Carter said. "I wasn’t always on the right foot. … It’s having a clean slate and showing that I can have my head down and focus on the right thing.”

Saban never closed the door on Carter returning to Tuscaloosa. When asked about Carter last season following the Citrus Bowl, Saban said Carter would have another opportunity on the team “if he wants.”

“Scooby can have another opportunity to be on the team, and if he wants to start with the team next semester in school, we’ll give him another opportunity at that time,” Saban said. “He did OK in school, and we’re trying to be supportive and helpful to get him to do the things that he needs to do to have a chance to be successful as a person, as a student and as a player, and we’ll give him an opportunity to come back next semester, if he wants to do that.”

The 6-foot, 186-pound Carter totaled one tackle in three games last season. He’ll enter Mississippi Gulf Coast as a redshirt freshman. Carter told 247Sports he plans to arrive at Mississippi Gulf Coast on Monday or Tuesday.

Carter ranked as the No. 30 overall prospect in the 2019 class, according to the Top247. He picked Alabama over Texas A&M, Oregon, Oklahoma and several others.

Here’s 247Sports’ evaluation of Carter coming out of Mansfield Legacy High School.

“Long, lean, and very athletic prospect who projects as a true cornerback at the high-major level. Wiry strong with the frame to add bulk and strength at the next level. Long-armed and gets hands on a lot of throws, despite often being avoided by opposing QB's. Explosive athlete who tested through the roof at The Opening Finals. Blazing speed in a combine environment combines with dynamic leaping ability. Experience playing receiver and ball skills show it. Turns and runs with terrific speed and tracks balls like a wideout. Requisite athleticism to be left on an island in man coverage. Shows awareness and breaking ability to thrive in zone. Confident and plays with swagger. High effort as a tackler. Will sometimes take unnecessary risks. Narrow-framed. Bigger, stronger receivers in college may be able to post him up, particularly in the red zone. Needs to add bulk and strength going to the high-major level. Senior season cut short by shoulder injury. Potential first-round draft ceiling.”