Arsenal FC

skipperj

I haven’t heard of anyone who likes this hiring. He hangs his hat on winning the Europa League three times, but Barca and Madrid used to crush him, he was underwhelming and got sacked at PSG, and I read earlier that Sevilla didn’t win a single road game his last season there- I would rather have had Arteta. Emery’s track record just doesn’t inspire confidence.

I like it. I think he’ll be hungry.

On 5/21/2018 at 5:59 AM, Goo Punch said:

Oh and Marcos Alonso was left out of the squad. Quality > hype.

When in doubt and choosing between a player who killed a person (even involuntarily) and a player who has NOT killed a person, it's always a good idea to go with the player who has NOT killed a person.

That's kind of a rule of thumb when selecting someone to represent your country.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

When in doubt and choosing between a player who killed a person (even involuntarily) and a player who has NOT killed a person, it's always a good idea to go with the player who has NOT killed a person.

That's kind of a rule of thumb when selecting someone to represent your country.

You need a thumb?  I can get you a thumb.

• Like 1

I haven’t heard of anyone who likes this hiring. He hangs his hat on winning the Europa League three times, but Barca and Madrid used to crush him, he was underwhelming and got sacked at PSG, and I read earlier that Sevilla didn’t win a single road game his last season there- I would rather have had Arteta. Emery’s track record just doesn’t inspire confidence.

He had teams that thrived at home and consistently sold off his top players every summer, to the EPL. That list includes Jesus Navas, negredo, kondogbia, Alberto Moreno, Ivan Rakitic, Kevin gamierro, Alexis Vidal. His probably best signing they could get while he was boss was either Steven n’zonzi or Carlos Bacca... n’zonzi is the only one not sold yet.

From memory his teams were sow starters and solid finishers, except his last season where he really packed-it-in in la Liga to focus on a 3rd Europa title in a row. I believe he played 2-4 of those games with heavy youth team rosters.

He had teams that were probably 4-6th place quality and always finished about there. He was big on rotations going into European play weeks caring less about la Liga results than champions and eventually Europa league results.

The Barcelona flop will follow him for a while.

He will run out some odd lineups on you at times.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Kits are so bad that the sponsor is a legit improvement.

I would rep this post 10 times if I could.

My god... the kits are awful! Like something that was suggested in the '70s/early '80s and the response was "Fuck off!"

The "Visit Rwanda" is so out of left field for Americans, but for the rest of the world, it will surely spur some google searches to learn more about the country, where it is, and what is has to offer tourists.

Ramsey runs a shitload.  Surprisingly so does Ozil.  I know there will likely be some players that can't handle the demands of more uptempo press, but those 2 won't be it. 

IMO the question is does he like/dislike them for other reasons.  Both drift in and out of form, I personally think they were overplayed when in form under Wenger which led to other issues.

Edited by drt

FYI on Lichtsteiner- won 7 Serie A titles at Juve, has capped 99 times for Switzerland, and has been the Swiss captain for some time now. I read earlier this summer that Emery and staff intend to bring in footballers who are “men” this summer, and this is a good start.

16 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

FYI on Lichtsteiner- won 7 Serie A titles at Juve, has capped 99 times for Switzerland, and has been the Swiss captain for some time now. I read earlier this summer that Emery and staff intend to bring in footballers who are “men” this summer, and this is a good start.

Well, he's already 34 years-old, so he definitely falls into the "Men" category, but he seems to be like a Zanetti. Someone who can run and run and run and doesn't seem to age like a normal human being.

I loved this sentence about his personal life on Wikipedia: "Lichtsteiner is married to Manuela Markworth, an economist and fitness instructor."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephan_Lichtsteiner

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ampersandrews said:

Arsenal agree to deal with Sampdoria's Lucas Torreira.

Just looked up video of him to get an accurate idea of his size and skills and the shortest film to come up if from MTFilms asking if Lucas is a BVB Target... whoops.

He appears to be a 22 year-old diminutive #6 with good long pass vision and touch. Oh, and he's Uruguayan.

Perhaps a young Marco Verratti.

I'm finding many Gooners across the intertons who are now fawning over Aaron Ramsey and going way over-the-top about him simply because it looks like he might be our de facto team captain and "leader". I'm still totally lukewarm on the guy. Personality of an empty room, doesn't seem to love the club the way plenty of other Gunners have/do (I could name a dozen+ guys who've played with him who regularly profess their love for the club while he essentially never does) he isn't a vocal leader or a leader by example, and he's had one amazing year amid scores of up and down play; he just happens to basically be the last guy standing so now we're all acting like he's Henry or something? Meh. He's a good, solid MF player but he's not some great standout and he's not a leader, and I've never seen that Arsenal FC matters all that much to him, which is the opposite of how I've seen him light up when he talks about playing for Wales. Still totally lukewarm on him.  If we sold him today we wouldn't lose anything we couldn't replace in the transfer market.