Arsenal FC

skipperj

24 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Apparently Ozil is claiming it’s because the DFB was racist towards him. I know everyone was pissed at him for the photo with Erdogan but I thought that had more to do with him being a piece of shit than Ozil’s race.

I think peope were mad at him because he played lazily and sucked at the WC. This is also him saving face. He likely was not going to make the Euro 2020 squad.

17 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I think peope were mad at him because he played lazily and sucked at the WC. This is also him saving face. He likely was not going to make the Euro 2020 squad.

he did not play lazily nor did he suck, and all you have to do is use google to see exactly what happened. he was very specific and held no punches. the guy is 100% being scapegoated because of a photograph that he never wanted to take in the first place. and after helping them win the world cup 4 years ago it's pretty ridiculous the way he's been treated. the fact that he's of turkish descent as well as being muslim has been used against him for years, and the whole photo fiasco just cranked everything up to 11.

and seriously, anyone who makes the "ozil is lazy" or "ozil looks like he doesn't care" argument is just showing that they have no clue. for whatever reason most people seem to have no idea that ozil was regularly finishing near the top of the team in ground covered while alexis was at the very bottom every game. but ozil "looks" lazy and alexis demonstratively presses the backline so we get a bunch of armchair qbs talking about how hard alexis works and how ozil is lazy. meanwhile his coaches can't stop insisting that he's a genius who manipulates space and defenders as well as anyone in the game. this is what being shy gets you.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

The Liverpool guys like Hobbes that have an opinion all of a sudden and post in the Arsenal thread can go fuck off. We have had a pretty good relationship on the boards. Are we going there now and we’ll just go to the others threads and call players pieces of shit? We do pretty good with individual threads and a common EPL thread. Shit talking on team threads will get ugly quick.

Yea wasn’t shit talking Ozil, was shit talking Erdogan. I just saw the story here and figured I’d ask since I saw no mention of it in the WC thread. 

What was the racist stuff with DFB according to Ozil? Have any other Turkish Muslims on the team complained?

On 7/23/2018 at 3:07 AM, hobbes2702 said:

Yea wasn’t shit talking Ozil, was shit talking Erdogan. I just saw the story here and figured I’d ask since I saw no mention of it in the WC thread. 

What was the racist stuff with DFB according to Ozil? Have any other Turkish Muslims on the team complained?

The Ozil stuff is pretty complex. I will say that any of the racists/xenophobes involved in this can go right ahead of fuck off - they are spouting bullshit. Anyone using this opportunity to talk shit about Ozil's play can also go fuck off because A) given the racism situation, his play isn't the topic to discuss and B) they are generally wrong.

And overall as a player of Turkish descent, Ozil probably finds himself in a difficult place. He might have family that remains in Turkey and under the influence of their regime. Photo ops like the one that is being talked about might be "optional" with consequences.

Liverpool fans might want to take some note too, because Salah is already finding himself in a similar difficult situation with the Egyptian government. Potentially heading down the path that Aboutrika found himself in not long ago:

https://twitter.com/ZidanSports/status/1014543234981249024 (a short thread of Aboutrika's story)

https://twitter.com/trtworld/status/994200321126739973 (similar story in video form)

EDIT

This read is pretty good look at a lot of fronts. Not much changes on my view. I would say that the view on Ozil's picture is pretty spot on (naive or obtuse by him). But even if you call it a mistake (I would), it doesn't justify any of the racism he's faced.

Edited by Captain Ron
Adding the Ozil article
  • Like 1

Auba has been an unbelievable addition to the squad. he's such a presence in the dressing room and in social media, and he's helped bring back what we lost in guys like Chambo, Wilshere, Podolski, Santi, and so forth- he makes it feel like a fun, family atmosphere while also playing some excellent football.

the ESR hype train chugs along. awesome goal from start to finish.

Guendouzi looked great. super composed, looked like he belonged.

AMN with the cheeky panenka was awesome.

and the new Atlético keeper stole the show in that shootout. good learning experience for the young guys and a wake-up call for all of those guys who took terrible penalties.

Edited by Goo Punch

hate the kits, love the way we played. and for real, if y'all haven't seen guendouzi he's been our best player this preseason. not like Zelalem or Sanogo or Jeff where he showed flashes- the guy looked like he's been in the EPL for 5 years. really excited about him.