Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

48 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Sweet.  It worked.  Far side of 2nd pic is a freakin' rib.  I don't usually like grits, but these were awesome.  The corn was a tad bitter to me.  My friend got boudin (sp?) Sausage but didn't like it.  I thought it tasted like haggis, so I finished it for him.

See! Told you so! :)

Glad you skipped his pork ribs, which have an odd-flavored "glaze" that goes on at some point. Not a fan.

Brisket is the best in town, hands down. You should've gotten some turkey if only to take it home for a sandwich in the next couple of days.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Is to-go at Cattleack as simple as going through the line and ordering, say, 3lbs of brisket?  I was told the owner can be somewhat of a soup nazi.  I want to make sure I know my place before I go all the way out there, stand in line, and then look like an idiot.

Yeah, I think it works that way. I do know the only way to pre-order is with a minimum of 20 pounds -- four times more than I've heard anywhere else doing that.

That's a no for me then. I've eaten their stuff at events (and it's always great) and the wife is really nice. I've worked plenty of service industry jobs and I get not wanting airhead types in your line,  but if I have to stress about having my shit together while I'm giving you money you can go fuck yourself. 

17 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

In the owner's defense, I didn't detect a note of attitude.  I was just told as much when I was trying to figure out what and how to order.  Perhaps my friend was wrong.  I have no idea.

No, your friend is right...it’s a thing.  I wouldn’t call it soup nazzi levels, but he definitly gets a little surly if you get up there and don’t know what you want.  I’ve also seen him fuss at people for not advancing the line fast enough and for too many people advancing past the “wait here” sign at a time.  I’ve never thought it was that off-putting though.

• Like 1

No, your friend is right...it’s a thing.  I wouldn’t call it soup nazzi levels, but he definitly gets a little surly if you get up there and don’t know what you want.  I’ve also seen him fuss at people for not advancing the line fast enough and for too many people advancing past the “wait here” sign at a time.  I’ve never thought it was that off-putting though.

It’s not. But you’ve got 45-60 minutes in line. How do you not know what you want by that time? You can ask for 1/2 pound brisket or say you want a couple slices and so on. They scratch out meats as they run out of it. Easy peasy. Move down line and ask for sides. I’ve never had an issue ordering there.

You're correct C-Man. In my case, I was just really hungry and had no idea what the portion sizes were for some of the offerings.  Obviously, I know what a 1/2 pound of brisket looks like; however, I wanted to try several different things, but def didn't want to be the idiot holding up the line with questions.

Pecan Lodge for lunch today.  Not very good at all.  Brisket mushy, ribs over cooked, pulled pork dry as fuck, sausage okay.  Not sure what the consistency issues are all about with this place, but it is really hit and miss.  Within the last year I'd say I've been there about 6 times...1 time was great, 2 were really good, 2 were pretty meh and today was not good.  But in no particular order or with any rhyme or reason like time of day, day of week ,etc.  Didn't see the owners anywhere today.  I think maybe the times its been really good they were there?  I know the 1 great time they were definitely there.  Cat's away, mice will play maybe?  Not sure but I've had a lot better at Lockhart than what I had today at PL.

Pecan Lodge for lunch today.  Not very good at all.  Brisket mushy, ribs over cooked, pulled pork dry as fuck, sausage okay.  Not sure what the consistency issues are all about with this place, but it is really hit and miss.  Within the last year I'd say I've been there about 6 times...1 time was great, 2 were really good, 2 were pretty meh and today was not good.  But in no particular order or with any rhyme or reason like time of day, day of week ,etc.  Didn't see the owners anywhere today.  I think maybe the times its been really good they were there?  I know the 1 great time they were definitely there.  Cat's away, mice will play maybe?  Not sure but I've had a lot better at Lockhart than what I had today at PL.
Yep, seems Justin isn't staying on the pits like he should. Too many other hands running the pits and not getting good consistency.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2018 at 10:08 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

You're correct C-Man. In my case, I was just really hungry and had no idea what the portion sizes were for some of the offerings.  Obviously, I know what a 1/2 pound of brisket looks like; however, I wanted to try several different things, but def didn't want to be the idiot holding up the line with questions.

I’ve found soup nazi types (cattleack guy and jack Perkins) are awesome when you just follow the rules they put in place to avoid mass chaos. They’re mostly common courtesy anyway...sad they have to enforce them.

6 hours ago, Thujone said:

Guess we'll have to go again. Been there three times and the BBQ was a load of shite. But it was only within a few months of their opening. That place is always slammed. They are raking it in. But I've always thought it was the bar. 

I’ve had a gift card from here for a few months and haven’t been real motivated to use it based on reviews here.  May give it a shot this week.

23 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I’ve had a gift card from here for a few months and haven’t been real motivated to use it based on reviews here.  May give it a shot this week.

We went for Sunday brunch and the meal was pretty good, if not an authentic CenTex BBQ experience. It's not. But I think they're now using Moberg or Moberg-like smokers. A buddy of mine bought their huge cabinet smoker for $1K. Think it retails for $7K or more.

I'd perhaps wait for the weather to cool off a bit so you can enjoy the large patio. Again, it's more of a Lakewood upscale(-ish) restaurant that happens to serve BBQ than a pure BBQ joint.

I knew what it was when I saw their menu.  18th and Vine but maybe a little better??? My wife teaches in HP, and as a result of that, we have a lot of random restaurant gift cards she receives from parents.  Smoky Rose is a little random for HP, but it’s divorced parents and one of them lives around the corner. 

I knew what it was when I saw their menu.  18th and Vine but maybe a little better??? My wife teaches in HP, and as a result of that, we have a lot of random restaurant gift cards she receives from parents.  Smoky Rose is a little random for HP, but it’s divorced parents and one of them lives around the corner. 

Blows 18th and Vine out of the water. I wanted to like it so much but I’ve been twice and it was dried-out dreck both times I went. Fuck that place.

18th and Vine was fine when it opened.  Not good, not bad, but fine. We had a party thrown for us there shortly after it opened and I had no complaints.  We went back twice (gift cards) and it was progressively worse each time.  The last time we ate there was probably 2 years ago, and we have no plans to return.

Went to 1050 in Richardson Friday night and I'll be damned if the fatty brisket wasn't 1A next to PL. Goddamn it was good. Also got some pulled pork (dry AF) and smoked turkey (solid, mostly for the kid anyway). As an aside the guy cutting the meat asked me if I wanted burnt ends, I said yes, he chopped up a handful and threw it in the tray without weighing/charging for it. 

That's the type of shit that earns my business. 

For the sides, we got the beans and free rolls which were a lot like Luby's butter rolls thus very good. 

All in with a couple draft beers it was $70 and we took home quite a bit. Pretty much around the same as PL when alls said and done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Went to 1050 in Richardson Friday night and I'll be damned if the fatty brisket wasn't 1A next to PL. Goddamn it was good. Also got some pulled pork (dry AF) and smoked turkey (solid, mostly for the kid anyway). As an aside the guy cutting the meat asked me if I wanted burnt ends, I said yes, he chopped up a handful and threw it in the tray without weighing/charging for it. 

That's the type of shit that earns my business. 

For the sides, we got the beans and free rolls which were a lot like Luby's butter rolls thus very good. 

All in with a couple draft beers it was $70 and we took home quite a bit. Pretty much around the same as PL when alls said and done. 

Pics aren’t showing up, Tanked.

Ten50 has always been pretty good.  The fact that they’re 5 minutes from my house means I’ve been a pretty frequent customer since they’ve opened.  They’ve stepped up their game the last few months.  I don’t think they’re the best in town, but they can now sit at the big boy’s table and not be out of place.

95% of the time my order consists of some combination of brisket, beef ribs, and pork ribs.  I think I’ve had the sausage once and it was fine.  I’m not a huge sausage fan.   I can certainly appreciate it when it’s outstanding, and I would absolutely order it if I was at a place that is known for having great sausage, but if I’m getting 2 meats, it’s brisket and pork ribs.  Never done pulled pork or turkey either.  I do the try a little bit of everything when I’m at a destination bbq place, but when I call it in on a Tuesday night and pick it up on the way home, it’s a 2 meat plate for me and a sandwich or baked potato for the wife.  They discontinued offering 2 meat plates about 6 months ago, which irked me, because now I pay $3 more than I used to for the same thing.  But it’s still good, so I still go.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mrs Landomatic and I tried Louie King on Greenville for lunch today.  Had high hopes given some of the reviews I've seen and some of the pics on social media.  Also heard he was a former pit master at Lockhart or PL or some such.  Pretty cool space and location.  Served on a sheet of paper on a tray.  Cans of beer.  Seemed promising.

Um, yeah...this shit was awful.  Not even worth going into too many details, just total dog shit from top to bottom.  Sausage and Brisket were mush.  Ribs were dry as fuck.  Most of it was cold.  Needed tons of sauce to even choke it down.  Wife's turkey and mac and cheese (not pictured) were okay but turkey was cold.  I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say give me Dickies over this place.

And sadly, according to some reviews, people out there thought it was good.  Is there a food more than BBQ that so many people have no fucking clue what they're talking about when it comes to reviewing places?

Anyway...here's a pic:

zym9jQ.jpg

On 12/7/2018 at 3:41 PM, Landomatic said:

Mrs Landomatic and I tried Louie King on Greenville for lunch today.  Had high hopes given some of the reviews I've seen and some of the pics on social media.  Also heard he was a former pit master at Lockhart or PL or some such.  Pretty cool space and location.  Served on a sheet of paper on a tray.  Cans of beer.  Seemed promising.

Um, yeah...this shit was awful.  Not even worth going into too many details, just total dog shit from top to bottom.  Sausage and Brisket were mush.  Ribs were dry as fuck.  Most of it was cold.  Needed tons of sauce to even choke it down.  Wife's turkey and mac and cheese (not pictured) were okay but turkey was cold.  I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say give me Dickies over this place.

And sadly, according to some reviews, people out there thought it was good.  Is there a food more than BBQ that so many people have no fucking clue what they're talking about when it comes to reviewing places?

Anyway...here's a pic:

zym9jQ.jpg

Wow. That looks wretched.

On 12/7/2018 at 3:41 PM, Landomatic said:

Is there a food more than BBQ that so many people have no fucking clue what they're talking about when it comes to reviewing places?

Pizza?

But yeah that looks disappointing. Like it's been sitting out for too long. 

I wish there was better BBQ within the city limits. I don't understand why there isn't. Unless you're going to do the Pecan Lodge experience what else even comes close? There's no fast casual places worth a shit. I have a bit of a soft spot for Sonny Bryan's but that's more comfort food than a great meat place.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

Pizza?

But yeah that looks disappointing. Like it's been sitting out for too long. 

I wish there was better BBQ within the city limits. I don't understand why there isn't. Unless you're going to do the Pecan Lodge experience what else even comes close? There's no fast casual places worth a shit. I have a bit of a soft spot for Sonny Bryan's but that's more comfort food than a great meat place.

Peggy Sue's has gotten much, much better after being sold. Sonny Bryan's is great for what it is -- a quick run in and pick up some BBQ on the quick. The ribs are an abomination, though. At least at the one on Lovers. They come with grill marks -- I mean, what the fuck?!?! Dickey's pretty much sucks for the most part. Haven't been to Baker's Ribs in eons but it was solid -- and I liked the free soft-serve ice cream.

On the list of legit places, Cattleack is better than Pecan Lodge IMO -- but it takes more of a commitment. Lockhart is pretty good too though behind Cattleack and PL. I just wish there was a Rudy's closer than Frisco still.

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Peggy Sue's has gotten much, much better after being sold. Sonny Bryan's is great for what it is -- a quick run in and pick up some BBQ on the quick. The ribs are an abomination, though. At least at the one on Lovers. They come with grill marks -- I mean, what the fuck?!?! Dickey's pretty much sucks for the most part. Haven't been to Baker's Ribs in eons but it was solid -- and I liked the free soft-serve ice cream.

On the list of legit places, Cattleack is better than Pecan Lodge IMO -- but it takes more of a commitment. Lockhart is pretty good too though behind Cattleack and PL. I just wish there was a Rudy's closer than Frisco still.

Will have to give Peggy Sue's a try. Cattleack and Lockhart are both a bit of a haul from my usual stomping grounds. 

And yeah - I don't do ribs unless it's somewhere I know knows how to do them properly. Brisket and Sausage at SB's are palatable enough for me to not really need to consider the ribs. 

2 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Broken record here -- but I still think Big Al's Smokehouse on Inwood does a pretty good job of fast casual cue, especially for a no-line lunch.  Their pork rib basket special on Tuesdays and Saturdays is a great deal.

Ooh hell yeah. That's just down the street from where I work.

Will def have to give it a try. Gracias. 

1 hour ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Broken record here -- but I still think Big Al's Smokehouse on Inwood does a pretty good job of fast casual cue, especially for a no-line lunch.  Their pork rib basket special on Tuesdays and Saturdays is a great deal.

55 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I haven’t been in awhile but Slow Bone was always worth going to. It’s a notch below the top places but never disappointing.

Haven't been to either in a while, but both good recs for that level from what I remember.

But didn't Al's close?  I thought he died or something?  Or maybe I'm thinking of somewhere else?

Tell me more of these Peggy Sue’s improvements as I’ll be heading over there this weekend before looking at Christmas lights (an annual tradition.). My standing order for...damn, almost 20 years, has been the brisket quesadillas with a side salad (completely filling as a meal).

I once previously tried their Friday or Saturday only burnt ends but was massively disappointed (as was I when I had tried their straight up BBQ plates). What’s been good there that you’ve had post-sale?

17 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Has anyone ate at Sammy's right by the Fed Reserve? Seems like it's usually popping but also it looks like the crowd is the white collar uptown crowd so not sure about their judgement of good BBQ.

Go get a double serving of the zucchini casserole and an iced tea.  It'll be great and  you'll be happy.  If you deviate from this, it will not go well for you. 

2 hours ago, mdleast said:

Tell me more of these Peggy Sue’s improvements as I’ll be heading over there this weekend before looking at Christmas lights (an annual tradition.). My standing order for...damn, almost 20 years, has been the brisket quesadillas with a side salad (completely filling as a meal).

I once previously tried their Friday or Saturday only burnt ends but was massively disappointed (as was I when I had tried their straight up BBQ plates). What’s been good there that you’ve had post-sale?

2 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Go get a double serving of the zucchini casserole and an iced tea.  It'll be great and  you'll be happy.  If you deviate from this, it will not go well for you. 

One of my best buddies owns the place. His parents started it back in the early 90's when that area was a shit-hole. Full disclosure -- I ran his Preston Center location (the one he opened) when I left the newspaper business and before I went to work with my then father-in-law in the insurance business. It was Stanley Marcus's favorite restaurant and I'm pretty sure a president or two has eaten lunch there. They make a killing.

The sides are pretty spectacular -- fried okra (some of the best I've ever had), baked potato casserole (they're kind of famous for this), potato salad, coleslaw, spinach salad (has blue cheese and poppyseed dressing and the aforementioned zucchini casserole. They're all made from scratch and pretty great. That said I don't recommend skipping the okra or potato casserole since it's your first swim through. Oh there are some really, really good onion rings too that they make to order.

As far as the meats go, they're not as good as you'll find at places like Pecan Lodge but it's going to be on par with Sonny Bryan's IMO -- definitely better than Dickey's. Meat is probably a little better at Sonny Bryan's but the sides at Sammy's blow theirs away. Marshall has added a Central Texas/German sausage that is actually very, very good. I'm pretty sure it's all prime brisket that he's using now. Finish it all off with a fantastic piece of homemade apple pie -- it's awesome -- a lemon bar (not as good as apple pie but good). I don't eat pecan pie but I hear theirs is very good.

Like I said, I love going in there and grabbing a bite and shooting the shit with ,y buddy Marshall. Lots of cold beer too. Great location, neat patio area. It was an old food stamps grocery store called Sammie's. FYI it can get pretty crowded the later you get in the week but the line moves pretty fast.

14 hours ago, C-Man said:

One of my best buddies owns the place. His parents started it back in the early 90's when that area was a shit-hole. Full disclosure -- I ran his Preston Center location (the one he opened) when I left the newspaper business and before I went to work with my then father-in-law in the insurance business. It was Stanley Marcus's favorite restaurant and I'm pretty sure a president or two has eaten lunch there. They make a killing.

The sides are pretty spectacular -- fried okra (some of the best I've ever had), baked potato casserole (they're kind of famous for this), potato salad, coleslaw, spinach salad (has blue cheese and poppyseed dressing and the aforementioned zucchini casserole. They're all made from scratch and pretty great. That said I don't recommend skipping the okra or potato casserole since it's your first swim through. Oh there are some really, really good onion rings too that they make to order.

As far as the meats go, they're not as good as you'll find at places like Pecan Lodge but it's going to be on par with Sonny Bryan's IMO -- definitely better than Dickey's. Meat is probably a little better at Sonny Bryan's but the sides at Sammy's blow theirs away. Marshall has added a Central Texas/German sausage that is actually very, very good. I'm pretty sure it's all prime brisket that he's using now. Finish it all off with a fantastic piece of homemade apple pie -- it's awesome -- a lemon bar (not as good as apple pie but good). I don't eat pecan pie but I hear theirs is very good.

Like I said, I love going in there and grabbing a bite and shooting the shit with ,y buddy Marshall. Lots of cold beer too. Great location, neat patio area. It was an old food stamps grocery store called Sammie's. FYI it can get pretty crowded the later you get in the week but the line moves pretty fast.

Good rec. Thanks man. I'll have to swing by sometime. PM me if you're ever doing lunch there - I'd be happy to join - esp someone that could guide me through the menu. 

To @DFWTexEx - I'm not as picky when it comes to meat as some others. Prob the pickiest when it comes to ribs. It's pretty hard to fuck up sausage. Brisket has to be pretty bad for me to not plow through a half pound. Enough white bread, pickles, onions and sauce if it needs it and I'm happy. 

Edited by ztejas

Went by Peggy Sue BBQ tonight. Passed up my usual order of brisket quesadillas and tried their Smoked Meat Sampler. Much better BBQ than the last time I tried their meat in lieu of the brisket quesadillas. It’s definitely gotten a lot better. I’m not saying they’re gonna end up on the next Texas Monthly list but it’s definitely a step up over last time. While the brisket was a little bland. Everything else was solid.

2ffb96ae6813de07b4d8218bf50d6d6b.jpg

• Like 2