Dallas | BBQ

C-Man

Its not great BBQ but im done paying insane prices for BBQ. 45 dollars for a beef rib and shit after waiting in line for an hour plus with a bunch of sweaty fat meat geeks. I'll either make it myself or if I want a quick brisket fix hit up rudys. 

Finally made it to Pecan Lodge on Thursday last week, and it did not disappoint.  There were 4 of us so I got the trough plus an extra 1/2 lb of brisket and pork ribs (unnecessary but wanted to be sure to have enough and bbq leftovers are awesome).  It was right at Noon on a beautiful Thursday, so the line was obviously out the door.  Why would anyone ever wait in that line?  If you have 3-4 ppl get the trough.  If you're solo or there's 2 of you, wait for a seat at the bar (which were available and turning over quickly).  I'm sure there are reasons ppl stand in line, but you won't ever find me in it.

I thought everything was great except for the sausage, which was pretty average.  Notice the extra 1/2 lb of brisket was so far from dry as fuck that it had it's own pool of juicy goodness.

o1wiRnf.jpg

On 5/4/2018 at 3:24 PM, threesheets said:

Really looking forward to Savor Dallas' Opening Night:

OPENING NIGHT: 'CUE IT UP
Thursday, May 17 at Dallas Farmer's Market
Indulge your craving for smoked goodness with pit masters and purveyors of fired-up flavors.  

• Host Chef Tim Byres of Smoke | Smoked 44 Farms beef shank, white beans, leeks, and Calabrian chili sauce
  • Host Chef Todd David of Cattleack BBQ | Akaushi beef pastrami burnt ends + brisket que-t-pies 
  • Boulevardier | Smoked beef with pickled mushrooms, roasted peanuts, and mala vinaigrette 
  • Dude, Sweet Chocolate + Woodford Reserve | Preservation Hall truffle + Loco for Coco bars
  • Harlowe MXM | Thai sticky ribs
  • Ocean Prime | Smoked salmon rillettes
  • Peasant Food Works + Chef Justin Box | Smoked lobster sausage with smoked root mayo
  • Pop Star Handcrafted Popsicles
  • Trompo | Elotes + apache (beef tartare) 
  • PLUS: Straight-up, down-home ’cue from 18th& Vine, Hutchins BBQ, Smoky Rose, Texas Bleu Steakhouse, and more
  • Build-your-own-cupcake bar with The Birthday Party Project

Went last night and the food was ridiculous.  The dish from Smoke was amazing and the one from Boulevardier was even better.  But I was more excited about eating as much Hutchins as I wanted, and the dude cutting was only too happy to oblige.  Had burnt ends, brisket, and jalapeno cheese sausage + a chopped brisket fried pie from Cattleack, paired with a shitload of Balcones single malt (my buddy is their brand manager so I just hung out with him most of the night). After the two samplings I mentioned above, the Hutchins/Cattleack combo was so rich I could barely finish it.  But it was one of the best things I've ever eaten.  I'm a simple man.

bbq_1.jpg

I'm starting to think the reason Hutchins is slightly underrated is because they've been around so long that to admit their stuff is as good as any would mean you missed it sitting right under your nose all those years.  BBQ nerds could never admit that.  Their meat is as good as any I've ever had (disclaimer: never been to Franklin).

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah I keep hearing people talk a little about how Hutchins is so good.  I had it once and, although maybe a slight step above Rudy’s, my experience was that it tasted about how those pics look.  Pretty pretty meh.

I've had the original once and I really liked it. It was all-you-can-eat when I went and I thought it was pretty good. I don't usually mess around with chicken at a BBQ place (unless it's Pecan Lodge's fry chicken) and I don't like collard greens at all and would never order green beans at a BBQ joint, I don't think. The brisket looks rather good, though.

1 hour ago, C-Man said:

I've had the original once and I really liked it. It was all-you-can-eat when I went and I thought it was pretty good. I don't usually mess around with chicken at a BBQ place (unless it's Pecan Lodge's fry chicken) and I don't like collard greens at all and would never order green beans at a BBQ joint, I don't think. The brisket looks rather good, though.

Brisket looks mushy to me...but I agree on the chicken and green beans.

• 2 weeks later...
Typically I'm the same on chicken and green beans at bbq places. However, the smoked chicken has bite through skin and awesome flavor. Hutchins is the only place I will order chicken. The green beans has a hint of how they cook it at Babes Chicken.

On 4/12/2018 at 7:24 PM, Twizzler said:

Any recs for central metroplex?  Live in flower mound and hard 8 has been the best I've found.  Very inconsistent brisket. From pretty damn good to over smoked and dry.

I’m in Frisco for kid’s baseball, and the team ordered a bunch of meat from Hard 8 last night. Some of the brisket was pretty dry but there was one chunk of it that’d I’d call pretty good. Consistency varied a lot just on the amount of brisket we ordered. The ribs and jalapeño sausage were both very good.

Graded on the serves all day curve (we ate around 7), I was overall pretty pleased with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Sammy Lou's Homecooking & BBQ.

This place is located in a small strip mall @ Dalrock and 66 in Rowlett.  I had heard about it on Nextdoor but couldn't find it until yesterday.  Holy cow.  I haven't been to near as many places as the rest of y'all, but I'd rank it 2nd (behind Hutchins) in my limited experience.  The family that runs it is extremely nice.  The brisket was excellent.  Okra, potato salad, and onions rings top notch.  Best part is that it is located about 3 mins away from my house.

In a follow up to a post I made on the last page, I did eventually make it out to Meshack's.  Perhaps I hit it on a bad day but I was not impressed.  The bbq had almost no smoke ring and was really chewy.  It almost tasted like it was boiled or something.  I guess part of the experience is waiting outside for 45 minutes but that got a little old as well.  And I'm a pretty patient person.

I'm supposed to meet a friend to go to the good place (can't recall the name) in Ft. Worth next week.  I'll report back.

One quick question.  What service are y'all using to host pics?  I'd like to include pictures as that would probably be more helpful than just my words.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

3 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Sammy Lou's Homecooking & BBQ.

This place is located in a small strip mall @ Dalrock and 66 in Rowlett.  I had heard about it on Nextdoor but couldn't find it until yesterday.  Holy cow.  I haven't been to near as many places as the rest of y'all, but I'd rank it 2nd (behind Hutchins) in my limited experience.  The family that runs it is extremely nice.  The brisket was excellent.  Okra, potato salad, and onions rings top notch.  Best part is that it is located about 3 mins away from my house.

In a follow up to a post I made on the last page, I did eventually make it out to Meshack's.  Perhaps I hit it on a bad day but I was not impressed.  The bbq had almost no smoke ring and was really chewy.  It almost tasted like it was boiled or something.  I guess part of the experience is waiting outside for 45 minutes but that got a little old as well.  And I'm a pretty patient person.

I'm supposed to meet a friend to go to the good place (can't recall the name) in Ft. Worth next week.  I'll report back.

One quick question.  What service are y'all using to host pics?  I'd like to include pictures as that would probably be more helpful than just my words.

I only know how to do it using Tapatalk so will jump on there to post photos.

Just finished eating at Heims in Ft. Worth.  Really good.  And I'll be darned, I forgot to take pics.

Bacon burnt ends were excellent.  Brisket excellent.  Actually ate collared greens for the first time in my life and they were good.

Only complaint was the portion size.  Granted I shouldn't complain as I didn't pay; however, the two meat/two sides were $18 and you got 2 pieces of brisket and 2 ribs.  IIRC, Hutchins has an all you can eat for just $4 more.

58 minutes ago, DallasHorn26 said:
1 hour ago, C-Man said:
I don't know what it is but I do not like the flavor of David's pork ribs.

I agree, they were not my favorite, but the other guys wanted to try them. The brisket never disappoints. I think the best ribs I've had in DFW were at Lockhart.

Cattleack turkey is incredible. I always get some and take it home for sandwiches the next few days.

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Went to 4T's today in Forney. Brisket was solid but turkey was dry as shit

You must have caught them on a bad day. The turkey is usually fantastic. (granted it's been a while since I've been. )

Edited by CBT

31 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Take a drive a little past Rockwall and go out to the intersection of 276&548 where Smoke Sessions BBQ has a trailer. They are putting out some great BBQ. I picked up a beef rib for myself and pulled pork sandwiches for the kids. b20d518b8385bcce39f48b15c73cdd73.jpg

sort-of-want-face.jpg

Tried Meat U Anywhere today in Grapevine. Thought it was quite passable. Would give the  Brisket 7.5/10, the turkey a 7/10. They had some of the best slaw I’ve ever had too.
The best part: no ridiculous line. 

I’m supposed to meet a buddy there next week.

Going to Cattleack Friday for lunch.  Very much looking forward to it per the above pics.  Is 10:30 early enough?

Also, is it ok to mention Big Al's on this thread?  It's on Inwood.  Eaten there 3-4 times when taking or picking up family from the airport.  AS a newbie to Texas BBQ, I sometimes wonder if older places are overlooked.  

10 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Going to Cattleack Friday for lunch.  Very much looking forward to it per the above pics.  Is 10:30 early enough?

Also, is it ok to mention Big Al's on this thread?  It's on Inwood.  Eaten there 3-4 times when taking or picking up family from the airport.  AS a newbie to Texas BBQ, I sometimes wonder if older places are overlooked.  

I lived pretty close to there for a couple years. I tried it once and didn't really care for it at all. Mike Anderson's BBQ is not far from the airport and is much better IMO.

The line at Cattleack isn't that bad usually but I think you can expect to wait 45 mins to an hour easy.

• Like 1

Thanks.  Other than Soulman's (yes, I know), Big Al's was the spot most convenient to us when we first moved back to DFW last summer.  I'm still kind of working my way towards the knowledge most of y'all have.  You have to understand where I'm coming from.  Put it this way, I was kind of excited that a Dickey's opened up in Knoxville a few months before we left.

19 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

C-Man and I have disagreed about Big-Al's over the years.  Not a destination place, but fine for a "no-line" lunch, IMHO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Thanks.  Other than Soulman's (yes, I know), Big Al's was the spot most convenient to us when we first moved back to DFW last summer.  I'm still kind of working my way towards the knowledge most of y'all have.  You have to understand where I'm coming from.  Put it this way, I was kind of excited that a Dickey's opened up in Knoxville a few months before we left.

Try the original Sonny Bryan's on Inwood or the one on Lovers for BBQ in a pinch. SB has "Hill Country Brisket" available that is light-years better than anything Dickey's puts out ever. Peggy Sue BBQ  in Snider Plaza changed hands last fall and the food -- if not the service -- has improved dramatically.

Thus far I've only been to a few.  My rankings:

Hutchins

Sammy Lou's (new place in Rowlett)

Heim's (good, but as mentioned above, not a lot of food for the price)

BIg Al's

Soulman's

Meshack (must have hit it on a really bad day)

Spring Creek (tagged along with some other teachers.  Sides were good.)

Thus far I've only been to a few.  My rankings:
Hutchins
Sammy Lou's (new place in Rowlett)
Heim's (good, but as mentioned above, not a lot of food for the price)
BIg Al's
Soulman's
Meshack (must have hit it on a really bad day)
Spring Creek (tagged along with some other teachers.  Sides were good.)

Try Slow Bone, it’s better than the ones on the bottom of your current list
  • Like 1

Also Baby Back Shack is okay. It’s worth a visit for the boudin.

There’s another place on S Lamar that is okay too. Down past the police station. Can’t remember the name of it though.

They don’t like to slice the brisket but will if you ask.

Smoky Rose is (I think) trying to be something more than a BBQ joint, therefore the 'cue suffers. Think they've got more that might appeal to a ladyfriend that ain't into Texas 'cue.

The service is godawful when there's a large crowd but Pickering's ribs are legit at Ferris Wheelers.

Finally, glad to not see much mention of 18th & Vine. Not a fan at all.