OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

6 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

In all fairness, in OU's offense RB's are pretty much plug and play.  They've had a lot of success with basically whoever they have.  They still have top flight QB's, WR's, and OL, which makes a big time RB kind of a luxury.  (Football in general is like that at this point.)

For the NFL, I agree with you. There are plenty of excellent RB. The marginal benefit of one over the next is minimal (exceptions to this prove the rule).

In college, I don't believe that's the case. Having competent backs is especially important, counterintuitively, in the pass game. RB have to be able to pick up blitzes and catch. If they can turn short passes into explosive plays, that's a bonus. Joe Mixon, in the Riley offense, is sort of the prototype for this. By his third year in the program, he was a true weapon on passing downs (no pun).

The inexperience of the OU RB manifest in the running game early in the year also. Apparently, during the first Iowa St game, OU running backs were missing cuts frequently. From a statistical perspective, when Stevenson returned, there was in increase of over one yard per rush.

• Fuck You 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2021 at 3:24 PM, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Big loss for the Sooners. Kid was real close with Caleb Williams and pretty sure fans considered Leigh to be the most important recruit left on their board.

You just hate to see it. 

It appears that Perrion Winfrey is coming back for another year.

Ranked in order of importance to 2021, this is OU's most important recruit.

Screenshot 2021-01-03 195003.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 2 weeks later...

OU in the final 3 (Auburn, Oklahoma and Rutgers) for UNC transfer CB Patrice Rene ::

https://247sports.com/Player/Patrice-Rene-34142/

Fong ::

Former North Carolina defensive back Patrice Rene is down to three schools a source close to him tells 247Sports. They are Auburn, Oklahoma and Rutgers.

A decision could also come as quick as Wednesday night or Thursday morning.

"Auburn and OU are pushing hard but his relationship with RU might be the difference," the source added.

A native of Canada, Rene played his high school football at Alexandria (Va.) Episcopal where he was the country's No. 32 cornerback coming out in the 2016 class. He played in 11 games that fall as a true freshman and was the starter by the time his junior year came around. An ACL injury kept him out two years ago and this fall he was a major contributor in the Tar Heels secondary as well.

Because of the Covid-19 pandemic, the NCAA has given every player an extra season of eligibility and Rene is taking advantage of it.

Rene was a significant recruiting win for the Tar Heels in the 2016 class. Rene picked Carolina over offers from Wisconsin, Penn State, Tennessee, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kentucky, and Indiana, among many more.

5 hours ago, golfclap said:

OU in the final 3 (Auburn, Oklahoma and Rutgers) for UNC transfer CB Patrice Rene ::

https://247sports.com/Player/Patrice-Rene-34142/

Fong ::

Transferring to Rutgers per 247

https://247sports.com/college/rutgers/Article/Patrice-Rene-commits-to-Rutgers-as-grad-transfer-159237776/

18 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

At CB, the Sooners have Graham, WWashington as starters and like their other youngsters (Davis, Eaton, Daniels).

Because of this and his size, OU was probably going to move him to safety as safety is probably the biggest weakness on the team. Depth chart or position change probably weren't selling points.

Wanya Morris finally entered the portal.

• Fuck You 1

Drumm on the RB room and a potential transfer if Gray goes to OU

Spoiler

Speaking to a few people it sounds like the Eric Gray visit to OU went very well. The staff couldn’t talk or see him, but with all the move-ins and traffic on campus it gave OU the look of a busy town that had a lot going on.

Gray and the Sooners RB coach Demarco Murray have talked quite a bit over the last few days, from what I’m told, and it’s seems OU and Gray seem to be moving in a positive direction. So much so that sources around Norman are feeling good about where things are with Gray if it is decided he is a take.

I’m told that Texas is also confident in where things are with Gray, as well. Gray took a visit to Austin prior to arriving on his self-visit to Oklahoma. From all accounts, that visit was a good one as well.

There are issues at both programs with Texas having Bijon Robinson as a returning starter and it looking like Robinson will be getting most of the carries in 2021. Robinson ended the season with a huge game against Colorado in the Alamo Bowl, so that momentum, with his talents, have some questioning if Bijon’s success may hinder Texas with Gray.

With OU, sources tell me Gray is a bit more confident with their roster and feels like he can come in and be a big contributor or at least share the lions portion of the carries with Kennedy Brooks.

The other issue is OU is definitely talking with five-star RB Camar Wheaton again. Where that goes is anyone’s guess. I don’t know how much that would play in taking Gray, and no one knows much about Camar or what he is thinking, but the fact still remains that Wheaton is committed to Bama. Also, even with the communication between him and OU picking up, flipping Wheaton seems like a long shot, as we have stated.

Lastly, I’m told Gray is looking to TRY and make a decision in the next 48-hours. So, I suspect the Sooners to know how they are going to address the RB depth/potential additions pretty soon, especially with February NSD approaching. Either OU will land Gray or still take a shot and try to go after Wheaton. If they don’t land Wheaton they have four RBs on the roster that most think OU can win a national title with.

The question continues to be whether taking Gray would potentially cause a current RB to think about transferring (he is a sophomore again in 2021), possibly/potentially ruin whatever momentum OU may have with Wheaton (even if it’s likely very, very, small at the moment) and also possibly cause some issues with 2022 recruiting that seems to be very strong for OU at RB.

Either way, we will likely know the decision for Oklahoma and Gray — choosing between OU or Texas — very soon, so we will have some hotly discussed issues for OU and RB depth answered soon enough

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hide contents

Speaking to a few people it sounds like the Eric Gray visit to OU went very well. The staff couldn’t talk or see him, but with all the move-ins and traffic on campus it gave OU the look of a busy town that had a lot going on.

Gray and the Sooners RB coach Demarco Murray have talked quite a bit over the last few days, from what I’m told, and it’s seems OU and Gray seem to be moving in a positive direction. So much so that sources around Norman are feeling good about where things are with Gray if it is decided he is a take.

I’m told that Texas is also confident in where things are with Gray, as well. Gray took a visit to Austin prior to arriving on his self-visit to Oklahoma. From all accounts, that visit was a good one as well.

There are issues at both programs with Texas having Bijon Robinson as a returning starter and it looking like Robinson will be getting most of the carries in 2021. Robinson ended the season with a huge game against Colorado in the Alamo Bowl, so that momentum, with his talents, have some questioning if Bijon’s success may hinder Texas with Gray.

With OU, sources tell me Gray is a bit more confident with their roster and feels like he can come in and be a big contributor or at least share the lions portion of the carries with Kennedy Brooks.

The other issue is OU is definitely talking with five-star RB Camar Wheaton again. Where that goes is anyone’s guess. I don’t know how much that would play in taking Gray, and no one knows much about Camar or what he is thinking, but the fact still remains that Wheaton is committed to Bama. Also, even with the communication between him and OU picking up, flipping Wheaton seems like a long shot, as we have stated.

Lastly, I’m told Gray is looking to TRY and make a decision in the next 48-hours. So, I suspect the Sooners to know how they are going to address the RB depth/potential additions pretty soon, especially with February NSD approaching. Either OU will land Gray or still take a shot and try to go after Wheaton. If they don’t land Wheaton they have four RBs on the roster that most think OU can win a national title with.

The question continues to be whether taking Gray would potentially cause a current RB to think about transferring (he is a sophomore again in 2021), possibly/potentially ruin whatever momentum OU may have with Wheaton (even if it’s likely very, very, small at the moment) and also possibly cause some issues with 2022 recruiting that seems to be very strong for OU at RB.

Either way, we will likely know the decision for Oklahoma and Gray — choosing between OU or Texas — very soon, so we will have some hotly discussed issues for OU and RB depth answered soon enough

It's "Bijan", dipshit, but you will get to know his name well soon enough.

Edited by Bevo14

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

" ... but with all the move-ins and traffic on campus it gave OU the look of a busy town that had a lot going on."

Laughing Hard GIF by memecandyDog Lol GIFNervous Laugh GIF by memecandy

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Getting help from UT

OU could add two more from Rocky Top, Gray at RB and Big Cat Bryant who was briefly committed to the Vols.

In fact, I'd love it if they went after either or both of Tennessee's inside LB also because of small LB numbers in the last three classes:

2019: 3 (one is gone)

2020: 1 (247 lists two, but one is playing Edge)

2021: 1 (Mukes is likely going to end here so it may be 2)

Both Tennessee's inside LBs were productive and have big upside and both are in the portal.

• Fuck You 1

47 minutes ago, quigley said:

OU could add two more from Rocky Top, Gray at RB and Big Cat Bryant who was briefly committed to the Vols.

In fact, I'd love it if they went after either or both of Tennessee's inside LB also because of small LB numbers in the last three classes:

Both Tennessee's inside LBs were productive and have big upside and both are in the portal.

So Big Cat committed but didn't enroll? 

53 minutes ago, quigley said:

Also, what 2021s is OU still targeting? Wheaton and..?

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

So Big Cat committed but didn't enroll? 

That's my understanding. He was following his coach from Auburn to TN, but coach got fired in the purge so now he remains in limbo. The OU sites say the OU coaches knew something would go down at TN so they continued to recruit him even after he publicly declared for TN.

Also, what 2021s is OU still targeting? Wheaton and..?

To my knowledge, Wheaton and Uke only. And of course it would be a surprise if they got either.

Edited by quigley
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, quigley said:

To my knowledge, Wheaton and Uke only. And of course it would be a surprise if they got either.

So whiffing on both would leave somewhere between 3-5 in your class, depending on Gray and Big Cat, correct? Think Riley will save those for more transfers, late adds to the 2021, class, or save them for 2022?

16 minutes ago, quigley said:

That's my understanding. He was following his coach from Auburn to TN, but coach got fired in the purge so now he remains in limbo. The OU sites say the OU coaches knew something would go down at TN so they continued to recruit him even after he publicly declared for TN.

You guys needed $9.95ers to tell you something was going to happen at Tennessee? I guess your base and Big Kat were the only dumbasses clueless about that one, so it sounds like a good match. 

Abandoning high school recruiting for one-third to one-quarter of every class seems like a bold strategy. Can’t argue with Riley’s results so far though. Bill Snyder probably admires him. 

15 minutes ago, Fud said:

So whiffing on both would leave somewhere between 3-5 in your class, depending on Gray and Big Cat, correct? Think Riley will save those for more transfers, late adds to the 2021, class, or save them for 2022?

I think Riley is all in for 2021. That's how I'm rationalizing taking Congel, bc it seems like they have good C/G starters and depth and promising young guys. I'm imaging that he thinks he can win a nat'l championship in '21 and then move on from college coaching before the changes in player independence are enacted.

Yeah, I think, based on the numbers that would leave 3-5 slots available. I imagine the plan is to use them this year based on the aspirations noted above.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You guys needed $9.95ers to tell you something was going to happen at Tennessee? I guess your base and Big Kat were the only dumbasses clueless about that one, so it sounds like a good match. 

Abandoning high school recruiting for one-third to one-quarter of every class seems like a bold strategy. Can’t argue with Riley’s results so far though. Bill Snyder probably admires him. 

You may want to re-read what I said. I was/am monitoring Tennessee, Michigan, and USC since the first signing day. I'm still perplexed by some of these schools stability. That may change after players get back on campus and into offseason work. We'll see another spike during and after Spring ball.

In the transfer thread, I noted that OU has ~ 50% attrition of high school players historically and close to that recently. Check it out. I present data rather than hot takes and vinegar.

Based on this high attrition rate, one could make a case for taking a core group of high level high school talent and then pivoting to the transfer market to plug in holes. Riley has experience exploiting the market inefficiency in transfer QBs already.

• Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, quigley said:

You may want to re-read what I said. I was/am monitoring Tennessee, Michigan, and USC since the first signing day. I'm still perplexed by some of these schools stability. That may change after players get back on campus and into offseason work. We'll see another spike during and after Spring ball.

In the transfer thread, I noted that OU has ~ 50% attrition of high school players historically and close to that recently. Check it out. I present data rather than hot takes and vinegar.

Based on this high attrition rate, one could make a case for taking a core group of high level high school talent and then pivoting to the transfer market to plug in holes. Riley has experience exploiting the market inefficiency in transfer QBs already.

Riley better win big and soon. He is creating a great negative recruiting pitch against OU. 

26 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Does Riley have public opinions about this, or is it just rumored? That would be quite the irony if the transfer king was publicly bemoaning player independence

Outside of the fiasco with the QB who went to WV, his comments have been coach-speak or supporting player freedom to my knowledge.

• Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, quigley said:

You referenced "OU sites say the OU coaches knew something would go down at TN so they continued to recruit him ", which I mocked your fanbase for given that if they really needed their $9.95ers to tell them that shit may go down at Tennessee, they might be even dumber than I thought. Like Big Kat dumb. I don't need to re-read a thing. It would be helpful if you'd focus better on what others are saying, rather than talking baseless shit. Maybe reading comprehension isn't your thing, but it's an odd thing to taunt at someone else if that is the case.

Also, if you're going to use a term like "market inefficiency" with a readership that understands the concept, you should damn well use it correctly. There was no "market inefficiency" exploited by signing and leveraging Kyler Murray or Jalen Hurts. They were pursued by hordes of schools. OU did a good job of bringing them in and putting them to good use, but OU wasn't uncovering hidden treasure or finding daylight where everyone else was in the dark. Could Riley be "exploiting a market inefficiency" by signing more transfers than most other schools because he's got a POV on bust rates for HS recruits? Sure, that's a legitimate use of "exploiting a market inefficiency" and one we've all been discussing, so you attempting to highlight that point is redundant to the conversation. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, quigley said:

Outside of the fiasco with the QB who went to WV, his comments have been coach-speak or supporting player freedom to my knowledge.

"He has supported player freedom everytime it has served to his benefit. He acted like a hypocritical piece of shit that time in which it didn't favor him, but that was just that one time." Right.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You referenced "OU sites say the OU coaches knew something would go down at TN so they continued to recruit him ", which I mocked your fanbase for given that if they really needed their $9.95ers to tell them that shit may go down at Tennessee, they might be even dumber than I thought. Like Big Kat dumb. I don't need to re-read a thing. It would be helpful if you'd focus better on what others are saying, rather than talking baseless shit. Maybe reading comprehension isn't your thing, but it's an odd thing to taunt at someone else if that is the case.

Also, if you're going to use a term like "market inefficiency" with a readership that understands the concept, you should damn well use it correctly. There was no "market inefficiency" exploited by signing and leveraging Kyler Murray or Jalen Hurts. They were pursued by hordes of schools. OU did a good job of bringing them in and putting them to good use, but OU wasn't uncovering hidden treasure or finding daylight where everyone else was in the dark. Could Riley be "exploiting a market inefficiency" by signing more transfers than most other schools because he's got a POV on bust rates for HS recruits? Sure, that's a legitimate use of "exploiting a market inefficiency" and one we've all been discussing, so you attempting to highlight that point is redundant to the conversation. 

That's a lot of revision there. Please refer to Murray thread on this board to learn what the UT fanbase thought of Murray after his performance at A&M. There were plenty of people questioning whether Hurts could succeed at OU in the Sooner fanbase. There were still people who questioned if he could throw the ball even after he was a Heisman finalist and NFL draft pick. And there was a bias against transfer QBs (with merit based on their success) prior to the OU experience of Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts.

So yeah, market inefficiency. I know what it means too.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, quigley said:

That's a lot of revision there. Please refer to Murray thread on this board to learn what the UT fanbase thought of Murray after his performance at A&M. There were plenty of people questioning whether Hurts could succeed at OU in the Sooner fanbase. There were still people who questioned if he could throw the ball even after he was a Heisman finalist and NFL draft pick. And there was a bias against transfer QBs (with merit based on their success) prior to the OU experience of Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts.

There's no revision. You simply don't follow logic very well. People doubting a player or mocking a player doesn't imply a market inefficiency whatsoever. Numerous schools pursued both players when they transferred. Numerous schools wanted each player because numerous schools thought each player could help their team. OU did not sign either guy under the cover of darkness, quietly knowing better while the rest of college football ignorantly rambled on in a different direction.

I'm willing to watch you tumble all the way down this path if you like. It's pretty fucking clear you are punchdrunk and can't tell up from down if you're going to insist on the false premise that signing and playing a former top 5 national recruit that everyone wanted both when he signed and when he transferred, and signing and playing a former starting QB for a national title-winning team that numerous schools pursued aggressively when he announced his transfer, are "exploiting market inefficiencies." It's getting fucking hilarious.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, quigley said:

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There's no revision. You simply don't follow logic very well. People doubting a player or mocking a player doesn't imply a market inefficiency whatsoever. Numerous schools pursued both players when they transferred. Numerous schools wanted each player because numerous schools thought each player could help their team. OU did not sign either guy under the cover of darkness, quietly knowing better while the rest of college football ignorantly rambled on in a different direction.

I'm willing to watch you tumble all the way down this path if you like. It's pretty fucking clear you are punchdrunk and can't tell up from down if you're going to insist on the false premise that signing and playing a former top 5 national recruit that everyone wanted both when he signed and when he transferred, and signing and playing a former starting QB for a national title-winning team that numerous schools pursued aggressively when he announced his transfer, are "exploiting market inefficiencies." It's getting fucking hilarious.

As someone who works at a hedge fund and whose sole job is to find market inefficiencies - CTJ is correct here. All market participants clearly understand that these QBs are valuable. Riley went out and got the best. He's not exploiting some knowledge advantage he has or lack of analysis by other people.

59 minutes ago, quigley said:

The Princess Bride Reaction GIF

bringing in a guy who was 26-2 as a starter at Alabama and probably the greatest TXHSFB player of all time isn't exploiting some market inefficiency. those dudes were heavily recruited as recruits and they were heavily recruited in the portal.

There were plenty of people questioning whether Hurts could succeed at OU in the Sooner fanbase

and every one of those people were fucking morons. he was #3 in the early heisman odds at 9/1 before he transferred, then after announcing OU he went to 6/1 odds. people questioned his ability to be a quality NFL player and they did it for a reason, he may be great but he is far from a sure thing.

there was a bias against transfer QBs (with merit based on their success) prior to the OU experience of Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts.

oh, you are one of those people who think Baker Mayfield was a transfer on the level of the other 2. didn't realize that those people knew how to use the internet beyond twitter and facebook.

market inefficiency.

this isn't Billy Beane and Moneyball where they were pulling dudes off the scrapheap and identifying undervalued assets. these are arguably the most recruited player in the history of the transfer portal (Hurts) and a guy who had offers from every team in the world out of HS.

stop saying dumb shit because you think it makes you look smart.

1 minute ago, Octavian said:

As someone who works at a hedge fund and whose sole job is to find market inefficiencies - CTJ is correct here. All market participants clearly understand that these QBs are valuable. Riley went out and got the best. He's not exploiting some knowledge advantage he has or lack of analysis by other people.

he acts like a guy who went 26-2 as a starter at Alabama and was #3 in the early heisman odds wasn't seen as incredibly valuable to anyone and everyone in the country.

• 4 weeks later...