OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I like how all of these dudes bailing are mid round draft picks at best, except for Brooks.

Marquis Hayes sucked ass all year.

23 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

DB Turner-Yell off to the NFL.

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

How many games does OU win this year without Brooks? 

They don't beat Texas or Iowa State without him. 

All the guys "leaving" (so far) are 4th or 5th year guys. None were expected to be back. I don't know if Brooks will be drafted before day 3.

47 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

They just got a commit from some RB named Jovantae Barnes from Nevada at the AA game.

This is a big get for OU because of numbers alone. The Sooners had only 2 eligible scholarship backs for most of 2021.

Next year they'll have only 4 (including Barnes and another Fr).

47 minutes ago, quigley said:

All of this is simultaneously true!
IF Georgia gets a top flight QB, AND IF they decide to let him cook, they could be LSU 2019-level good on offense with a better defense.

He's the problem for Williams transfer. Where does he go?
If you listen to what's been said about Williams' priorities, development for the NFL is first, then winning, then NIL.

First round NFL QBs since 2016:
Random school 10 (Cal,Memphis,UNC,TTech,Wyo,UCLA,Louisville,Duke,UtahSt,BYU)   
N Dakota St 2 -- LOL
Oklahoma 2 -- coaching change
Clemson 2 -- coaching change; offense now sucks
Ohio St 2 -- has a QB
Alabama 2 -- has a QB
USC 1 -- coaching change; new coach ditched him already
Oregon 1 -- coaching change
LSU 1 -- coaching change
Georgia 0 -- Jake Fromm 5th round; JT Daniels can't beat out a walk on, and they have a 5-star from Williams class on campus.
ND 0 -- He's from a Catholic high school, no competition on campus, they'll get NIL together, he can win there; no history of NFL QB.
Wisconsin offers winning
Ole Miss offers NFL development

No obvious place for him to go is one reason for him to stay at OU or go to USC.
Gil bang needs to explain why he thinks USC's OL/DL are going to be good next year, so staying at OU may be an option.
The marks against OU are that the Briles offense hasn't produced NFL QBs and they don't have NIL set up.

Georgia will certainly get to make their pitch, but if a track record of NFL development is the litmus test, they don't have it.

Regardless of what Williams does or doesn't do, no top flight QB should ever consider a Kirby Smart team.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Getafix said:

Peter Dancer's source, perhaps? 

(Midwest journalist of the year in 2014 ... sounds suspiciously like "Debra from Facebok")

Well, considering Lincoln Riley had dudes with guns holding up weed houses a change in culture might be for the best.  (Why are they robbing a weed house when every intersection in the cursed state has two weed stores?)

As far as the money, that's in the ballpark of the deal Rattler had so OU is playing ball.  I call bullshit on the whole Georgia thing.  Lulz if Williams goes there and backs up Stetson Bennett because Kirby Smart is a dumb shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Well, considering Lincoln Riley had dudes with guns holding up weed houses a change in culture might be for the best.  (Why are they robbing a weed house when every intersection in the cursed state has two weed stores?)

As far as the money, that's in the ballpark of the deal Rattler had so OU is playing ball.  I call bullshit on the whole Georgia thing.  Lulz if Williams goes there and backs up Stetson Bennett because Kirby Smart is a dumb shit.

Wouldn't that make Williams the dumb shit, too? 

The entire Williams thing cracks me up. 

The main reason Williams committed to OU was Riley. His family had a bunch of comments along the lines of "we are one big family and blah blah blah." A few months later Riley bolts. 

I could understand Williams now wanting to chase a check at Georgia. It's a business and Williams has learned that the hard way. 

13 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm very, very surprised Murray even still has a job. He doesn't seem to "coach" anything. 

I agree. He's young, good looking, charismatic, and has huge N-F-L bone fides should be a slam dunk at a position where there isn't a lot of teaching to do. Yet he alienated the best back on the roster a couple of years ago (Trey Sermon), and he couldn't recruit, until this year.

This year, he was integral to keeping the class together. Sawchuk, Barnes, and Taylor, three of OU's highest rated recruits, probably wouldn't be in the class without him staying. This is a contract year for him I think. He needs to continue to recruit and get his backs to block for the QB.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Now post the OU247 snippet about Williams entering the portal today. 

I don't subscribe to any of the 9.95's.

In addition, I said a couple of days ago, on this board that "I think it's just as likely Dillon Gabriel starts for OU in Sept as Caleb Williams."

The receipts are here. I've moved on.

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

Is he bringing Clemson boosters with him

15 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or the church?

As I also said, OU's going to have to put up or shut up in terms of wanting to pay to play big boy CFB.

As many, ?all, here should be aware, historically, Oklahoma the state has overvalued athletic pursuits. It'll be interesting to see the response of the state now. If the Sooners decide to pay up, it will fit the historical model.

If OU doesn't get NIL/bag game in order, it think it will be an interesting indication of the race-class divide between most of the OU football players and the population of the state. Mostly White, relatively poor fans may not want to see mostly Black young men make more than they than they do to play a game while in college (something they, the fans, may not have access to).

Again, the receipts are here.

Edited by quigley

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Or the church?

Speaking of churches, I wonder if the Dindy family will still get their ministry in College Station?

The fact that OU held his commitment until Riley left makes me think that OU had paid some sort of tithe.

Edited by quigley

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

This may be the best defensive staff overhaul from one season to the next in college football history. Wow. 

You shouldn't be excited about Valai. He was almost certainly processed by Saban after 1 year of not landing the guys in Texas he was hired to land. He's also a mediocre developer. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, texasstrong12 said:

You shouldn't be excited about Valai. He was almost certainly processed by Saban after 1 year of not landing the guys in Texas he was hired to land. He's also a mediocre developer. 

@Constant This is my understanding.

Valai is probably better than Manning, but Bama's CB weren't awesome this year. I hope he learned something from Saban.

1 minute ago, quigley said:

@Constant This is my understanding.

Valai is probably better than Manning, but Bama's CB weren't awesome this year. I hope he learned something from Saban.

I see. I quoted the wrong post. I’m excited about Bates. Don’t know much about Valai. 

Edited by Constant

1 minute ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

The eyes controversy and saying Texas was a racist school was his supposed pitch to Harris early last cycle

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It was his big play with recruits during the Eyes of Texas kerfuffle.

Funny if he was trying to play it from Bama. Well, that's remediable. It failed, pick a different selling point, like playing for an awesome defensive coach which is all should've needed at Bama too.

20 minutes ago, quigley said:

Speaking of churches, I wonder if the Dindy family will still get their ministry in College Station?

The fact that OU held his commitment until Riley left makes me think that OU had paid some sort of tithe.

I mean, he's headed to college station. I don't know why not. That being said, considered aTm's spending behavior towards the end of the class, I'm not sure he would have ended up at OU either way even with Riley remaining.  

4 minutes ago, Constant said:

He may suck by Bama standards but we had a clueless Linebackers coach coaching corners the last three years. Zero development of so-so talent. 

Gotta be somewhat better. I think my mother could do better than Manning. 

Shit in one hand and hope in the other. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Constant said:

He may suck by Bama standards but we had a clueless Linebackers coach coaching corners the last three years. Zero development of so-so talent. 

Gotta be somewhat better. I think my mother could do better than Manning. 

But the hype videos...

In addition to the poor skill development, his bipolar snap management was frustrating as a fan. I'm surprised there were more DB portals.

Edited by quigley

11 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Bates was an excellent hire. Roof and Valai are a big yikes. 

Who else is on the defensive staff? 

The other two should be good.

Brandon Hall, who played at OU, coached with Venables (at OU) and was DC at Troy. Supposedly good. The other was a GA at Clemson, Miguel Chavis. He's a former Clemson DL. The one Clemson booster I know said Chavis was loved by the players and is brilliant.

The hope is that Roof was brought in the be Venables vessel. Roof will be trusted to let the Venables aura and knowledge flow through him to allow Venables to still be the guiding light of the defense so Venables doesn't have to focus exclusively on the defense. Or some such. Or it could be nepotism.

I got nothing to support Valai.

23 minutes ago, quigley said:

The hope is that Roof was brought in the be Venables vessel. Roof will be trusted to let the Venables aura and knowledge flow through him to allow Venables to still be the guiding light of the defense so Venables doesn't have to focus exclusively on the defense. Or some such. Or it could be nepotism.

OIP.sCo6T17MNwFjKdZ7Y2Wb-wHaEK?pid=ImgDe

Valai is a "recruiting coordinator" who demanded to be put in an on-field role.  It went as well as you might expect.  Every move Venables is making seems like it's targeted at recruiting and building a donor network to support players/recruiting.  No idea if that's going to work long-term, or if the existing OU fan infrastructure can support that commitment.

Side note: we already have Chip Viney, why do we want Valai??

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

Valai is a "recruiting coordinator" who demanded to be put in an on-field role.  It went as well as you might expect.  Every move Venables is making seems like it's targeted at recruiting and building a donor network to support players/recruiting.  No idea if that's going to work long-term, or if the existing OU fan infrastructure can support that commitment.

Side note: we already have Chip Viney, why do we want Valai??

All great points. I think Turnipseed is part of the funding strategy too.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, quigley said:

All great points. I think Turnipseed is part of the funding strategy too.

Indispensable part.  They needed someone with a vision for how to compete in the new climate, and a history of getting that off the ground in two of the biggest success story programs of the last 20 years.

• Hook 'Em 1