OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

texifornia

6 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

A head coach can simultaneously be leading a team in decline and ALSO far superior to the alternatives.  

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

This is what people don't get in football. 

Once you get to like the 7th or 8th best coaches in CFB you have do a lot to justify why they're one of the top coaches in CFB. Riley might be overrated but he's also clearly one of the better coaches in CFB. 

If OU'd had a choice they'd not have had the upheaval of the last 5 weeks. But Riley left.

We don't know Venables capacity, but we do know that Riley hadn't fielded even a top 30 defense*. As fans of a rival that has had high profile hires fail, I see your predisposition for assuming the worst, but variance has two tails. 

* don't tell me 2020--there are too many caveats

7 minutes ago, Constant said:

If you aren’t able to enjoy a vodka tonic once in a blue moon, I don’t even want to argue on the internet with you. 

For a start, you could replace that vodka with gin like a human who enjoys things that have actual flavor instead of drinking like a Pi Phi counting calories.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, quigley said:

Gundy is really underrated. First off, he gets kids to go to northern OK. Have you ever been there? His teams are at least competent every year. He's been head coach since 2005 and has a winning record every year except 2005. And frequently, they're really good! Ok St ended the season ranked 9 times in his 17 years. To put that in perspective, Ok St has only been ranked 8 other times since the AP poll has been around.

I like Aranda and Campbell. Hopefully, OU called both of them. We'll learn a lot about Campbell and Aranda this year. 

You are talking about Oklahoma City and Norman being materially better than Stillwater? Now that’s funny. 

Put me in the category of I'll believe in the demise of OU when I actually see it.  I've been talking myself into OU taking a massive step back almost annually for 20 years now.   Losing CW is probably a bigger deal from an optics standpoint and who they lose because of him.   Replacing CW with an experienced QB familiar with the new system being installed may be somewhat neutral from a QB play perspective but it sure would be nice if they lose another couple of receivers.  Lord knows we all saw the impact of no WR depth this past year.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Bad news, nobody here is able to enjoy a vodka tonic ever.

friends-matthew-perry.gif

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

For a start, you could replace that vodka with gin like a human who enjoys things that have actual flavor instead of drinking like a Pi Phi counting calories.

Y’all are insufferable. Let me enjoy my lady drink. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, quigley said:

Rhule I've seen mentioned. Aranda was just rumors. Do you know more?

(doesn't really matter now)

Just rumors like all of this stuff but the timing for hiring Venables happening the day after the big 12 championship leads it some credence

Brandon Drumm earlier this morning on Mario Williams. Whoops.

(Also, he is the king of writing 1,000 words that say absolutely nothing.)

I know we have talked about Mario Williams entering the portal, but I’m told this continues to be one that goes back-and-forth.

He wasn’t, then he was and now he just MIGHT not AGAIN. I say “might” cause I don’t know what to believe anymore and neither do a few sources. He is confused on what to do, but the addition of Dillon Gabriel might have given him something to think about. We will see.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Brandon Drumm earlier this morning on Mario Williams. Whoops.

(Also, he is the king of writing 1,000 words that say absolutely nothing.)

Lol this is great, kid already had the portal edit and everything when this drivel was written

50 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I am feeling kind of bloated from all of the holiday beer I drank.  This kind of hits hard.

Just now, RollingPresidential said:

I would continue to question Aranda for non-football reasons if he turned down OU to stay at fucking Baylor. 

He's super religious, so the culture fit is there, and he marches to the beat of his own drum, so he might want to stick around for for a while and not take on another culture rebuild so quickly. He's a bit of an odd duck.

Stolen from LHF - this is fucking magical:

The OU landscape: What we know, and don't know . . .VIP

Back To Topics

BBishop avatar
BBishop
STAFF
Posted on 3 mins, V I P, User Since 134 months ago, User Post Count: 3347
3 mins
VIP
134 months
It's been a tumultuous month, to say the least!

Before we completely lose our minds over who's going, who's staying, and who's coming, let's sit back and realize that these athletes we so freely and often criticize did nothing to deserve any of this. The former coach threw a grenade into the locker room and walked off, leaving 85 guys to figure things out for themselves.

No explanation, no direction -- nothing, until Bob Stoops walks into the room an hour later to calm the ciaos. But before that one moment of sanity, players and coaches were left to wonder what was next. Can we blame any of them for wondering about their future when the 'former' coach, a guy who made promises to almost every man in that room, left them with a prime example of how much 'loyalty' means.

What we know . . .

We know that the disruptions are not yet complete. But we also know that Brent Venables has come in and overnight transformed darkness into hope. His hires have been beyond our expectations.

Yes, there will be more disruptions, but for every man who leaves, BV and staff have an answer via the Transfer Portal. No one would believe the players nationally that have called family and friends to see if Oklahoma would be interested in taking them. The list includes more than one current All-American.

All of this due to the staff that Coach Venables, (our coach) has assembled. And yes, the DB coach will soon be here, (and as many have guessed, we won't be disappointed).

Looking back, we thought we had the right guy, we didn't -- turns out he was flirting with two schools during the season, making excuses like taking care of personal business instead of attending his own press conference. Making his own exit plans in order to maximize his recruiting class somewhere else, instead of focusing on the next game.

Looking forward, with Venables we won't have to put up with that. Players won't have to worry about BV telling them the truth. Recruits can trust his word, based on his proven track record, not smoke and mirrors BS.

What it looks like from my vantage point is that the 2022 Sooner team will be far better than 2021, regardless of who stays. Buckle up for a crazy spring, one that brings us far more good news than bad.

Brian Bishop - OUInsider

• Haha 9

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Back To Topics

BBishop avatar
BBishop
STAFF
3 mins
VIP
134 months

Before we completely lose our minds over who's going, who's staying, and who's coming, let's sit back and realize that these athletes we so freely and often criticize did nothing to deserve any of this. The former coach threw a grenade into the locker room and walked off, leaving 85 guys to figure things out for themselves.

No explanation, no direction -- nothing, until Bob Stoops walks into the room an hour later to calm the ciaos. But before that one moment of sanity, players and coaches were left to wonder what was next. Can we blame any of them for wondering about their future when the 'former' coach, a guy who made promises to almost every man in that room, left them with a prime example of how much 'loyalty' means.

What we know . . .

We know that the disruptions are not yet complete. But we also know that Brent Venables has come in and overnight transformed darkness into hope. His hires have been beyond our expectations.

Yes, there will be more disruptions, but for every man who leaves, BV and staff have an answer via the Transfer Portal. No one would believe the players nationally that have called family and friends to see if Oklahoma would be interested in taking them. The list includes more than one current All-American.

All of this due to the staff that Coach Venables, (our coach) has assembled. And yes, the DB coach will soon be here, (and as many have guessed, we won't be disappointed).

Looking back, we thought we had the right guy, we didn't -- turns out he was flirting with two schools during the season, making excuses like taking care of personal business instead of attending his own press conference. Making his own exit plans in order to maximize his recruiting class somewhere else, instead of focusing on the next game.

Looking forward, with Venables we won't have to put up with that. Players won't have to worry about BV telling them the truth. Recruits can trust his word, based on his proven track record, not smoke and mirrors BS.

What it looks like from my vantage point is that the 2022 Sooner team will be far better than 2021, regardless of who stays. Buckle up for a crazy spring, one that brings us far more good news than bad.

Brian Bishop - OUInsider

I swear, our 9.95ers suck in their own way, but the way aggy and OU writers immediately snap to writing like they're auditioning for Pravda at the hint of bad news is just embarrassing.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

What it looks like from my vantage point is that the 2022 Sooner team will be far better than 2021, regardless of who stays. 

This is no different than any other year.  The guys who leave are easily replaceable and their backups (now transfers) were better anyway.  Same tripe every year.

Also, the Riley hate alongside the Venables hero worship are:

chefs-kiss.gif

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I swear, our 9.95ers suck in their own way, but the way aggy and OU writers immediately snap to writing like they're auditioning for Pravda at the hint of bad news is just embarrassing.

It really is fucking crazy. OU hasn't faced legitimate adversity within the program since 1998. They've got no idea what a down cycle looks like. Venables might wind up being the 3rd consecutive wizard they've hired, but I'm not seeing it so far. The premise that a bunch of stars across the country are just climbing over each other to transfer there is also very humorous. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Just rumors like all of this stuff but the timing for hiring Venables happening the day after the big 12 championship leads it some credence

That was also one day after Cincy clinched the playoffs. I suspect Fickell was on the list

15 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Back To Topics

BBishop avatar
BBishop
STAFF
3 mins
VIP
134 months

What we know . . .

Brian Bishop - OUInsider

ho.lee.shit. That's some grade A ass kissing. 

Also, just for the record, from when BV left Norman for Clemson: 

"Venables announced late Wednesday night he was leaving, only a few hours after he told head coach Bob Stoops and others that he was staying."

https://tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/ou/emotions-high-as-brent-venables-leaves-ou-for-clemson/article_6aeb78c6-6502-5096-9865-d536b7abd010.html

You know, trusting his word based on his track record *slobber* *slobber* *slurp*

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Back To Topics

BBishop avatar
BBishop
STAFF
3 mins
VIP
134 months

What we know . . .

Brian Bishop - OUInsider

Shit. Bishop posts here as quigly, y’all. 

whole thing is chefs kiss. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

You love to see it. 

Jalil Farooq is the next WR that'll likely portal. He's from the DMV and friends with Caleb Williams. That'll leave OU with Mims, Wease, Drake Stoops, and a bunch of guys that really haven't played. Only 9 total WR on the team.

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Jalil Farooq is the next WR that'll likely portal. He's from the DMV and friends with Caleb Williams. That'll leave OU with Mims, Wease, Drake Stoops, and a bunch of guys that really haven't played. Only 9 total WR on the team.

blOU leaving no stone unturned in recruiting...

dmv-3.jpg&ehk=63yocfiwXz4Q94zFXbxSUIW1cj

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

He's super religious, so the culture fit is there, and he marches to the beat of his own drum, so he might want to stick around for for a while and not take on another culture rebuild so quickly. He's a bit of an odd duck.

Idk if ‘super religious’ really is the right descriptor there. Art Briles wrote a book about how he was called by God to coach. I guess only God can judge though.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

OU is about to start filling up on bread in the portal. Drumm said they are in a good spot for UNC DB Trey Morrison and Wyoming DB CJ Coldon. Neither is ranked in the top 150 transfers available by 247.

Neither is Neyor - the transfer rankings can be a bit wonky.

10 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

We know what you were looking at.  It was more obscure Harry Potter house lore, or a map trying to square away North Carolina as a hub for Asian ladies. 

And here I thought my Cho Chang reference would make it abundantly clear I'm up on my HP lore

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

And here I thought my Cho Chang reference would make it abundantly clear I'm up on my HP lore

Lets be  clear. People like you are never just "up" on their lore. They're always searching for more lore to get up on.  Sort of like MarkStanco endlessly pouring over NextDoor posts, or d3zii trying his best to read Pete The Cat books. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

OU is about to start filling up on bread in the portal. Drumm said they are in a good spot for UNC DB Trey Morrison and Wyoming DB CJ Coldon. Neither is ranked in the top 150 transfers available by 247.

The Sooner biggest portal needs are WR, DL = OL, TE. WR is woefully short on numbers and experience. The DL has numbers, but not quality. OL has ~ 4 starters back and some candidates for the 5th spot (T), but no experienced depth. 

Because of deficiencies at WR and the O, the passing game could take a huge fall not because of Gabriel but because of all the other requirements to complete a pass.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if OU brings in DBs over these other groups. The commenters on the Alamo Bowl broadcast indicated the new OU coaching staff was impress with returning DBs.  OU has 3 DBs with starting experience returning and several highly touted possible replacements.

19 minutes ago, quigley said:

The Sooner biggest portal needs are WR, DL = OL, TE. WR is woefully short on numbers and experience. The DL has numbers, but not quality. OL has ~ 4 starters back and some candidates for the 5th spot (T), but no experienced depth. 

Because of deficiencies at WR and the O, the passing game could take a huge fall not because of Gabriel but because of all the other requirements to complete a pass.

I'd be surprised and disappointed if OU brings in DBs over these other groups. The commenters on the Alamo Bowl broadcast indicated the new OU coaching staff was impress with returning DBs.  OU has 3 DBs with starting experience returning and several highly touted possible replacements.

Well they're at least trying at OL

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, quigley said:

Grinch wanted quick DL who could stunt. I believe I read or heard that OU didn't have a DL over 290 pounds on the roster.

Venables ain't gonna like that.

Four-star LB Jaren Kanak publicly commits to Oklahoma

ByPARKER THUNE 62 minutes ago

One of the strangest recruiting processes of the entire 2022 cycle appears to have finally concluded, as four-star ATH Jaren Kanak has publicly given his pledge to Oklahoma.

Kanak was previously committed to Clemson, but decommitted after Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables left the Tigers to become the Sooners' new head coach. It wasn't any particular secret that Kanak, a native of Hays, Kan., intended to play under Venables at the collegiate level. Thus, in the immediate aftermath of Venables' introduction as Oklahoma's successor to the departed Lincoln Riley, it became apparent that the Sooners were well positioned to flip Kanak.

In a remarkably clandestine manner, he officially enrolled at Oklahoma in December, but hadn't yet announced his decommitment from Clemson. Moreover, the Sooners declined to send Kanak a letter of intent to sign, leading to plenty of public speculation about what the outcome of his recruitment could be. OUInsider's Brandon Drumm later reported that Kanak would sign a financial aid agreement with the Sooners upon arriving to campus in January. 

A consensus blue-chip prospect, Kanak is regarded as the nation's No. 253 overall player in the 247Sports Composite, making him the country's No. 10 ATH and the top overall prospect from the state of Kansas. He's one of the fastest and most athletic players in the 2022 class regardless of position, and is expected to play linebacker at Oklahoma.

10357644.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,off

(Photo: Kim Reel Photography)

247Sports recruiting analyst Allen Trieu penned Kanak's player evaluation, and likens him to NFL All-Pro Demario Davis. 

"Track guy who has run as fast as 10.37 at over 200 pounds," Trieu writes. "Multi-positional player in high school but future projection is most likely outside linebacker. Explosive player who has good burst, acceleration and obvious speed to pursue on defense. Ball skills he shows on offense should translate to defense where he should be a strong coverage backer if that is indeed where he ends up playing. Times his blitzes well, and when combined with his quickness, that allows him to penetrate and make plays in the backfield. He shows physicality as a blocker on offense which should translate to taking on blocks in college, although right now, we see him running free more on his high school film than needing to go through blockers. In general, there are few glaring weaknesses here, just a need to concentrate on one position and learn to play that spot. We assume he will easily add the weight needed to play linebacker but guys with his track speed and offensive background tend to be very succesful in making that transition."

https://247sports.com/Player/Jaren-Kanak-46102946/