OU Recruiting 2022: Abnormal Mutations in OUDNA

texifornia

38 minutes ago, quigley said:

JR Sandlin is now OU's "Director of Player Personnel & Recruiting." Lock = committment now, and the tweet above is from this PM.

OU was known to have 10 transfer recruits in town this weekend and one high school recruit (Josh Conerly, top OT in the nation--probably going to Washington or Michigan). One, DL Jeffery Johnson (Tulane), has already said he's going to OU. Here are the visitors separated by likelihood that they've committed.

More likely
DB Trey Morrison (UNC): 4 yr starter at CB,S,NB at various points; tiny, 5-9; Venables may have known him some from the ACC (Clemson played UNC in 2019)
DB CJ Coldon (Wyoming): 2nd team MWC, FWIW
DB Kani Walker (Louisville): Freshman in 2021; 1 tackle.
QB Chubba Purdy (FSU): Didn't play at FSU, which had tremendous QB issues in 2020 and 2021. Brother made comically poor decisions in high leverage situations.
OT Tyler Guyton (TCU): Freshman OT who can reverse dunk a basketball but may not be able to block other large humans

Less likely
TE Michael Trigg (USC): At Mississippi right now; mildly productive freshman yr; OU'll have playing time but he may follow Dart to Mississippi.
LB Drew Sanders (Bama): Likes Arkansas a lot apparently.
DL Mekhi Wingo (Miz): Already said he's still going to visit SC; visited LSU too. OU still in it.
QB Jaxson Dart (USC): At Mississippi right now; makes sense he'd go there.

Unless OU's anticipating an exodus from their DBs or they don't like their current S/NB candidates, I don't understand this strategy. The glaring need from the portal is WR, and they've brought zero in so far.

One of those locks may be this ‘22 kid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Anyone have a screenshot of how Drumm spun Sanders to Arkansas? Was he just so impressed by Venables that he felt it was disrespectful for him to take away development opportunities for other guys?

UT fans care more about what that dude says than I do.

Sanders would have been great because you always want talent, but OU's got options at LB and edge. Of the 10 visitors this weekend, Sanders ranks about 5-7 in terms of who I'd take (Dart, Wingo, Trigg, Conerly before him; then maybe Sanders or Guyton or Morrison).

UT needs him more so him going to Arkansas may be just fine. OU needs WR (at least 3!!), DL (1-2 more), OL (inside and OT, one each please), and another TE and QB. The coaches are bringing in DBs so I guess 1-2 of those too.

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

The history of getting QBs to the top of the first round just moved to Los Angeles in case you didn't notice. Your crusade to seem like Mr. Objective When It Comes to Oklahoma leads you to make some really weird posts. 

Well, no shit but Carl Williams is starting to figure out that he can't get big money, a great team, and a coach with QB development at the same place.  I can't imagine the roster at SC next year will be better than what OU had last season.  They have lot of people coming and going but most of them seem to be skill guys.  Do they have any linemen that are any good?  Georgia is his best bet but he runs the risk of backing up Stetson Bennett because, well, Kirby Smart.

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Well, no shit but Carl Williams is starting to figure out that he can't get big money, a great team, and a coach with QB development at the same place.  I can't imagine the roster at SC next year will be better than what OU had last season.  They have lot of people coming and going but most of them seem to be skill guys.  Do they have any linemen that are any good?  Georgia is his best bet but he runs the risk of backing up Stetson Bennett because, well, Kirby Smart.

No, they do not. Caleb should have stayed and played the hero roll. The situation at USC is way worse for him other than NIL. 

2 minutes ago, Constant said:

No, they do not. Caleb should have stayed and played the hero roll. The situation at USC is way worse for him other than NIL. 

Also, throw in CW is only playing two more years and at least one of those years at SC are rebuilding years.  

He may be bros with LR but OU has a trash schedule next season.  He stays there and they easily go 11-1 and he puts up big stats.  One more season and they the goes pro.  To your point, though, SC is a much worse roster situation than most any other big time team.

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I did have a top 10 lifetime sandwich in OKC. Banh mi from Quoc Bao Bakery, ate it on the hood of my truck, absolutely fucking dynamite. It was on a baguette instead of a hero roll, though.

Try that hero roll next time. It goes from 33 to 55 real quick. 

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Also, throw in CW is only playing two more years and at least one of those years at SC are rebuilding years.  

He may be bros with LR but OU has a trash schedule next season.  He stays there and they easily go 11-1 and he puts up big stats.  One more season and they the goes pro.  To your point, though, SC is a much worse roster situation than most any other big time team.

is a

4 minutes ago, Constant said:

As he should. Worst performing group going back several years. 

Agreed. Though part of it seemed to be the same problem Texas had last year - coaches sticking with “their guys” despite them being clearly outplayed by younger more athletic players. Fields was one of the worst defenders I’ve seen at OU and nothing was getting him off the field. 

I don’t see guys like Washington and McCutchin being recruited by BV going forward. Tiny frames and a lack of physicality. 

• Hook 'Em 1

From OU's "Portal Weekend"

4 "locks" have been tweeted out so I assume they've taken one more at least. There have been scatted high school visitors to so the remains "lock(s)"  could be for a high school player.

More likely
DB Kani Walker (Louisville): Freshman in 2021; 1 tackle. ? recruited by Safeties coach Brandon Hall in high school
DL Jeffery Johnson (Tulane)

DB Trey Morrison (UNC): 4 yr starter at CB,S,NB at various points; tiny, 5-9; Venables may have known him some from the ACC (Clemson played UNC in 2019)
QB Chubba Purdy (FSU): Didn't play at FSU, which had tremendous QB issues in 2020 and 2021. Brother made comically poor decisions in high leverage situations.
OT Tyler Guyton (TCU): Freshman OT who can reverse dunk a basketball but may not be able to block other large humans

Less likely
TE Michael Trigg (USC): At Mississippi right now; mildly productive freshman yr; OU'll have playing time but he may follow Dart to Mississippi.
LB Drew Sanders (Bama): Hogs
DL Mekhi Wingo (Miz): Already said he's still going to visit SC; visited LSU too. OU still in it.
QB Jaxson Dart (USC): At Mississippi right now; makes sense he'd go there

Remaining needs
WR: 3     (0 taken)
OL: 1-2   (1 taken)
TE: 1     (1 taken)
QB: 1     (1 taken)

DL: 1-2   (2 taken)
DB: ?     (2 taken)

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Venables haaaates that DB room, doesn't he

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Agreed. Though part of it seemed to be the same problem Texas had last year - coaches sticking with “their guys” despite them being clearly outplayed by younger more athletic players. Fields was one of the worst defenders I’ve seen at OU and nothing was getting him off the field. 

I don’t see guys like Washington and McCutchin being recruited by BV going forward. Tiny frames and a lack of physicality. 

I think we should separate safety/nickel and CB play.

The safety and nickel personnel, coaching, and productivity were baffling and poor. Of all my qualms with Grinch, the performance of the unit he was directly responsible for was the greatest. Turner-Yell was serviceable, but Pat Fields, Justin Broiles, and Bookie were overmatched for their responsibilities.

This was obvious at the time. Understanding that, Grinch had a few choices: change responsibilities, change personnel, or improve current personnel.  We saw none of these changes. We saw the same unit go out there and make the same errors week after week, season after season. Maddening.

Compared to that fiasco, CB position was relatively improved vs the Mike Stoops era (a very low bar). OU CB were middle of the pack for B12 team, meaning they weren't horrid like the S/NB, just underperfoming. CB coach Manning recruited relatively well making the persistent subpar performance of this group frustrating for a slightly different reason.

McCutchin's an interesting case study. As I understand it, Bama commit, got hurt, and Bama drops him. OU gets him betting his athleticism will be preserved, and it is. I rewatched the OU-Nebraska game a couple of weeks ago. McCutchin is RIDICULOUSLY lost many times. How much is it on Manning for not getting him in the right position, not knowing McC is lost, and how much is it on McCutchin for running in circles?

The great thing is that WE WILL LEARN. Manning is going to likely bring Domani Jackson (top 10 player nationally) and 2 other top 200 players at CB (Florence and Ross) this year to USC. It'll be interesting to watch their progress.

The reason I'm surprised OU's taking portal DBs is that there are players who have looked okay in limited run who'd I'd like to see more of before tossing them aside. Eaton wasn't as lost as McCutchin (but got less playing time). I wonder if Bowman is going to play offense, but he was definitely better than Broiles at NB. Criddell, Washington, Dennis? We just don't know.

I just looked through OU’s 2022 in more detail and Riley just totally screwed them. There are so many red flags in that class and dating back to the 2021 class:

• The first thing that stands out is their top 2 ranked signees are both RB’s. If they are able to hold onto Gentry Williams (CB) that will change but this 2022 class is ranked 10th right now seems to be heavily slanted towards skill positions.
  • Kobie Mckinize is the only defensive player ranked in the top 200 players in the country and he is a tweener.
  • They signed two defensive lineman and both are ranked outside the top 500 in the country. I can see why Venables is attacking the portal hard there.
  • Lincoln only signed 16 HS kids last cycle and they are about to sign another small HS class this cycle. Not a recipe for success. I’m gonna assume they want to take a full 25 in 2023.
  • Two of their top 3 ranked players in the 2021 class already left (Caleb and Mario Williams)

Venables is going to really need to hit on some portal guys defensively. The roster is not in a favorable spot and this doesn’t even include anyone who might bounce between now and fall camp. 

41 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I just looked through OU’s 2022 in more detail and Riley just totally screwed them. There are so many red flags in that class and dating back to the 2021 class:

• The first thing that stands out is their top 2 ranked signees are both RB’s. If they are able to hold onto Gentry Williams (CB) that will change but this 2022 class is ranked 10th right now seems to be heavily slanted towards skill positions.
  • Kobie Mckinize is the only defensive player ranked in the top 200 players in the country and he is a tweener.
  • They signed two defensive lineman and both are ranked outside the top 500 in the country. I can see why Venables is attacking the portal hard there.
  • Lincoln only signed 16 HS kids last cycle and they are about to sign another small HS class this cycle. Not a recipe for success. I’m gonna assume they want to take a full 25 in 2023.
  • Two of their top 3 ranked players in the 2021 class already left (Caleb and Mario Williams)

Venables is going to really need to hit on some portal guys defensively. The roster is not in a favorable spot and this doesn’t even include anyone who might bounce between now and fall camp. 

Yes. Everyone knows, and this is why a larger portion of the fanbase hates him.

Venables agrees with you about the DL, and the Alamo Bowl made it clear. The old OU staff knew too. They had commitments from DT ranked 16th nationally (now A&M) and DE ranked 79th nationally (Michigan). They were in good position with an edge who is 22 (Georgia). In response, Venables has taken 2 portal DT and may take a third. He's signed one high school DT and will likely sign another plus 1-2 DE.

Some amendments:

The high school class will probably end up in the low 20 - 22. They've taken at least 6 portal players (at least one is undeclared). They may take 6 - 10 more.

"Heavily slanted toward skill positions" fails to account for only 9 WR on campus, including 2 freshmen who'll likely suck like most Fr WR do, and only 4 RB on campus, 2 freshmen plus 2 guys who'll leave at the end of 2022.

Unless McKinize is Micah Parsons (he isn't), he's likely an edge player. They have plenty of edge players and that position is likely devalued with Venables defense anyway (I was wondering about the fuss about McKenzie flipping to UT and Sanders to OU). The LB class is good, possibly really good longterm because they have 3 guys who project to what Venables really likes (Lewis, Kanak, Rowe).

DL is going to be a complete make over from the lighter quicker guys Grinch wanted vs what Venables wants (massive quick guys--basically freaks that are day 1-2 draft picks who everyone wants). Venables and Bates think they can get them at OU.

4 "locks" have been tweeted and 4 commits.

More likely
DB Kani Walker (Louisville): Freshman in 2021; 1 tackle. ? recruited by Safeties coach Brandon Hall in high school

Less likely

Remaining needs

DB: ?     (3 taken)

23 minutes ago, quigley said:

4 "locks" have been tweeted and 4 commits.

More likely

Less likely

Remaining needs

DB: ?     (3 taken)

We will do a 3 for 1 portal trade. Marvin Mims for Montrell Estelle, Kai Money, and Joshua Moore.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Had not heard blOU was even after Purdy ???

I'm not sure that OU's really sweating him going to Nebraska. FSU played a guy with one leg ahead of Purdy.

From Purdy's perspective, would you rather compete with another new QB, Casey Thompson, or with a QB who already has experience in the offense that the new OC runs?

2 hours ago, Fud said:

The USC on3 mod said that, and then said a day later that he was visiting, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This could be a lot more complex. It might not be just a simple...you know.
- Lebowski

There is a book to be written here. Maybe not a good one, but we get the book that we deserve.

Here's what we know:
McCutchin commits to play for OU and be coached by an incompetent CB coach (Manning).
Manning proceeds to put McCutchin on the field, and McCutchin gets toasted multiple times in several games.
It was so bad, McCutchin's DAD goes to Twitter to criticize the OU defensive coaches, and McCutchin gets benched.

McCutchin leaves OU, takes a pic with I'm supposing mom and sister saying he's going to SC saying "It's my life."

Here's what I'm guessing...
1. "It's my life" is directed at his dad.
2. Manning was such a good CB coach that he's coaching LBs now so SC basically telling McCutchin,
"We put in position to fail last year, but hey now we're going to help you be great for reals."
3. If the SC coaches can screw up a guy publicly for a year
and THEN GET HIM TO PLAY FOR THEM AGAIN (!!!), it bodes really well for the SC staff's ability to get players to South Central.

13 minutes ago, kilroydos said:

Also true, and they've got a new guy coaching his position, so that means something.  I'm sure he'll improve next season.

But that's the point. By getting someone else to coach CBs now, the SC coaches are admitting to lying the first time.

If Manning was so great as a CB coach, why is he not coaching the position now? Why would you go play for a group who's lied to you once already?

Regardless, unless @golfclap is right, that this is a McCutchin-specific situation, I impressed by the SC coaching staff's ability to hoodwink recruits.

33 minutes ago, quigley said:

This could be a lot more complex. It might not be just a simple...you know.
- Lebowski

There is a book to be written here. Maybe not a good one, but we get the book that we deserve.

Here's what we know:
McCutchin commits to play for OU and be coached by an incompetent CB coach (Manning).
Manning proceeds to put McCutchin on the field, and McCutchin gets toasted multiple times in several games.
It was so bad, McCutchin's DAD goes to Twitter to criticize the OU defensive coaches, and McCutchin gets benched.

McCutchin leaves OU, takes a pic with I'm supposing mom and sister saying he's going to SC saying "It's my life."

2. Manning was such a good CB coach that he's coaching LBs now so SC basically telling McCutchin,
"We put in position to fail last year, but hey now we're going to help you be great for reals."
3. If the SC coaches can screw up a guy publicly for a year
and THEN GET HIM TO PLAY FOR THEM AGAIN (!!!), it bodes really well for the SC staff's ability to get players to South Central.

I took his original post as meaning that USC wasn't interested on their end

18 minutes ago, quigley said:

But that's the point. By getting someone else to coach CBs now, the SC coaches are admitting to lying the first time.

If Manning was so great as a CB coach, why is he not coaching the position now? Why would you go play for a group who's lied to you once already?

Regardless, unless @golfclap is right, that this is a McCutchin-specific situation, I impressed by the SC coaching staff's ability to hoodwink recruits.

Idk about other guys, but I’d be pretty surprised if McCurchin had a better offer than USC on the table. 

18 minutes ago, quigley said:

It's a hoodwink game, man.  Drew Sanders was told in no uncertain terms how his career would go at Alabama at LB, then it happened, now he's transferred.  It's going to happen again and again with the top-flight schools who can recruit over very talented players.  The closers close and the players who get scraped off are the ones to pay the price.

2 hours ago, quigley said:

I just assumed he was a Bon Jovi fan.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Haha 1