Texas Basketball Recruiting Notes: Shaka Edition

cdain3

3 minutes ago, RabidM said:

$6.2 million ain't much, but combine that with Shaka's buyout if he doesn't find a soft landing and it's all the sudden closer to $20 million.  Not so chump changey anymore.  

20M is chump change if they believe Beard is the answer. 

I personally do not think this is the way CDC wants to do business, all Shaka had to do was make the tournament and CDC could ignore the cracks in the Shaka's foundation. Now this NIT run shows fan apathy, the attendance in Austin and NYC has been horrid.

30 minutes ago, Goodman said:

20M is chump change if they believe Beard is the answer. 

It is amazing people think this. If $20 million was chump change they would go offer $10 million a year to somebody like Coach Cal or Tony Bennett. 

Edited by texasstrong12

On 4/3/2019 at 9:53 PM, texasstrong12 said:

Derka will love this news. 

" I won't begin to diminish what it meant to sign him, but he alone isn't enough to justify giving Jai Lucas a top assistant position."

LonghornMatt will be happy too. 

"Who is the best player the Lucas family has delivered to us?  Maybe I’m forgetting someone obvious, but in the now decade that we’ve been associated with them the biggest name I think of is Sheldon McClellan, who was a top 40ish recruit and ended up benefiting Miami more than us.

It seems like that Lucas connection has primarily produced a bunch of JAGs that we could have gotten anyway.  Guys like Justice Winslow and Julius Randle are who they should be delivering.

It reminds me of when Lute Olson got in bed with the Pastners and Houston Hoops, and then proceeded to get a bunch of JAGs from Houston as their program tanked."

Jarrett allen 

On 4/4/2019 at 12:27 PM, Goodman said:

Fuck, I used to like Buzz.

IMO Jai will have success recruiting to aggie, the unwritten sec rules allow him to make offers  he's not been able to make while here.

I can't really look past this comment. There have been no hindances to landing whoever the Texas basketball program wanted to land of any sort but for the players' own desires, or their handler's, to go elsewhere. That's been the case since the early days of the Barnes era.

On 4/2/2019 at 4:10 PM, Goo Punch said:

ATLANTA – One of the top forward prospects in the 2021 class,  KJ Adams has continued to improve and top local powers have noticed. Following his time at the Underclassmen All-American Camp, Adams discussed his first year at Westlake High School, his newest offer, and the two in-state programs that have caught his eye.

Adams, a hard-playing and competitive small forward, understands what he does best. 

“No one can take away how hard that I play,” he said. “I think, I play the hardest and am good whenever I am aggressive and go to the rim first, which opens up my 3-point shot, definitely, but I feel like I am more of a slasher type of player.”

Earlier this month, Tennessee jumped in with an offer, as SMUTCUTexas, and Texas A&M have already done as such, he told Rivals.com.

IN HIS OWN WORDS

Tennessee: “My relationship with coach Rob Lanier. I knew him whenever he was at Texas. Not from a recruiting standpoint but we had a great relationship and just knowing that he has my back and that Rick Barneshas a tremendous background, that stuff really stands out, along with how well they did this year.”

Texas: “I go to a lot of Texas games. I have a good relationship with coach Shaka Smart. I have gone down there a few times to watch some good basketball. Shaka really pounds on, not just the basketball side but, before he even gave me an offer, he talked to me about just myself out of basketball, school wise and my relationship with my teammates.

“I wouldn’t say that they are my childhood dream since my mom is an Aggie but it is definitely something that kids look for, that is playing for the hometown school and it is a good idea but I have a long way to go, too.”

Texas A&M: “The history and my mom went there, she tells me all about it. The traditions that they have stand out all of the time and that is what they are all about. I like that about them. Being a Texas kid, I am going to keep looking for them.”

RIVALS' REACTION

Adams will be found on the Nike circuit this spring and summer with the Team Griffin program. In the meantime, expect for his recruitment to expand. He is competitive and improving, and can play a variety of positions. 

I don’t have any visits lined up currently but I have a lot of interest from Kentucky and North Carolina, so I am just looking to see what my parents and my mentor is telling me and it will grow from there,” he said

I can see Adams at a school like Virginia and end up taking the De'Andre Hunter route of being redshirted, but turning into an NBA prospect in 3 or 4 years. Bennett seems to have an eye for that sort of thing. They redshirt players like crazy on that Virginia roster. 

On 4/3/2019 at 3:09 PM, Goo Punch said:

I see Baker as a four year project who needs to continue to see exponential growth for at least two years before he's someone we can really look to as an every-game contributor. His physical body is flat out unimpressive and there have been questions about his work ethic and desire. He's tall, he has good footwork and a pretty soft touch, but I don't see him being an impact player for a while, and in all honesty o question Shaka's staff's ability to coach him up, both as a player, as well as S&C wise

I don't understand this critique. Front court players are the one area where this staff has shown consistent ability to "coach him up"

31 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't understand this critique. Front court players are the one area where this staff has shown consistent ability to "coach him up"

eh. still been inconsistent and underwhelming, and still hard to judge because all of our best bigs have been one-and-done talent. more specifically, all of our guys (including our big men) have failed to lose their bad habits under Shaka and his staff.

•DO still can't hit a layup and up until the last few games of his career here he still had issues with decision making (getting caught in his head instead of just playing) and being too tentative. 

•Speaking of which, Jericho Sims is still way too timid way too often for a guy at the end of his second year. His basketball improvement has been minimal as well.

•Kerwin Roach- spazzy, with poor decision making and mental breakdowns in crunch time throughout his entire career.

•Matt Coleman- still struggles with decision making and with running the half court offense

I could really keep going on and on but I won't. Our big men have been our best players but they've also been our best/most talented players to begin with. None of them have really added anything to their game during their time here that sticks out in my mind.

2 minutes ago, gatchaman said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/marquette/2019/04/15/hauser-brothers-transferring-marquette/3474703002/

Sounds like great news for us

Sam, a 6-foot-8 junior, was a second-team all-Big East selection and averaged 14.9 points per game while shooting 40.2% on three-pointers. He will not be a graduate transfer, so he will sit one season and then be eligible for one at his next school.

Joey, a 6-9 redshirt freshman, averaged 9.7 points and 5.3 rebounds while shooting 42.5% on threes. He will sit next season as a transfer and then will be able to play two more unless he can get a medical waiver for his redshirt season and be able to play another one.

Edited by texifornia

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Neither Sam nor Joey are eligible to play at Texas for 2019-2020 season.  Surprising that the Hauser's would bet their careers that Shaka will still be at Texas after next season.....

Question:  In college basketball, if a Head Coach is fired or leaves a program, can players leave that school via the transfer portal  and then be eligible to play immediately??

40 minutes ago, texifornia said:

34 minutes ago, Nowhichski said:

Big news. 

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Neither Sam nor Joey are eligible to play at Texas for 2019-2020 season.  Surprising that the Hauser's would bet their careers that Shaka will still be at Texas after next season.....

Question:  In college basketball, if a Head Coach is fired or leaves a program, can players leave that school via the transfer portal  and then be eligible to play immediately??

I haven't seen this confirmed anywhere else.

Justin Wells: Five-star SF Greg Brown talks Texas

Vandegrift High School in Austin has one of the top basketball prospects in the nation, 2020 small forward Greg Brown.

If you follow hoops, you already know about the UT legacy - his father Greg played safety at Texas. You know he’s 6-foot-9, and might be the closest thing to Tracy McGrady I’ve seen at this level.

You also know every school in the country wants his services, despite the near certainty he’s a one-and-done.

Texas coach Shaka Smart has built this relationship for over two years. The staff stopped by to see the budding superstar for an in-home visit.

“All the coaches on the staff came and coach Smart was talking about how they really want me at Texas and how well I fit in their system,” said Brown.

He’s a fit in any system that involves a basketball and a rim. He’s long with freakish athleticism. He’s an elite finisher in transition and in a set offense. His shooting has improved every year. He’s also a strong defender of the rim, and will only get better as he fills out (185 pounds).

“Three things I need,” said Brown. “A great relationship with my coach, good relationship with the players and a great role on the team.”

It doesn’t seem like too much to ask. The stability of Smart’s position in Austin will be a factor in this recruitment. A new coach after next season might throw this recruitment off.

With North Carolina looking like the early leader, and Kansas squarely in the mix, UT continues to pound the stone. This is a kid that could make an immediate impact as a freshman for any program in 2020.

“I’m just focused on getting better right now and I'm going to cut the list down soon,” Brown said.

Texas will make his top schools list. After that, it’s all up in the air. Smart and his staff have been surprisingly successful with the nation’s elite talent during his time tenure.

That, the legacy, the relationship, and proximity makes me think the Horns have a good shot.

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

If this happens (which I still doubt) I would bet anything they are applying for a waiver. 

The NCAA is handing out immediate eligibility like it's candy.