The court vs. the USPS

Gil Bang

sounds like the judge is pissed.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/federal-judge-sullivan-usps-louis-dejoy-mail-voting-problems-2020-11

A federal judge said he would force US Postmaster General Louis DeJoy to testify in court about how the US Postal Service handled the election, saying he'd depose him if necessary.

He made the comments in a hearing Wednesday afternoon, in a lawsuit brought over how the USPS has handled the 2020 election amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"The postmaster's going to have to be deposed or appear before me," Judge Emmet Sullivan said at the hearing.

Sullivan expressed fury at the USPS's performance, accusing them of slow-walking responses to his orders, and saying the agency has not effectively communicated with its own lawyers throughout the case.

He has asked Kevin Bray, the USPS official who oversees the mail-in ballot process for this year's election, to appear in court Wednesday afternoon. When Justice Department lawyer Joseph Evan Borson said he'd check with Bray's schedule to see what time he's available, Emmet cut him off.

"You will have to tell him when he's available," Emmet fumed. "It's up to the court when he's available."

more at the link

• Hook 'Em 1

As it should be.  Disabling sorting machines and quashing overtime rules...and being fucking stupid enough to tell everyone that that's what you're doing...plainly looks like you're trying to sandbag the election.  They KNEW they'd have a crush of business, and DeJoy basically made them do it with one hand tied behind their backs.  

I'm not sure what the charge would be for fucking with the election like this, but DeJoy, who instigated all the changes, should go to jail for it.  Fuck that guy. 

8 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

sounds like the judge is pissed.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/federal-judge-sullivan-usps-louis-dejoy-mail-voting-problems-2020-11

A federal judge said he would force US Postmaster General Louis DeJoy to testify in court about how the US Postal Service handled the election, saying he'd depose him if necessary.

He made the comments in a hearing Wednesday afternoon, in a lawsuit brought over how the USPS has handled the 2020 election amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"The postmaster's going to have to be deposed or appear before me," Judge Emmet Sullivan said at the hearing.

Sullivan expressed fury at the USPS's performance, accusing them of slow-walking responses to his orders, and saying the agency has not effectively communicated with its own lawyers throughout the case.

He has asked Kevin Bray, the USPS official who oversees the mail-in ballot process for this year's election, to appear in court Wednesday afternoon. When Justice Department lawyer Joseph Evan Borson said he'd check with Bray's schedule to see what time he's available, Emmet cut him off.

"You will have to tell him when he's available," Emmet fumed. "It's up to the court when he's available."

more at the link

Asking because I don't know.   What happens if DeJoy and the USPS just ignores the judge?  trump's administration ignores everything with zero consequences. 

3 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Asking because I don't know.   What happens if DeJoy and the USPS just ignores the judge?  trump's administration ignores everything with zero consequences. 

They already ignored the judge's order. This hearing is about why they did that. Don't know what consequences could come of it

11 minutes ago, Stella Link said:

Don't know about the mail-in ballots, but my experience the past few months is the mail is totally f'ed up.

My experience mailing wedding invitations several years ago (pre-Trump) would lead me to believe that about 90% of mail gets to where it is supposed to go.  I’m sure intentional fuckery could lower that number significantly.

Edited by conVINCEd
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

They already ignored the judge's order. This hearing is about why they did that. Don't know what consequences could come of it

First he will determine whether their noncompliance with his order was more accidental or more intentional.  Then he can hold various officials in contempt, including running fines and possibly even incarceration until some prescribed event, like delivering all the ballots to the proper polling location.

the optics of federal marshals arresting the postmaster general represented by the dept of justice under contempt orders from a federal court for refusing to show up after admitting he ordered the organization to effectively disable itself in order to materially influence a presidential election...is something i guess i kind of expected as a consequence of the rampant corruption that accompanies a trump presidency.  but it is still something rather amazing.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Stella Link said:

Don't know about the mail-in ballots, but my experience the past few months is the mail is totally f'ed up.

Not here.  I got a new flyer from Carrie Isaacs every fucking day for about a month, and then yesterday and today, didn't get one.

• Haha 1