What did the Biden win mean to you?

Thatguy

52 minutes ago, Gunsup said:

Biden did a better job in 15 minutes speaking about the Bible than Trump did in 4 years, and he means what he says (I hope).  I really can't fathom how evangelicals could follow someone who's actions go against everything Jesus himself would do (or not do).  

Man, I'm right there with you.

But ever since the Republican Party co-opted the "pro life" platform (even if it was only a smoke screen for their real investment in maintaining tax exempt status and maintaining the ability to be segregated) the language is "I can't ever vote for those baby-killers". People killers, sure... but not baby killers.

I can't edit the post after awhile, and stupid me, didn't proof it before I hit submit. I realized upon reading it that one cannot always get 'tone' in text and it reads as if the vote was a benevolent white suburban mom bestowing her vote for the win. Not my vote nor my intent with the writing. What I hope(d) to express is that a Biden win meant that others in America need the opportunities, freedoms, and recognition that I have had and that we together, with all of the differences and many of the similarities should build the future together.

17 hours ago, Mole said:

My hope is that the evangelical church will eventually repent. It’s a long shot, but they’ve killed the church’s witness in America. They’re rightly seen as cruel, selfish, and degenerate. Maybe seeing a decent man quoting scripture and talking about healing and reconciliation will remind them of what the gospel is. Or maybe they’ve grown too accustomed to the ticking of their ears with hatred and greed. Time will tell.

They won't.  They'll just move on and find the next "principled conservative" who gives them cover to hate nonwhites and gays without saying the quiet parts loud. 

23 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

I’m Mexican 

Seriously though, my apologies. Just making the obvious point that white, educated, relatively successful men aren't usually personally, materially affected by who is in the White House in a dramatic way... which probably accounts for like 75% of this site. My bad for making assumptions that it also accounted for you.

40 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Seriously though, my apologies. Just making the obvious point that white, educated, relatively successful men aren't usually personally, materially affected by who is in the White House in a dramatic way... which probably accounts for like 75% of this site. My bad for making assumptions that it also accounted for you.

I was trying to explain to my wife over the weekend why, despite facebook posts and social chatter, this means nothing to her or us or our family. This is temporary, just as Trump was temporary, and ultimately we might pay a little more in taxes if I'm able to crack the 400k mark. If that happens you should feel blessed, not bitter at having to pay more.

Mostly this has cemented for me the fact that American politics is so broken (e.g. one federal government can't possibly represent efficiently a large geographic/regional disparity of 350mm plus people) that we are going to be a constant pendulum.

45% voted for Trump-- after the 4 years he showed. That should be eye-opening.

45% were voting Biden no matter what.

The independents deciding elections is a crazy methodology or architecture, in my opinion.

Biden wins, democrats and liberals celebrate for a while and then spend 4-8 years trying to dodge and shield against personal and political attacks about why the suck, then we will over-correct and youll get a Bush or Trump like politician in, and run that play again. On and on, ad nauseam.

"The first of the line is tied to a tree and the last is being eaten by the ants" - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Edited by DonkeyCigars

2 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I was trying to explain to my wife over the weekend why, despite facebook posts and social chatter, this means nothing to her or us or our family.

Right, but a decent part of the country isn't "us." That was my point.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Right, but a decent part of the country isn't "us." That was my point.

45% is. 

That was my point. To further the point:

This country is too big and disparate across values (and value chains) and beliefs and desires and goals/ideals. There is no shared value anymore. This isn't 1940 with a 1/10 of the population and a closed-system of data/information to inform and solidify thoughts and ideas.

This will always lead to a division and conflict will never go away, I think.

Edited by DonkeyCigars

4 years ago I voted against Hillary Clinton.  I underestimated the damage that a Donald J. Trump could to to this country.  I was wrong.  I kept pointing the finger at the democrats - "the best you could come up with was the Clinton machine?  It's Hillary's fault that Donald fucking Trump is president!
Oh boy was I wrong - and I've been kicking myself for the last 3 years.  Anyway. . .
My brilliant younger sister was a presidential inten the summer prior to Monica Lewinsky, then law school,  then a lawyer for the FTC, then an associate parliamentarian of the US House of Representatives.  She's the family token liberal.  I've got a photo of her sitting at a conference room table with Bill Clinton and Al Gore and I'll always cherish the earnest idealism in her eyes.
Being the lawyer/referee for the HOR seems glamourous - and it is -  until you wake up at 11pm in the house chamber hearing some freshman representative of no particular importance drone on and on having their pet cause read into the congressional record, and you realize that you're missing out on your kids lives.  She resigned from the House to go play full time mom for a few years and to run some marathons, always intending to return to law practice.  I always loved the fact that I could see her on C-span, sitting in the parliamentarian's pew to the right of the dais, finger on the mute button ready to cut off the legislator unlucky enough to run afoul of House precedent.
Then at 37 she had an ischemic stroke and experienced partial paralysis in her entire right side.  She's done quite a bit of physical and occupational therapy and the biggest lasting effect besides a paralyzed right hand (she's a lefty) is being unable to smile with her right lip and now she talks a little flat, like a Canadian.  Though a member of the Texas and DC bar, she never took the Oregon bar exam and to my mother's horror she's now a lowly legal secretary to the US Attorney in Portland, Oregon - a job that she really loves and allows flexibility for her to still stay super engaged with my nephews' activities.  At that courthouse that Donald J. Trump decided to make ground zero in his attempts to escalate the BLM protests this past summer.
Our summer 2020 conversations were surreal - she was unenthusiastically writing up charges against the people shooting fireworks at the Federal Courthouse, and loathing Bill Barr who wanted them all charged with sedition.  On the weekends, she took my nephews to protests - and had them chanting "No Justice, No Peace, No Racist Police."  The US Attorney, Billy Williams, was content to let protesters be heard, and in several threads I mentioned some emails that were shared with me where he basically said "we need to let these people be heard, we can remove spray paint and fix windows, that's a small price to pay."
Then Trump sent in his goons to escalate things, and we all saw how that turned out.
Tonight I'm so very happy that Biden won, mainly for my sister who still believes in and is dedicated to government service, and her colleagues at the Justice Dept.

My sister worked for new Biden Chief of Staff Ron Klain when he was Al Gore's chief of staff.

Her thoughts on his style:

"Very Good. Super level headed and experienced"

Can't find anyone like that in the current white house.