Markets still falling like whoa

9 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I know it’s not your call and it’s no slight on you but maybe if school districts valued teachers over football stadiums they could pay enough to never worry about vacancies.  Hell, in my perfect world teachers would be about the highest paid profession in the country.

For AISD, it's not football stadiums, it's the $500M+ annual check we pay for other districts to build water parks and upgrade their football stadiums.

45 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Today is the 34th anniversary of Black Monday, when the DOW dropped 508 points (22.6%), by far the biggest single day sell-off in stock market history.

An equivalent in today's market would be an 8,012 point hit to the DOW.

man that is some perspective, 22% is a mighty drop

19 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Today is the 34th anniversary of Black Monday, when the DOW dropped 508 points (22.6%), by far the biggest single day sell-off in stock market history.

An equivalent in today's market would be an 8,012 point hit to the DOW.

The only thing that prevented me from going full out panic was that there wasn't online access like there is today, nor was there social media to pour gasoline onto the burning fire. My funds, at that time were all in a 401k, that had limited investment options and you could transfer between fund only at the start of each quarter.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

The only thing that prevented me from going full out panic was that there wasn't online access like there is today, nor was there social media to pour gasoline onto the burning fire. My funds, at that time were all in a 401k, that had limited investment options and you could transfer between fund only at the start of each quarter.

You would have bought the dip, though.

I keep a relatively concentrated portfolio. Majority in index funds, with a smattering of individual big names. Always fun to see your individual stocks turning your portfolio into bloodbath when the market is up.

PayPal wants to buy Pinterest? Are you kidding me?

3 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I keep a relatively concentrated portfolio. Majority in index funds, with a smattering of individual big names. Always fun to see your individual stocks turning your portfolio into bloodbath when the market is up.

PayPal wants to buy Pinterest? Are you kidding me?

sounds some really bizarre fake news. 

used the dip on Paypal to open a long call spread on Paypal, expiring Friday 250/255C for a cost of 2.85 in premiums.  Breakeven price is then 252.85.  A finish above 255 would be profit of 2.15 (75% returns in 2 days). 

That spread is worth ~4 right now so 43% return so far...holding out for 65-70% :)

Considered doing a calendar spread on Pinterest as well because the front tenor jumped in volatility.  Sell Friday's 65C for ~1.15, buy December's 65C for ~4... collect lots of good premium

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

sounds some really bizarre fake news. 

used the dip on Paypal to open a long call spread on Paypal, expiring Friday 250/255C for a cost of 2.85 in premiums.  Breakeven price is then 252.85.  A finish above 255 would be profit of 2.15 (75% returns in 2 days). 

That spread is worth ~4 right now so 43% return so far...holding out for 65-70% :)

Considered doing a calendar spread on Pinterest as well because the front tenor jumped in volatility.  Sell Friday's 65C for ~1.15, buy December's 65C for ~4... collect lots of good premium

i like turtles GIF

22 hours ago, 52-80 said:

This position is now at 70% loss by the way.  So I got that going for me.  Which is nice.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

I bought a small number of shares on the dip, and then bought some $245 calls right around there. I feel like an idiot at the moment.

Love seeing a 15% spread between Square's gains and PayPal's losses in the past two days.  More than $30 billion in market cap wiped out from this dumb acquisition talk.

Market at new highs and I'm not joining in. It's among my smaller positions, but still big enough to make me underperform. Don't know why I own any individual stocks. Seems like everything I own has sputtered since late July but my index funds have done well. Frustrating.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

FB down big on the SNAP news that the Apple privacy feature is hurting their business. GOOGL down about 2.5%. Tomorrow seems like it may be a not so good day for technology.

Great timing on the PINS merger PayPal. It is down 3% on the SNAP news.

Seems like a cool little trade and compelling chart.

Although, as someone that's been hit hard on every fucking individual holding as of late, I hope you're wrong and the market goes up 2% with individual names up 5%.

On 10/22/2021 at 6:28 PM, FirstTimeCaller said:

Seems like a cool little trade and compelling chart.

Although, as someone that's been hit hard on every fucking individual holding as of late, I hope you're wrong and the market goes up 2% with individual names up 5%.

This week's gamble flamed out at a 75% loss. Options are cheap enough with vol low that I'll keep at it. Too much shit going on in the country with budget shit, china shit, inflation shit, energy shit etc... that the market will spook one of these weekends. I'm up pretty decent on the day myself, so its not like I'm going to completely offset a crash.  Just a little gamble that I cant resist. been profitable for me in the past, but  we'll see if it continues  to be so. 

Tesla is just insane and that's a huge rental car order.

Meanwhile, PayPal has rumors of buying Pinterest -- drops $30. Sale is off? Up $7.50 and just kind of fading as the day goes on.

59 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Tesla is just insane and that's a huge rental car order.

Meanwhile, PayPal has rumors of buying Pinterest -- drops $30. Sale is off? Up $7.50 and just kind of fading as the day goes on.

I read that Pinterest was game for this but PayPal board was never bought in and quickly cooled and this was all rumor and won't happen. $45bn is expensive.

35 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I read that Pinterest was game for this but PayPal board was never bought in and quickly cooled and this was all rumor and won't happen. $45bn is expensive.

Who knows. But I think shareholders voted with their dollars. It's a silly potential merger. 

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Who knows. But I think shareholders voted with their dollars. It's a silly potential merger. 

I mean, I can see the merit. I read this interesting stat:

Pinterest has a large audience (454m users) that is primarily female and creates content for commerce-friendly verticals like fashion and home decor, according to Bloomberg.

Right now, the platform makes most of its money with ads, but it’s very under-monetized. By comparison, Facebook has 47x the revenue of Pinterest with only 6x as many users.

With resources and backing from PayPal, Pinterest could build on-platform ecommerce tools (think of how users make purchases within Instagram). PayPal would get a 2.9% payment fee on any transaction.

I could see where if you are the board/shareholders, you are looking at making a big bet and getting some drags off the cigar.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:50 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

I know it’s not your call and it’s no slight on you but maybe if school districts valued teachers over football stadiums they could pay enough to never worry about vacancies.  Hell, in my perfect world teachers would be about the highest paid profession in the country.

Maybe they do.  With today's school finance system, we'll never know.

The money to pay teachers and the money to build buildings come out of two different budgets.  Most school districts are taxing at the maximum amount they can for the teacher budget, and in places like Austin ISD it does not matter because Robin Hood takes all the extra money for teachers and gives it to the state.  Most districts are maxed out.

The bond packages you do vote on pay for buildings, and you do see people voting for those.  Low borrowing costs have driven down the cost of building that stuff so a district can build a football stadium at historically low borrowing costs.  Or repair buildings, or buy other capital stuff.  But they can't give more money to teachers.  They could do something like drop all athletics and spend more on science teachers, but I'm sure that will never happen.

To pay teachers more we really need to allow districts to raise their O&M tax rates (the teacher part).  Changing the Robin Hood formula would allow Austin teachers to earn enough to live within driving distance of their school.

7 hours ago, DonkeyCigars said:

I mean, I can see the merit. I read this interesting stat:

I could see where if you are the board/shareholders, you are looking at making a big bet and getting some drags off the cigar.

so ad multiple per user is 7.8x , but thats not adjusted for stickiness, profiling effectiveness, etc.  a company that knows really precisely who a person is .... vs a company that knows what images they pin... their ad rev rate seems appropriate.

Re: Pinterest/PayPal -- It's not the Pinterest business that I have issue with. It's who is buying it. It would be like Walmart buying an amusement park or John Deere getting into bitcoin mining. Pinterest may be a great asset, but it's nowhere near PayPal's wheelhouse.

16 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Re: Pinterest/PayPal -- It's not the Pinterest business that I have issue with. It's who is buying it. It would be like Walmart buying an amusement park or John Deere getting into bitcoin mining. Pinterest may be a great asset, but it's nowhere near PayPal's wheelhouse.

I generally agree but don’t think it’s so obvious there couldn’t have been benefits at the right price.

paypal is on a quest to become an all-in-one “super app” like China’s Alipay, so it’s looking to tack on more services, like product discovery, to its current menu. Plus, it’s got money to play with. Thanks to all those orders during the pandemic, PayPal’s stock has more than doubled since January 2020.

Tesla over $1,000 is another day when I should take about an hour in the ass kicking machine 

Didn't buy it when it went public, because it was a small niche electric car company the would struggle to make money
Didn't buy Apple when it went public (12/18/1980) because I had no money and didn't buy it because what was the market for an ipod (2001), and then their cell phone was overpriced (2007) so no thanks.
There are many more examples - but these really stick out today

Butt-Kicking-Machine

I'll be the one walking around with one of these on today

Intel worker files lawsuit after colleagues 'put Kick Me sign on his back,  hid his uniform and put trash in his bag' | Daily Mail Online

• Hook 'Em 2

Geesh. Can't fucking win. V/MA, step up. It's your turn to plunge. PYPL? We know you're $40 down on the Pinterest announcement that you called off, but you're not going to rebound either.

I honestly don't know why I own any individual stocks.