Markets still falling like whoa

That interview is pretty interesting. He's triple-vaxxed, asymptomatic. I think seeing someone on TV currently positive explaining it and seeming completely normal is a good thing. Normally someone isolates, and even if asymptomatic, they are not seen for two weeks. I think seeing with your own eyes that someone can have it an be perfectly normal is strong evidence that vaccines work and that we've eventually got to get on with it.

On 12/18/2021 at 12:35 AM, B00M said:

No fuk u mother fucker

roger-the-kangaroo-sanctuary-alice-sprin

Well, he’s dead so…also something is wrong with that lady.

Gonna be choppy but can’t try to time it.  Just take your medicine and chug along.  I’d actually buy here but after I threw in everything early this year I’m just gonna watch and tell myself it’s all ok.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

That interview is pretty interesting. He's triple-vaxxed, asymptomatic. I think seeing someone on TV currently positive explaining it and seeming completely normal is a good thing. Normally someone isolates, and even if asymptomatic, they are not seen for two weeks. I think seeing with your own eyes that someone can have it an be perfectly normal is strong evidence that vaccines work and that we've eventually got to get on with it.

But, but, but, if he's vaccinated, how could he possibly test positive!!! Proof vaccines don't work!!!

As noted on another thread, I will have a sizable lump sum of money that needs investing.

All of my other assets have been invested for decades in a handful of mutual funds akin to a "couch potato portfoiio."

I don't really want to do anything differently with this money, but I am a bit vexed about how fast to dump it in.  Now?  Over six months? Over 12?  Maybe try to buy a big dip if it happens in the near future?  Weekly? Monthly?  Dollar cost averaging?

Also, my funds are Fidelity brand and ETF.  Should I, just for the fuck of it, buy some Vanguard equivalents?

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

As noted on another thread, I will have a sizable lump sum of money that needs investing.

All of my other assets have been invested for decades in a handful of mutual funds akin to a "couch potato portfoiio."

I don't really want to do anything differently with this money, but I am a bit vexed about how fast to dump it in.  Now?  Over six months? Over 12?  Maybe try to buy a big dip if it happens in the near future?  Weekly? Monthly?  Dollar cost averaging?

Also, my funds are Fidelity brand and ETF.  Should I, just for the fuck of it, buy some Vanguard equivalents?

Stonks thread is the best place to go. Trust me. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Studies show best move is to grit your teeth and dump it all in.  Unless you need the money soon…

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

you should the part of the solution, buying stocks; however you are part of the problem, not buying stocks.
ETF is the way to go - only a few thousand to choose from

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Surefire moneymaker #1: Whatever we do, just do the opposite

Surefire moneymaker #2: https://www.pimco.com/en-us/investments/mutual-funds/stocksplus-long-duration-fund/inst

my retirement dontfuckaround money sits in here. its SP500 with a bond overlay for some safety. check the performance and returns section. note if you check the ticker elsewhere, it only shows nav but excludes dividends which is a significant portion of the fund total returns. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Surefire moneymaker #1: Whatever we do, just do the opposite

Surefire moneymaker #2: https://www.pimco.com/en-us/investments/mutual-funds/stocksplus-long-duration-fund/inst

my retirement dontfuckaround money sits in here. its SP500 with a bond overlay for some safety. check the performance and returns section. note if you check the ticker elsewhere, it only shows nav but excludes dividends which is a significant portion of the fund total returns. 

Is that expense ratio actually buying you an edge over, say, IVV + AGG?

If I had a big lump today, I'd be looking to buy land or real estate in Texas outside of the major cities where you can still find some value. Pretty easy to justify diversifying if you already have a lot in the market.

ChiTown is right that long term the winning strategy has been just jump in... But I would not be piling into a record high stock market that's totally dependent on a few big tech companies. But I'm a dumb pussy so good luck to you

Edited by B00M

PM me about chinchilla and playful sea monkey opportunities.

Also, stove-pipe beaver skin hats are at historic lows, so might be able to corner the market….and soon be on the beach collecting 20 percent.
  • Haha 2

Also, stove-pipe beaver skin hats are at historic lows, so might be able to corner the market….and soon be on the beach collecting 20 percent.

22 minutes ago, B00M said:

If I had a big lump today, I'd be looking to buy land or real estate in Texas outside of the major cities where you can still find some value. Pretty easy to justify diversifying if you already have a lot in the market.

If I had the money I'd buy a house in central Austin and cash flow it. Create an LLC and run all expenses through that. On top of throwing off several thousand a month you could make around 8-10% annually on the entire home value. I suppose you could do that anywhere to as long as you could find a steady stream of renters / STR interest.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, B00M said:

Is that expense ratio actually buying you an edge over, say, IVV + AGG?

The ER is better thought of as a convenience fee for not needing to rebalance the equity-bond mix yourself to maintain a targeted exposure %

Ive also got a manual blend of UPRO+TMF in another account. 

In the big picture i think the <1% fees is just noise. E.g. my discretionary trading account, ive done WAY worse than the SPX this year (barffff) and both of above

35 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

ive done WAY worse than the SPX this year (barffff) and both of above

What I say to myself when I think about the performance of my individual holdings versus an index fund this year:

Mario Lopez Football GIF

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

What I say to myself when I think about the performance of my individual holdings versus an index fund this year:

Mario Lopez Football GIF

i think the bloomberg hedge fund indices showed that this was one of the poorest years for HF underperformance relative to broad indexes.  lol

6 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

FDJxj6kXMAYuNml?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by SaucyJack
talk to me about NIL investment opportunities

9 hours ago, ZB&#x27;Tejas said:

If I had the money I'd buy a house in central Austin and cash flow it. Create an LLC and run all expenses through that. On top of throwing off several thousand a month you could make around 8-10% annually on the entire home value. I suppose you could do that anywhere to as long as you could find a steady stream of renters / STR interest.

Have toyed with the idea of rental property in this area, but the numbers seem to rely almost 100% on price appreciation. Even with huge chunks down, you flow maybe a few hundred each month on stuff I was looking at. And then the taxes are monstrous.

Of course in hindsight, I should have done it. But it just didn't feel like that great a deal.

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

looking for a sign that it is time to sell ...

SPY up $6.66 today

Jesus stop playing these games.  Just pile as much as you can in and stay.  Open up a gambling account and make crazy option/put plays if you insist but for the 99%, play it safe and don’t try timing shit.  
And sorry for the Mom post.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

He's right you know. I went from about 60% index funds and 40% individual picks to 80%/20% over the past six weeks. And aiming for 90/10%. 

The second half of 2021 made me realize that despite roughly 15 years of reading, tracking, learning about markets, companies, and stocks... I don't know shit. Far easier to just dump it in Vanguard funds. If the market wants to go up 24% a year, I don't need to try to earn 26%.

And Wally, I know you're likely just making an observation, not making investment decisions based on $6.66.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

8 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Jesus stop playing these games.  Just pile as much as you can in and stay.  Open up a gambling account and make crazy option/put plays if you insist but for the 99%, play it safe and don’t try timing shit.  

Listen to this guy, he was premed at some point.

My stonk account has gone 15x at one point and down 75 percent at another.  Overall still way up but psychologists will tell you the pain of losing is way worse than the joy of  winning and it’s 100 percent true for me.  So I have to treat the stonks as gambling which makes it a little less painful to watch a collapse unfold.

My index fund accounts roll up the money over time like you wouldn’t believe.  Just keep costs low.  I really like Blackrocks Balanced Capital Fund, MKCPX.  It hedges a little with fixed income and cash so I don’t need to worry about it and returns have been stellar over a long period of time for me.  It helps to have time and just leave it alone compounding.

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Yeah, following yours and the conventional advice, I just dumped it in.  Have seen a nice return already.  It is somewhat fleeting and there will be a correction, eventually.

But, through watching my own accounts, and those of my parents in retirement, just staying in and weathering the "storms" works out for the best.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, following yours and the conventional advice, I just dumped it in.  Have seen a nice return already.  It is somewhat fleeting and there will be a correction, eventually.

But, through watching my own accounts, and those of my parents in retirement, just staying in and weathering the "storms" works out for the best.

I think s/p up close to 5% in last 5 trading days.  Even if we get that 10% correction you’re sitting in a good spot.  Odds, at any one point in time,  are good it runs more than 10% before that pullback.  This is a boring way to do things and doesn’t draw eye balls to CNBC but it’s the only way, long term. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 tracker of the hedge fund industry, sorted by themes.

while most individual funds "arent meant" to track the SPX... returns are returns.

note... macro and quant folks typically think theyre the smartest people in the industry.  lol.

image.thumb.png.97b5185041dfe2a40711cd7d463a6c0b.png

the S&P index is essentially a fund thats managed by a board and its already diversified and by design it keeps all of the good stocks and regularly boots out the bad stocks, and you can own it for only 9 cents of fee per $100 invested (SPY), and you can buy in and cash out whenever you want.  pretty good deal compared to the 2% these other guys take.

Edited by 52-80
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

LOL - thanks Mom (actually Dad....but not my Dad, he loved to chase dividends, interest, and other taxable cash thrown off -  RIP)

Quick look my portfolio (aggregated) is about:
S&P 500 (mainly SPY) - 74% 
PRWAX - 10%
Some Fidelity large cap, not S&P (company 401k) - 8%
International fund (again comapany 401k, following traditional advice (and losing money)) - 4%
Stonks/options - 2% (mostly  profits taken from selling ALPP - and the remaining stonks are all in the red - UUUU, IBRX, AMY, ABML, BPTH)

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

LOL - thanks Mom (actually Dad....but not my Dad, he loved to chase dividends, interest, and other taxable cash thrown off -  RIP)

Quick look my portfolio (aggregated) is about:
S&P 500 (mainly SPY) - 74% 
PRWAX - 10%
Some Fidelity large cap, not S&P (company 401k) - 8%
International fund (again comapany 401k, following traditional advice (and losing money)) - 4%
Stonks/options - 2% (mostly  profits taken from selling ALPP - and the remaining stonks are all in the red - UUUU, IBRX, AMY, ABML, BPTH)

Really solid - as long as you're not randomly pulling everything out time to time thinking you're gonna time a big pullback.  

And RIP to your old man. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

He's right you know. I went from about 60% index funds and 40% individual picks to 80%/20% over the past six weeks. And aiming for 90/10%. 

The second half of 2021 made me realize that despite roughly 15 years of reading, tracking, learning about markets, companies, and stocks... I don't know shit. Far easier to just dump it in Vanguard funds. If the market wants to go up 24% a year, I don't need to try to earn 26%.

And Wally, I know you're likely just making an observation, not making investment decisions based on $6.66.

online_trading_2875255.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

1 tracker of the hedge fund industry, sorted by themes.

while most individual funds "arent meant" to track the SPX... returns are returns.

note... macro and quant folks typically think theyre the smartest people in the industry.  lol.

image.thumb.png.97b5185041dfe2a40711cd7d463a6c0b.png

the S&P index is essentially a fund thats managed by a board and its already diversified and by design it keeps all of the good stocks and regularly boots out the bad stocks, and you can own it for only 9 cents of fee per $100 invested (SPY), and you can buy in and cash out whenever you want.  pretty good deal compared to the 2% these other guys take.

Macro/Quant dudes are so fucking annoying.  Get over yourselves.  You're creating no real value any way - not that I don't appreciate a strong cocaine/hooker reserve. 

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Really solid - as long as you're not randomly pulling everything out time to time thinking you're gonna time a big pullback.  

And RIP to your old man. 

I used to worry about downturns, so I'd buy some puts - but that was expensive. So now I just stay invested, and play in a couple of stonks and have done pretty well this year riding some SPY calls (and not near expiry shit because that can be costly, I've "learned" to buy 6+ month calls and hope to sell them over time as they increase in value. I am not holding them until about 3 months before expiry)

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

And RIP to your old man. 

Was taking with my FIL while they were over for Christmas. I learned he is very conservative on his investments and spooks easily. He pulled money out way too often over the last 20-30 years.  He probably also tried to sled manage a little too much. I feel bad. If he’d just let shit ride in 88(?), late 90s, 08, 18, etc, he probably would have retired a few years ago.