Markets still falling like whoa

Not sure if this is the right place, but we just got an HSA option at work and we have the option to invest if we want. Our options are vsiax, vbmpx, vttsx (2060 target date), vigix, and vftax.  I know nothing about these other than the 1/5/10/life are all over 18% for the last one, and only vigix and vsiax are close to that. Any advice?

Edited by UT_OB1

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Not sure if this is the right place, but we just got an HSA option at work and we have the option to invest if we want. Our options are vsiax, vbmpx, vttsx (2060 target date), vigix, and vftax.  I know nothing about these other than the 1/5/10/life are all over 18% for the last one, and only vigix and vsiax are close to that. Any advice?

All on red...

3 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Meh. None of them are great, but an HSA isn't going to hold much money. I'd put 50/50 in VIGIX and VSIAX or 100% in VTTSX. (Although I hate target date funds)

Ok, why the hell have they not raised rates yet? Inflation is running 7%, Fed says we are at full employment, and you can't raise 0.25% of you'll upset the whole apple cart?

This is ridiculous.

21 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Ok, why the hell have they not raised rates yet? Inflation is running 7%, Fed says we are at full employment, and you can't raise 0.25% of you'll upset the whole apple cart?

This is ridiculous.

Because they are beating the drum of "It's not a money issue, it's a supply chain issue". The Fed is a political creature.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, staboner said:

wait their waiting till march now? everyone knows the game kids, just do it 

I dunno, maybe we can get this thing running hot at 8-9% in a couple of months. And then be surprised when 0.25% doesn't do anything.

The Fed’s job now - slow down an economy without crashing that fragile overheated economy.  Their QE purchases are down to leas than half of what they were a few months ago and will end in March (two years of QE). They are planning on four rate hikes this year.

I do think some of this volatility is a taper tantrum.   120 billion a month in QE left some sectors well supported. More speculative risks and those that run on dovish Fed policy should take a hit (and probably have already). While the Fed were brrrting QE at 120 billion a month, the markets were easier to read (as demonstrated on this thread).

I think we are left with a situation where the Fed Put will be left in the Fed’s toolbox until there is a much larger crisis. I am uncertain how worried the markets are about the status of the Fed Put. That was/is a lot of QE doled out. 

6 hours ago, washparkhorn said:

Cool. They got in on the March 2020 dip and rode the Fed free money. People were panicky in March 2020. “Follow the Fed”apparently worked for many. Maybe too many (inflation).

I assume you and your parents smile when they see that chart. Congrats to them. Well done. 

I manage their brokerage account. I bought a little into the dip when a CD matured, otherwise I just held on to what I bought for them in 2013. We got lucky and got AMZN at $190, APPL at $35 before it did its splits.

I didn't mean it to be a humblebrag, but more telling the story of the pullback since January.

As if it weren't already a beating to go to Lowe's/HD, Lowe's is now going to utilize some space in many of their stores for PetCo branded pet sections.  So now you'll be waiting in line to buy your plants and hardware with Karen and her 3 dogs jumping around and acting like assholes.  

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/27/lowes-will-open-mini-petco-shops-inside-some-stores.html

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

So now you'll be waiting in line to buy your plants and hardware with Karen and her 3 dogs jumping around and acting like assholes.  

Live in Austin. This is already the case anywhere I go.