Baylor @ OU on FOX with Brando on the call

DFW Horn

Listening to this crew had made us all dumber and may god have mercy on their souls.

.... or not.
I hope they die from cancer during a house fire while caught in a bear trap.

Nah, I hope they die from a bear fire while trapped in cancer.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, quigley said:

Dave Aranda's press conference is really impressive in terms of strategy and process. If he can get his dudes into the program, he'll be successful.

Did this strategy or the process include a reference to any character in the Steinbeck novel "Of Mice And Men"? j/k

I listened to the game on the radio (die JMo, please) and heard Jalen Petri's name called early and often. IIRC he was the only Briles recruit to stay once the shit hit the fan, the rest of that class  bailed. He's a senior now so I'm thinking that every other player is a Matt Rhule guy. Rhule hit the ground running, hired a few Texas high school football coaches for his staff and cobbled together a small class of mostly last minute grabs. The offensive production was already falling under Rhule and was pretty damned anemic last year. It took some divine intervention in a couple of games for Baylor to compile the record that they had. With the struggles of Brewer this year and his history of head injuries I have been surprised that his backup Bohannon didn't see more playing time as the season has worn on. 

But to your mention of processes, it was clear to me in the last quarter with some of the play calls and personnel on field that Aranda is using every opportunity to continue evaluating players to determine who is or will be an "Aranda guy" going forward. 

I still can't help but remind myself though that the last DC Baylor hired as HC was Kevin Steele. And with that historically bad hire in mind I find it less than likely that Baylor has managed to hire 3 good (not speaking of morals here) football coaches in a row.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

I still can't help but remind myself though that the last DC Baylor hired as HC was Kevin Steele. And with that historically bad hire in mind I find it less than likely that Baylor has managed to hire 3 good (not speaking of morals here) football coaches in a row.

Aranda has been successful at two programs with different methods of achieving success, Wisc and LSU. This year is a rebuilding year, and they're 2-6 with the 13 point loss to OU a their worst defeat. This is the sign of competence which is an important first step.

Agree that they have to prove that they can recruit and agree that they have to get the offensive side of the ball straight. To that end Aranda's tailored his staff to recruit Texas (bunch of guys from TX including McGuire), and Fedora is a respected offensive coach.

This is Year 0, and a weird year 0 at that. I definitely am NOT rooting for the Bears, but I think they're going to be a problem regionally and have the potential to pop up every couple of years to get national recognition. A silver lining is that I don't see Aranda sticking there if he has better offers.

Edited by quigley

2 hours ago, quigley said:

Aranda has been successful at two programs with different methods of achieving success, Wisc and LSU. This year is a rebuilding year, and they're 2-6 with the 13 point loss to OU a their worst defeat. This is the sign of competence which is an important first step.

Agree that they have to prove that they can recruit and agree that they have to get the offensive side of the ball straight. To that end Aranda's tailored his staff to recruit Texas (bunch of guys from TX including McGuire), and Fedora is a respected offensive coach.

This is Year 0, and a weird year 0 at that. I definitely am NOT rooting for the Bears, but I think they're going to be a problem regionally and have the potential to pop up every couple of years to get national recognition. A silver lining is that I don't see Aranda sticking there if he has better offers.

Funny thing about the part I bolded, wrt Aranda having some success and leaving. I was thinking along those same lines but didn't post my thoughts so I'll share since you brought that up. I disagree with you I think. From what little I've seen and heard about the guy's personal life i.e., his Christian beliefs, seem to be quite sincere. He talks the talk at least and in a convincing way. I don't recall a recent coach at Baylor who so openly embraced that aspect of their personal life. Mulkey, Scott Drew, Art Briles, Matt Rhule - all gave some lip service but Aranda really seems like he feels at home at a Christian branded university. Baylor has proven themselves to be patient with their first time coaches (Mulkey and Drew both are first timers). They are also quick to reward success, both Briles and Rhule were given raises and extensions at the first glimmer of hope. Financial compensation will not be a barrier to retaining Aranda and the environment may be a plus for his personal reasons. 

Once the Baptits had a taste of what sort of financial boon football success could provide with the RGIII Heisman (est. 300MM in donations and from various revenue streams and does not include the monies for McLane stadium, housing and training facilities) they seem committed to providing facilities and infrastructure that will continue to entice a segment of athletes that previously would not have given Baylor much thought. 

All this to say that unless Aranda is as mercenary as most of his brethren in the profession, I think he could with marginal success become a fixture here. I'm withholding judgment on his HC abilities.

4 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Funny thing about the part I bolded, wrt Aranda having some success and leaving. I was thinking along those same lines but didn't post my thoughts so I'll share since you brought that up. I disagree with you I think. From what little I've seen and heard about the guy's personal life i.e., his Christian beliefs, seem to be quite sincere. He talks the talk at least and in a convincing way. I don't recall a recent coach at Baylor who so openly embraced that aspect of their personal life. Mulkey, Scott Drew, Art Briles, Matt Rhule - all gave some lip service but Aranda really seems like he feels at home at a Christian branded university. Baylor has proven themselves to be patient with their first time coaches (Mulkey and Drew both are first timers). They are also quick to reward success, both Briles and Rhule were given raises and extensions at the first glimmer of hope. Financial compensation will not be a barrier to retaining Aranda and the environment may be a plus for his personal reasons. 

Once the Baptits had a taste of what sort of financial boon football success could provide with the RGIII Heisman (est. 300MM in donations and from various revenue streams and does not include the monies for McLane stadium, housing and training facilities) they seem committed to providing facilities and infrastructure that will continue to entice a segment of athletes that previously would not have given Baylor much thought. 

All this to say that unless Aranda is as mercenary as most of his brethren in the profession, I think he could with marginal success become a fixture here. I'm withholding judgment on his HC abilities.

I didn't know that about Aranda's personal beliefs. I thought he'd get a higher profile gig jumping from LSU DC so, if the religion angle is correct, it would make sense that he'd choose Baylor. If he's really committed to being there for a while, he could really build something.