I believe Twitter is deleting Trump bots/trolls en masse this evening

Hornius Emeritus

So, normally, my Traces of Texas Twitter feed increases in the number of followers each hour and each day.  Over the last 28 days, for example, I've been adding an average of 150 followers every 24 hours.  Sometimes I'll notice that the number of my followers will decrease by one or two, like I'll have 44,125 and I'll check 15 minutes later and I'll have 44,122.  I figure that 2-3 people who were following me decided to unfollow me and that's fine. . Generally speaking, however, the number of followers goes up in a more-or-less linear fashion.  Having said that, several times over the last year I've gone to bed at night and I'll wake up the next morning and I'll have 100-200 fewer followers.  My guess has always been that, periodically, Twitter goes through and "takes out the trash," deleting accounts that it knows are bots/trolls, and that they do it when they think I am asleep.  But they've always done these "haircuts"  at night.  Well they just did it during the day.  At 5:00 p.m. Central time I went over 44,475 followers.  I'm now down (as I type this) to 44,273.  I think that what Twitter is doing is deleting bots/trolls and that the nature of the beast is that most of the bots/trolls are "followers"  of  President Trump.  

I just think it's interesting that Twitter is doing this on the very day that they've blocked President Trump for 12 hours. Perhaps Twitter is beginning to understand the roll it played in today's events and is getting serious.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So, normally, my Traces of Texas Twitter feed increases in the number of followers each hour and each day.  Over the last 28 days, for example, I've been adding an average of 150 followers every 24 hours.  Sometimes I'll notice that the number of my followers will decrease by one or two, like I'll have 44,125 and I'll check 15 minutes later and I'll have 44,122.  I figure that 2-3 people who were following me decided to unfollow me and that's fine. . Generally speaking, however, the number of followers goes up in a more-or-less linear fashion.  Having said that, several times over the last year I've gone to bed at night and I'll wake up the next morning and I'll have 100-200 fewer followers.  My guess has always been that, periodically, Twitter goes through and "takes out the trash," deleting accounts that it knows are bots/trolls, and that they do it when they think I am asleep.  But they've always done these "haircuts"  at night.  Well they just did it during the day.  At 5:00 p.m. Central time I went over 44,475 followers.  I'm now down (as I type this) to 44,273.  I think that what Twitter is doing is deleting bots/trolls and that the nature of the beast is that most of the bots/trolls are "followers"  of  President Trump.  

I just think it's interesting that Twitter is doing this on the very day that they've blocked President Trump for 12 hours. Perhaps Twitter is beginning to understand the roll it played in today's events and is getting serious.  

Weird flex?
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think it's because your followers aren't getting pics from San Marcos of the co-eds at the "beach" on the San Marcos River as it courses it's way through Texas State University (It will always be Southwest Texas State University to me.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I think it's because your followers aren't getting pics from San Marcos of the co-eds at the "beach" on the San Marcos River as it courses it's way through Texas State University (It will always be Southwest Texas State University to me.)

And if they do get the pics they are from like 1910. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, C-Man said:

Weird flex? emoji41.png

Nope. Just another insight from somebody who might have a different perspective.

Also, this is definitely happening.  Although Traces of Texas added 57 followers since I posted this last night, the number of total followers, according to Twitter,  has actually decreased by 15.

Another plausible explanation is that people of many different political persuasions decided to delete their accounts after the craziness of yesterday and Traces of Texas got impacted by that.  

I posted a photo of a young Roger Staubach and that should get me going in the right direction.  

I just find the analytics part of social media to be fascinating.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oh, yes ... it is DEFINITELY happening. Twitter is going after MAGA.  If you've got MAGA or the word "Patriot" in your profile and the number of followers that you have is within about 10% of the number of accounts you are following, my guess is that Twitter is going to be looking at you pretty closely.   Several accounts that started following my Twitter feed in the last day or two and that had several thousand followers have suddenly disappeared.  Wow.  I guess it took something crazy happening for them to get serious about it.