All Encompassing Mortgage and Real Estate Thread

UTPhil2006

4 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

You’ve already been wrong for a year, why would I agree to an extension?

This was a heavily telegraphed runup in interest rates and acting surprised with how work has dried up, is weird to me. Were you not telling everyone for years these are record lows and to take advantage now? Did you not mean it when you were telling clients then? 

Yes. But going from 2.75-8 in 18 months is not normal. 
higher doesn’t mean- highest in a generation in 12 or 15 months. 

22 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Sounds like you have a new selling point then, peak interest rates. Buy now before lower rates push demand back up and home prices stop falling.

I won’t even bill you for that advice. Just don’t look under Misc admin escrow processing fee and complete the Docusign.

I mean- yeah- that is the plan. The best day to buy is always yesterday and today always beats tomorrow. That’s what happens when you are buying an appreciating asset combined with the lender having to honor todays interest rate while you can change the tens at any time. My OU are presenting that as if it’s bullshit but it’s how the market actually works. 

23 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Homes are always appreciating assets? I should tell everyone!

Always appreciating?  Of course not. Especially over a short enough time period. Held long enough?  Sure. And you have to live somewhere. 
the average American has the vast vast vast majority of their wealth due to home appreciation.  There are very few people whose life wouldn’t be better by buying a house, and generally the sooner in life you buy a house the better you do. 

While I'm a big "don't try to time the market guy" when it comes to the stock market, I'd hope you can see that your "yesterday and today is the best time to buy a home" doesn't compute with your "it's not always an appreciating asset" statement in the face of a fed that told everyone for the last year they are inflicting pain on borrowers.

If you are attempting to sell homes today at a 350k price now, while believing a recession is within a year from now and take that homes value with it, you aren't being forward with your client.

9 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

While I'm a big "don't try to time the market guy" when it comes to the stock market, I'd hope you can see that your "yesterday and today is the best time to buy a home" doesn't compute with your "it's not always an appreciating asset" statement in the face of a fed that told everyone for the last year they are inflicting pain on borrowers.

If you are attempting to sell homes today at a 350k price now, while believing a recession is within a year from now and take that homes value with it, you aren't being forward with your client.

I’m not trying to sell anyone shit- someone calls me up because they want to buy a house!  I’m not knocking on doors trying to convince anyone to buy a house- I don’t even suggest they do so. I literally answer my phone when someone calls me that wants help buying a house and I help them!

I also didn’t say houses always go up in value (I said yesterdays rate is always preferable to todays and today is preferable to waiting for tomorrows), but over a long enough time they always will (absent living in a place losing population which isn’t anywhere in Texas or Colorado where I’m licensed to do business, and I don’t expect either of those places to lose population in my lifetime), provided you aren’t forced to sell. And that long enough time period is generally a couple years- 5 at most. 

I actually have counseled people not to buy houses when they are dealing with a transient time period (less than 2 or 3 years) and just this past Friday I even told an old woman who was looking to buy an investment home across the street from her it wasn’t a good deal unless she had some other reason to buy because it wasn’t going to pencil out as a good investment at her time in life in this market environment.

She said she hoped her son would live there one day. I told her to talk to her son and see if he ever would. She had that conversation with him and called me up and told me he didn’t want to commit to that, he saw himself settling by his kids and not her, and she thanked me for being straight with her. 

But, the dude who’s buying a house with the intention of staying for a reasonable amount of time?  Literally almost always better off buying now as opposed to trying to time the market for the reasons already stated. 

If you guess wrong on timing the market you can get locked out of the market and lose out on the #1 wealth building tool the average American has. If you buy now and 2 years later your house is worth less and you keep living there then 5 years later it will be worth more and you will have provided for your family’s second greatest need after food (shelter) among the way. 

Home ownership is literally the thing that has built and fueled the American dream. I’m not fond of homeownership because of the business I’m in, I’m in the business I’m in because of my belief in the values both for an individual, and society at large, that come from homeownership. 

• Hook 'Em 3

27 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

2008 was a recession caused by the housing market, which is generally as bad as it gets for house prices. Homeowners sure did bad then. Oh wait- they didn’t:  

Home prices fully recovered by late 2012. If someone bought a house at the very peak of the recession in 2007 and held the property for 5 years, they made money in appreciation after 2012. It took 3.5 years for the recovery to begin after the recession began.

Also- rates drop during a recession (almost always) so you can often times end up with a lower payment by taking advantage of opportunities to refinance during those times as typically accommodation gets easier and rates go down. 
again, if you are buying for a couple years I’d suggest renting not owning, but as a general risk the price for being wrong sitting out buying if the market goes higher is really really bad while if you  buy and hold during a recession you are made whole while also having a place to live. 

1 minute ago, StassneyHorn said:

struck a nerve, I won

Ok cool Hookem. You didn’t strike any nerve with me. I love homeownership and am fine with talking about it with anyone. If this is some sort of bad faith gotcha game I guess I wasted 15 minutes of the last hour of my life responding to you. Congratulations I guess? 

2 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

People also lose their jobs to pay for homes in a recession.

That happened to my mom and dad. They lived in their house 15 months without making a payment before they got foreclosed on and then got a $4,000 check for not stripping the place or trashing it on the way out. It was sad to watch. It was also a million percent better for them than if they were tenants somewhere. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Ok cool Hookem. You didn’t strike any nerve with me. I love homeownership and am fine with talking about it with anyone. If this is some sort of bad faith gotcha game I guess I wasted 15 minutes of the last hour of my life responding to you. Congratulations I guess? 

No youre just forgetting a pretty common thing that happens to homeowners during a recession

No youre just forgetting a pretty common thing that happens to homeowners during a recession

I’m not. I saw my mom and dad get foreclosed on. They were better off as owned that lost the house than as tenants. I saw lots of other people stop making payments and the end up back on their feet and catch up on their payments. That also is better than stuffing your landlord. They can evict within days. The bank takes 12 months plus generally to foreclose. 

• Hook 'Em 1

This was not a bad faith game, just an exercise to poke some glaring holes in your "yesterday and today" mantra even when faced with your impending recession.
Buying a home before an impending recession because it takes 12 months to foreclose is certainly an argument that works for some pigmentations. They also would have whatever down payment money they didn't use for emergency purposes like that.

Edited by StassneyHorn

This was not a bad faith game, just an exercise to poke some glaring holes in your "yesterday and today" mantra even when faced with your impending recession.
Buying a home before an impending recession because it takes 12 months to foreclose is certainly an argument that works for some pigmentations.

I suspect there’s a recession.  I don’t know it with metaphysical certainty. If I’m wrong and prices go up 50k someone might be priced out. If I’m right and they are viewing a house as a place to live they aren’t going to sell for a lot of years they won’t be harmed. If they lose their job and can’t pay for a place to live they will STILL be better off owning. 
I’ve explained fully what I think is going to happen, what I believe about homeownership and how I operate as a professional in my job. You can think I’m full of shit and I promise I won’t lose a bit of sleep tonight. 

I literally sent this to my buddy 30 minutes before I stared on this thread:

++++++++++++++++++++++

I want this 100% disabled VA loan to close so badly. We will make money which is cool, but the biggest thing is it will change his life. I’ve got a good appraisal, working out 20k worth of debt to be paid by the seller which will save him 1000 a month in payments, and he will have a great new house he can move his wife, 2 kids and mother in law into while he has a base to settle down traveling the country. I went from 20/80 it will happen to 60/40. The coin is in the air and nothing else I can do now. They said they’d do it, but… he got turned down 2 times already by morons. Not because they didn’t get it done but because they ducked around, weren’t straight with him then lied. 
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

copied even with typo on ducking. This isn’t some sort of act for me. This is how I live my life and what I believe. I know there’s a dozen people I can point to over the last 5 years whose lives were radically changed because I helped them do something other people said they couldn’t and it’s my favorite feeling in the world. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Big miss in the jobs report. 
Unemployment up. Wages down. Lost 100k jobs to revisions in the last 2 months (IOW those numbers were bullshit as I said at the time). 
Cue “it’s happening” GIF. 
employment is a lagging indicator. This wasn’t hard to see. Maybe it’s just a blip and I’m wrong/an idiot. 
anyway welcome news in the home industry. This should move rates away from 8 forever and I think we probably ease down below 7 (and stay there) by the end of the year (if not for average borrower at least the well qualified ones). 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Unemployment up. Wages down. Lost 100k jobs to revisions in the last 2 months (IOW those numbers were bullshit as I said at the time). 
employment is a lagging indicator. This wasn’t hard to see. Maybe it’s just a blip and I’m wrong/an idiot. 
anyway welcome news in the home industry. This should move rates away from 8 forever and I think we probably ease down below 7 (and stay there) by the end of the year (if not for average borrower at least the well qualified ones). 

US median household income slipped 2.3% last year to $74,580, the third consecutive year that incomes have decreased, per CBS.

Total US bankruptcy filings rose 13% in the twelve-month period ending Sept. 30, 2023, per the US Courts.

Edited by ChickenSandwich

47 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

image.thumb.png.451236dd6a488cb5e48c136deb3336b5.png

This past week

Guy fieri Load size - Imgflip

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

So I wanted to chime in last night when I was reading @StassneyHorn and @Wulaw Horn before it kind of devolved into a debate on whether we're in a recession and then I passed out after getting the kids down to bed. 

I do think, in terms of Wu hearing consistently from his borrowers various economic concerns, there's a political part to this (this is a little unavoidably CR)--his part of North Houston/Kingwood is culturally aligned to the GOP (I would say MAGA but most of those folks don't have any money).  We've seen from surveys that the right's sense of their economic well being is very much in thrall to whichever party is in charge in the federal government (I'm sure this is somewhat true on the left but I'll leave any speculation on the reason for CR). 

TLDR: Wu's borrowers perceive themselves off as worse off than they really are.  Either way, it's a barrier to making a large purchase. 

35 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

So I wanted to chime in last night when I was reading @StassneyHorn and @Wulaw Horn before it kind of devolved into a debate on whether we're in a recession and then I passed out after getting the kids down to bed. 

I do think, in terms of Wu hearing consistently from his borrowers various economic concerns, there's a political part to this (this is a little unavoidably CR)--his part of North Houston/Kingwood is culturally aligned to the GOP (I would say MAGA but most of those folks don't have any money).  We've seen from surveys that the right's sense of their economic well being is very much in thrall to whichever party is in charge in the federal government (I'm sure this is somewhat true on the left but I'll leave any speculation on the reason for CR). 

TLDR: Wu's borrowers perceive themselves off as worse off than they really are.  Either way, it's a barrier to making a large purchase. 

I do more business outside that area than inside it. The divide is office/professional/government v entrepreneurial/small business/blue collar. 

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Even with the revisions the numbers met or exceeded expectations

165k revised vs 170k expectations in August, 5k less 

297k revised Vs 170k expected in September, 127k more 

On 11/3/2023 at 6:26 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

US median household income slipped 2.3% last year to $74,580, the third consecutive year that incomes have decreased, per CBS.

Total US bankruptcy filings rose 13% in the twelve-month period ending Sept. 30, 2023, per the US Courts.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/income-down-17-states-midwest-northeast-inflation/

67% of states had no decreases or losses in income since Chicken sandwich didn’t paste a link

56 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I don't understand all the bips and points talk but from what I was reading, the interest rate on a 30 year is the lowest it's been in over 1 year now this week. That's good news, but is it the start of a trend line going down or just a random blip?

That’s not accurate. More like a month on the interest rates on 30’s years. 
we don’t know if it’s the start of a trend line or a blip. I think everyone in the industry is betting rates go down and somewhat significantly,  it I don’t think anyone expects that to happen tomorrow per se. 

45 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That’s not accurate. More like a month on the interest rates on 30’s years. 
we don’t know if it’s the start of a trend line or a blip. I think everyone in the industry is betting rates go down and somewhat significantly,  it I don’t think anyone expects that to happen tomorrow per se. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-11-08/us-30-year-mortgage-rate-tumbles-by-most-in-more-than-a-year

US 30-Year Mortgage Rate Tumbles by Most in More Than a Year

Contract rate dropped 25 basis points last week, to 7.61%

Mortgage applications for home purchases rose most since June

I think I read "lowest" but really it's about the % drop?

Edited by BeardIP
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

I’m still recalling the 13.5% loan we newlyweds had on our house in Bakersfield.  Everything looked great after that.

2 hours ago, BeardIP said:

That makes a lot more sense. This spring I had some people in there in the low 5’s for a couple week stretch- maybe March?  Late February?