2021 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Horny Bull

Guest Lobo
4 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Do cockroaches have souls?

Not if they're red-headed.  

9-8 ULM on TCU-T6.   Two on, nobody out for the Redthingies.

Tech about to run-rule OU.  So there's that. 

KSU gonna eek one out at Lawrence, up 6-2 in the 9th.  Played themselves out of a possible at-large this weekend with a series loss at KU.  

OSU/Baylor still has all kinds of implications for them and their upper-eschelon brethren.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Who the fuck is pitching for tcu? It better not be the guy(s) we scored 1 off of last Saturday. 

Team and fans must have been up too late this week googling the ULM hand sign to invert. 

Yep, Austin Krob. Knocked out after one inning and 6 ER.

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I hope they saved some Ls for next weekend.  All this does is hurt their seeding and our rpi. 

How is TCU losing these games hurting our RPI? We’re still at #3. If you don’t count Fairfield we’re #2.

Edited by CowtownHorn

9 minutes ago, CowtownHorn said:

How is TCU losing these games hurting our RPI? We’re still at #3. If you don’t count Fairfield we’re #2.

It’s very minor but that is how the RPI works. You gain RPI points when the teams you played win and vice versa

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

It’s very minor but that is how the RPI works. You gain RPI points when the teams you played win and vice versa

Yup but TCU shitting the bed is definitely good news for Texas because now there is no chance they get a national seed over us. 

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

Yup but TCU shitting the bed is definitely good news for Texas because now there is no chance they get a national seed over us. 

That was never the question, the Big 12 would have likely gotten 2 but now Texas might be the only one in the top 8 depending on how Tech and TCU finish.

• Hook 'Em 1

From the TCU board.   😊    Those Frog fans can be pretty cool.    They do hate aggy and Baylor.

Srsly,  I think TCU may have locker room problems.   Haylen Green,  their ace closer, had been suspended for unknown reasons (per rumor) until last weekend.    And a wild guess, they may think Schloss is leaving.

"Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today to bid farewell to a National Seed. It seemed in the best of health last Friday, until towards evening it began coughing up blood. It rallied on Saturday, feebly regaining it's feet until Sunday, when it swooned into a faint and began coughing up blood again. But. the fancy machines at the Big Building With Doctors said there was still life, although to a casual observer it looked awfully dead, but hope was still with us that it might rally once again.

Alas, on Friday night, the Big Building With Doctors suffered a power outage, and the life support was turned off. Then, on Saturday afternoon, a piano inexplicably fell on the corpse as it was being wheeled to the morgue.

In lieu of flowers, please make donations to the Frog Club.

Amen."
https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php?threads/ulm-at-tcu-doubleheader.227557/page-10

1 hour ago, torre said:

From the TCU board.   😊    Those Frog fans can be pretty cool.    They do hate aggy and Baylor.

Srsly,  I think TCU may have locker room problems.   Haylen Green,  their ace closer, had been suspended for unknown reasons (per rumor) until last weekend.    And a wild guess, they may think Schloss is leaving.

"Dearly Beloved, we are gathered here today to bid farewell to a National Seed. It seemed in the best of health last Friday, until towards evening it began coughing up blood. It rallied on Saturday, feebly regaining it's feet until Sunday, when it swooned into a faint and began coughing up blood again. But. the fancy machines at the Big Building With Doctors said there was still life, although to a casual observer it looked awfully dead, but hope was still with us that it might rally once again.

Alas, on Friday night, the Big Building With Doctors suffered a power outage, and the life support was turned off. Then, on Saturday afternoon, a piano inexplicably fell on the corpse as it was being wheeled to the morgue.

In lieu of flowers, please make donations to the Frog Club.

Amen."
https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index.php?threads/ulm-at-tcu-doubleheader.227557/page-10

God, I thought we were a bunch of gashes......

Well TCU wins 6-4 but got outhit 10-5 in the final game of their series and pretty much got their ass whipped for the entire series. 

All I know is if I face TCU, I’m throwing a lefty with a helluva curveball because they couldn’t hit it if you told them it was coming.

1 minute ago, Droopy said:

I root for Texas. Screw any team or scenario that gets in our way to championships. Texas, forever. 🤘🏼

They have no fucking problem rooting against us. Why the fuck should I root for them? Fuck em 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, chase25 said:

I don’t know if Jim has it in him but TCU needs a speech.

That "talk" today would have UT bringing in lawyers and grief counselors by the busload.

Man, I miss the old days, the bad days, THE ALL OR NOTHIN' DAYS!

Guest Lobo

It still seems like OSU/BAY and TTU/OKL are both still delayed.  They're both gonna be up against hard stops for travel in the next 2 hours or so.  

3 of those teams would really use a chance at a quality win to boost seeding.  OU game says it's still in 'pregame' but I don't see how they can start a Sunday game at 5:00p?  

Shouldn't shake much up as far as conference tournament or Longhorn RPI, just curious that the middle 4 teams with lots left to prove are all rained out today.  

Guest Lobo

Well, I stand corrected.  Red Raiders at Sooners just started at 4:35p-CDT.  One on, one out T1.  Okay, curious to see if they can finish 7 innings on time.  We need the Red Raiders to take this series.  

Guest Lobo

Tech up 11-1 in the 4th.  I guess the run rule is gonna take care of any travel restrictions that could hamper this game counting.  

Fuck the Sooners.  Go Red Raiders! 

I guess BAY/OSU was cancelled after all.  Today will make it mathematically impossible then for OSU to surpass Tech for 3rd place in the Big XII.  Other than they lose the Kansas series in Lubbock and go 0-2 or 1-2 in the conference tourney (truly shitting the bed to close out the season)...they are assuredly our league's #3 regional host.  Baylor with lots to play for still needed today's game and need to take 2 or 3 from Oklahoma to remain in contention for a #2 regional seed.  They don't do that and/or shit the bed in OKC and it'll be a #3 seed in the big tourney.  

WVU pitching looked last-place-esque all weekend.  5.25 ERA versus Miami-OH and Dayton in Morgantown.  Weekend starters looked good, but being a 4-game series...additional starter and most of the bullpen looked like ass all weekend.  

Guest Lobo

How are they getting around this shit starting at 6:15p on a Sunday?  I guess because most schools are already done with final examinations?  
I forget most "schools" in the Big XII are basically done, even in non-Covid years, the week after Easter basically with some ornamental tests and papers due by May 1st.  

Looking ahead this week...Tuesday.  Need Kansas over Missouri and not sure about Texas State @ TCU.  TCU has so far split with Texas State this season 1-1 and lost a series to us.  We swept TSU 3-0, and 2-1 over TCU.  

Final "weekend" series actually start less than 96 hours from now.  Pull for OSU sweep of UNO.  K-State to win at least 1, preferably 2, over TCU.  Texas Tech to sweep Kansas.  And then I'm unsure about Oklahoma at Baylor for what helps us the most?  

19 minutes ago, Lobo said:

How are they getting around this shit starting at 6:15p on a Sunday?  I guess because most schools are already done with final examinations?  
I forget most "schools" in the Big XII are basically done, even in non-Covid years, the week after Easter basically with some ornamental tests and papers due by May 1st.  

Looking ahead this week...Tuesday.  Need Kansas over Missouri and not sure about Texas State @ TCU.  TCU has so far split with Texas State this season 1-1 and lost a series to us.  We swept TSU 3-0, and 2-1 over TCU.  

Final "weekend" series actually start less than 96 hours from now.  Pull for OSU sweep of UNO.  K-State to win at least 1, preferably 2, over TCU.  Texas Tech to sweep Kansas.  And then I'm unsure about Oklahoma at Baylor for what helps us the most?  

Oklahoma and Baylor isn't all that relevant other than it would likely put Baylor outside the top 50 in RPI and put their at-large hopes on life support if they were to lose 2/3 or get swept. I just hope TCU and Tech play well enough that we don't get paired up in a super. Rather face somebody different than partake in a rematch. Save the potential rematches for Omaha.

Oklahoma State and Baylor both wanting to get the game in is probably what it came down to

Guest Lobo

Yep, I wouldn't mind facing Tech again in the Supers.  But it'd be nice to see a different opponent in the "Round of 16."  Big XII has been good enough, and somewhat deep enough, to have a chance to put its Top 3 teams into Omaha with separate Super Regional assignments (meaning no Tech to Fort Worth either).  Tech should sweep KU and pickup 2-3 wins in OKC, and be afforded that opportunity to go through another Super.  I think what could very well happen is OSU or BAY closes out very strong between this week and OKC, gets a favorable #2 regional pairing, upsets the host, and heads over to play us or TCU in a Super.  I think we're maybe more likely to see that than Tech coming here.  

I think Tech's closing strong enough to get #9-#13 type regional host slot.  That shouldn't pair with us them if we get our deserved #3-#4 spot.  Maybe with TCU though after their ULM showing this weekend. 

Edited by Lobo

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yep, I wouldn't mind facing Tech again in the Supers.  But it'd be nice to see a different opponent in the "Round of 16."  Big XII has been good enough, and somewhat deep enough, to have a chance to put its Top 3 teams into Omaha with separate Super Regional assignments (meaning no Tech to Fort Worth either).  Tech should sweep KU and pickup 2-3 wins in OKC, and be afforded that opportunity to go through another Super.  I think what could very well happen is OSU or BAY closes out very strong between this week and OKC, gets a favorable #2 regional pairing, upsets the host, and heads over to play us or TCU in a Super.  I think we're maybe more likely to see that than Tech coming here.  

I think Tech's closing strong enough to get #9-#13 type regional host slot.  That shouldn't pair with us them if we get our deserved #3-#4 spot.  Maybe with TCU though after their ULM showing this weekend. 

Tech won't be the one sent here, TCU is the team right now that I could see falling to that 13-14 seed range pairing up with us at 3-4. While I think we could handle TCU in Austin there is just something about giving a team a 2nd chance that creates new life and randomness. 

Tech offensively is too good to falter down the stretch. I think they end up #9-12 in seeding. Texas can make it all a mute point if they handle business. Based on what transpired this weekend Texas has a very real shot at the #2 overall seed. Arkansas has #1 wrapped up.

Oklahoma State and Baylor don't have the arms to upset a regional IMO. Baylor will likely get sent west to Stanford or Arizona and Oklahoma State will likely be a punching bag for Arkansas or Vanderbilt in their regionals.

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

You think TCU could fall that far down in the next two weeks? I know it's possible, I just don't see it though.  

I think it is more possible than Tech falling. TCU got pulverized by ULM this weekend and were absolutely shut down by the two lefties that ULM threw at them. Pair that with how they looked against Pete... Jordan Wicks hasn't looked as good in conference play but it will be his last start at home likely as he will probably leave for pro ball. Could see him pitching with some juice as he tries to improve his draft stock.

Way more likely that Kansas State takes a game or two from TCU with a great performance from Jordan Wicks than Kansas taking a game or two from Tech. And even if Kansas matches whatever Kansas State does to TCU, Kansas is currently sitting 59th in the RPI, Kansas State is 108th. The damage for TCU would be worse just because it is happening at the end of the year following their abortion of a performance this weekend (although Kansas State did take 2/3 from Tech). 

Only thing TCU could potentially hang their hat on would be an outright conference championship which would likely mean they swept and handled Kansas State. If Texas jumps up and shares it with TCU I could easily see Tech jumping TCU depending on how Tech finishes the year. TCU got out hit 32-20 by ULM this weekend in Lupton. I don't care how good your resume is (TCU has gamed the RPI really well this year), that is a "Woah WTF" type series loss.

Edited by chase25

Guest Lobo

Good take.  I just can't count out TCU for serious noise.  They can get their shit together and still win this conference outright from us 6 days from now by sweeping a struggling KSU or taking 2/3 and having us give one upset loss to WVU.  I could see TCU winning their bracket in OKC 3-0 or 3-1 and making the final game, but the sites/seeding will be locked by in Saturday evening.  They can still recoup part of their resume and get a #7 or #8 national seed.  But as we've been saying, just don't see TCU or Tech sliding down to #13-#15 and being paired across from Texas.  Don't make a shit, gotta win what's in front of you, insert cliche here.  But the Top 8/16 are very much taking shape already and a lot of hiccups were thrown into all this weekend, especially in Big XII, ACC, and SEC.  

Pac-12 even had some shaking up---Arizona State took the series from Oregon State and Cal took 2 of 3 from Stanford.  That'll shake up where some of the Pac-12 regional hosts fit into the national seeding order.

Tech beat OU 13-2 in 7 innings, they are now 7th in RPI, 2 spots and 41 points behind TCU. That gap could shrink on Tuesday unless TCU cancels yet another midweek game to protect their RPI.

Baylor now up 8-3 on Okie State which is good news for any "Big 12, Big 12, Big 12" people. Moves the conference closer to being a 5 bid league which regardless of how you feel about other schools (whom most of which I despise), it does prop everybody up when the conference is good

Edited by chase25