Top Chef Portland

Biff Tannen

11 hours ago, kevwun said:

I am pretty confident she is going to make it to the final.  I don't think Tom will pick her if she doesn't at least tie or beat Shota or Gabe, but they want her in the final in the hopes she'll have a good day and win it.  She is obviously talented, but I can't think of another Top Chef winner who was as inconsistent as she is. 

in the finale, they usually bring back past, booted, contestants from the season as sous chefs to help out.  dawn is not a delegator, cant communicate her vision to a team, and doesn't even seem to formulate it in advance for a team to help, so cant see her doing well in that setting.  she is best alone it appears.  maybe she will change and win it.  it's going to be great no matter what.  three great chefs specializing in three completely different styles of food - japanese, mexican, and southern.  

Just now, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Missing sushi v. missing tortilla v. missing potatoes. 

Way to bow up, kids! 

It’s one thing to forget to plate an item that makes your dish. It’s another not to serve an item because it is damaged/unsanitary OR isn’t up to the chef’s standards. The last one is tricky but I would rather have a chef say—I wanted to serve it but it didn’t turn out right. So I didn’t serve it. Ballsy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I think Shota takes it. 

He was my pick. The way he led his entire group during restaurant wars. His silly goofy side with Sara and Avishar. Then learning he was a dad who never gets to see his son. Lots of just ability to go outside his comfort zone. Now seeing how this played out, I don’t think Sara would have made the final three. Shota is a badass. I hope he incorporates what he learns in all the challenges in his style. For the future. 

Edited by Nicole44

Gabe and Shota figured out that if they left things off the plate, they couldn't be sent home either.  Padma sounded like a parent begging their kid to do better at judge's table.  It's beyond ridiculous.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

great episode. if that had been the  finale shota would be top chef.  he's got one more opportunity.   it was interesting that they all three left something out. potatoes are practically flavorless so i cant imaging they would have added more to the dish.  she was already getting rave review and should have kept her lips sealed.  

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

she was already getting rave review and should have kept her lips sealed.  

Because there's no way that the judges could possibly know that she made them?  I always assume the judges know what happens in the kitchen and that many of their questions and comments are intended to see how much integrity a chef has.    

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Hopefully passing her through to the final will be enough to appease the crowd, now we can be done with her. 

I don’t feel that way I guess. I have been ticked off at her all season. In different ways. I’m waiting to see Shota shine. Yeah, like The Shining. I feel he’s holding back. It all comes down to the team you choose. Her dishes apparently are better taste wise enough to keep her there. JMO. And yes, she ticks me off.

I like the 3 person finale.  I think Gabe, Shota, and Dawn have been head and shoulders above the rest since early in the season (it took Dawn a few weeks to get her footing).  I personally have it as Gabe by the slimmest of margins over Shota, with Dawn a clear but respectable third.  I think this is another after effect of Sara not making it back.  I think they expected to add another contestant and fully expected to have a 3 person finale.  When she didn't make it back, they couldn't cut a week, so voila, here we are.  It is a cop out, to be sure, but I also think the best outcome in a season dominated by 3 chefs is to give those chefs the chance to cook their best meal and sort it out.

I, personally, think the issues around Dawn leaving things off the plate are much ado about nothing.  Does it matter?  Sure, I can't say that it is absolutely nothing.  But the show is about developing flavors and executing composed dishes.  If a component is made and gets left off one of ten (or whatever) plates, I really can't be that worked up over it.  If the elements are made, incorporated, and executed for the majority of dishes, then how much does it really matter if one gets left off?  It is already such an artificial environment for the chefs with the goofy challenges, obscene product placements, time restraints, and whatnot.  Being under the gun and missing an element on a plate doesn't suggest to me a deficiency as a chef.  I understand, and respect, those who see it the other way.  Reasonable minds may differ of course.

Along those lines, I think Dawn did the right thing in owning up to leaving the potatoes off her dish for reasons that have nothing to do with integrity.  One thing I've learned in watching this show religiously over the years is that the only opinion that matters is Tom's.  I know some of the other judges were raving and going on about her dish, but as good as it may have been, it lacked the element to deliver more of the sauce to the mouth.  Someone mentioned it during the meal and you could see that Tom agreed with that criticism.  It is either a conceptual flaw or an execution flaw. At this state of the competition, Tom cares a lot about the mind of the chef and how they conceptualize their dishes.  We saw that on display in the cheddar challenge (and what Jamie failed at so miserably).  If I'm Dawn, I'd rather own up to the execution mistake (even knowing leaving elements off has become a recurring criticism), then letting Tom think she had a conceptual flaw.  I think in the eyes of Tom, it is more forgivable to have properly perceived the need for a starch element to sop up the sauce, made the element, but forgot to put it on the plate in the chaos of plating than it is to have made that dish without any consideration of having such an element.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, someguy said:

I like the 3 person finale.  I think Gabe, Shota, and Dawn have been head and shoulders above the rest since early in the season (it took Dawn a few weeks to get her footing).  I personally have it as Gabe by the slimmest of margins over Shota, with Dawn a clear but respectable third.  I think this is another after effect of Sara not making it back.  I think they expected to add another contestant and fully expected to have a 3 person finale.  When she didn't make it back, they couldn't cut a week, so voila, here we are.  It is a cop out, to be sure, but I also think the best outcome in a season dominated by 3 chefs is to give those chefs the chance to cook their best meal and sort it out.

I, personally, think the issues around Dawn leaving things off the plate are much ado about nothing.  Does it matter?  Sure, I can't say that it is absolutely nothing.  But the show is about developing flavors and executing composed dishes.  If a component is made and gets left off one of ten (or whatever) plates, I really can't be that worked up over it.  If the elements are made, incorporated, and executed for the majority of dishes, then how much does it really matter if one gets left off?  It is already such an artificial environment for the chefs with the goofy challenges, obscene product placements, time restraints, and whatnot.  Being under the gun and missing an element on a plate doesn't suggest to me a deficiency as a chef.  I understand, and respect, those who see it the other way.  Reasonable minds may differ of course.

Along those lines, I think Dawn did the right thing in owning up to leaving the potatoes off her dish for reasons that have nothing to do with integrity.  One thing I've learned in watching this show religiously over the years is that the only opinion that matters is Tom's.  I know some of the other judges were raving and going on about her dish, but as good as it may have been, it lacked the element to deliver more of the sauce to the mouth.  Someone mentioned it during the meal and you could see that Tom agreed with that criticism.  It is either a conceptual flaw or an execution flaw. At this state of the competition, Tom cares a lot about the mind of the chef and how they conceptualize their dishes.  We saw that on display in the cheddar challenge (and what Jamie failed at so miserably).  If I'm Dawn, I'd rather own up to the execution mistake (even knowing leaving elements off has become a recurring criticism), then letting Tom think she had a conceptual flaw.  I think in the eyes of Tom, it is more forgivable to have properly perceived the need for a starch element to sop up the sauce, made the element, but forgot to put it on the plate in the chaos of plating than it is to have made that dish without any consideration of having such an element.

I agree with all of that except that the thing that matters about leaving components off the plate is that it’s part of the game. Dawn has gotten a pass four times. There have been chefs that have gone home for doing it once. Especially agree that Tom is the only opinion that matters. 

4 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

The judges aren’t good actors. They had zero idea potatoes were supposed to be on the dish at that point. 

Doesn’t matter, can’t kill Dawn. 

Eh. Be pissed off if you want. Let it be a conspiracy if you want. I think the best chefs are left. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Being the tallest midget ain’t a prize either. 

On 6/25/2021 at 5:48 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I agree with all of that except that the thing that matters about leaving components off the plate is that it’s part of the game. Dawn has gotten a pass four times. There have been chefs that have gone home for doing it once. 

You said the same. She is still around for ‘reasons’ that ain’t got shit to do with cooking. 

Second or third makes no difference, as long as she doesn’t win. 

7 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Eh. Be pissed off if you want. Let it be a conspiracy if you want. I think the best chefs are left. 

I am not sure Dawn is one of the 3 best chefs but she is close to #3 apparently based of the food she makes.  My biggest problem with her is she seems to make a lot of basic dishes.  I get that they taste great and all that but she just made crab boil which is some steamed crabs and she cooked them in a tasty sauce.  I want to see the Top Chef that wins be able to create dishes and blend ingredients in a way nobody really thinks to do and also show their technical skills in the way they handle different foods.  I don’t get that from Dawn at all.  She apparently makes great tasting “southern comfort” food but in past years they have had chefs in that same category do the southern thing but make food that looks and sounds a lot better than what she makes.  I am fine with her making it this far I guess but she is not in the same league as the other 2 in my opinion.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I am not sure Dawn is one of the 3 best chefs but she is close to #3 apparently based of the food she makes.  My biggest problem with her is she seems to make a lot of basic dishes.  I get that they taste great and all that but she just made crab boil which is some steamed crabs and she cooked them in a tasty sauce.  I want to see the Top Chef that wins be able to create dishes and blend ingredients in a way nobody really thinks to do and also show their technical skills in the way they handle different foods.  I don’t get that from Dawn at all.  She apparently makes great tasting “southern comfort” food but in past years they have had chefs in that same category do the southern thing but make food that looks and sounds a lot better than what she makes.  I am fine with her making it this far I guess but she is not in the same league as the other 2 in my opinion.  

Kevin Gillespie is one of my all time favorite contestants and he makes pretty straight forward southern food. That said, he also seems like he would kick Dawn’s ass in the chef world. I don’t know. There are a lot of things I don’t like about her. 

I think this has been a good season but I also understand the complaints. I think a lot of those complaints come as a result of this season immediately following last years All.Stars. I just re=watched season 17 and it is ,by far, the best Top Chef season. Lot's of talent with an amazing finale arc in Tuscany. That finale meal  looked incredible. Stephanie's touching underdog story, Voltaggio' finding a heart to go along with his technical proficiency and Melissa's creation of a brand new cuisine was extremely compelling to watch. 

Edited by TonyTexas

On 6/27/2021 at 7:32 AM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Agree with this, I'm pulling for Shota and think Dawn is a deserving but distant third for purposes of the competition, but of the three, if I had to choose someone to cook me a meal that I would enjoy I would choose Dawn.  For my personal taste her food has looked pretty awesome all season.

On 6/27/2021 at 6:50 AM, Biff Tannen said:

Kevin Gillespie is one of my all time favorite contestants and he makes pretty straight forward southern food. That said, he also seems like he would kick Dawn’s ass in the chef world. I don’t know. There are a lot of things I don’t like about her. 

She's kind of whiny.  Kevin Gillespie would eat Dawn up for lunch.  Only natural to assume that as there are more shows, there's less talent right?  Though it's a huge pool of cooks I suppose.  Idk, I just feel there's been plenty of more talented seasons.

2 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

She's kind of whiny.  Kevin Gillespie would eat Dawn up for lunch.  Only natural to assume that as there are more shows, there's less talent right?  Though it's a huge pool of cooks I suppose.  Idk, I just feel there's been plenty of more talented seasons.

I fully agree this is not one of the more talented seasons, top to bottom anyway. Gotta think Covid had a big affect on bringing out the top talent. I think next season will be back to the good shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I fully agree this is not one of the more talented seasons, top to bottom anyway. Gotta think Covid had a big affect on bringing out the top talent. I think next season will be back to the good shit. 

I've been saying this all season.  COVID obviously had a lot of impact on several aspects of the season, first and foremost the list of willing participants.  

24 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I thought going in that covid might have pulled in a better pool just because so many restaurants had been closed down.  It guess it just worked that way for the Judge's panels.

I'm sure timing played a role.  Many chefs may have had their hands full trying to keep their places open and keep their staffs paid, and leaving to compete on Top Chef wasn't something they were willing to do under the circumstances.  I'm just spitballing here.  Obviously, I have no idea how any of this went down.  

It is also unfair to compare it to the last season, which was All Stars, as was mentioned above.  Both the All Stars seasons were head and shoulders above the regular seasons, as should be expected.  Though from a pure enjoyment standpoint, I still think Colorado was a gem.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, someguy said:

The Vegas season was my favorite.  Amazing high end talent that season.

Yeah, way up there for me too.  Voltaggios, Jen, Kevin, and even a young Mike Isabella and Eli.  This was still back in the days of highly competitive gamesmanship, which I grew tired of, but this was the best season until the first All-Stars, in my opinion.