Bourbon

Jimbaround

Went into wb by my Costco yesterday and sitting on the shelf was a woodford masters collection batch proof at 124 proof. And they had the piglets sitting around so I grabbed three sets.

I was a little underwhelmed by the woodford, it tasted very brown Forman-y so it was way more similar in profile to an old forestor barrel pick than I expected rather than a woody sweet intense woodford double double Oaked type I was hoping for.

57b8bd08c9df0deb73ee1f6cf21b63c6.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Went into wb by my Costco yesterday and sitting on the shelf was a woodford masters collection batch proof at 124 proof. And they had the piglets sitting around so I grabbed three sets.

I was a little underwhelmed by the woodford, it tasted very brown Forman-y so it was way more similar in profile to an old forestor barrel pick than I expected rather than a woody sweet intense woodford double double Oaked type I was hoping for.

57b8bd08c9df0deb73ee1f6cf21b63c6.jpg

I wish I had bought 2. 3 was too much. Pretty good, but yeah I wanted more. 

Goody goody has a bundle of something called Journeyman and Russels 13 for about $195. I wanna do it but I don’t wanna have to purchase some shit bourbon they’re trying to offload. Admittedly I know nothing about journeyman. Maybe it’s great. I don’t know. I haven’t heard anything about it on this thread which means something. Anyways….it feels like I’m paying $200 for the 13. It’s not that paying it bothers me. It’s the principle of the matter. Am I wrong? Is RR13 worth the $200?

7 minutes ago, Txslnghrns said:

Goody goody has a bundle of something called Journeyman and Russels 13 for about $195. I wanna do it but I don’t wanna have to purchase some shit bourbon they’re trying to offload. Admittedly I know nothing about journeyman. Maybe it’s great. I don’t know. I haven’t heard anything about it on this thread which means something. Anyways….it feels like I’m paying $200 for the 13. It’s not that paying it bothers me. It’s the principle of the matter. Am I wrong? Is RR13 worth the $200?

I’d do it. RR is about $140 after taxes. All of the Journeyman line is in the $50-60 range. If you don’t like Journeyman, just use it in cocktails. 

I’d kill for Goody Goody bundles down here. Also an excellent way to cut into the flippers’ profit margins. 

• Like 1

I grabbed the last Russells Reserve 13 year at the Goody Goody near me today.  I was forced into a bundle also but this was paired with a $8 bottle of red wine.  The manager at the store was telling me how great the wine was and how bourbon drinkers love it.  I told him when I drink red wine I stick to Silver Oak, Caymus or Opus 1 but will buy his wine to use the next time I need to cook with wine. I also went to Total Wine near me and grabbed a ECBP 9 year store pick or something like that.  I wasn’t sure if those are hard to get or always on the shelf now but I couldn’t resist.  Last purchase was a Redwood Empire Pipe Dream for like $35.  I actually like the Redwood Empire as a cheap daily sipper for a lower proof bourbon.

On 8/8/2023 at 1:32 PM, Txslnghrns said:

I’d go $200 on one if you generally like Turkey, barrel proof and older and don’t mind a relatively oaky, less sweet profile. It’s really good and I get the feeling it’s going to be pretty easy to find in the next couple of years. 

47 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Our whiskey group had a tasting with the rep from Compass Box.
First real scotch experience,
They have some tasty stuff.
The Spaniard was my personal favorite
I do know I hate peated shit for sure.

Thought the same thing the first time I tried it, but it grew on me and I now really like it.

Finally bit the bullet on this, been in my Amazon cart for a year.
No more dreaded brown spots at the bottom of a glen.
8c138d94518d347b433151c8044286ca.png
And a great bottle I forgot I had until I reorganized my shelves.

df6f685f913cc569ed578a438183e7a1.jpg

Actually found a whole lineup of OG High West yesterday as I was digging under the stairs, so I feel ya there.

Very jealous of the glass rinser… wife was convinced that it would make the kitchen look “cluttered” so it didn’t sneak through. :(

On 8/13/2023 at 7:27 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Finally bit the bullet on this, been in my Amazon cart for a year.
No more dreaded brown spots at the bottom of a glen.
8c138d94518d347b433151c8044286ca.png
And a great bottle I forgot I had until I reorganized my shelves.
emoji1786.pngemoji1786.pngemoji1786.png
df6f685f913cc569ed578a438183e7a1.jpg

Love the rinse.

Love the bottle, just not what comes in it.

5 days of the BT and Baby Saz with the Amburana cubes was all they needed.
Both are really damn tasty.
Don’t think I’m gonna blend them.
Just enjoy them.
Here’s the link if anyone wants to play around with them.

https://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/amburana-wood-cubes-medium-toast-2-oz/beer-brewing-oak

I put 7 cubes in each bottle and tasted each day after 3 days in.

• Like 1

I believe Spec’s Dallas and Houston dropped McKenna10 this morning, and possibly Larceny Barrel Strength this evening. 

I picked up my annual allotment for Rock Hill Farms and Elmer T. Lee after work today. Not 1 peep from my guy about the Larceny BS. Oh well, I guess it beats following around the Buffalo Trace truck all day. 

Had a couple. It’s ok. Spicy as f which I like in a rye. Charcoal on the palate. It’s ok as a gift and I’ll finish it. Was hoping for more based on prior reviews. 

maybe it will be better in a couple years. Got golf with the boss in 8 hours. Will see how the smell factor is. 

50 minutes ago, HouTex said:

So Spec's Fountain View even had Weller SR today in 750 ML and 1.5.  I haven’t seen Weller SR in the wild in Houston in about a year.  What gives?

We get it in this area pretty regularly

Edited by Mo Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Holy goddamned Christ on a cracker. The only Spec's I'll go to has a manager that always takes care of me. Says he's got a McKenna 10 if I want it. Yeah sure toss it in the box. Didn't pay any attention at the register. Get home and that $30 bottle was $58.99 before tax. New Riff single barrel was only $56. Fuck

Holy goddamned Christ on a cracker. The only Spec's I'll go to has a manager that always takes care of me. Says he's got a McKenna 10 if I want it. Yeah sure toss it in the box. Didn't pay any attention at the register. Get home and that $30 bottle was $58.99 before tax. New Riff single barrel was only $56. Fuck

That’s been msrp on the McKenna for a long while now.

Bullshit price for that bottle